Homeschooling Preschool Aged Children Support Thread, June 06 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 178 Old 06-28-2006, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering about scribbling this afternoon. My DD has always held her crayons/markers/pens in her fist and made jagged lines across the paper.

Today, she held her marker less tightly and started making big swoopy circles.

I watched here and wondered if this was another one of those develpmental steps forward that kids make everyday.

She was so excited to be drawing, "Balls! Balls!"

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#122 of 178 Old 06-29-2006, 01:10 AM

I don't know, my dd draws quite well I think, my friend seems to think she does to. But she still uses a fist grip and is resistant to being shown the 'correct' way.
#123 of 178 Old 06-29-2006, 07:48 AM

My dd has just started trying to draw and write instead on just scribbling. She's getting frustrated that she can't draw a perfect circle (really now who can?) She has a fit and I try to tell her, it looks beautiful, did a great job etc... but she just screams no, no, no it's broken and cries. Any advice on how to deal with this? She's getting so upset she can't write the number one, always looks like a J
#124 of 178 Old 06-29-2006, 04:34 PM

I haven't been paying too much attention, but I think DD does have her own "pencil hold" when she draws with colored pencils. We also use the Crayola Twistables crayons, which I highly recommend. They are long like pencils and the crayon part is encased in plastic, so you have to turn the bottom of it to crank up more crayon. I bought them because my DS kept finding the crayons and chewing on them when he was teething, and the washable ones left stains in his mouth. Not to mention that they don't break.
Anyway, I will take a look at how she is holding the crayons. Her scribbling style is mostly long vertical lines or coloring something- like if I write something on her paper, she'll color it in by scribbling darkly over it (she doesn't stay in the lines, but is in the general vacinity). I saw in one sample curriculum a pre-writing exercise where the parent drew short vertical lines spaced several inches apart on paper, and then the child was supposed to try to trace them. I did this once, and she did attempt to trace them, but she'd only get about an inch down in my 3" line before slantly off to the right and drawing a very straight diagonal line.
#125 of 178 Old 06-29-2006, 04:43 PM

I belong here.

I have a 4 year old son and a 9 month old daughter. DS was in a Quaker preschool so that I could birth and bond with the new baby. He loved it, but it has always been our intention to homeschool, so he will home with us for now on.

I vascillate between unschooling and using a loose curriculum like Enki/ No decisions yet, but I'm leaning toward some structure. We are also very fortunate to have a homeschooling cooperative nearby called Open Connections AND there are alot of homeschooling types in the little town I live in, so we are forming a cooperative between us as well.

What have we been doing lately? Eli is at a nature camp in the mornings, and in the afternoons we read alot, do drawing/art related stuff, play with tinker toys (spelling with them is fun) and sing songs. Right now, Grandma has them out for a spin around town while I work on my dissertation (although I'm on Mothering...sigh We read mostly...especially since the rain has been so atrocious here for the last week or so.

Marie
#126 of 178 Old 06-29-2006, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi, Marie. We're neighbors (I'm in Yeadon). I have a soon to be 5 yo and am keeping Open Connections in mind for the future. We just got back from a parkday with the Eastern Mongomery Inclusive Homeschoolers. I'm dismayed that the Delco yahoo group doesn't do parkdays as it was a bit of a haul to the top of the blue route. Let me know if you hear of any homeschoolers getting together in the Delaware County area or want to meet at a playground (Smedley Park just off Baltimore Pike in Springfield has shade!).

Scribbling: I read a book a while back about child development and art. It was interesting that there are specific styles of scribbling that are universal to children of all cultures. Different children have different preferences. I remember when ds used to draw spirals. It is average for 3 yos to draw faces and 4 yos to start drawing bodies as well. Other than faces, most children don't begin to draw representationally until they are between 4 and 5. My ds seems to be average in this respect but I have seen younger kids draw fabulously detailed pictures.

Reading this book drove home how inappropriate many of the things that are expected of pre-k and k children are. My ds is only willing to attempt the first letter of his name, T. He had a brief pre-k experience that effected him negatively (too much pushing to write and being given drawing assignments, amongst other things). So I just let him do whatever he wants and figure that he is developing dexterity and handstrength from glueing toothpicks together. I'm confident that he will learn to write in a flash when he becomes interested in it.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#127 of 178 Old 06-29-2006, 06:03 PM

My dd has no interest in writing anything! She's never been a crafty kid- painting, coloring, anything like that holds her attention for less time than it takes to set it all up. Anytime I've asked her to "sign" her name to a card or something, she makes a couple of lines down the fold of the card and then goes back to whatever she was doing before. She will, however make shapes out of things- like she was making a face out of pieces of dog food last night. She also has minimal interest in learning letters- though she loves singing the alphabet song to the new sibling-to-be
#128 of 178 Old 07-04-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminer
What kinds of supplies do you recommend for preschoolers? I am especially interested in...- paint for Grace. The kids' poster and watercolor paint we bought from the drugstore seemed kind of frustrating, because it was so low quality. I'm pretty clueless, though: Are there paints (or brands) that are easy for kids to use, yet not so much like dust in water?
I currently use Palmer washable poster paints - they come in bottles. I make sure to buy the bottles where the color has not settled and separated, and keep them well shaken. I also use Crayola washable finger paints - they also come in big squeeze bottles. My newest paint discovery is real watercolors, that come in tubes ! I thought I hated watercolors because I could never get them to be intense. I didn't realize that good artists' watercolors come in tubes, and can be very intense ! I bought a set of 12 little tubes for about $6 at a Michael's. We just used them for the first time and they are fabulous ... Now I need better brushes !

