Anyone else sick of the read read read to your child campaigns? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I know that reading is super important and obviously reading to your child is essential however, do you think they overdo the whole "read read read til your blue in the face?" The commercials, billboards, radio commercials, PSA's.....what about the kids that dont have a zest for reading? Are you supposed to push the issue? I just wonder because I didnt push reading with my kindergartener and he is reading better than my 1st grader (K is hs'd and 1st is in ps) What do you mamas think of the reading campaign??

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#2 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 01:05 AM

Sadly, I don't think it's overblown. I taught in public schools, and even in the "good" neighborhood, at the "good" school we had kids who just weren't read to. Not ever. It DOES make a big difference.

I had a prof. in college (elem. ed.) who used to say if you didn't read to your child every day you'd go to hell! Wise woman that one....

-Angela
#3 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna

I had a prof. in college (elem. ed.) who used to say if you didn't read to your child every day you'd go to hell! Wise woman that one....

-Angela
: that's hilarious.....and yes, it's sad that you had students whose parents never read to them

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#4 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy
: that's hilarious.....and yes, it's sad that you had students whose parents never read to them
I wish they could make it mandatory through age 12 to be read to every day -- and not from Junie B. Jones crapola either, but the good stuff.

I teach English. Sorry. I don't think it's overblown at all.
#5 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
I wish they could make it mandatory through age 12 to be read to every day -- and not from Junie B. Jones crapola either, but the good stuff.

I teach English. Sorry. I don't think it's overblown at all.
Totally,OT,but,CharlesBaudelaire,I have a Lou,too.
#6 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 01:37 AM

I am not sure I would say overblown exactly, and I do think many many children love being read to, but if a kid preferred that I did not then I would respect that.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#7 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 01:38 AM

The Reading Mother

I had a Mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,
"Prisoners" stowed in the hold beneath.

I had a Mother who read me plays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales--
True to his trust til his tragic death,
Faithfulness blent with his final breath.

I had a Mother who read me things
The wholesome life to the boy heart brings--
Stories that stir with an upward touch.
Oh, that each Mother of boys were such!

You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be--
I had a Mother who read to me.
~Gillian Strickland~

My grandmother recited this poem so often to us, and just reading it makes me miss her and remember that what she held dear is important. She was right.

While the PSA's are annoying, if they cause one parent to stop, turn off the TV and read to their child on a day they otherwise wouldn't, I'm happy to put up with them whenever and where ever they show up.

I don't think it is about pushing the child to read themselves, but about reading TO them and WITH them. My 9yo ds does not like to read at all, but he looooovvvvves to hear a story. I will read to him until he decides he wants to pick it up himself. Yes, he knows how to read, but that's not as important to me as a 'lesson' as the one that shows him what amazing adventures can be found in books.
#8 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwifetx
While the PSA's are annoying, if they cause one parent to stop, turn off the TV and read to their child on a day they otherwise wouldn't, I'm happy to put up with them whenever and where ever they show up.
ITA!
#9 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 02:29 AM

I think it's very overblown. I think it's kinda silly to read a book to an infant.

What's important about reading to your kids is the story telling part of it, and I think it can be much more effective to get a kid interested in stories if you TELL him a story. Then he can create his OWN images of the story, not having to just believe what someone else illustrated. Telling your child a story is so much more intimate than reading, too.

Reading books is important, don't get me wrong. But oral storytelling is so important! It can even help so much with gentle discipline or getting through hard times or in teaching children about life because you can on-the-spot create a custom story for your child. I think it's also great to draw your own pictures and make a book for your child, or help them make one once they are older.

I really think it's exposure to vocabulary and poetic imaginative language (think nursery rhymes for the little ones and fairy tales) that inspires a strong desire to read. A child can certainly be read a bunch of crappy commercialized books all the time and never have any interest in reading.
#10 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriewisp
I think it's very overblown. I think it's kinda silly to read a book to an infant.
I'm sorry, but I could not disagree with your opinion more. I strongly believe that it was the hours and hours of reading that we did with our dd as an infant that enabled her to teach herself to read at an unusually early age, and with very little effort on our parts. Moreover, she genuinely loved sitting and being read to -- and still does. Even if it was only "the lull I like / The hum of your valved voice," as Whitman says, she still liked and responded to it.

