Mothering Forum banner

Does this exist? Literature-based curriculum for history (K level)?

667 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Brisen 
#1 ·
Does this exist? Literature-based curriculum for history (K level)? Kind of like FIAR but more focused on just history/social studies. I want great literature w/ ideas to discuss after reading. and secular. thanks!

#2 ·
The Well Trained Mind has a chapter on history. It talks about their book The Story of the World, but along with that main book they have recommendations of books you can find at the library that go along with each chapter. I am not personally familar with FIAR to know if it's similar or not.

#4 ·
They start whenever you want them to.
My dd is not due to start K until the fall technically, but she's doing 1st grade work. So if you think your child is ready, why not?

#7 ·
We're doing Sonlight K and the theme is Intro to the World: Cultures. If you don't buy the bible portion it's pretty easy to make it secular (although we are only in week 11 so it's possible that could change but I don't think so). You could always request a free catalog and see if it might work.

#9 ·
I would definitely consider SOTW and the accompanying activity book. The Activity books have coloring pages, reading suggestions (lots are picture books) and some cool hands on activities. They also have map work, but I'd skip that with a 4yo.

Sonlight is good too, but I think they don't tie in the read alouds to the history until core 3? I could be wrong though.

#10 ·
I really enjoy the Journey through History series of books published by Barron's. (I think they were originally published in French). They are meant for young children and are wonderful. Check out these titles:

Journey Through History: Prehistory to Egypt by Maria Rius, Oiol Vergés
Journey Through History: the Greek and Roman Eras by Gloria Verges, Oiol Vergés
The Journey Through History: The Middle Ages by Maria Rius, Gloria Verges, Oriol Verges
Journey Through History: The Renaissance by Carme Peris, Oiol Vergés
Journey Through History: The Contemporary Age by Gloria Verges, Oriol Verges

#11 ·
Did you look at the books Sonlight uses? I think you could find them at your local library and look thru them to see if it's what you are looking for. You can find the book list on their site. I printed out the book list, and while I don't plan to use them (we are secular, they are Christain) I think they have a great book list! Usborne has several books on history you can get, and also ones on cultures.

#12 ·
Here is a link to a page which lists the Sonlight history books in a 4-year rotation, if that's something you're interested in.

Ambleside Online is literature-based and free (the schedule and such, I mean); most of their books are available free to print online. Some books it uses are Our Island Story, "A child's history of England from earliest legendary times delightfully retold"; The Story of Mankind, and This Country of Ours. As for being secular, I think most of these aren't exactly secular, but not as religiously-based as some of the religious curricula out there today. If you are reading aloud you can edit out what you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.