Gee, don't you have anything normal for him to watch at his age? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-14-2006, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
UGH!

Tonight, we had some friends over. They are watching their 4 year old granddaughter for the week while their daughter and sil work (the daycare provider is on vacation).

Anyway, our 7 year old son was so excited as we had just received the latest David Attenborough DVD, "Life In the Undergrowth" ((all about insects and completely FASCINATING!)).

He asked her grandparents if it is okay for her to watch some of it with him (it's pouring rain, so no outside play and she is pretty destructive of his toys) before he mentioned it to her. We told him to always do this, awhile back, just in case someone doesn't want their child to see something in particular.

They said sure and the two kids ran upstairs to watch it.

Our friends then proceed to ask us if ds has ANYTHING normal to watch, you know, like Barney or the Wiggles or Dora. Regular shows that a kid should see, not all these nature and educational programs.

I was amazed! Um, yes, we said, we have a huge video/DVD collection (we don't have TV reception by choice). Ds is quite an Alfred Hitchcock fan and he loves British comedies, too. But, Barney? Wiggles? Dora? Nope, no way. Obviously, not at age 7, but he never saw any of those character programs when he was younger, either.

Ds loves these programs and I told them this. He even wrote a letter to David Attenborough praising all his series and explaining his favorites.

They laughed and said, "Oh, he should be writing to Dora or Mickey Mouse instead at this age, not some old guy that likes bugs!"

They just don't get it.......................... Sigh...........

For what it's worth, hee-hee-hee, their granddaughter loved the program and asked them to buy her a copy of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#2 of 20 Old 06-14-2006, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my son's favorites are allthe "walk with dinosaurs" and all their spin-offs.
Haven't tried Attenborough with him yet. -- I'll see if the library has it.
#3 of 20 Old 06-15-2006, 12:51 AM

That's my mom. But her thing with my kids was happy meals.

Good for you on eliminating tv reception. I don't mind it because I'm not a couch potato and like to tivo anything of interest. With my kids, I do limit tv viewing and our summers are typically no-tv.

I can certainly say we have more than our fair share of Dora

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

#4 of 20 Old 06-15-2006, 04:07 AM

We watch all sorts of stuff. And what is normal anyway? I like Between the Lions and Little Bill, and Dd likes Wheel of Fortune.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#5 of 20 Old 06-15-2006, 09:09 AM

Proof is in the p uddin'.....the "normal" one liked the video....

I guess I haven't had any of those pressures from anyone....wow, the Midwest is so accepting!!!
#6 of 20 Old 06-15-2006, 11:55 AM

That reminds me of something my MIL said to me once. She was playing with DD and commented on how she needed some toys because she didn't really have any. I told her now we don't we have MORE then enough toys. Her response was no not really there's a lot of books and she doesn't have any toys she that will interact with her. DD loves to look at books and be read to and I have no desire to have a toy that talks and lights up and interacts with my child instead of a human. My sister always watched videos of animals and bugs and stuff growing up she loved the stuff. That's great your child has an interest in something worthwhile not cartoon characters.

Pam
#7 of 20 Old 06-15-2006, 12:25 PM

#8 of 20 Old 06-15-2006, 12:26 PM

I love that the granddaughter ended up asking them to buy the DVD.
Our dd's current favorite video (we don't have cable or anything, either) is a documentary on Leon Theremin....she also enjoys one about the Mpingo tree. She does have some Wiggles, Casper, Gumby and other videos, but enjoys them all. When she was littler, she'd watch guitar repair videos with her daddy.
#9 of 20 Old 06-15-2006, 12:37 PM

regardless of what your tv philosophy is, why do ppl jump to judge everyone else? i just dont get it. were they trying to make themselves feel better that Dora and Barney are "normal" and you just arent??? or are they really that brainwashed by all the ads they see on TV???? THATS why i dont like my kids watching tv...way too much brainwashing going on!!
#10 of 20 Old 06-15-2006, 04:42 PM

Reminds me of when dd was just turned 6, and I got a new sewing machine. She was the one that wanted too watch the video that came with it. Then wouldn't you know, a few days later I was sitting there trying too figure something on it out. She came up and showed me how to do it!

I'll have too check out David Attenborough. I'm trying too get my kids away from the "normal videos" and more interested in the "strange" ones!

wife to my modifiedartist.gif and homeschool.gif mom to my 3 monkees dd 15 photosmile2.gif, ds13 geek.gif ,ds 9 nut.gif

#11 of 20 Old 06-16-2006, 06:57 AM

We don't have a lot of dvds and don't have a tv but we have both Attenborough's Mammals collection and his marine life collection. We all love them. Didn't know he had an insect one but DS#2 is absolutely passionate about bugs (I am right now babysitting his ladybug collection). Great Christmas gift for him--but I probably won't be able to wait that long. Thanks for the tip.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#12 of 20 Old 06-16-2006, 10:05 AM

We shose not get TV recepition about 1 1/2 years ago and love it this way. We do have some of the supposed "normal" videos, but my little ones love all the nature, animal, physics and such type videos far more. They ask such in depth questions from what they see from those videos.
#13 of 20 Old 06-16-2006, 12:05 PM

they just don't know what they are missing!! what does it matter what your son watches anyway?

my boys LOVE those too! and walk with dinosaurs and all others dealing w/ animals, bugs, nature..... Sundays we have a standing date to watch nature together on PBS!
#14 of 20 Old 06-16-2006, 10:58 PM

That is great that the 4 year old liked the video so much that she wanted her own copy! Heck, it isn't normal for adults to watch documen. here even. We are the odd balls for watching them and for knowing something other than pop culture. *sigh*
#15 of 20 Old 06-16-2006, 11:57 PM

At my age I suppose I need to be watching the news or I Love The 80's.

But I won't turn off my Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends to do it.

age schmage
#16 of 20 Old 06-17-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
At my age I suppose I need to be watching the news or I Love The 80's.

But I won't turn off my Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends to do it.

age schmage

LOL! We love I love the 80's and Fosters too. Age schmage indeed

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#17 of 20 Old 06-17-2006, 12:50 AM

my dd must be a hybrid
she watches documentaries on undersea life and tells me shes watching spongebob....

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#18 of 20 Old 06-17-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa

LOL! We love I love the 80's and Fosters too. Age schmage indeed
I like cereal.

Si. And I like potatoes.

I like ce re al.

si. and I like potatoes.

ROFLOL I love Cheez. He's my favorite.
#19 of 20 Old 06-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Right now, my ds' favorite video is a birth video.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#20 of 20 Old 06-17-2006, 04:15 PM

That's funny. My 4 yo is the same way--loves DVDs about animals and nature and real life stuff.

He doesn't watch any regular tv. Everywhere we go people will ask him about characters and it is becoming annoying because he doesn't know what they are. And then it's "really? No Dora? How about Sponge Bob? Bob the Builder?" :roll:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page