Homeschooling Preschool Aged Children Support Thread, June 06 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 178 Old 06-24-2006, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who is using some kind of formal curriculum or guidelines and who is just winging it when it comes to preschool home education? I've checked some of Linda Dobson's books out of the library (per recommendation of other mothers here) and am beginning to look through the activities there for ideas. I'm also looking at the Before Five In A Row. Out of money this month but am thinking about purchasing it next month to begin to use. Who else has other books, websites or guidelines that they love using for preschool. I guess I'm so new to this I feel like I need some guidance to get us going.

Laura
#62 of 178 Old 06-24-2006, 10:53 AM

Does anyone else have very active, busy boys? Only being used to "traditional" learning I'm not sure how to corral them in to homeschooling but I'm beginning to realize I need to break those ideas in my own head. For example, my 2.5 year old will not let me read him a book. He immediately grabs it out of my hand and says "no I do it." I found that if I let him read another book while I'm reading to him then he at least won't grab it out of my hand. Neither of them want to or can sit still very long. Both are extremly curious and my 4.5 year old seems to be very interested in math (which scare me since I"m an English teacher and was always "afraid" of math.) He will take things and put them into sets and groups and has already learned how to count things that way (mostly by himself) so that he understands that two sets of two make 4 without having to count them individually and he understands subtraction and zero too. It's amazing to me that in the course of playing he's just beginning to discover and explore this on his own. Anyway, this long-winded post is to ask any other mothers with active young boys how they help to focus that energy and enthusiasm into active learning?

(sorry, I meant to put this with my other post but the coffee hadn't kicked in yet and I'm still figuring out this board system : .)

Laura
#63 of 178 Old 06-24-2006, 11:40 AM

I don't think we will follow a curriculum per say for preschooling. (though maybe I will change my mind later ) I would like to pick and choose what I want to use and keep things open. right now I am drawn to the montessori approach in a lot of ways but also love the idea of unschooling.right now I use this book ALOT for ideas with my 2yo so far.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087...630312?ie=UTF8
I can't say enough good things about it and it was worth every cent!

oh and I just have to share this too, I have just discovered this GREAT magazine
http://www.livefreelearnfree.com
(I can't get the page to come up right now, but this is the correct link)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#64 of 178 Old 06-24-2006, 11:56 AM

Laura,

My little guy is not quite 2 years old. I use meal times for some learning since he is sitting in one spot for a bit. When he was younger, I did word card with him daily at meals. He pick-up a lot of new signs from these sessions.

Teresa Jo
#65 of 178 Old 06-24-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauracd
Does anyone else have very active, busy boys? Only being used to "traditional" learning I'm not sure how to corral them in to homeschooling but I'm beginning to realize I need to break those ideas in my own head. For example, my 2.5 year old will not let me read him a book. He immediately grabs it out of my hand and says "no I do it." I found that if I let him read another book while I'm reading to him then he at least won't grab it out of my hand. Neither of them want to or can sit still very long.
I do most of my "sit down and be quiet" activies a bedtime because my DS is naturally doing that at that time. It is hopeless during the day - he doesn't even really eat "meals" he just snacks throughout the day. This is a child who runs in circles around the living room for fun.

He loves to cook, so I'm going to try and do more cooking activities with him. I think cooking is great, it incorporates so many different aspects - reading, following directions, sequencing, measuring, mixing, doing a project from beginning to end, and he LOVES it.

I also leave out his counting sets during the day. When I see that he's playing with them I'll go over there and do a quick activity like "let's see how many bears you can hold in your hand." Then we'll see how many bears fit in my hand and compare the two number using words like less, more, fewer, etc.

I highly recommend getting a couple of counting and sorting sets. We have a Mini Motors set and a Three Bear Family set. They also have dinosaurs, worms, anything that you can think of. My DS loves these sets and the uses for them are endless.

