Reason #1001 to homeschool - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 47 Old 06-13-2006, 11:52 PM
 
Lillian J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckyTate
Unfair to judge that book just plain sucks!:
I'll bet she enjoys reading other books.
True. It's written poorly enough that it's noticeable as you're reading. My son and husband both gave up on it early on because they can't abide poor writing. I, on the other hand, was able to ignore that in order to pursue the story, because the intrigue captured my interest. Lillian
Lillian J is offline  
#32 of 47 Old 06-25-2006, 05:05 PM
 
mahogny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: south of the rainbow
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero
Anyway, my mom loaned her the book The DaVinci code. She said she couldn't get into it, that it was dull.
Suzy
Well, to tell you the truth, I thought The DaVinci Code was bad, too! (I'm not talking about the controversial subject matter making the book bad, but just the general writing style of the author being that of a 3rd grader made the book awful to read.)

Maybe she meant reading THAT BOOK was boring.
mahogny is offline  
#33 of 47 Old 06-25-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
Pinky Tuscadero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahogny
Well, to tell you the truth, I thought The DaVinci Code was bad, too! (I'm not talking about the controversial subject matter making the book bad, but just the general writing style of the author being that of a 3rd grader made the book awful to read.)

Maybe she meant reading THAT BOOK was boring.
No, she clearly said reading in general. It was not a casual comment. It was several conversations.

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
Pinky Tuscadero is offline  
#34 of 47 Old 06-25-2006, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
 
Pinky Tuscadero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
I was a cocktail waitress. I can do fifteen percent of anything. It's really easy.

All you have to remember is that all numbers can be broken down into chunks of 10%, 5%, and 1%.
ITA! I used to wait tables. At one restaurant I worked at you had to add up your own tickets and figure the tax and total before you gave it to each table. We only had one calculator. I quickly learned how to do it in my head so that I didn't have to wait in line for the calculator. Our state sales tax is 5%-it's easy!! No one else could do it in their heads. :
I think everyone should spend at least a summer waiting tables. You learn so many great skills!

Suzy

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
Pinky Tuscadero is offline  
#35 of 47 Old 06-25-2006, 08:39 PM
 
lisac77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Regarding the fact that most education majors are a little lacking in the smarts department -

I was an Earth Science major in college. It was a difficult and rigorous program steeped in research and technology studies. People that majored in the program had to take classes in things like Fluvial Geomorphology (the study of rivers and their physical functions - so freaking hard), Applied Geography (deep research class with five major papers), Geographic Information Systems (required knowledge of the UNIX operating system). We also had to take interdisciplinary courses in computer science, physics, and statistics.

Secondary education majors (middle school through high school) who wanted to do a concentration in Earth Science had to take 4 upper level classes. The classes in meteorology, cultural studies, classes like "The Geography of US and Canada" were absolutely glutted with education majors. And they were oh, so stupid. They asked dumb questions. They couldn't keep up with the material. They did piss poor research. Dumb. Really dumb.

I wept for the future students of America, I tell you.
lisac77 is offline  
#36 of 47 Old 06-25-2006, 08:41 PM
 
Lillian J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero
No, she clearly said reading in general. It was not a casual comment. It was several conversations.
Well, I just have to wonder if maybe she has undiagnosed reading skill deficiencies. Article: Taking a Look at Vision Skills. - Lillian
Lillian J is offline  
#37 of 47 Old 06-25-2006, 08:49 PM
 
trini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: mommy heaven
Posts: 2,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77

And they were oh, so stupid. They asked dumb questions. They couldn't keep up with the material. They did piss poor research. Dumb. Really dumb.

I wept for the future students of America, I tell you.
I was an education major with a 4.0 average. I was 5th in my class in high school. Yes, I've been in classes with the not-so-bright. I know the ones you are talking about. I could have gone into any profession I wanted. I chose to teach. We get so little respect. Even my own father asked, "Why do you have to go to college to teach kindergarten? You've already been to kindergarten. Don't you already know that stuff?" Obviously the man has never heard the word "pedagogy."

Keep in mind that teaching has a very high attrition rate within the first few years. The ones who went into it just "to get the summers off" are many of the ones who are leaving.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

trini is offline  
#38 of 47 Old 06-25-2006, 09:07 PM
 
lisac77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trini
I was an education major with a 4.0 average. I was 5th in my class in high school. Yes, I've been in classes with the not-so-bright. I know the ones you are talking about. I could have gone into any profession I wanted. I chose to teach. We get so little respect. Even my own father asked, "Why do you have to go to college to teach kindergarten? You've already been to kindergarten. Don't you already know that stuff?" Obviously the man has never heard the word "pedagogy."

Keep in mind that teaching has a very high attrition rate within the first few years. The ones who went into it just "to get the summers off" are many of the ones who are leaving.
My mother is a teacher. She recently completed her master's in teaching. I wasn't casting aspersions on all teachers, I promise! I know that some teachers are well educated and in turn are great educators (within the limits of the school/curriculum). The people I'm referring to shouldn't have been allowed within 10 miles of a classroom. Teaching is a calling - it's not something you can just phone in.

