I am so sick - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-25-2006, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
of people who say homeschoolers are sheltering their kids from the realities of life. Are they kidding or what?? I feel that homeschoolers are the ones out in the real world experiencing life first hand, interacting with real people of all different ages, and learning real life skills. Just because the media only reports about the fanatics and radicals, all of us are labeled as such. I am hearing this garbage so often lately. I guess after seeing how homeschoolers are academically (and usually socially) superior to schooled kids, they need to find something else to complain about. :

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
DD(18) Graduate of the (real) Fame school, now a Dance Theater major at a performing arts conservatory
DS(13) Experiential Charlotte Mason homeschooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-25-2006, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amen Sister!

Don't let the turkeys get you down...

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#3 of 11 Old 02-25-2006, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citymomx3
of people who say homeschoolers are sheltering their kids from the realities of life. Are they kidding or what?? I feel that homeschoolers are the ones out in the real world experiencing life first hand, interacting with real people of all different ages, and learning real life skills. Just because the media only reports about the fanatics and radicals, all of us are labeled as such. I am hearing this garbage so often lately. I guess after seeing how homeschoolers are academically (and usually socially) superior to schooled kids, they need to find something else to complain about. :
That's pretty comical when you really think about what they are saying.

For so long tribal societies raised the young together. They played, worked, and learned around the adults and had purpose. When the child hit the point where they were going through their "change" there were ceremonies, rights of passages and celebration to bring them in to adult life. Elders were respected and everyone had their place.

Now we take kids away from not only their parents but their sisters and brothers and grandparents and set them in an enclosed building. All with the same age and one adult for guidance where contrived learning takes place. They are so far removed from the earth that it makes it hard to teach a love for living things because it's all done from books. Besides their 1/2 recess and lunch and occasional field trip.

With few elders, there is a lack of respect. Kids bully kids to try and fit in to this weird pecking order that school creates. Much of what they learn doesn't sink in because kids are not ready, not interested yet, tricked, rewarded, pressured, manipulated, or need to be taught in a different way . Teachers are burned out and kids know it. The rituals for kids are to get dumped in a trash can as a freshman (or worse nowadays) or to take 21 shots of hard liquor at their 21st birthday. I find that sickening.

If those are the realities of life, I'm all for having my kids skip them. Do I want a insecure, over-stimulated, hates learning, non trusting, fear of getting shot in school type of child? No thanks. Of course all public schooled kids don't turn out this way but too many of them do. School are broken. People have forgotten how very important and how well tribal societies worked.

So when folks talk of "reality", school life may be reality at this time in life but homeschoolers are shaking up what people see as reality. And that's a good thing.
#4 of 11 Old 02-25-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I feel that homeschoolers are the ones out in the real world experiencing life first hand, interacting with real people of all different ages, and learning real life skills.
It is ironic, isn't it?

I recently became aware of criticism of homeschooling within my church community (I am Unitarian Universalist). So I researched that a bit....looked up some back issues of a UU publication and read a couple of articles. I don't remember if these articles were in the same issue or subsequent ones, but I found 2 articles that (considered together) blew my mind. One was on homeschooling, with the criticism that the homeschooled kids are sheltered and don't have a chance to work with "different" people. The other was on overscheduling, and how kids have no time to just "be".

The irony, of course, is that homeschooling can provide the perfect balance for many families! If you take out the school hours, there is plenty of time for "extracurricular" activities, resulting in well-rounded, interesting people. And, obviously, if they are involved in all of these extracurricular activities, they have lots of opportunities to be with all different kids. Why isn't that obvious? Why do people have such a difficult time understanding that there is life outside of school?
#5 of 11 Old 02-25-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama
The other was on overscheduling, and how kids have no time to just "be".
That's interesting -- I always cite "time to just be" as a reason *for* homeschooling!

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#6 of 11 Old 02-25-2006, 10:37 PM

While I can understand the stereotype - it is not universal!

I am planning to unschool my son. When I looked into homeschooling in my area I met A LOT of christian parents who use it as a way to shelter their kids....some openly admitted that they keep their kids out of school so that they can indoctrinate them with their "values". I spoke to one woman who teaches Bible (her words) for 3 hours each day. The idea of that completely rubs me the wrong way and almost turned me against it. I've only found two parents in my area who share my sentiments. I am choosing to keep my child home so that I can expose him to many ideas and to help him learn to think critically... not to become a religious robot.
#7 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 12:27 AM

One of the biggest reasons we homeschool is so I CAN shelter my kids. There is nothing wrong with shelter. I see shelter and safe haven as basically the same. My kids experience the outside world every day , not just on field trips, and they do it safely with guidance from a bunch of adults (parents, grandparents ,great-grandparents) who care for them. Ain't nuthing wrong with a lil bit of shelter. This whole "they are six years old and ready for school , toss 'em out there" attitude really bugs me.

re: religion/Christianity
Yup , for us religion was a big factor. Being a very spirtiual family , Christianity plays a huge role for us. A massive role really. I cannot fathom teaching bible three hours a day , but it's not unusual for us to yank out the bible to compare it with just about anything we come across...cartoons , fiction ,science , math , history....our bible is , we believe , our biggest learning tool and we use it a lot. I wanted my kids to have the freedom to look in it whenever they wanted and not have to hide their faith like I see so many public schooled kids do.

I also wanted my kids to have the freedom to question what they hear. They can't do that in a public school setting.
#8 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
I guess after seeing how homeschoolers are academically (and usually socially) superior to schooled kids, they need to find something else to complain about. :
Oh, there will always be something - it just keeps jumping around as the myths get shot down. It's just something that a lot of people love to hate. Fortunately, those who have open minds have started to realize what a good thing it can be. I was at a women's conference this weekend, and there was a discussion group about education. About half the people in it were teachers - very loving and dedicated ones who make sure good things happen for the kids in their classrooms - but two of us who mentioned homeschooling didn't meet with any negative vibes at all, which is not the way it would have been some years ago. Lillian
#9 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
but two of us who mentioned homeschooling didn't meet with any negative vibes at all, which is not the way it would have been some years ago.
Amen!
Most of the school teachers I know are very supportive of my homeschooling ,sweetly offering me help if I ever need it. I've only run into a handful of teachers who think homeschoolers are evil and doing wrong by their kids.
#10 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 02:32 AM

I cringe too when I hear this!

My Dad is like,"They'll never fit into the real world." Uhhh Dad (I say!) they are int the real world! Dd can go into the HFS and make a basket full of purchases,she requests a paper bag, and asks them to recycle the receipt. She can go into the library and find whatever book she wants to. She can do a load of laundry start to finish at a laundromat.

I now have her emailing them about what she did all week.

I love being in the minority. It suits my Pieces personality the best!!

Shrug,shrug, shrug to those who don't agree!!

mp

Someone always has to have something to bi!@# about!

>>>>>>>>GO APOLLO<<<<<<< YA-HOOOOO!!!!!
#11 of 11 Old 02-27-2006, 12:15 AM

I fully intend on "sheltering" my ds via homeschooling. Public school is a scary place these days!

But aside from that, it really is such an illogical argument. In what other phase of your life do you sit around hour after hour, day after day, with a bunch of people your age? Certainly not in the workforce, or in our neighborhoods, or our churches/places of worship. I could go on and on. How this is supposed to get kids ready for "the real world" is beyond me!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page