Mothering Forum banner

How long does one home school?

551 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AuntLavender 
#1 ·
hi, i wanted to know how long does a child go through home schooling?

#2 ·
That totally depends on the child. I'm assuming you mean from start to finish w/finish being high school graduation? Some kids get their GED when they are a teen and then start taking college courses. Also depends on what kind of homeschooling is being done. If a very structured curriculum is being followed, then some kids will go thru it faster. Some parents follow the public school year w/their homeschooled kids and only do lessons for that particular day, and don't go forward. Some fly thru the lessons and go onto others.

We mostly unschool and plan to just see what happens. I have a feeling my kids will be among those who get their GED and then go onto some other type of schooling, whether that be community college, a major university, or a trade school.

#4 ·
Hi,
My son just graduated at the age of 16, we started with kindergarten. I've kept track of all that he did when he started high school. He ended up skipping a grade(according to the school district) because he completed all of the requirements for the 10th grade in the 9th.
We also have friends that went with a traditional purchased curriculum and they finished when they were 17 since they weren't allowed to move ahead.

#7 ·
because compulsory education is from 6-16 in my state (when I have to send in annual evals) but I imagine my child will do as he feels he wants to take his education route. Dual enrollment can only occur as long as my child is being homeschooled (that is sending in an annual eval and staying registered with my county as a homeschooler). This is taking college classes for free while *enrolled* in a Home Education Program according to my state (FL).

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 3, 6 1/2, 8 1/2, and 9 1/2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.