Hope this helps!
#66 of 178 Old 06-24-2006, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Does anyone else have very active, busy boys? Only being used to "traditional" learning I'm not sure how to corral them in to homeschooling but I'm beginning to realize I need to break those ideas in my own head. For example, my 2.5 year old will not let me read him a book. He immediately grabs it out of my hand and says "no I do it." I found that if I let him read another book while I'm reading to him then he at least won't grab it out of my hand. Neither of them want to or can sit still very long. Both are extremly curious and my 4.5 year old seems to be very interested in math (which scare me since I"m an English teacher and was always "afraid" of math.) He will take things and put them into sets and groups and has already learned how to count things that way (mostly by himself) so that he understands that two sets of two make 4 without having to count them individually and he understands subtraction and zero too. It's amazing to me that in the course of playing he's just beginning to discover and explore this on his own. Anyway, this long-winded post is to ask any other mothers with active young boys how they help to focus that energy and enthusiasm into active learning?
Well, my son loves doing sit-down work, but my two year old daughter is quite the firecracker. She vastly prefers to be moving most of the time. Like you, I prefer a more traditional approach to education, but I divorced "school" from "learning" when I was seven years old. Take heart! The glorious thing about home education is that there's absolutely no need for a child to sit still to learn. My niece is a kinesthetic learner, and can memorize absolutely *anything* as long as she's moving around while she does it. Jump on the bed and recite multiplication tables? No problem! Dance and learn a new poem? Fifteen minutes, and it's there for life. It's actually a very cool thing to watch.

It's really amazing to me, how much children can absorb when they're running around, seemingly oblivious. My son learned all about female puberty, for example, while crashing a car into various objects; I was answering questions for my niece and had no idea that he was listening at all, until he brought some of it up the next day.

If you're interested in getting your children to listen to stories, I'd have to recommend audio books in the car. They'll probably get less out of that; it sounds to me as though your boys pick things up more easily when they're in motion (though I could be mistaken, and you know your children better than I do, so please feel free to blow me off!). Still, they'll be hearing new things, and you never know what's going to stick.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#67 of 178 Old 06-24-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
If you're interested in getting your children to listen to stories, I'd have to recommend audio books in the car.
With my son, I take advantage of this "captive time" in the car and we listen to French song, stories and anything else I can find in French. I really like Baby's First Steps in French.

We also enjoy Putumayo Presents: French Cafe and Putumayo Kids Presents: French Playground
#68 of 178 Old 06-24-2006, 07:38 PM

The "right" environment for one boy (or girl) may not suite another boy (or girl) at all. All children learn in different ways...and those ways will likely evolve and change over time. One of the advantages of homeschholing is that you get the opportunity to teach to your own children's learning styles verses simply following the curriculum guidelines.
#69 of 178 Old 06-24-2006, 09:43 PM

It is so nice to know that others are in the same boat as me as far as active boys. Thanks for the information on the counting sets. This looks like something that would interest my boys and allow them to work with sets in a more tactile manner. I think at their age now that hands-on is the right approach. I want my sons to think that learning is fun but at the same time understand its importance. So much for this momma to learn.

Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77
I do most of my "sit down and be quiet" activies a bedtime because my DS is naturally doing that at that time. It is hopeless during the day - he doesn't even really eat "meals" he just snacks throughout the day. This is a child who runs in circles around the living room for fun.

He loves to cook, so I'm going to try and do more cooking activities with him. I think cooking is great, it incorporates so many different aspects - reading, following directions, sequencing, measuring, mixing, doing a project from beginning to end, and he LOVES it.

I also leave out his counting sets during the day. When I see that he's playing with them I'll go over there and do a quick activity like "let's see how many bears you can hold in your hand." Then we'll see how many bears fit in my hand and compare the two number using words like less, more, fewer, etc.

I highly recommend getting a couple of counting and sorting sets. We have a Mini Motors set and a Three Bear Family set. They also have dinosaurs, worms, anything that you can think of. My DS loves these sets and the uses for them are endless.

Hope this helps!
#70 of 178 Old 06-24-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Who is using some kind of formal curriculum or guidelines and who is just winging it when it comes to preschool home education? I've checked some of Linda Dobson's books out of the library (per recommendation of other mothers here) and am beginning to look through the activities there for ideas. I'm also looking at the Before Five In A Row. Out of money this month but am thinking about purchasing it next month to begin to use. Who else has other books, websites or guidelines that they love using for preschool. I guess I'm so new to this I feel like I need some guidance to get us going.

