Connections Academy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2006, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just sent away for a brochure about this hs'ing curriculum because I am still researching my options. Does anyone know of them or have used them? Any pros or cons to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2006, 10:16 AM

Is this one in Ohio? I know a lot of the same eschools have schools in other states.

Anyway,I got the info from Connections and every other eschool I could think of contacting. CA is a public online charter.Essentially your child will be in PUBLIC school at HOME.You will get a curriculum,assigned a teacher,hand in required work to be graded,log hours(920 total per year av. 5 a day),and take any school or state mandated tests. There are a few parents on a yahoo elist(Ohio viturtual families) that is with the school.Some like it,and some don't. You just have to try it to see. The curriuculum looks like a mix of material from various publishers.I thought it looked decent.

BTW we are with Ohdela which is another ohio eschool. We get the calvert curriculum.I use that as a base curriculum,and then add my own stuff daily once required material is done.I think calvert is OK.I may try OHVA AND K12 with my other child. I prefer homeschool over all this silly hoop jumping,but it is not to bad at this point.It is what my dh wants for now,and the kids are learning(thanks to themselves and a bit of mommy input).The school only supplies the curriculum imo,but I do hear people in the upper grades rely much more on teacher input.

Some curriculums are more online,and some like our calvert are mostly off line.

So remember this is public school at home via a charter school.You will be schooling at home,but you will not be under the traditional homeschool laws.All the state public school mandates on attendance(logging hours) and tests will be required if youi sign up with a charter school. If you don't mind those things,and having a *master teacher* as they call them determine grades then you should do fine.

I have read with most eschool curriculums that there is a ton of busy work,and sometimes if it is to be handed in there is no way to avoid it.And some teachers are real slackers when it comes to grading your kids stuff.

If you are in Ohio there is also BOSS,OHVA,ECOT,and VCS.

Also,many homeschooling groups with not allow eschoolers to become members of their group.And even though you are public schoolers(at home) you will not be part of the local district,so they won't allow you to participate either.Some eschools parents have set up their own local groups.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:15 AM

Hi SugarMama. We looked into using Connections Academy here in Ohio. It looked like a nice program but once I looked into it more, there seemed to be too many hoops for us to jump through. It is considered a public school (in Ohio anyways) and registering would have required all sorts of immunization records or waivers, medical forms, birth certificates, etc etc. The program also seemed very structured in terms of what you need to complete weekly and the parent didn't seem to be totally in charge, but rather the online teacher.

That said, my husband has had Connections Academy groups come through on field trips (he is a firefighter) and those that he talked to were really happy with the program. They related that most people in Connections Academy were either first time homeschoolers looking for guidance, some who eventually go out on their own; or those that have gone out on their own, but found their family needed more structure and joined CA.

In the end I decided to just go the traditional homeschooling route, but we haven't started yet (will begin officially this fall), so only time will tell on that decision. :-)

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 05-20-2006, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! From reading online, it sounded great in theory but reading what everyone has to say here, that is not what I want for my children. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-20-2006, 10:02 PM

My friend used CA and did not have a good experience with it. She grew tired of all the hoops and they did not help her daughter with an IEP at all.

We use OHVA and love it. I am homeschooling for the first time this year and wanted a curriculum that had someone holding me accountable. Our teacher was very laid back. She called once a month to talk with each of the kids, but other than that we were on our own unless we called her. I wasn't too fond of the Music program, so we just went over the basics they gave us and did our own thing. They are very flexible about when you do your schoolwork. We actually take Fridays off b/c I am in school all day. We get our stuff done M-Th. If they have other stuff to do either my mom works with them while they are with her on Friday or they work on Saturday for a brief time. If you want to talk with me further feel free to PM me. I have talked with a couple of other people who had questions about the program (one was from MDC). I can give you my phone number if that makes it easier to talk. I know sometimes it is hard to talk through the internet.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
Old 05-20-2006, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04

Some curriculums are more online,and some like our calvert are mostly off line.

