Enki Homeschooling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 133 Old 05-05-2006, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there. I've asked about Enki here before but didn't hear much back. I'm trying a year of homeschooling with DS who's 4.5 and has been in waldorf the last two years. I'd like to continue with a waldorf-inspired approach (we meet with a waldorf gorup 1 day a week for eurythmy and circle time/crafts), but not so rigidly. I love what I've seen about Enki but it is so expensive.

Is anyone using the materials, and/or combining them with other curriculum. DS is ready for somethign a bit more structured and I'd like to invest in some good, inspiring materials, but don't have a ton of $.

Another idea a friend and I have is to set up a waldorf/enki charter school or co-op, so I'd love to hear if anyone has tried incorporporating the materials in something similar.
#2 of 133 Old 05-06-2006, 09:42 AM

I'd be interested in hearing about this, too! (Sorry I couldn't offer any info., though, Muse. : )
#3 of 133 Old 05-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Hi. I am looking into using Enki as well. We will start homeschooling my oldest (5 1/2) this fall for Kindergarten. I was originally looking at more purely Waldorf stuff, but it didn't seem to be a total fit for me. Enki seems more balanced and up to date, so to speak. I love how it seems to blend so many educational concepts (waldorf, montessori, and others) and doesn't hang onto stagnant dogma (which doesn't allow for growth and evolution of ideas) like some waldorf curriculums seem to. I also am attracted to its more multi-cultural approach instead of relaying solely on Christian Saints and Grimm's fairy tales.

One thing I've heard about the cost is that it is actually a bargain for the amount of material you get and the time it saves you. You don't have to spend hours looking up folk tales from the library, buying other books, or finding craft activities, it is all included in the package. There is actually more content than you could ever use in their resource libraries because they want you to be able to pick the stories/songs/activities that speak to you and your child.

I don't have a lot of money to spend either. I've already spent so much on waldorf stuff. I think I'm going to purchase the teaching guides and then go from there. I've emailed with the owners and they told me that the first grade package should be done soon and second grade not too long after that (for anyone wondering about when the grade packages will be completed).

I'd love to hear experience from those that have actually worked/are working with the enki materials!
#4 of 133 Old 05-16-2006, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there wisdomkeeper, yes I like a lot of the same stuff about enki as you.

I'm trying to find my way in this homeschooling thing right now and at this point am wanting something that can incorporate basic buddhist principles/practices (yoga, mindfulness, compassion, etc), and enki seems to have the space for that. And yes yes on the multiculturalism. Well, I'll wait till closer to sept but may end up splashing on the teaching guides, but I'd really like to hear more firsthand experience...

What did you end up buying in terms of waldorf stuff?
#5 of 133 Old 05-16-2006, 01:36 PM

What I've bought so far:

Golden Beetle Books/Spiritual Syllabus by Alan Whitehead: "Touch the Earth Gently" and "A Steiner Homeschool?" I really like these, although they are more inspirational than here's exactly what to do type books. They are kind of ecclectic and cosmic, but I do really like them. He believes (as I do) that Steiner's ideals should be alive and creatively growing/evolving rather than just copying the original curriculum used in that first school in Germany (like so many Waldorf schools and curriculums do). Alan is Christian, I believe, but his writing comes across just very spiritual and esoteric.

Golden Beetle Books for under-7s: There are 4 of these, one for each season. Each contains a simple story and suggestions for activities along with a few songs. These were written by Alan's wife, Susan. I haven't worked much with these yet, but they look very good.

Christopherus Homeschool Resources: "Kindergarten with Your 3-6 Year Old", "Waldorf Curriculum Overview", and "Drawing with your 4-11 year old". These are very practical and insightful guides that tell you exactly how to go about doing Waldorf in the home. The K guide and the curriculum overview are overflowing with lists of books and other resources to use. There is an ever so slight current of Christianity through it though. I also found that the traditional waldorf curriculum which uses the Christian saints, stories from the Old Testament, and Grimm's fairy tales not exactly what I was wanting to focus on. I was a little disappointed with the drawing guide as most of it seemed to focus on first graders and on up, and most of what was said about 4-6 year olds was already covered in the Kindergarten guide. But I'm sure I'll get more use out of that guide as my kids get older.

EDIT: Update on Christopherus stuff. I've been working with the Kindergarten guide more and while it does have a slightly Christian tone throughout it, I've been able to adapt *most* of the content for useage by our pagan family. Just wanted to add that for any non-Christians considering using Christopherus. Even though it isn't a perfect fit for my family, her stuff is so full of ways to make it your own and so full of wisdom and practicality, that I would recommend Christopherus to non-Christians.