Laura
I can say that I'm basically just winging it. I'm just letting my dd's interests guide the way. We frequent the library once a week, and since she is starting to read, we get many easy reader books. Books on tape are also a favorite. Bob books (scholastic) are one of her favorites. The BFIAR is something I've been looking at as well. Heard lots of good things about it.

I don't know how you feel about tv, but the Leap Frog videos, such as letter factory, and talking words factory, are great for learning letters and letter sounds. They also have fridge phonics, or Word Whammer which are magnetic 'games' that can go on the fridge that my dd loves, and has taught her a lot about sounds, etc.

The cranium game Cariboo, is a lot of fun and it's for 3-5 yr. olds. It's fun for learning numbers, shapes, counting. Even Chutes & Ladders (for counting), or Candy Land (colors).

I basically look for things that's more just play type stuff, and not so structured at this point.

www.starfall.com is great on line reading/activities for free.

Linda Dobson's books are great. Lots of great ideas. I'm currently reading Homeschooling- Take a deep breath, you can do this! by Terrie Lynn Bittner, which is very good. I'd also recommend, John Holt books, Cathy Duffy, or Rebecca Rupp.

I'd also try to locate a homeschooling group in your area. They usually have meetings for newcomers, and are great for ideas/information you'd need.

Here's some sites for info on getting started:

http://www.homeedmag.com/gettingstarted.html
http://www.hsc.org/chaos/resources/general.php
http://www.homeschoolinformation.com/
http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/...Legalities.htm

I'm basically using this time to bulk up on what's out there. The amount of information is mind boggling : but the more that I learn about it, the less intimidating it becomes.

Hope this helps!
#71 of 178 Old 06-24-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisavasmom

The cranium game Cariboo, is a lot of fun and it's for 3-5 yr. olds. It's fun for learning numbers, shapes, counting. Even Chutes & Ladders (for counting), or Candy Land (colors).

I basically look for things that's more just play type stuff, and not so structured at this point.

www.starfall.com is great on line reading/activities for free.

I will have to look at the Cranium game. We have Candy Land. We play a modified version where she just draws a card and we find the next "purple square" and then draws another card and so on.
We have used Starfall some. I'm actually pleased with the learning letters section. She is remembering the letters we have done on there very well. Like recognizing "A" and remembering the sound and remembering the association between "A" "ah" and the objects starfall uses like ants and apple when we come across them in real life.

Pam
#72 of 178 Old 06-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Mom to "Froglet", almost 2.5. Her big interests: poems, bugs, plants, animals, and cooking. We do a lot of informal learning around here, but I'd like to be a little more deliberate and organized and get some ideas. I am naturally somewhat lazy (er, "freeform?) so something like a big unit does not appeal too much--I guess I'm more looking for simple ideas and materials/books. I have a natural draw towards Montessori and am always looking for more simple Montessori activities if folks have some good ideas there. DD really enjoys things like washing tables down with soapy water, pouring with pitchers, and transferring beans from container to container.

I have been meaning to buy some games, as I think she would enjoy that. Does anyone have any brilliant idea on how to acquire some cheaply? (Other than at yard sales, which I can't seem to find the time for...)

Froglet is a quick learner and has known letters, numbers, colors, shapes, etc for quite a while now. She knows letter sounds and initial word sounds and can rhyme, count and add; seems somewhere close to reading, although we aren't sure how close. However, she is nowhere near writing yet and can barely make a circle. I was wondering--would a workbook of any kind be at all something that might work for us, given this? How do you do that if the child can't really "mark" with any intent yet? Does anyone do this?

Also, I am interested in suggestions for books about science, history, geography, other cultures, etc that she might like. She has an inherent interest in maps and aerial photos that I have been meaning to encourage. She does like to page through those DK books, but the text is too long and dense. Something on the level of an easy reader would be just right--it can be quite long, as long as the words are fairly simple and presented clearly.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#73 of 178 Old 06-25-2006, 06:01 PM

joeandsarah77-
Have you used this curriculum in full, or just in part? I'm looking at the one for 2 year olds now, and while I do like it, my first reaction was "Where am I going to buy all this STUFF?" It seems like a lot of craft supplies and a lot of preparation time that I'm not sure I have. But perhaps it's simpler than it sounds.
Melanie
#74 of 178 Old 06-25-2006, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

I've been looking over that Letter of the Week site, and I think I might start doing it with BooBah. : She desperately wants to "do 'cool'" with her brother and cousins. I'd probably feel less strange about it if she could talk...

