What is your "2nd grader" doing ? *NEED HELP WITH CURRICULUM* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-20-2006, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have been struggling with pulling dd1 (8yo) out of school (AGAIN!) because she has had a really hard year, and wants to come back home.

That said, I'm sure in *my* heart that she belongs at home, so we are pulling her out of ps, and she's going to be hs'ed from now on.

I'm looking into curriculum, etc for her for the rest of the year.

Here is what I was thinking so far:
HWT Cursive (she prints great now)
Saxon Math, this is what she's doing in school now and it's working fine

We have FIAR, so we will probably do that for Social Studies, and extra reading

I am thinking *maybe* getting a set of Abeka readers, since we like them... and you can never have too many books.

I need to find something for spelling, maybe science but other than that, not sure what else I need.
#2 of 5 Old 01-20-2006, 04:13 PM

My 2nd grader ds is doing:

* Math: Miquon Math green book and some Algebra from this *really great* book: http://tinyurl.com/dksug (it features fun characters who tell a story and work out their "puzzles" along the way)
* Spelling: Spelling workout Level C
* History: Story of the World - volume 1 (Ancients)
* Grammar: First Language Lessons and English from the roots up (Greek and Latin roots)
* Science: we follow TWTM's schedule (loosely) and right now we're doing earth science using this book http://tinyurl.com/e49hv - we've been at it for weeks now and there's still so much "meat" to this book. Also miscellaneous snake books from the library since ds really wants a pet snake and is just devouring snake information like crazy! We also do nature study / walks in our local botanical garden whenever the weather permits (and lately we have had some gorgeous days here with temps in the 50's).
My ds is also attending a weekly science class at a university - electrical circuits, solids and gases, etc. Fun stuff.
* He reads at least one book aloud to me every day. More depending on how much time we have.

Things like geography, social studies, etc. are all just covered by daily life, reading tons of books from the library and / or games - all unscheduled, mostly sporadic, but more fun this way!
#3 of 5 Old 01-20-2006, 04:18 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
My 2nd-grader is unschooled, so I'm not sure if this will be helpful. I'm also not totally sure whether she's 2nd-grade age by US standards (I'm in Canada). She was born 11/98, FWIW.

She reads for pleasure from a variety of novels. Prefers mostly fantasy. I read aloud to her from a variety of novels. Lots of fantasy but also a lot of historical fiction. Browses through our non-fiction books with great relish.

Watches a documentary or two a week. She's working hard at music (violin) and note-reading lately, and is about to join the community orchestra next week for two of their simpler numbers. She's learning to spell just fine from corresponding almost-daily with an 18yo friend who is away at college on MSN.

She does a lot of imaginary play with her siblings and is working on a website with them, contributing stories and doing some of the web editing herself.

She's got involved in a kids' radio group that's producing a handful of half-hour pieces for a local co-op radio station. She is in a garden/environmental club I help run. She takes a weekly art class. She likes to cook and recently got keen on knitting. She loves playing family games like "Settlers of Catan", "Set" and chess.

She's working through Singapore Math in fits and starts. Likes it a lot.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 5 Old 01-20-2006, 04:56 PM

This is my first year homeschooling my 2nd grader. We are doing SL adv reader LA, Scott-Foresman math (which I'm pitching, so I guess we are actually doing flashcards, manipulatives and math games for math) Following his interests for science and reading (which is is very accomplished at) and HWT for cursive. Then we do some unit studies (which I am abhorants at putting together) Art is just whatever whenever (I'm an artist so that usually inspires him, but his is really not an artist)

Good luck.
#5 of 5 Old 01-22-2006, 04:51 PM

We are actually enrolled in Oregon's Connections Academy. www.connectionsacademy.com

My 2nd grader is using the full Calvert Home School Curriculum.

Some of the problems I have with it.

1. I think there is too much writing expected of the younger kids. We skip some of it.

2. Their S.S. is about four paragraphs about the subject, color a picture, then move on to the next subject. My DD, who is very into geography and SS, is generally left with more questions than answers after the lesson.

My mom teachers the Science and Art and says that with the Science whenever it starts to get interesting and they start to learn something, it just moves on to something else. The art is very "art historish" which is OK, but there aren't any real "fun" art activities. We have mostly cut this out and do our own thing.

Other than that it seems OK. We aren't having any problems with the math other than the regrouping. Honestly "I" don't get it! It is supposed to introduce the child to carrying and borrowing, but since it confuses me more than anything I just skiped it and moved on to the carrying and borrowing.

The reading is OK except that it combines too much "teaching" to read in the lessons and my daughter can already read. I would love to skip it but there are also a lot of things in there that she HASN'T learned and I don't want to miss something important which might render her a horrible speller like me.

I don't know if I helped any but this is what my 2nd grader is doing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page