Mothering Forum banner

3yo can't share mom!

395 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mum2boys 
#1 ·
I know this is normal behavior for a 3yo, but as a new homeschooler(just starte in Jan) I am going crazy! My older two boys are 8 and 6, and any time we try and get work done my 3yo acts up, doing things he knows he is not supposed to for attention. I have given him his own things to do, tried to include him ect., but he just really doesn't want to share me. Any suggestions?

Guilt, guilt, guilt, I ended up putting him in his room to be alone today, while he shreaked that he wanted out and was scared. But when I went to get him out he started right back up again. My older boys really need some one on one time.

Amber

#2 ·
Maybe you could find a special person (like a pre-teen) to come play with him while you have one-on-one time with the older kids. Do you have a dp who can take him on outings in the evenings or weekends? My ds tends to be the same way about wanting all my attention if no one else is actively engaging him, but I can see that he is growing out of it now that he is approaching 5.

#3 ·
I have a 3 yo and a 6 yo. I tend to do table work with my 6 yo first thing in the morning as we are finishing breakfast, everyone is in a good mood, I ask the 3 yo what she wants to work on, usually paint, color, playdough...she does that while I work with ds. If she gets antsy, she comes to sit on my lap or she can run around and play. I also have my ds do his reading aloud with her sitting between us to see the pictures-- we usually find a book she is interested in.

I also really try to include her (which can be annoying much of the time ;-). We play a lot of games to practice math skills and I always include her (I pretty much "play" for her), when we do science experiments, she is always right there with some part of the project, if we work on something on the computer, I put her on my lap and find somethign for her to have a turn.

I have found, finding a good time of day and just sticking with that routine really helpful. At other points during the day, if the 3 yo is engaged in something, I will also try to work with my son-- talking about what we have read, making plans, trying out stuff on the computer, reading a chapter from a book. The only drag about our schedule is that I am usually in my pajamas until about 11-- it could be worse

#5 ·
Thanks for all of the good advice. Looking back I think we were just having a truly horrible day. I have been having the older boys take turns entertaining him and that helps. Also, I have been alternating some quiet time just for him into the time I spend working with the other boys.

Amber

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.