OHVA does their History and Science mainly online. You do have books for some of the lessons, but the bulk of the reading is online. I wasn't too keen on that at first, but my kids seem to enjoy it.

So remember this is public school at home via a charter school.You will be schooling at home,but you will not be under the traditional homeschool laws.All the state public school mandates on attendance(logging hours) and tests will be required if youi sign up with a charter school. If you don't mind those things,and having a *master teacher* as they call them determine grades then you should do fine.

I have read with most eschool curriculums that there is a ton of busy work,and sometimes if it is to be handed in there is no way to avoid it.And some teachers are real slackers when it comes to grading your kids stuff.

OHVA does require state testing the same as public schools as well as logging 920 hours which really isn't hard b/c you can log any educational things from computer games to educational tv (History channel, Animal Planet, Discovery, etc..) We have a teacher over us, but we grade all the kids assignments (for the elementary level--I am not sure about 7th grade and up). We have to send in portfolios four times a year and they let you know what you need to hand in. There are usually a few worksheets to hand in, but not too many. A few of the times I just looked to see what they needed for the portfolio and had them complete those instead of others. They do have workbook pages to go with most of the assignments, but it is up to you how much you do with the workbooks. They have a huge amount of extra stuff you can do with your kids, but it is entirely up to you. Each lesson ends with an assessment that you give your child and again you can adjust it to fit your child. My second grader does better with multiple choice questions, so we adjust to accomodate that to help him along.

If you are in Ohio there is also BOSS,OHVA,ECOT,and VCS.

Also,many homeschooling groups with not allow eschoolers to become members of their group.And even though you are public schoolers(at home) you will not be part of the local district,so they won't allow you to participate either.Some eschools parents have set up their own local groups.

We are in Lancaster and the groups here are very accomodating to eschoolers. We don't do much with them b/c OHVA offers a huge number of outings to attend with the kids. We found it too overwhelming to be involved with a lot of extra activities, so we would pick and choose what we liked. OHVA does require four face-to-face meetings with a teacher or staff member, but those are very easy to obtain. We had our meetings done before Christmas.

Good Luck with your decision.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
Old 05-21-2006, 02:30 PM

<< We don't do much with them b/c OHVA offers a huge number of outings to attend with the kids.>>>

I went on an outing with an OHVA group(to a chocolate factory) even though I am not with their school. Ohdela has to many age restrictions(siblings),and usually the outings would fill up to fast to even get signed on. If we are still using eschools when ds is 6 we might try OHVA.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:31 PM

OHVA has never said anything about my younger one participating in field trips and I know I see lots of other young ones at the field trips. This is really helpful to us b/c we don't have a sitter.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:03 PM

I started t sign my boys up for it but it was WAY too much work. Especially when we weren't even guaranteed a space.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:05 AM

I just enrolled my ds into OHVA. (I spoke to Houdini on the phone, and I really liked what she had to say...so that clinched it for us) The enrollment wasnt bad at all..I just got some forms, his birth cert...signed some things, faxed them over. Then ds took the assessment exams...I entered the info online...got a call back about placement...did that...and we are done. Now we are just waiting for our letter, and curriculum, and computer.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:53 AM

Best wishes Alana! There are 2 OHVA groups at yahoogroups.com.

BTW, what was there immunization/exemption form like? Ohdela had their own seperate exemption form.And instead of giving out the SS number I told them to create a school ID number.

Houdini-that is my kind of outing.I am with my kids 24/7,and many times we can not attend outings/classes if they are very strict about age segregation.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:08 AM

Best wishes Alana! There are 2 OHVA groups at yahoogroups.com.

BTW, what was there immunization/exemption form like? Ohdela had their own seperate exemption form.And instead of giving out the SS number I told them to create a school ID number.

Houdini-that is my kind of outing.I am with my kids 24/7,and many times we can not attend outings/classes if they are very strict about age segregation.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:13 PM

You could probably just fill out and sign an exemption form like you would for a traditional school. We did vax for my son when he was younger...and I faxed that over....and they said that was fine.

User Tag List