I've also purchased lots of supplementary books like Circle Round (a seasonal activity book with songs which I HIGHLY recommend), Toymaking with Children (also highly recommend), Storytelling with Children (haven't read this one yet), and many used fairy tale, folk story, and fingerplay books.

So at this point I'm not sure I NEED the enki resources, but most of the stories that I've purchased were from the Christopherus recommendations, and I'm wondering what other wonderful stories might be found in the Enki stuff that I'd be missing out on. (For example more Native American stuff which my children really seem to show an interest in). I know that I want to do Enki come first grade, just not sure how much I want to spend on Enki stuff for this year. Of course knowing that I want to do Enki for first makes me think, I should just start with it from the beginning now that I know it is what I want. LOL Just thinking out loud here. :-)
#6 of 133 Old 05-16-2006, 01:42 PM

Should we move this thread to the "learning at home" section?
#7 of 133 Old 05-16-2006, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Rather than spend more money on curriculum when you already have so much great stuff, why not make a list of the additional cultures/streams you'd like to add to your "program." Then head for your local library. Most of the folktales are in one section, so they are easy to browse, plus you can use the catalog to search under the country or culture. If the library resources fall short, talk to the librarian. Usually, if a library doesn't have what you want, they'll do inter-library loan. I do a lot of inter-library loans, many for home-schooling families. Librarians are also knowledgeable, to some extent, about the age-appropriateness of certain stories.

You could order the Enki next year

Deborah
#8 of 133 Old 05-16-2006, 09:26 PM

Deborah, hi. Yes that is the way I'm leaning, but the Enki packages are kind of complicated and if you don't start with Kindergarten, you still need to buy some of it for use with first, so I kind of go back and forth between splurging for it all now. But I think I will probably just get the Enki teaching guides, and leave it at that until first grade.
#9 of 133 Old 05-16-2006, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomkeeper
Should we move this thread to the "learning at home" section?
oh yeah, that makes sense..how do we do that, mods?
#10 of 133 Old 05-16-2006, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Chris, too bad you're not in northern CA and we could trade resources! Sounds like we are heading in similar directions
#11 of 133 Old 05-16-2006, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Is Enki only done at home? I think I have heard of some center based Enki. Is it connected in some way to Waldorf, or is it "it's own thing"? I'm happy to move this thread out of Waldorf and into either our "Other" category (Sudbury, REggio Emilio, etc.) or Learning at Home, if someone can clarify where it should best land!

#12 of 133 Old 05-17-2006, 12:02 AM

Lauren,
I think they tried to start a few Enki schools, but I'm not sure any of them are still running due to funding? Not sure about that. I think they are planning on (or already do) providing teaching training/education as well.

From my understanding, Enki is different from Waldorf, but similar. Enki contains "the multicultural focus of the United Nations International School, the integrated arts approach of Waldorf Inspired Programs, the skill building techniques of traditional Western education, and the independent project learning of theme studies programs".(quoted from their website)

Here is a link that describes Enki's relationship to Waldorf and to Montessori:

http://www.enkieducation.org/html/waldorf-education.htm

I think this particular thread would be more appropriate under the Learning at Home category since most of the conversation has been about the homeschooling curriculum.
#13 of 133 Old 05-17-2006, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Moving to Learning at Home....

#14 of 133 Old 05-18-2006, 12:37 AM

:
#15 of 133 Old 05-18-2006, 01:01 AM

:
#16 of 133 Old 05-18-2006, 11:38 AM

Ooooooh, looks interesting . . . more thoughts from those who've tried it?
#17 of 133 Old 05-19-2006, 05:03 PM

I have some Enki materials. -The Teaching Guides, Folk & Fairytales, Nature Stories, and I think that's it.

I was planning to use it beginning in kindy-this past year-but they had some internal as well as personal issues with getting all the curriculum out on time, so September came and I had nothing from them (and was a bit freaked out). Now I have most of the kindy materials, but I'm sort of into my backup plan (Waldorf inspired). I used Christopherus' Kindergarten with your 3-6 year old, and various other Waldorf type resources (Earthways, All Year Round, The Children's Year, 7 Times the Sun, many as others) as well as Circle Round.

That said, I love everything about Enki. I love the multicultural aspects, I love the mindfulness/meditation aspects--(as a Buddhist who wants to raise my kids with that spiritual grounding). I love how Beth addresses teacher-- prep-burnout-and sustaining yourself. There are many more things that are great about it.