I've also decided that I need to spend less time on the computer. The kids need more attention, so I'm going to be online only when the kids are sleeping or with Daddy. Or, until I lose my mind and need a break... :

Workbooks-- BeanBean really liked them even before he was comfortable writing, but my impression is that he's very, very strange in that respect. Part of it was peer pressure (he wanted to do what his cousins were doing) and part of it was just his intensity and ability to focus (he enjoyed sitting and staring at the pages, trying to figure out what the activities meant). I'd give it a try, but don't force the issue of writing; just offer the opportunity.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#75 of 178 Old 06-25-2006, 06:49 PM

how about sorting?

DS and I recently made colored macaroni (ala zip lock bags & food coloring). he's still playing with it! (I put it in an egg carton and gave him a few different sized bowls and a cookie sheet) we used different shaped pastas and colors.

otherwise we do lots of pouring activities. (with water, rice, beans, cornmeal,oats, sand, water,you name it) we using different size measuring cups,funnels,strainers and spoons,etc.

he is currently car obsessed (hot wheels in particular) so anything he does involves his cars as well (rolling them through different textures-playdoh is a favorite)

another idea is dressing boards. DS is just getting into that!

ETA_ this link...lots of montessori type ideas here!
http://www.montessorimom.com/?Lessons_of_the_Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc

Mom to "Froglet", almost 2.5. Her big interests: poems, bugs, plants, animals, and cooking. We do a lot of informal learning around here, but I'd like to be a little more deliberate and organized and get some ideas. I am naturally somewhat lazy (er, "freeform?) so something like a big unit does not appeal too much--I guess I'm more looking for simple ideas and materials/books. I have a natural draw towards Montessori and am always looking for more simple Montessori activities if folks have some good ideas there. DD really enjoys things like washing tables down with soapy water, pouring with pitchers, and transferring beans from container to container.

I have been meaning to buy some games, as I think she would enjoy that. Does anyone have any brilliant idea on how to acquire some cheaply? (Other than at yard sales, which I can't seem to find the time for...)

Froglet is a quick learner and has known letters, numbers, colors, shapes, etc for quite a while now. She knows letter sounds and initial word sounds and can rhyme, count and add; seems somewhere close to reading, although we aren't sure how close. However, she is nowhere near writing yet and can barely make a circle. I was wondering--would a workbook of any kind be at all something that might work for us, given this? How do you do that if the child can't really "mark" with any intent yet? Does anyone do this?

Also, I am interested in suggestions for books about science, history, geography, other cultures, etc that she might like. She has an inherent interest in maps and aerial photos that I have been meaning to encourage. She does like to page through those DK books, but the text is too long and dense. Something on the level of an easy reader would be just right--it can be quite long, as long as the words are fairly simple and presented clearly.

#76 of 178 Old 06-25-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail
that letter of the week site looks good, but I have to admit, I got a bit turned off by their curriculum for 3 month olds and younger. yuck! Other than that, it seems like a good site. I love the idea of themse like jungle, kittens, etc...
Yeah, I don't get the idea of "teaching" babies. Even with my pre-schooler I sometimes look in the mirror and think "What?!". I love the themes though and I'm hoping that this is loose enough I can adapt it to fit our needs. I'm thikning of changing the lighthouse theme (since we live in the middle of the country) to a frog theme. The frogs should be everywhere by then if the weather stays wet enough. Cute little tadpoles all over the creeks. :

Eeeep! Tomorrow is offical day 1 for us! So scary and exciting!

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#77 of 178 Old 06-25-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
otherwise we do lots of pouring activities. (with water, rice, beans, cornmeal,oats, sand, water,you name it) we using different size measuring cups,funnels,strainers and spoons,etc.
This is one of DD's favorite ways to entertain herself! There are all kinds of dried beans in the most random places around here, and I expect to be finding them for years.
#78 of 178 Old 06-25-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Have you used this curriculum in full, or just in part? I'm looking at the one for 2 year olds now, and while I do like it, my first reaction was "Where am I going to buy all this STUFF?" It seems like a lot of craft supplies and a lot of preparation time that I'm not sure I have. But perhaps it's simpler than it sounds.
EMAID, I havn't used the free curriculum yet, just diffrent things off that web site. I didn't look at the one for 2's, only the one for 3's. My dd is 4 but that looks right up her ally. I made a mistake in telling you it only runs for 3 weeks lol I was just looking at the first section of it on creation.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "all this stuff "? You mean craft suplies? I guess I already would have most of it as the letter themes I make up myself are centerd around crafts. 'Craft stuff' is my middle name!
#79 of 178 Old 06-25-2006, 11:25 PM

Hi everyone..it's great to read everyone's thoughts! I'm getting some really great ideas from you!