Quote:

What's important about reading to your kids is the story telling part of it, and I think it can be much more effective to get a kid interested in stories if you TELL him a story. Then he can create his OWN images of the story, not having to just believe what someone else illustrated. Telling your child a story is so much more intimate than reading, too.
The one does not preclude the other. It's not a one-scoop cone. There is so much value in getting children to "read" pictures as well as text because in both cases, you're getting them to be consciously aware of their thought and WHY they think so. For example, I taught First Day School today and we read a book called The Lord's Prayer, which (not surprisingly) was an illustration of the Lord's Prayer. It showed a man and a little girl painting and fixing up an old woman's yard. In the process, the little girl finds a gold pendant that has fallen from the old woman's necklace, is tempted to keep it, but returns it to the old woman, who gives it to her.

None of that is "spelled out" in the book's text, which (as I said) consists solely of the Lord's Prayer. It's in the illustrations. The questions I asked got the kids to "read" the pictures as well as the story: Who are these people? Why do you think so? What is their relationship like? What gave you that idea? What are they doing to the old woman's house? Why do you think they're fixing it up? What will the girl do with the pendant? and so on. It's not creative, imaginative thinking, but it's another -- and exceedingly valuable -- kind of thinking: critical thinking. I teach English, and I'll tell you, if I didn't have to teach this skill to my seniors from the ground up, my job would be so much easier and they could learn so much more.
#11 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 07:25 AM

No .the reading campaign is not over blown.When was the last time you read a really good book?I usually keep three going.Right now I'm reading Walden(for the 5th time)Guatemalan Backstrap Weaving,and The story of Seigfried,(because I never got to as a kid).
If you don't read widely you will end up with a limited vocabulary,and fairly stunted thinking.I'm convinced the brain is like any other muscle and will atrophy from lack of use .
If you want intelligent, articulate children Read to them ,with them.write your own stories and plays. Your children will thankyou for it one day.
#12 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 08:39 AM

I could not even IMAGINE a day without reading to my kids. Nope, I don't think the campaign is overblown unfortunately. I know of too many moms who live with a TV on and no books in the house.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#13 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 AM

Not overblown at all, how can anyone really think that with the plummeting literacy levels in this country?

TV rules in America, people are NOT reading to their kids. I was taking to my friend who is a kindergarden teacher and she said I would be shocked at how many kids come into her kindergarden classroom and no one has read a book to them *in their life*, some have never even colored with crayons or cut with scissors. I mean that is the reality of so many children in this country. Not everyone is like us here in this group, where we do read to our children.

My own neices each have 3 kids and they don't have a single book in their house! They simply do not read and it has effected their children greatly in school. I don't think they have ever even been to the library.

How can encouraging reading be overblown?

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#14 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Banned

I can't read to my DD : Not because I can't read, but she wont sit still, she wont pay attention, she'll keep turning and trying to rip the pages...even if I do a formal type story time like thing with her and keep her away from the book..she just gets up and goes...

No intrest....

: bad mommy here....
#15 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 09:31 AM

I don't like people telling me what to do, so those kinds of things annoy me. I live where their major PSA stuff consists of anti-Meth, so I guess we're missing out on the reading stuff.

That said, I read to my baby (I'm 6 months pg with our first) almost every night I think it's really important to read to children. I'm not doing it because I want them to read earlier, I just think it's a good thing. I don't care if they don't learn to read til they're 12 years old..

Waldorf is anti-reading but very into story telling. I totally understand that aspect also, but I'm not a story teller, so I read.

Cara
#16 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriewisp
How is it any more silly than talking to your infant? It's more exposure to language.

I read to my daughter every day starting from when she was two days old (I was a little too tired the first day ). She is 4 now and has a larger vocabulary than I do. My son came to us from another country when he was somewhere between 21 and 33 months old. He joined right in the reading and his language has developed superbly. I started reading to Desta, who joined us 16 days ago, the day after she arrived. She has already learned a lot of new words from reading.

I was lucky to be raised in a home that loved books. Many kids are not, and if they are not reminded to, their parents won't read to them. I don't think you could ever over-hype the importance of reading to your kids.

My dh likes to say, "You know how they say read to your kids 20 minutes a day? In our house it's more like 20 minutes an hour!"

Namaste!
#17 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114
I can't read to my DD : Not because I can't read, but she wont sit still, she wont pay attention, she'll keep turning and trying to rip the pages...even if I do a formal type story time like thing with her and keep her away from the book..she just gets up and goes...
Read to her while she's eating or taking a bath.

Namaste!
#18 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwifetx
The Reading Mother

I had a Mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,
"Prisoners" stowed in the hold beneath.

I had a Mother who read me plays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales--
True to his trust til his tragic death,
Faithfulness blent with his final breath.