It is very pricy, but I think you do use the same materials again and again--so if you stay with Enki I think it's not so expensive in the long run. Also she has organized all the materials and stories--there are more than enough resources (stories/crafts) for each year so you don't have to spend that time going to the library or looking things up. And everything that is included is "just right" if you know what I mean--it's coming from the right place (holistic and head-heart-hands).

Currently I use my materials as a reference for me (Teaching Guides), and as a place to find supplemental material (stories/crafts that are not specifically Saint/Christian related <<like we don't do Michalmas or Advent or so many other Christian holidays celebrated within a W.curriculum>>)

Since I was unable to receive the entire K.package when I planned to I'm not exactly sure how much concrete direction is provided. The Teaching guides delve deeply into rhythm--and it is so wonderful, but I think one really is encouraged to tailor the curriculum to one's specific familial rhythm. So I think you do need to do a bit of work/preparation in planning out your day/week/month/year.

I'm honestly not sure what I'll do in the coming year. I don't know anyone irl who uses it. My experience that it's odd enough being a homeschooler. Let alone someone who believes much of the developmental structure of Waldorf and the other crunchy things generally associated with Waldorf (no tv, natural materials, etc). I may end up being more Waldorfy just because then my kids have (a few) peers doing similar stuff, and because I would know a few moms irl also using Waldorf inspired curriculums.
Enki does do a monthly conference call, but for me (and my young ones) that just doesn't work. I get so much from the several Waldorf homeschooling lists that I'm on, that I'm feeling pulled toward the Christopherus First Grade curriculum because of the structure and the support.
I wish that Enki had some sort of online presence--like a lovely vBulletin message board or even a yahoo group--I would feel more confident taking the plunge and switching totally over. But it's not in the cards in the near future.
#18 of 133 Old 05-20-2006, 10:03 AM

Hi Melamama, thanks for sharing all that! I'm seriously looking into using Enki; will probably order the teaching guides this week and then go for the rest of the K stuff in the following months if the guides speak to me.

It will be nice to have the resources all put together in one place and to know that what ever I choose to use, it isn't going to have an inappropriate reference to "the Lord God" or "Christmas" or something like that. (I mean inappropriate only in terms of my family, btw).

Why isn't there a yahoo group or something for people using it? Is it just too new, because of all the material printing issues, and no one has been working with complete packages yet for a school year?

Enki just seems to be the best fit for us, and I really want to find more people that use or plan to start using it to begin an online support group with.
#19 of 133 Old 05-27-2006, 12:17 AM

I am currently researching Enki, and I just love it. It seems like a perfect match for me and my family. I don't have anything to add, other than that I wanted to be in on this discussion.
#20 of 133 Old 05-27-2006, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomkeeper
Why isn't there a yahoo group or something for people using it? Is it just too new, because of all the material printing issues, and no one has been working with complete packages yet for a school year?
There was an Enki yahoo group, but from what I understand it became too difficult for them to moderate. I suspect because they are careful of how things within Enki are interpreted--and there were misunderstandings.

It's difficult for me to grasp how many people are using/have used Enki for homeschooling. They did exist before these recent printing issues---the materials were in ginormous binders. Like I wonder, are there a hundred people using it? Hundreds?

I wanted to add that in the last few days I'm feeling "won over" by Enki. I've been looking at the table(s) of contents for the materials, and I think that there is the concrete structure that I'm looking for, and that all the books will be available.
#21 of 133 Old 05-27-2006, 10:58 AM

Hey Molly! I'm looking into Enki too and we have our home towns in common. This could be great.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#22 of 133 Old 05-27-2006, 10:22 PM

I'm a Waldorf educator who loves Enki!

There is one charter school presently. Mountain Mahogany in Albq. NM.
They are striving to be an Enki school, and advertise as a Waldorf inspired school. I'm not entirely sure how it is going now, but I was involved online when planning was happening. There were other schools, but they closed due to funding.

We used the Enki grade one curriculum for a time. I have a younger spirited child who I had to edit a lot of the stories for. He loved the tale of Stalking Wolf, but it needed to be kept much more simple.

The nature stories in the kindergarten curriculum are wonderful. There is a lovely dandelion story that stays with my family three years past. We refer to it as we blow our dandelion riders across the grass.

