Story of the world- pics or just read alound? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 50 Old 06-18-2006, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
quaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD loves books. (she's about 4).

She can listen to me read long books, BUT she does want a picture on occasion. Is story of the world simply a read alound, or does it have pictures.

Any other ideas of interesting history books for young kids. I have a little house excerpt book, that has pictures, I thought of reading to her... give at least a little flavor of history.

Tammy
quaz is offline  
#2 of 50 Old 06-18-2006, 03:45 PM
 
Queen Gwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Story of the World is a read aloud, not a picture book.

We have some picture books of the Epic of Gilgamesh by Ludmila Zeman, and also the Shipwrecked Sailor by ... I forget who that's by. These aren't history, but ancient stories.
Queen Gwen is offline  
#3 of 50 Old 06-18-2006, 11:51 PM
 
USAmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 18,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use SOTW but it's just a small part of what we do with history. I will see the subject of that chapter, read ahead, then check out a whole stack of books related to it. The books have good pictures for dd to look at and understand the subject better and really get into it. Right now we are doing Egypt and I have rented some documentaries on it, checked out books, and we just made a paper mache cat mummy today. All of that is beyond SOTW. But she loves to sit and listen to the stories in that book too and really gets into it. The other day she saw a book on Native Americans at the library and asked, "Are those nomads like in my world story book?" Not quite but at least I know she's thinking about it.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."
 
USAmma is offline  
#4 of 50 Old 06-19-2006, 12:05 AM
 
moominmamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Posts: 5,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Just thought I'd pipe up and mention that I think 4 is a little young for Story of the World for most kids. I have kids who are pretty sophisticated readaloud listeners, who were all happy listening to chapter books like "Charlotte's Web" and similar children's novels by about their 4th birthdays, but I felt they needed to be a bit older than that for SOTW for reasonable comprehension. Around the fifth birthday worked for us, with 6 being about the ideal age. Since I think your dd is still three, you might consider waiting a while.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

moominmamma is online now  
#5 of 50 Old 06-19-2006, 02:40 AM
 
USAmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 18,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma
Just thought I'd pipe up and mention that I think 4 is a little young for Story of the World for most kids. I have kids who are pretty sophisticated readaloud listeners, who were all happy listening to chapter books like "Charlotte's Web" and similar children's novels by about their 4th birthdays, but I felt they needed to be a bit older than that for SOTW for reasonable comprehension. Around the fifth birthday worked for us, with 6 being about the ideal age. Since I think your dd is still three, you might consider waiting a while.

Miranda
I agree! My dd was 5 when we got it. I read the first part and then put it down for awhile and now she's 5.5 and really getting into it more.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."
 
USAmma is offline  
#6 of 50 Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 AM
 
Queen Gwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The D'Aulaires have some cool history books with lots of pictures.
Queen Gwen is offline  
#7 of 50 Old 06-19-2006, 09:42 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,507
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Gwen
The D'Aulaires have some cool history books with lots of pictures.
I was going to suggest this too!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#8 of 50 Old 06-19-2006, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
quaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma
Just thought I'd pipe up and mention that I think 4 is a little young for Story of the World for most kids. I have kids who are pretty sophisticated readaloud listeners, who were all happy listening to chapter books like "Charlotte's Web" and similar children's novels by about their 4th birthdays, but I felt they needed to be a bit older than that for SOTW for reasonable comprehension. Around the fifth birthday worked for us, with 6 being about the ideal age. Since I think your dd is still three, you might consider waiting a while.

Miranda
Ah, ya see that is exactly why I was asking if it had pics or not. Being just a read-aloud, nope it won't work for her. She will listen to magic tree house all in one sitting (despite me trying to take a break or two).. so yah, can listen to chapter books, BUT they need pictures every few pages. SOTW won't work for her yet... but was the one homeschooling 'history' stuff I had heard of.

I was trying to find some 'fun' kids history type books for younger kids... the other day she was wanting to know about everything in China... or will ask about people from 'long ago'. We've done a bit of little house books...

Tammy
quaz is offline  
#9 of 50 Old 06-19-2006, 11:22 PM
 
Jennifer3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 4,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a confession.

I read DD (well, and DS is usually attached to the other boobie at the same time) a page or two out of SOTF everyday. I know. I know. She has very little clue of what I'm talking about but sometimes, I just cannot do another moment of Dr. Seuss or chatty turtles or pink poodles, etc. etc.

