Calvert School? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-15-2002, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone used the Calvert School curriculum? What do you think about it? I'm interested in "classical education" and have heard that Calvert is the closest there is.

DS is 4.5 but has already "mastered" most of the kindergarten basics. Still, I want to give Calvert's kindergarten program a try since ds and I both like the idea of using a curriculum (we've been unschooling until now), and I think it would be a good review.

Any thoughts and/or sharing of experience would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

faeriemom

P.S. From what I see, Calvert does not appear to be christian-based (which is good for us, because we aren't a christian family), but can anyone confirm this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-19-2002, 10:41 PM

If your ds has already mastered the kindergarten skills, I wouldn't purchase the K curriculum from Calvert - at least the first half of the math is pre-K stuff. Yawn, boring. I had to skip most of it. I'm not impressed with the reading, either - the stories are fine, as are the activities that go along with them, but your ds is not going to learn how to read with it, IMHO. I just started my ds (5.5 yo) with Reading Reflex, and love it. I'm not "sorry" I bought Calvert, b/c I needed the support of a spoon fed curriculum at the beginning of the year, but it really isn't worth the money I spent on it - I'm basically ignoring most of it! The science is so simplistic and boring, too, btw. ugh.

No, Calvert isn't Christian, but it does include "national" holidays - Christmas included.

I wouldn't call Calvert a 'classical education'.
#3 of 3 Old 01-20-2002, 11:30 AM

Have you looked into "The Well Trained Mind"? It is a book that guides you through creating your own classical curriculum, tells you in what order to do things, which resources are the best etc. It isn't my cup of tea, but some people just love it.

http://welltrainedmind.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page