One thing that is difficult for me is trying to work with 2 age-levels at once. Dd is almost 4 and loves to do book stuff and crafts and play games that ds (22 months) just isn't ready for. Ds needs a lot of attention and I would really love to be able to do more one-on-one stuff with dd. I'm thinking about maybe having a half-day here and there with him at Grandma's so that dd and I can go places alone. Anybody else have thoughts on dealing with this?

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#80 of 178 Old 06-26-2006, 01:03 AM

Hi again joeandsarah77-
Yeah I meant craft supplies, sorry. I said to DH, "This curriculum looks great, but I'm going to feel like a Girl Scout." He thought all the craft supplies would get expensive for us. I said it would probably be no different than buying a curriculum, but at the same time I'm not too crafty so I'm afraid I'd be a bit out of my element with it. But I have it recorded and if whatever we do this year doesn't work out it's a definate possibility. I do really like that the entire thing is based on a Biblical concept for each month- it really emphasizes God's Word as the basis for everything.

A few more comments on other stuff-
the lighthouse theme on Letter of the Week- I got excited about that one! We live near a pretty famous lighthouse, so I was hoping to check out if it had tours. I think my kids will also go crazy for kitten week.
the nursery curriculum- I thought that was a little over-the-top as well. I haven't looked at it closely, but I'd be willing to bet that it's just a really structured way of doing the things a caring attached mommy would do with her baby anyway without a curriculum. So maybe she just likes to have everything written out, ya know? I think it's weird, but it could really appeal to some people I guess.

elonwy- My 2 1/2 year old can't even say "do 'cool" yet, and we're gonna try it! Actually part of the reason I like this one is that there isn't much verbal skill involved. Another reason I'm going to HS- with me, dd can show me what she's learned even if she can't express it verbally. In a preschool, if she couldn't say it, they'd think she didn't know it. She knew her alphabet by site at 18 months, which I discovered by watching her play a Leap Frog matching game. No teacher would ever guess this about her just from observation. So anyway, there are a few things in there that say "discuss this or that" and having a "discussion" with dd is a little one-sided, but I'll just give her the opportunity and maybe she'll rise to the occasion. She can say more than she tries to I think.
Today, walking in the rain:
Her: "I see water, water, water. I see water."
Me: "Yes, the water is coming from the sky. Thats called rain. Can you say 'rain'?"
Her (angrily): "Yes, I say rain! Yes I say rain! Rain, rain! Yes, I say rain!"

Another question-
How long do you think one should spend looking before deciding on a curriculum? I really like Letter of the Week and BFIAR, but I feel like I haven't done much research, haven't ordered any catalogues, etc.?

One more comment- I appreciate that everyone on here is so open to me wanting a Christian-based curriculum, and that there are so many doing the same. It's very comforting to see people being open to my religious choice and not thinking that all Christians are anti-breastfeeding spankers (though too many are).
#81 of 178 Old 06-26-2006, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAID
Another question-
How long do you think one should spend looking before deciding on a curriculum? I really like Letter of the Week and BFIAR, but I feel like I haven't done much research, haven't ordered any catalogues, etc.?
To me that's one of the great things about homeschooling, you can take your time. Choose something now that appeals to you now but don't stop looking, you can always add pieces of others things that you find or if what you're doing isn't working out you can try something new. For me I like to spend time talking to other homeschooling moms online and seeing what they're doing and what they think, to me I can get a better feel for things that way rather than reading through catalogues and such.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#82 of 178 Old 06-26-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
oh and I just have to share this too, I have just discovered this GREAT magazine
http://www.livefreelearnfree.com
(I can't get the page to come up right now, but this is the correct link)
Sorry - we were switching hosting providers over the weekend. It should be up now, but I've had reports that it's still spotty.