I read SOTW for me. Although DD does get a good laugh out of things every once in awhile. For some reason, the word "Sumerian" just cracks her up. She ran around the house with her diaper falling off her fanny today screaming, "Sumerian!" at the top of her lungs. I have no idea why. I wonder if I emphasized it or something.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Jennifer3141 is offline  
#10 of 50 Old 06-20-2006, 02:45 AM
 
eilonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lost
Posts: 15,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think that three's too young for SOTW, necessarily. The chapters are *extremely* short, especially in the beginning. I think that pictures would be great, but there's better history-related art to be found at the library.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
eilonwy is offline  
#11 of 50 Old 06-20-2006, 02:55 AM
 
littlest birds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: a dream-filled fixer-upper
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
I don't think that three's too young for SOTW, necessarily. The chapters are *extremely* short, especially in the beginning. I think that pictures would be great, but there's better history-related art to be found at the library.
I think only if you enjoy introducing the most mature content possible to your children as early as possible would you want to choose this book for 3yo. In other words, though not completely inconceivable for a 3yo, it would be best thought of as an "extreme" choice for that age. A situation where it could be appropriate would be extremely rare.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)
 
 

littlest birds is offline  
#12 of 50 Old 06-20-2006, 03:19 AM
 
eilonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lost
Posts: 15,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeporgarten
I think only if you enjoy introducing the most mature content possible to your children as early as possible would you want to choose this book for 3yo. In other words, though not completely inconceivable for a 3yo, it would be best thought of as an "extreme" choice for that age. A situation where it could be appropriate would be extremely rare.
The most mature content possible? By what standards?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
eilonwy is offline  
#13 of 50 Old 06-20-2006, 04:16 AM
 
littlest birds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: a dream-filled fixer-upper
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
relatively "average" ones I would have to admit...

Though I also admit my wording in the previous comment may have been too strong.

I don't understand what the deal is about doing things early. It's come up in a lot of recent threads that I have read, and I know that some folks are into that approach and most aren't--that is obviously fine--but considering the op and her questions I am . She seemed interested in knowing whether a child interested in picture books would enjoy the book.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)
 
 

littlest birds is offline  
#14 of 50 Old 06-20-2006, 09:31 AM
 
Jennifer3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 4,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeporgarten
relatively "average" ones I would have to admit...

Though I also admit my wording in the previous comment may have been too strong.

I don't understand what the deal is about doing things early. It's come up in a lot of recent threads that I have read, and I know that some folks are into that approach and most aren't--that is obviously fine--but considering the op and her questions I am . She seemed interested in knowing whether a child interested in picture books would enjoy the book.
And I think it's kind of funny that you're so worried about what anyone else's children are "enjoying."

As "silly" as my reading SOTW to my kids is, my DH reads medical journals to her and they have a BLAST. Maybe your children wouldn't but my DD just soaks that up. Does she understand it? Nope. Does it negate the fun time she has with Daddy because she has no clue what diabetes or neroblastoma is? Nope.

If she wasn't enjoying herself she'd just get up, walk out the door, and empty the cat food dish unto the floor.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Jennifer3141 is offline  
#15 of 50 Old 06-20-2006, 10:41 AM
 
eilonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lost
Posts: 15,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeporgarten
relatively "average" ones I would have to admit...
I still don't understand. Please explain the standards by which SotW would be considered "the most mature content possible."

Quote:
I don't understand what the deal is about doing things early. It's come up in a lot of recent threads that I have read, and I know that some folks are into that approach and most aren't--that is obviously fine--but considering the op and her questions I am . She seemed interested in knowing whether a child interested in picture books would enjoy the book.
You're the one making a big deal about this. Some people do things earlier and some later. Not every child is the same, and not every parent is the same. I don't understand what's so difficult about that. To me, the OP seemed to be asking if SotW would be a fun book for a child who likes to listen to longer stories, but likes to see a picture every now and then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaz
She can listen to me read long books, BUT she does want a picture on occasion. Is story of the world simply a read alound, or does it have pictures.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
eilonwy is offline  
#16 of 50 Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 AM
 
~*SugarMama*~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Barnes and Nobles carries a wonderful history series for kids called "If I was.....". Some of the titles include "If I was at Ellis Island", "If I lived in a log cabin like Abe Lincoln", etc. I haven't started getting them yet because neither of my children are into history yet (getting an interest though from reading The Magic Treehouse Series) but I am planning on asking for those.
~*SugarMama*~ is offline  
#17 of 50 Old 06-20-2006, 10:12 PM
 
littlest birds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: a dream-filled fixer-upper
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141
And I think it's kind of funny that you're so worried about what anyone else's children are "enjoying."