I had a Mother who read me things
The wholesome life to the boy heart brings--
Stories that stir with an upward touch.
Oh, that each Mother of boys were such!

You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be--
I had a Mother who read to me.

~Gillian Strickland~
That made me cry! : I think I'll print it out so I can read it when I'm feeling like rushing through that bedtime reading because I'm tired and frustrated with DS 's bouncing all over :

I don't think it's overblown at all. Even within the homeschool community (locally) I find that I read to my kids much more then most, and I don't feel we read huge amounts. DD always laughs when we pass the school who has a big sign about reading 20minutes a day to your child. *ONLY 20 minutes mom! We read for hours!*

There are so many kids who don't get read to, DH was one of them. He is certainly not un-intelligent, but he does struggle with reading fluency and he hates to read This makes him feel stupid, which breaks my heart. This is so important!
#19 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3momkmb
DD always laughs when we pass the school who has a big sign about reading 20minutes a day to your child. *ONLY 20 minutes mom! We read for hours!*
That is so neat!!!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#20 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
My DS never sits still and he appears to be paying no attention to me at all, but he is listening. Our story time usually consists of him rolling all over the floor, playing with cars or jumping on the bed. However, if I read something funny he'll laugh and he really does remember what I've read to him. I wouldn't worry about trying to get her to sit still.

If she wants to turn pages could she have her own book?
#21 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 AM

I wish I could tell stories off the cuff to my kids, but sadly I lack that kind of creativity...so I READ LOTS my kids are great at the stories and i write them down for them...And like many of you, I feel like I am an oddity in my community..homeschool and at large...for reading to my kids...I'm so surprised how many people DON'T read to their kids!!! (They are all going to HELL!! )

I read to my infants, even if it was my books in a motherese voice.

My 9 year old did not learn to read early, but has always loved to be read to....the 5 year old is reading some and has always been read to. We just enjoy it. My DH even loves it...maybe he just enjoys watching my antics and voice changing???

I don't think we could overdo a Read to Your Kids campaign...or anyone else's kids either!!!
#22 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama
Read to her while she's eating or taking a bath.

Namaste!
Reading while eating is a no go. I have a hard enough time getting her to eat anything, that we have to eat in total silence for her to be able to take one or two bites without getting distracted.

Eating in the bath, no go too. Not enough room to sit in the bathroom away from the bathtub...She no longer has any water proof books...and well..I dont believe in mistreating books. And getting them soaked..well that's just not cool KWIM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3momkmb
My DS never sits still and he appears to be paying no attention to me at all, but he is listening. Our story time usually consists of him rolling all over the floor, playing with cars or jumping on the bed. However, if I read something funny he'll laugh and he really does remember what I've read to him. I wouldn't worry about trying to get her to sit still.

If she wants to turn pages could she have her own book?
This kid isn't paying attention though. I can tell. If I read her a story she's all over and in other rooms and just totally ignoring me. She just does not care and has other more important things to do. She's more into her Gross Motor play than anything that has to do with brain power...trust me I can tell when I'm being ignored. She ignores me so I give up. I really hate not reading to her..but...if she ignores me what's the point? And getting her her own book? She rips pages...as I said I abhore mistreatment of books and having her shred pages of any book really rubs me the wrong way. I have to tape up a few pages of her Once Upon a Potty book because she got ahold of it...

I let her shred paper to her hearts content. Anything that has to go into the recycling, I hand to her to rip up. She gets LOTS of ripping and shredding time...she just really really enjoys ripping books. and I dont like it. Books are for years of enjoyment...and I dont have the money to keep replacing the books she shreds....
#23 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 10:09 AM

I haven't really noticed any sort of campaign like that. I mean there are posters in the library, but goodness, it's a library. I expect that. Of course I don't have a TV nor do we listen to the radio much (we only have one in the van and it's off almost all the time). I haven't noticed any billboards to that effect, however.

