Anyone else sick of the read read read to your child campaigns? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 184 Old 06-19-2006, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the "Rainbow Fairy Book" by Lang, and really like it. It is a fairly concise "greatest hits" collection from all the color fairy books.

I am so glad storytelling was mentioned. I appreciate it so much, and do hope to get into it more myself. I tend to have a poor memory for stories, songs, etc. though I know this can be overcome.

Sometimes I do improvise while reading change the way a story is told. The book then can be more of a source for memory cues, while I can be more directly responsive to the listeners and engage them more directly. It is kind of nice to tell a story in what feels like your own personal style and using a word choice that feels totally natural to yourself. Book addict that I am, I actually just bought a "storyteller's start-up book" that has some great ideas I want to play with.

I know that Waldorf educators often favor storytelling over book-reading because it is a more direct connection between teller and audience. This idea seems to have some merit.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#182 of 184 Old 06-20-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftField
I agree with your first sentence, but disagree with the whining toddler = unmet needs theory. I think most toddlers whine at some point. And I know this is unusual, but my oldest didn't speak until he was 22 months old even though he was extensively read to and spoken to. He used to say, "dah" and point to things and also make grunting noises. OTOH, he could point out a wide variety of pictures and letters in books long before then, but his expressive speech had not developed yet. If you speak to your child and read extensively to him/her, it would not necessarily create early speech. Girls often have much earlier expressive speech than boys. So I don't agree with that part of what you're saying.
Yep, to both of your points. Some kids are sometimes going to whine. Ds1 is not a "whiner" but he has been known to whine on occasion, and it has nothing to do with not getting my attention. That statement really did make me giggle.

I am also on child number two that has no "words" at 2yo. Their expressive speech was/is exactly as you describe with your son. And not only do I read to them a lot (ds1 liked it more at this young age than ds2 currently does), but I am one of those crazy moms yapping to their baby as we wander through the grocery store. My dad used to make fun of me for talking to my babies as if they could understand me. (Of course, he also blamed me for them not talking, saying that it was because I gave them too much attention so they never had to ask for anything.: )
#183 of 184 Old 06-20-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Oh, I agree. I only commented because the original post that I quoted included babies as small people who needed to be spoken to as if they were adults. Babies are hard-wired to respond to high-pitched motherese.
I spoke to my babies like adults, but I also included some of that high-pitched cute talk that you reference. I used to sing a lot of silly songs to them in a high-pitched voice. I used to sing one called, "cupcake lips" to ds2 (don't ask, it just fell out of my brain) that went something like, "Mama has a funny boy, funny boy, funny boy. Mama has a funny boy, cupcake lips!" *giggles* His little eyes would light up and really focus on me when I sang that song to him. When I had them on my lap to nurse, I'd often talk in the high-pitched voice with extra-lovey or cutesy words. But in regular life, I'd speak to them like regular people. So, I think both are good. It just seems like many people only stick to the cutesy stuff and bypass the regular conversation.
#184 of 184 Old 06-20-2006, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141
That really is pretty terrible!!
Yeah, heaven forbid you have to keep stopping and explaining things to the child! Honestly, when dh read Winnie the Pooh to ds1 in utero, he had to stop and explain a few vocabularly words to me. He's British and has an instant visual on things like "gorse bush" and "spinney". Maybe he should have been annoyed and stopped reading the book!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page