As "silly" as my reading SOTW to my kids is, my DH reads medical journals to her and they have a BLAST. Maybe your children wouldn't but my DD just soaks that up. Does she understand it? Nope. Does it negate the fun time she has with Daddy because she has no clue what diabetes or neroblastoma is? Nope.

If she wasn't enjoying herself she'd just get up, walk out the door, and empty the cat food dish unto the floor.
I'm not worried what other people's children "enjoy". The op is looking for history curriculum--I assume comprehension does matter. If I asked for health curriculum for my 4yo you would not suggest your dh's medical journals, or so I assume. That doesn't mean they couldn't be fun and even beneficial in some ways... Please realize that you are jumping to concclusions about my meaning, and that I am not ignorant or simple-minded therefore it is actually possible that what I am saying isn't either.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)
 
 

littlest birds is offline  
#18 of 50 Old 06-20-2006, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
 
quaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow.

How about regardless of what everyone thinks I was asking....

we leave it at the point that SOTW will not work, b/c it doesn't even have an occasional pic.


Tammy
quaz is offline  
#19 of 50 Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 PM
 
littlest birds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: a dream-filled fixer-upper
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaz
Wow.

How about regardless of what everyone thinks I was asking....

we leave it at the point that SOTW will not work, b/c it doesn't even have an occasional pic.


Tammy
Actually it DOES have pictures.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)
 
 

littlest birds is offline  
#20 of 50 Old 06-20-2006, 10:51 PM
 
littlest birds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: a dream-filled fixer-upper
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
I still don't understand. Please explain the standards by which SotW would be considered "the most mature content possible."
As I said my word choice was extreme-though otherwise it is fairly apt. You did add an even younger age--compared to what other posters said. Also, I was refering to a pattern on multiple threads of similar comments on doing things early. I don't wish to discuss other threads further than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
You're the one making a big deal about this. Some people do things earlier and some later. Not every child is the same, and not every parent is the same. I don't understand what's so difficult about that. To me, the OP seemed to be asking if SotW would be a fun book for a child who likes to listen to longer stories, but likes to see a picture every now and then:
Actually I was making a pretty small deal about it. My original comment was an extremely brief one, especially for me. I don't give a hoot if we are all the same--that is-- why would I want us to be? I guess it is that I have no idea why anyone would want to choose SOTW for 3yo for history, or why that even comes up in relation to the original question. If we are different and this particular difference makes me because I really don't understand the gratuitous commentary on potential precocity, or it irritates me more than "average" because I grew up surrounded by adults who were way too interested in my own so-called genius, my high IQ, and my potential, then you can assume I am coming from a different perspective.

Uggh How many times I heard about how early I read, what atypical topics I studied or advanced things I was doing, what my score was on this or that I cannot even begin to count, and I assure you it was NOT a healthy emphasis. (Nobody was obsessed--it was simply a fairly frequent topic) If you are a parent with a precocious child do be careful how you talk about it and how much you "get into it" or even push for more of it once you see that the potential is there. And a parent excited by their child's intelligence can get pushy without even intending to. And lose sight of whole child development for the sake of "mental" or "abilities" development. When I hear (or read here) a lot of comments about stuff like this, to me it suggests imbalance. That doesn't have to be the case, but it IS the reason it starts to rub me the wrong way after a while.

(I don't pretend I don't have a personal bias.)

Anyhow, Eilonwy, I am sure you have thought about this all at length already so I guess I won't ask you to give it some thought. You certainly know what you think, including that I am being extreme in finding it annoying or mentioning it. That's fine.

I apologize for my blabbage on the nice thread quaz and all. I didn't really have a goal of making it a long discussion--it was just a quick comment on something I'd noticed and it got a bit out of hand. No further comments here. Peace.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)
 
 

littlest birds is offline  
#21 of 50 Old 06-22-2006, 01:55 PM
 
ChristaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeporgarten
If we are different and this particular difference makes me because I really don't understand the gratuitous commentary on potential precocity, or it irritates me more than "average" because I grew up surrounded by adults who were way too interested in my own so-called genius, my high IQ, and my potential, then you can assume I am coming from a different perspective.

