Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Learning at Home and Beyond (http://www.mothering.com/forum/50-learning-home-beyond/)
-   -   Shall I sign-up for a school district plan or go the private school route in CA? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/50-learning-home-beyond/416138-shall-i-sign-up-school-district-plan-go-private-school-route-ca.html)

ajsmom 02-26-2006 10:21 PM

We had planned to fill out the simple forms to be a private school here in California. We have to do this next October when ds is 6.

I met some nice homeschoolers at the park who are part of a City of Santa Cruz Homeschooling program that has great resources, a center, newsletter, lots of fun stuff and everything looks great, BUT...

Because these kids are part of the SC city schools, they have to take the tests required of all California school children to graduate. They also have to take standardized tests unless we write a note to get out of it.

Also. we have to meet regularly with a professional counselor to establish and review learning goals for our son. One mom who really likes unschooling told me she was fine with the counselor because theirs was really laid back and easy to work with. I didn't know about the testing so didn't get to ask her about it.

I could go check the place out. I am still on the fence because we fully expect him to do well if he were to take tests. Also, he wears me out sometimes and we could use a break from each other which this place could provide. This is not a reason to choose this center but although he can read almost at a middle school level, he is just learning manners, socially appropriate behavior and some of the group activities may provide a nice setting for him to practice these.

Have you been in a group like this? Did you like it? Hate it? Have any pearls for me?
Thanks,
Rebecca

Dar 02-26-2006 10:49 PM

I've known quite a few people in the ISP you mention - I'm pretty sure that one is someone who posts here, but I'm blanking on her name. I've heard more positive things about it than about any other ISP in California, both in terms of what they offer and how they interact with families.

I wouldn't worry about the high school exit exam at this point - if it's still an issue in 12 years, you can file a PSA then and pull out, but that's a long time away, and the ed laws change quickly.

dar

ajsmom 02-26-2006 11:06 PM

What are you planning for your graduate or are you already doing the PSA thing?

Your posts have been so helpful over the last few years. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and insight!