I do think it's a good thing to remind parents to read to kids. For many parents it's sadly not something they'd think of. (And I definitely am not a storyteller... my 6 year old is a better storyteller than I am. And, oh, man, I would die in a house without books.)
#24 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I read to my kids about every day. Since they were infants. I love to read and I read to myself 4 to 5 books a week. I really don't think "advertising" is going to work to increase reading all that much. Because I buy nearly all of our books at yard sales I am sadly aware that the quality of books that most children are exposed to are extremely poor. The pictures are ugly, the words have no beauty, no rhythm, no complexity. I just can't see how reading these types of books is going to make a child really love to read. When reading was rare it was coveted; when books were costly and out of reach they were treasured. People have risked iimprisonment to learn to read or to teach another literacy skills. Maybe the ads should show a happy Mom or Dad cuddled up with the kids on the couch or bed reading something really wonderful and the only words we would hear are the words of the author... Of course, I don't watch t.v. so I haven't seen the current ads! I do, however, resist the "prizes" offered for reading at local libraries, etc Our children are soooo smart and wonderful, they deserve to read just for fun!
#25 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

I hear ya EmsMom! I used to be a voracious reader, I still am but I have no books TO read! Seriously I own Earths Children, The Belgariad and the Malorean and Belgarath the Sorcerer that is IT!!! My mom has a HUGE library of books I"m interested in but..they are hers lol. Mabe when she passes I'll get em. But for now, I've read all the books that intrest me in the house...DH has some Sci Fi and video game based novels..but they dont intrest me in the slightest. And of course books are a luxury we can't afford right now, and our local library, that's a joke, it's run by the Canadian Armed Forces and has jack squat. Heck, the library in the rural town my parents live in has a better selection of Fantasy and thrillers...

It pains me that my daughter wont be a reading kid. Since she doesn't really care to be read to, nor does she really care that books exist except for her ripping and shredding pleasure...and well she doesn't see me read because I have no books...it's really one of those things that breaks my heart....I really want to set an example....but she just wants to work on other things....
#26 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
It pains me that my daughter wont be a reading kid. Since she doesn't really care to be read to, nor does she really care that books exist except for her ripping and shredding pleasure...and well she doesn't see me read because I have no books...it's really one of those things that breaks my heart....I really want to set an example....but she just wants to work on other things....
Don't give up yet! Maddie was very much not interested in books at that age but loves to listen now (she's 10). She was a scribbler not a shredder LOL! I certainly didn't read much then either with a newborn in the house and trying to keep her out of trouble. She's still not reading due to a developmental delay, but she's getting a lot from hearing me read to her and she's starting to enjoy *reading* graphic novels.
#27 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 11:04 AM

Pandora...She could still be a voracious reader. They change a lot over time.

DD2 loves to be read to. Has particular favorite books at almost 2. DD1 (5.8)was too on the go to like it until last year. I told her stories about Princess (her name) who live in a castle in (our town) with her mommy, Queen Mommy and her Amma, Queen Amma and her dragon (pet's name) who breathed fire (fire noise). Then I'd "fairy tale" anything she'd done that day...while she was in the bath, building something (she's always building something)...kind of like I sing when we're doing stuff. I'd also pick up a book and read while she built.

Of course, the Magic School Bus books she'd sit for when she was tired. Anything to help her fight sleep.

I don't have any feeling one way or the other about the read to your kid campaigns. I think parenting is best when the parent is really engaged with the kid and reading can be a big part of that since it's a mellow things to do together. Personally, I'd rather the money be spent dropping off giant boxes of new books in underfunded neighborhoods. Fast food places giving them instead of plastic toys. Kid prizes at the supermarket instead of cookies and balloons (but not instead of the car carts, I need the car carts.) Charities competing with each other to match the books to their values....One leaving books of KJV bibles, one Captain Underpants, one King and King. Like that.

After that we could start a campaign to drop off boxes of math manipulatives and microscopes, but I digress.

That's just my happy dream world.
#28 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 11:19 AM

For the toddler who won't hold still for reading, have you tried while nursing? I read to DD while she nurses at naptime and bedtime. We usually do one picture book (often a board book, which she can then hold and even when she was younger I didn't have to stress about it getting torn up) and then from a chapter book (right now we're reading Lord of the Rings--we've gotten into the Two Towers) until she's asleep.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#29 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
This kid isn't paying attention though. I can tell. If I read her a story she's all over and in other rooms and just totally ignoring me.
If you are absolutely convinced that you can't read to her and she gets nothing from it, I'd say read whatever YOU want to read and read it out loud. Your daughter will get used to hearing people read out loud, whether she "listens" or not, and, perhaps when she's older, that experience with hearing people read aloud will ease the transition to being read to.

Namaste!
#30 of 184 Old 06-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin
For the toddler who won't hold still for reading, have you tried while nursing? I read to DD while she nurses at naptime and bedtime. We usually do one picture book (often a board book, which she can then hold and even when she was younger I didn't have to stress about it getting torn up) and then from a chapter book (right now we're reading Lord of the Rings--we've gotten into the Two Towers) until she's asleep.
Umm she stopped at 8 months due to my stupidity.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page