My mom has been teaching in a private school for the last six years. This year she decided to make the switch to the public schools. Nobody will hire her (well, she hasn't been hired yet) because she "lacks public school experience." Meanwhile the newly graduated chippies to whom I was referring in other post are getting hired right and left because they are a) cheap and b) they student taught for two semesters, which counts as "public school experience." :
lisac77 is offline  
#39 of 47 Old 06-25-2006, 09:25 PM
 
joandsarah77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey thanks you guys for explaining percentages. Another percentage dummy here. My limp along system for figuring 20% was because I know 25% is 1/4 I would figure out the price to a quarter. So that $38 became 1/2 to $19 then half again to $9.50 so I knew $9.50 was 25% then I'de guess that 20% was a bit less maybe 8.90 or something as for 15% forget it! Figuring 10% then doubling is much easier!
joandsarah77 is offline  
#40 of 47 Old 06-25-2006, 11:22 PM
 
trini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: mommy heaven
Posts: 2,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77
My mother is a teacher. She recently completed her master's in teaching. I wasn't casting aspersions on all teachers, I promise! I know that some teachers are well educated and in turn are great educators (within the limits of the school/curriculum). The people I'm referring to shouldn't have been allowed within 10 miles of a classroom. Teaching is a calling - it's not something you can just phone in.

My mom has been teaching in a private school for the last six years. This year she decided to make the switch to the public schools. Nobody will hire her (well, she hasn't been hired yet) because she "lacks public school experience." Meanwhile the newly graduated chippies to whom I was referring in other post are getting hired right and left because they are a) cheap and b) they student taught for two semesters, which counts as "public school experience." :
I agree with you 100%! (Used percentage to stay on topic here.)

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

trini is offline  
#41 of 47 Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 AM
 
Charles Baudelaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77
My mother is a teacher. She recently completed her master's in teaching. I wasn't casting aspersions on all teachers, I promise! I know that some teachers are well educated and in turn are great educators (within the limits of the school/curriculum). The people I'm referring to shouldn't have been allowed within 10 miles of a classroom. Teaching is a calling - it's not something you can just phone in.

My mom has been teaching in a private school for the last six years. This year she decided to make the switch to the public schools. Nobody will hire her (well, she hasn't been hired yet) because she "lacks public school experience." Meanwhile the newly graduated chippies to whom I was referring in other post are getting hired right and left because they are a) cheap and b) they student taught for two semesters, which counts as "public school experience." :
I also believe it's her M.A. that's pricing her out of the market. Once you have one of those, you're practically unhireable as a teacher unless the market is desperate for warm bodies.
Charles Baudelaire is offline  
#42 of 47 Old 06-26-2006, 12:51 PM
 
trini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: mommy heaven
Posts: 2,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
I also believe it's her M.A. that's pricing her out of the market. Once you have one of those, you're practically unhireable as a teacher unless the market is desperate for warm bodies.
Yep, with a Master's and 7 years of experience, I'm pretty much unmarketable. Especially with the layoffs that are happening in many districts around here. Guess I'm staying put.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

trini is offline  
#43 of 47 Old 06-26-2006, 02:05 PM
 
~*SugarMama*~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Comments like that really scare me. More people should look into what kind of people are educating their children.
~*SugarMama*~ is offline  
#44 of 47 Old 06-26-2006, 10:33 PM
 
Charles Baudelaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.
Charles Baudelaire is offline  
#45 of 47 Old 06-26-2006, 10:35 PM
 
Charles Baudelaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*SugarMama*~
Comments like that really scare me. More people should look into what kind of people are educating their children.
Would you mind clarifying???? :
Charles Baudelaire is offline  
#46 of 47 Old 06-26-2006, 10:49 PM
 
trini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: mommy heaven
Posts: 2,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Or you could move to Las Vegas. They're dying for teachers, and with an M.A. and 7 years' experience, you might actually get a decent living wage. Just a thought. Just Google "Clark County School District."
Thanks. Actually, I'm employed. I teach in the city schools here. I have been in the same classroom for all 7 years. It's a love/hate relationship. Had a rare possible chance to move to the suburbs just last week but decided not to pursue it. I really do make a decent wage. I honestly can't complain.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

trini is offline  
#47 of 47 Old 06-26-2006, 10:52 PM
 
beansavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Listening to Widespread!
Posts: 8,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trini

I have no problem telling my students that there are some things I don't know how to do. While I have a certain curriculum I have to teach them, I think that my main job is to keep them interested in questioning and learning.
Another teacher here...I agree. I think it's actually better for kids to see their teacher is not perfect, but is a striving, curious person who loves learning whole-heartedly: something Homeschooling definitely does a good job doing, from what I've observed in my friends' kids.
beansavi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off