I think the curriculum is worth it if you can afford it. I borrowed curriculum to try it. I don't find I need packaged curriculum resources, but if I were to invest in one, it would be Enki. I have Live-Education, and it is wonderful, too. I really believe in the Enki curriculum. I tried to make training work with Beth Sutton a few years ago, but I couldn't afford it at the time. I really want to do the training at some point.

#23 of 133 Old 05-28-2006, 02:44 PM

Just noting a good resource I found at the library. The Kingfisher Treasury of Myths and Legends by Ann Pilling, and illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton. Oftentimes, I find illlustrations in the myths far more gruesome than is helpful for the children. This one is the most appropriate I've found.
#24 of 133 Old 05-30-2006, 04:31 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
:

I think DH and I are unschoolers at heart, but I work full time, while DH does the SAHD thing. That said, it may help DH to have a curriculum to work from, and it looks like Enki would be a good fit with our family/beliefs.
#25 of 133 Old 05-31-2006, 12:46 AM

I use Enki with my three kids. I absolutely love it. Beth has put together a great program which really works for my family. In the next week or so the full first grade curriculum will be available (most of it already is) and all of K is ready. I use the foundations teaching guides even with my nine year old. Once you read the guides and get a feel for it you can branch from there. It is well worth the $$. I have done both, because I thought I could put something together cheaper, but in the end it was about the same but I had to do all the research and I had to spend a lot of time locating things even within my own home.

I highly recommend it. I keep a blog about our days using Enki if your interested. www.blissfulbee.blogspot.com It may give you a feel for a day in the life of using it.
#26 of 133 Old 05-31-2006, 01:21 AM

Blissfulbee, where'd you get that coffee table (from the yoga pic in "Tuesday Update")?
#27 of 133 Old 05-31-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
Blissfulbee, where'd you get that coffee table (from the yoga pic in "Tuesday Update")?
LOL, from a terrible furniture in VA called Marlo. Really bad store, but I love the coffee table.
#28 of 133 Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 AM

Beautiful Pics Blissful Bee! Thanks for sharing.

My dream is to be a SAHM and work with Enki/Waldorf, but I'm single and must earn the bread. Just wanted to share that your pics made me all :

Now I'm going to have to go back and look at the coffee table.
#29 of 133 Old 06-01-2006, 08:53 AM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Enki, Blissful Bee! I will be ordering the complete K package this week! I'm so excited. I was going to wait and try and purchase K and first together (to save money in the long run), but just don't have the funds for that anytime in the future, so I decided to just start with K and go from there. I'm anxious to start reading through the guides now so that I'll be ready come fall.

I've spent much time reading on the enki site and searching for opinions from those that have used it. I'm convinced!

And just for a cost comparison for anyone interested, here is what I spent on K level stuff before deciding to switch to Enki:
Christopherus K guide, $27.50
Christopherus Science guide, $38
Christopherus Joyful Movement, $22
Christopherus Drawing w/ 4-11, $22
Christopherus Curriculum Overview, $50
You are Your Child's First Teacher, $10 (used)
Folk and Fairy Tale books, $15 (used)
Fingerplay books, $5 (used)
Seasonal and craft books, $30
Storytelling book, $8 (used)
Golden beetle books K stories, homeschool guide, movement guide (for more stories and to gain a richer understanding of Waldorf concepts and curriculum), $84

Total: $311.50 plus all the numerous shipping charges because all of this was obtained from many different sources. Also, I still don't feel like I have everything I need. If not switching to enki, I would probably need to buy some more songbooks and/or CDs and some more books on pedagogy and such.

So while I can't say it definitively, because I don't own enki yet, but it seems to me like it is fairly priced and worth the money. Also it took me a long time to put together all the resources that I did after reading the Christopherus guides, plus time hunting for books at the library. So it appears that enki would save time as well, because everything is right there.

That said, I do appreciate my Christopherus stuff, and will likely hang on to it for future reference (and am even considering attending one of Donna's conferences just because there is one in August that isn't too far from home), but knowing what I know now, I wish I had just started with Enki. It would have saved me time, I think, and cost about the same.

And of course there is also the fact that I'm just drawn to enki. It speaks very deeply to me and feels like a good match for my family.

Okay, wow, when did this post get so long and windy? Whew, time for some green tea....
#30 of 133 Old 06-01-2006, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissful Bee
I highly recommend it. I keep a blog about our days using Enki if your interested. www.blissfulbee.blogspot.com It may give you a feel for a day in the life of using it.
Perfect! Thanks so much for sharing this, blissful bee..(great username too )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page