Decompression time/Deschooling - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-03-2006, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've lost part of the list I had of good articles on decompression/deschooling, and would like to get together a more complete one. Anyone have suggestions to add to these? Or just some words of their own on the subject? It would be nice to be able to just link to one thread for all this - the subject comes up so often, and it's nice to not have to keep rewriting the wheel , so to speak... Lillian

Transitions To and From Homeschoolilng:
http://www.hsc.org/protransitions.html

Older Kids - Decompression:
http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/HEM161....9_clmn_ok.html

What is Deschooling?
http://www.nhen.org/newhser/default.asp?id=233

Decompression (also has section on spelling):
http://homeedmag.com/HEM/186/ndqanda.html
#2 of 17 Old 03-03-2006, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I should add something I wrote on the subject years ago:
Making the Most of Decompression Time
One fairly universal dynamic is the need for a decompression period after leaving school. The intensity of the need for decompression time is usually in direct proportion to the time that was spent in school and to whether or not (or to what degree) it was a difficult experience. Time allowed for the mysterious but necessary process of finding one's own rhythm is as legitimate and useful as formal academic study might be at this point. A child who suddenly has the opportunity to think for himself, learn in his own way, and work out his own schedule might appear as if he is not "doing" much, but this phase gradually evolves into more active interests and activities. The pot will generally come to a boil faster when it isn't watched with restless anticipation.

This can be a special and delicate time for your family—a time for getting to know and trust in one another in a new way—and it's a time to relish. This is a great time to relax and read to the family, take walks and field trips, bake and do crafts, and leisurely pursue special interests—all those wonderful things there was no time for earlier. You will find rich opportunities for learning everywhere! A wonderful aspect of homeschooling is the opportunity to actively pursue your own interests in a personalized way; time tends to reveal more and more possibilities for learning many unexpected things through those interests.
Incidentally, I remember a mom who jokingly wrote to an email list I belonged to that she thinks those of us who keep urging people to allow for a decompression time are really just trying to stall people so they'll notice that unschooling works. She said that while she had been hanging out with her kids as they decompressed from school, she began to notice how they had eventually started to become interested in things she wasn't trying to promote, and to learn like crazy on their own. Although she was being facetious, I realized that there's really a lot of truth to the fact that if you're relaxing, you actually can begin to see how that natural process works while you're waiting to jump in and meddle with it. - Lillian
#3 of 17 Old 03-03-2006, 04:00 PM

Here's one by Sandra Dodd, and she's got a whole bunch of links to deschooling articles at the bottom of the page.

Deschooling for Parents
http://sandradodd.com/deschooling

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#4 of 17 Old 03-03-2006, 08:05 PM

I'm so glad you started this because I was about to ask the question yet again
#5 of 17 Old 03-03-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J
I remember a mom who jokingly wrote to an email list I belonged to that she thinks those of us who keep urging people to allow for a decompression time are really just trying to stall people so they'll notice that unschooling works. She said that while she had been hanging out with her kids as they decompressed from school, she began to notice how they had eventually started to become interested in things she wasn't trying to promote, and to learn like crazy on their own. Although she was being facetious, I realized that there's really a lot of truth to the fact that if you're relaxing, you actually can begin to see how that natural process works while you're waiting to jump in and meddle with it. - Lillian
This is so funny to me, we are homeschooling kindergarten, my DH and I are both self employed and Feb is a really busy time for me, so we are on "a break" (gotta love HS) I swear she has learned more in this time than when I was "sitting down" and teaching her. Plus I find she is much more interested after some down time.

Kim
#6 of 17 Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddoson
This is so funny to me, we are homeschooling kindergarten, my DH and I are both self employed and Feb is a really busy time for me, so we are on "a break" (gotta love HS) I swear she has learned more in this time than when I was "sitting down" and teaching her. Plus I find she is much more interested after some down time.
Yeah, when you think about someone being able to observe and learn in their own personal way - from the inside - it makes sense that the learning is going to be more efficient than if someone on the outside is trying to orchestrate what and how to learn. I think there are limits on how well we can "teach" people, really - we can suggest things to try in the process of learning, but we're all so much better at finding our own internal ways of learning. Just one of those things... I think that's why decompression time is so vital - when a child has been sitting there in a classroom for years being told what and how to learn, they have some real internal reconstruction to do.

I remember the first time I was able to ride a bike - it was like "Oh! That's what it is!" I guess someone with a knack for putting words to physical sensations could have helped explain what it was I was shooting for, but maybe not, because no one had. And you hear of all different ways that people learn to read - all attacking the process from different angles. We're all so different... I'm right on the edge of starting to ramble... - Lillian
#7 of 17 Old 03-04-2006, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Deschooling
http://sandradodd.com/pattiedeschooling

Institutionalization and Deschooling: The Death and Resurrection of the Self
http://www.education-reform.net/inst...nalization.htm

What is Deschooling?
http://www.livingjoyfully.ca/unschoo...eschooling.htm

Deschooling: taking the school out of homeschool
http://www.culturekitchen.com/archives/000009.html

Lillian
#8 of 17 Old 03-04-2006, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Deschooling for Parents
http://sandradodd.com/deschooling
nice article. though our taste in cinema differs entirely.... and she seems to think they are rather impt!

no longer momsling.GIF or ecbaby2.gif orfly-by-nursing1.gif ... dd is going on 10 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

#9 of 17 Old 03-06-2006, 11:41 AM

IMO DEschooling ought to have it's own sticky.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#10 of 17 Old 03-07-2006, 01:56 AM

What a bunch of great resources! It's not a link, but the first place I learned about the concept of deschooling was in a book: The Teenage Liberation Handbook, so I thought I should post that too. Thanks for starting the thread Lillian!
#11 of 17 Old 03-08-2006, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Just came across another really good one!

DETOX:
http://www.nhen.org/nhen/pov/editors/default.asp?id=492

Excerpt:
"Someone once said that beginning to homeschool was like moving to another country. In many ways, they were right. When traveling to another country, it is important for all new citizens to take inoculations. When traveling to Homeschooolland, it is necessary for all new citizens to "detox"--to rid themselves of the deleterious effects that Publicschoolland has had on their education." Lillian
#12 of 17 Old 10-26-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to paste a list of links in this old thread to bookmark - some of the URLs are too long to stay intact, so it means having to make new links each time I want to post them:

Transitions To and From Homeschoolilng

What is Deschooling?

Decompression (also has section on spelling)

Deschooling for Parents

Deschooling

Institutionalization and Deschooling: The Death and Resurrection of the Self

Deschooling: taking the school out of homeschool

Lillian

#13 of 17 Old 11-19-2006, 01:59 AM

The link on 'Deschooling for Parents' was JUST what I needed! I highly recommend it to all newbies!!
#14 of 17 Old 11-30-2006, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

It occurred to me that it might be a good idea to bump up this thread - because the subject is coming up a lot right now. It might be one of those cyclical things - maybe late fall, coming into winter, is one of those times when people who've recently started homeschooling tend to come up against doubts and struggles. Lillian
#15 of 17 Old 11-30-2006, 05:49 AM

Thank you lillian. Im loving you loads these days!! Your really looking after us!
#16 of 17 Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseccup View Post
IMO DEschooling ought to have it's own sticky.
:

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#17 of 17 Old 12-11-2006, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
:
And : to that! - Lillian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page