(If you can't get it to come up, please PM me and let me know. This is driving me bonkers!)
#83 of 178 Old 06-26-2006, 12:57 PM

Oh thanks for lmk, I was wondering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkypoet
Sorry - we were switching hosting providers over the weekend. It should be up now, but I've had reports that it's still spotty.

(If you can't get it to come up, please PM me and let me know. This is driving me bonkers!)

#84 of 178 Old 06-26-2006, 01:15 PM

btw I wanted to share this link too
http://www.preschoolexpress.com/theme_station.shtml

I think am going to start using this page loosely and do our own "themes" and I will just follow his lead with it...

I just really need some kind of organization for our activities/projects! so, I figured having themes would help with that maybe? I also have started putting everything we will use in a bin for the week. it seems to help me. I always have lots of great ideas then forget or something else comes up so when I get an idea now, I can go gather everything and stick the stuff in there,etc. this helps me alot!

I really want to try LOTW but I don't think DS is really quite ready for it. though I am loving those booklists!

btw does anyone have any suggestions about starting to teach DS spanish? we live on the border of mexico and I really want him to know spanish. I speak some (took it in HS back east, but the dialect where I live now is totally different than what I learned) I really don't consider myself bilingual. I am looking to enroll in a class for myself but do you have any other suggestions for my 2yo? (games,etc) or should I just repeat the english then spanish word (this is what I do now) though sometimes I just will speak spanish. and when we are out I will use spanish (most people use both around here-sort of border slang) but I would like him to learn proper spanish,yk? I was thinking of letting him watch his favorite dvd's in spanish and read books in spanish, but looking for other ideas too.

#85 of 178 Old 06-26-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:

btw does anyone have any suggestions about starting to teach DS spanish? we live on the border of mexico and I really want him to know spanish. I speak some (took it in HS back east, but the dialect where I live now is totally different than what I learned) I really don't consider myself bilingual. I am looking to enroll in a class for myself but do you have any other suggestions for my 2yo? (games,etc) or should I just repeat the english then spanish word (this is what I do now) though sometimes I just will speak spanish. and when we are out I will use spanish (most people use both around here-sort of border slang) but I would like him to learn proper spanish,yk? I was thinking of letting him watch his favorite dvd's in spanish and read books in spanish, but looking for other ideas too.
We live in Dallas and there are several Spanish immersion preschools here that offer classes for parents and children. In fact, there's one right down the street from us. If my DS weren't already learning French and Farsi I would sign up for classes!
#86 of 178 Old 06-26-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:

btw does anyone have any suggestions about starting to teach DS spanish?
Muzzy is fun to watch. Their a bit pricy to buy, but check out your library, or even ebay. My dd loves it. I've also heard good things about Jumpstart spanish, although I haven't tried it myself.
#87 of 178 Old 06-26-2006, 03:28 PM

There is a recent thread that I put some Spanish links on:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=473195

The first link is my favorite. I like it for the English and French
#88 of 178 Old 06-26-2006, 04:56 PM

Sorting items is a good suggestion for us. I KNEW I was saving those egg cartons for a reason.

This weekend I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and picked up a few things:

--A small spouted plastic measuring cup, for pouring practice
--A strawberry huller, for use in picking up/transferring stuff (toast tongs would have been better, but I couldn't find any)
--A bag of those little glass "flat marbles" that people use in flower arrangements, for counting and sorting
--A turkey baster, for water transfer and squirty fun

I'm going to recommend a book we have and like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188...lance&n=283155

I think most of these are better for 3-4 and up, but some can be adapted for smaller kids.

What workbooks do people like for the littlest ones? Anything at all religious is a "no" for us, though.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#89 of 178 Old 06-26-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisavasmom
Muzzy is fun to watch. Their a bit pricy to buy, but check out your library, or even ebay. My dd loves it. I've also heard good things about Jumpstart spanish, although I haven't tried it myself.
thanks for the tip I will see if our library has them or can get them (wow I can't beleive they are really $200 per set! )

#90 of 178 Old 06-26-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresajo
There is a recent thread that I put some Spanish links on:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=473195

The first link is my favorite. I like it for the English and French
thanks, these are great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page