Uggh How many times I heard about how early I read, what atypical topics I studied or advanced things I was doing, what my score was on this or that I cannot even begin to count, and I assure you it was NOT a healthy emphasis. (Nobody was obsessed--it was simply a fairly frequent topic) If you are a parent with a precocious child do be careful how you talk about it and how much you "get into it" or even push for more of it once you see that the potential is there. And a parent excited by their child's intelligence can get pushy without even intending to. And lose sight of whole child development for the sake of "mental" or "abilities" development. When I hear (or read here) a lot of comments about stuff like this, to me it suggests imbalance. That doesn't have to be the case, but it IS the reason it starts to rub me the wrong way after a while.
I truly apologize for leading this thread more astray, but was wondering if you could give me your perspective here b/c this post of yours piqued my interest. (I lurk on this forum much more than I post b/c, while I have homeschooled in the past, my girls will be attending a charter school in the fall. I strongly suspect that I am a lot more involved in their education than some of their prior teachers would have liked, though, since there seemed to be a 'give 'em to us and go away' approach at their prior school. I'm hoping that this new school will give us a better balance there.)

Anyway, back to where I was going ...

I was in much the same position as a child as you describe as far as being precocious and out of the norm, but in a complete opposite spot in other regards. I apparently had an IQ test done when I was a teen and hospitalized for an eating disorder, but no one ever told me the results at that time. It was only when my older dd was identified as gifted at age 7 that I looked back in retrospect and realized what was "wrong" with me as a child. In the past year, I have joined Mensa, met a few people with whom I can truly relate and am less isolated emotionally than I was growing up. I knew that there was something different about me, but my self esteem was so rock-bottom low that I simply thought that I was defective in some way and never would have suspected that I was more intelligent, more capable or more of anything (other than more unhappy). There was no focus on my "ability" or whatever you want to call it. I vividly recall, in my early 20s speaking with my aunt and her telling me that it was like my parents "didn't have a daughter" b/c I was just ignored in comparison to my brother who was the star of the family.

Obviously these are two extremes that we experienced here.

I certainly don't want to ignore my dd's abilities and I want her to have the confidence to know that she truly can succeed if she works hard; that she is special and not just weird. I don't want her growing up making up stories in her mind to explain why the other kids don't understand her b/c she doesn't know why she is different. I have been somewhat open with her about what it is that makes her different, but I also want to find that balance. I am not aiming to raise a child with a superiority complex any more than I am aiming to raise a child who is spending her teen years starving herself and slicing her arms with razor blades like I did.

I wonder where you feel that balance lies? If you have a child who is happy to coast and never work and can do the expected work for a child his/her age with no effort, do you just leave it at that? I worry b/c I never learned any study habits and sank like a rock my freshman year at Berkeley b/c I didn't know how to be accountable. I was lazy b/c I was used to life being easy and never having to work to do my best. I want my girls to be challenged only b/c I want them to learn how to put in an effort and a good effort at that.

Do you tell your child why s/he is different? My older dd has known that she was different for as long as she has been around other kids. It's not b/c I have told her so. She came home from kindergarten upset regularly b/c the other kids didn't want to spend the whole recess picking up trash and writing petitions to the principal to get a trashcan on the playground (this is one example of many).

It has only been in the past 6-8 months that we've at all discussed why b/c I want her to understand herself and her gifts. I don't want her to make up reasons on her own. I convinced myself that I was an alien from a planet named Tibit who was stuck inhabiting a human body until I was either 7, 13 or 21 and that my true family would come and rescue me on one of those bds. It can just feel like you are an oddball when the other kids aren't interested in what you are, when your inner life and thoughts are more mature, and other kids look at you like an alien.

I'm being very sincere here. I really want to do right by my daughter. I want her to grow up whole and intact emotionally. How would you approach stretching a child who can obviously do more as well as helping her understand who she is without turning her into an egomaniac?
ChristaN is offline  
#22 of 50 Old 06-22-2006, 03:30 PM
 
USAmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 18,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to suggest Usborne Internet Linked books for those of you who don't know about them yet.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."
 
USAmma is offline  
#23 of 50 Old 06-22-2006, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
quaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I'll bite, and make my thread more off topic.


I think this is one of the potential issues with kids that are advanced/gifted, or whatever you want to call it. Two bright kids, and two very different experiences. Some of it is environment, but some of it is going to also be due to temperment/personality. I think for us as parents, how we deal with it in our own kids does get 'colored' by our experiences.

