working full time/homeschooling/laws.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-23-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I work outside the home full time. My ds wants to hs. He is only 10. I don't think that legally I can leave him home alone all the time like that. But I am not having any luck finding state laws. Or rather I found a site that says only two states have actual 'laws' but that all states have guidelines. I cannot find any of these 'guidelines' for our state.
I have heard before that the age is 12 or 13.
Quitting my job is not an option, or I would have done it a long time ago.
Anyone here in a similar situation?
Any suggestions?
thanks
Stacy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-23-2006, 07:57 PM

one good thing about hs'ing is that you don't have to do it the same time as reg school and you can spend less time on the same subject.(I think something like 15min hs is the same as 1 hour of ps work) Can you get a 'baby sitter'? Maybe one that homeschools a few kids and could help, encourage. She could come to your house w/ her kids or you could drop your ds off.(she wouldn't do any teaching, but your ds could help her). Then, if she needed to have some time away you could watch her kids.
If this isn't an option(which it may not be) maybe you could ask for a different schedule(ie evenings?).
Sorry I can't be of much help.
#3 of 7 Old 01-23-2006, 08:12 PM

I work full time and HS. But as far as the kids. They come to work with me and do their book work there. And then we do "real school" as I call it after work.

AM
#4 of 7 Old 01-23-2006, 08:55 PM

OK, going out on a limb with this but....how mature is your 10-year-old and do you live in a (relatively) safe area? I would consider giving him the option to stay home, provided that he understands that he will probably not be able to have friend over until you come home.

I know that it was written several years ago, but John Holt gave this advice to a mother who had to work and had a much younger child. He thought that the boy being on his own much of the day was way better than going to school. He wrote about this in Teach Your Own. If your ds wants to do it and could use the time productively (for me that would mean responsibly reading, cooking-no oven or stove, maybe doing a little laundry, researching on the computer.) Why not? Really, if your son is responsible enough and he could wait until after school hours to see his friends and go out for activities, I'd be on board.
Although, I probably wouldn't advertise that he was alone for 8 hours a day, KWIM?
#5 of 7 Old 01-24-2006, 02:19 AM

I agree with briansmama
#6 of 7 Old 01-24-2006, 03:21 AM

I think I would feel more comfortable with my 10 year old at a friends or extended families for that long of a period. Im not sure a 10 year old would liked to be alone for that long of a period either but then again, every kid is different.

amseiler, welcome. What is it you do where you are able to bring the kids? That's so cool and a luxury to be getting paid and have your children near by. I bring my kids to work also but I only work 12 hours a week.

Oh, and welcome to blbcHelvsme and stacydh as I see you are new members as well!
#7 of 7 Old 01-24-2006, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think that if you leave a 10 year old alone all day to supposedly homeschool, you'll be on the evening news as soon as someone hears about it, and it won't be good news.

It will also give homeschoolers one more black mark. Rarely do you hear about good news associated with homeschooling in the media (it seems it is always in connection with abuse : )

In which state do you reside? The laws and guidelines of homeschooling are not that difficult to find.

Homeschooling means the complete involvement of the parent(s) in the educational and teaching process. It does not mean a child left home alone all day to supposedly study without any supervision. What is he to do if he has questions about anything? Where is the interplay in the educational experience? Your son needs to have an educator with him, whether it is you or a tutor.

Why does your son want to hs? Where did he hear about hs? Does he just think hs sounds cool? Is he having problems in the school he currently attends?

It sounds more like you are interested in finding out what your state law has to say about your son being alone than what the law says about homeschooling.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page