I look at me... I'm smack dab between both these posts...my parent never made a 'big' deal about it and I never felt 'different'. I didn't have the best 'social' experience with kids in grade school, but was fine in jr high and high school.

It's interesting b/c looking back, my parents almost took an 'unschooling' approach with me. They were hands off. I knew the results of my test scores, and knew I had good grades and was in 'gifted' programs... but at the same time, they NEVER asked me if I had homework to do (if I did, I simply did it)... they never really asked me questions about school. School was simpy my job and I did it. At home time was time with my family, and questions concerned other things. I really like that approach, and try to follow something reasonably similar, BUT tweaked to meet my kid's needs and temperment.

For my oldest... if something doesn't interest her, she will let me know in about 10 seconds, and that's it. So, as the one poster said, her kids LOVED to listen to daddy read anything.. my oldest would hate it. She is beyond basic picture books, and wants something with a more complex story and long story, BUT still wants pictures, b/c THAT it was fires her imagination. BUT, that is my child, and her temperment.. while other kids simply want to hear everything and anything a person can possibly read.

I read dd a March of the Penguin book, b/c she likes penguins... lots of pictures, yet of course tailored to adults. She loved it, though, and I knew she would, and she spent the next hour pretending to be a penguin that didn't have it's swim feathers, and making complex scenarios. (she even had a friendly polar bear come down from the arctic and visit her ;-) )


To me, the key to the balance between not having your child get sick of hearing about 'how smart they are' or just an unmeaning emphasis on intellegence, and the other extreme of your child feeling like some sort of alien from space.... is understanding your child's temperment and getting that emotional dialogue with them early.




For me, in the event I don't homeschool, and in the event the girls end up in gifted classes, well they'll be aware they are in the class, but I won't make any bigger deal about it than any other part of their life. They will get to see their test scores, just like they'd see their report cards, or any other information like that... but again, no big deal. For some kids they may need to have that talked up a bit more, and other kids need it back burnered... a child that is highly emotional and feels they can't fit it.... whether b/c of intellegence, looks, whatever... they do need that extra 'help' to get through that stage.

Like everything in parenting, it just depends on each individual child and temperment.

HTH!

Tammy
quaz is offline  
#24 of 50 Old 06-23-2006, 12:10 AM
 
flyingspaghettimama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I just can't help it - but what IF your child is just weird? I mean, they like odd things, they reenact strange scenarios, are very sensitive, they like reading a lot (but only Garfield) yet you strongly suspect they are of average intelligence by all conventional IQ testing methodologies. What if there is no excuse for the weirdness? Can't that be cool, in of itself? What shall I say to her, "Oh, honey, you're just an indigo child, that's why you're different. Now can you wait to play 'pegaunidonkey's colossal church experience' until we leave the restaurant?"

What IF they are Tibits, in other words? And there is no Tibit testing methodology? Well, then you're just hosed as they are neither cheetah nor snail, but pegaunidonkeys named Tibit. Some kids feel different, and that's the shakes, because their parents haven't repressed it out of them yet. Maybe many children would be different and gifted if they weren't always pressured to be so dang normal, whatever that means. I still feel different, and I just find other adults who are also OK with their quirks and funky selves.

I like your approach, quaz. And, for the record, not that anyone cares, but I think SOTW is very poorly written, although a nice concept in essence. How many times can an author use the word, "that?" Some strong editing assistance was needed and not provided.
flyingspaghettimama is offline  
#25 of 50 Old 06-23-2006, 12:24 AM
 
OhTheThinks.....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Gwen
The D'Aulaires have some cool history books with lots of pictures.
Who ?? What ?? are the D'Aulaires ????????
Can I view this on Amazon or another website.Thanks
OhTheThinks..... is offline  
#26 of 50 Old 06-23-2006, 12:36 AM
 
OhTheThinks.....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
I wanted to suggest Usborne Internet Linked books for those of you who don't know about them yet.
How do you access these ??
Thanks
OhTheThinks..... is offline  
#27 of 50 Old 06-23-2006, 12:38 AM
 
flyingspaghettimama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTheThinks.....
Who ?? What ?? are the D'Aulaires ????????
Can I view this on Amazon or another website.Thanks
Now see, they rock. Start from here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038...lance&n=283155 and search on...
flyingspaghettimama is offline  
#28 of 50 Old 06-23-2006, 10:17 AM
 
eilonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lost
Posts: 15,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeporgarten
I guess it is that I have no idea why anyone would want to choose SOTW for 3yo for history, or why that even comes up in relation to the original question. If we are different and this particular difference makes me because I really don't understand the gratuitous commentary on potential precocity,
The OP said her daughter was "about four." I took that to mean that she was three and rapidly approaching her fourth birthday. My response was simply that I didn't think that three was too young. There was no "gratuitous commentary on potential precocity."

What I'm reading is that you attacked my post because you've got issues with the way that your parents handled your giftedness. I'm sorry that it sucked for you, but that's something better addressed on the "Support for Gifted Adults" thread. Lots and lots of gifted children are still irritated by all of the things that their parents did wrong. I just wanted to say this: The fact that I choose to read this sort of thing to my three year old doesn't mean that I'm running around telling anyone and everyone about how gifted my child is. It doesn't mean that this ever comes up in conversation in real life at all outside of the family or in his presense. There's no need to assume that because I choose to discuss our homeschooling selections here that I'm making a huge fuss about it everywhere else that we go. Yes, people can see that my child is different a lot of the time, and yes, strangers occasionally feel at liberty to comment on it, but I tend to say, "We think that he's wonderful, too," or something equally non-specific and non-offensive. You don't have to attack me for repeating your parents' mistakes, especially when I'm not making them. I find *that* offensive.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
eilonwy is offline  
#29 of 50 Old 06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
 
NoHiddenFees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTheThinks.....
How do you access these ??
Useborne Internet Linked books are regular books with supplemental internet content. You go to a the website mentioned in the book, put in the page number and that's it. I was skeptical at first, but there are some great resources there. We have the History Encylcopedia. Your library should have most of them.
NoHiddenFees is offline  
#30 of 50 Old 06-23-2006, 01:17 PM
 
3momkmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
Ok, I just can't help it - but what IF your child is just weird? I mean, they like odd things, they reenact strange scenarios, are very sensitive, they like reading a lot (but only Garfield) yet you strongly suspect they are of average intelligence by all conventional IQ testing methodologies. What if there is no excuse for the weirdness? Can't that be cool, in of itself? What shall I say to her, "Oh, honey, you're just an indigo child, that's why you're different. Now can you wait to play 'pegaunidonkey's colossal church experience' until we leave the restaurant?"

What IF they are Tibits, in other words? And there is no Tibit testing methodology? Well, then you're just hosed as they are neither cheetah nor snail, but pegaunidonkeys named Tibit. Some kids feel different, and that's the shakes, because their parents haven't repressed it out of them yet. Maybe many children would be different and gifted if they weren't always pressured to be so dang normal, whatever that means. I still feel different, and I just find other adults who are also OK with their quirks and funky selves.
I have kids like that *weirdo* is a term of endearment in our house LOL! The all know they are different and relish in it. My oldest will often say *being normal must be so boring*.

This goes along with having a special needs child, or at least it does for me. From the beginning I was blessed to find an autistic adult (on line) that wrote about respecting a child's autisticness (is that a word?) and allowing them to be the way they are instead of trying to normalize them. It really struck home with me. I have never been of the bent that say *my child afflicted with autism*. She's not *afflicted* with anything, it's part of who she is. My job is to teach her to navigate the world in all her autistic glory, which I hope I am doing. OT helps her to deal with the sensory things that bother her (like crowd noise and fire drills) so we do that. Mainstreaming her would try and make her into every other child so we don't do that. I want to help her be comfortable with herself and also comfortable with the world around her.

Anyway, I also try to treat my other children with similar respect and the results have been amazing IMO. Take Kelsey; she is equally at home cheering (an activity one tends to associate with the highest degree of uniformity), discussing the many wives of Henry VIII or the internal organs of dragons. She will play Marco Polo with the other kids and then leave the game to help (unasked) a mother on shore catch an escaping toddler. What wondrous things happen when you stop trying to make kids *fit in* eh?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now to answer the OP I have a couple of history books that might be of interest. The National Geographic Almanac of World History and The Story of Mankind. Both have short, but well written (IMO) chapters and many illustrations (SOM) and photos (AOWH). SOM is an older text so you may have to edit a bit for content but it's worth it IMO. They may be a bit too advanced, but not knowing the child in question I couldn't say for sure.
3momkmb is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off