Linda B.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#129 of 178 Old 07-04-2006, 10:17 PM

brushes- I'm thinking about buying some from a montessori catalogue. I think it's www.forsmallhands.com
They have wooden handles, and are just under a dollar each. And in their classroom supply catalogue, there's a 12 pk for $5
#130 of 178 Old 07-05-2006, 01:12 AM

Thanks so much for the art supply suggestions, everyone! (And feel free to keep them coming! ) I just put in a tempera paint order at discountschoolsupply.com . I am also accumulating ideas for variations (e.g. tube watercolors -- those were my first birthday present for my now-dh, btw), which should please dd.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#131 of 178 Old 07-05-2006, 01:01 PM

I swear, I'm going to sit down and place an order for the "good stuff" for artwork this weekend but today I gave DD the Crayola box of 96 colors.

I thought she was going to pass out. She colored so much and so hard that she fell asleep for a morning nap.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#132 of 178 Old 07-06-2006, 06:11 AM

Good Discovery! ......if you go with the good stuff instead of the items marketed to the kiddos you will probably get a better product without even that much difference in price.
#133 of 178 Old 07-06-2006, 06:22 AM

Good Discovery! ......if you go with the good stuff instead of the items marketed to the kiddos you will probably get a better product without even that much difference in price.
#134 of 178 Old 07-06-2006, 11:30 AM

what is everyone up to this week? so far we have:

-watched the space shuttle launch. DS was intrigued..so much so
we had to watch it replayed again a second time.lol.
-learned about frogs a bit (DS caught his first one yesterday )
-felt board stories-DS has just really discovered these and LOVES Them!
-file folder games
-painting,painting, painting
-peanut butter playdough
-counting-everything is about counting with him these days!

if it ever stops raining here today we may plant sunflowers later then make sunflowers out of paper plates and eat sunflower seeds.

I too placed an order for the powder tempera paints through www.discountschoolsupply.com I am hoping it arrives today as we are running low. I ordered a pack of brushes too so I'll let you know how they are (They were CHEAP! like under $2 for a set of wooden brushes!)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#135 of 178 Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 PM

Must have been all this talk of art supplies that put me in the mood: Today after work we went to the Children's Museum of the Arts (http://www.cmany.org). We had lots of fun, but especially Eve (15 mo). She was really, really into painting...and really, really into washing up in the sink...and everyone was really into Flubber. It's funny to watch how Grace is more thoughtful about painting, noticing how it looks when she paints one color over another, carefully adding pupils within irises within eyes -- while Eve is more sensuous, dipping in for more and more paint, taking brush after brush ("other! other!"), sometimes one in each hand, sometimes rubbing and smearing with her fingers. I must say it was much nicer this time, with two parents, than last time we went -- when I dragged Grace and months-old Eve through the snow by myself to meet homeschoolers group people and got lost and ended up really late.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#136 of 178 Old 07-06-2006, 11:50 PM

Greetings Mamas Just found this forum subscribing for now. Homeschoolimg / unschooling three year old dd.
#137 of 178 Old 07-07-2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
what is everyone up to this week?
We learned all about astronauts, then didn't get to watch the launch. But he's been applying that knowledge everywhere else instead, as in the fireworks go up list the astronauts do and he can ride them to the stars.

Read some jungle themed books, made a jungle themed card for my mom's birthday.

Lots of coloring, PBS, and looking at letters on the computer. Yay Starfalls!

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#138 of 178 Old 07-07-2006, 09:30 AM

not doing too much this week. She's been painting, coloring more and starting to write. She wrote a U and got all excited. I got a new pc preschool program with arthur and she loved it, especially the part where you had to sort out the bugs.
#139 of 178 Old 07-07-2006, 09:37 AM

Eli is in camp in the mornings here.. He comes home excited. He rides horses, learns about all kinds of animals (and gets to hold and pet them, learns about their habits and lives, etc.) Every day they do a craft pertaining to the animal-of-the-day. Yesterday was the hermit crab.

This week has been a blur of entertaining (in-laws, my mother) so not alot of focused learning has been taking place, but we have managed to read a few books, do some cooking together, see the fireworks and today we are going here. I bought a membership on Tuesday when we went with the in-laws, so it will become a major destination in this house.

The one big learning experience of the week has been finding an old-fashioned tape recorder. Eli LOVES it. He is singing into it, talking, telling stories and THRILLED to hear his own voice repeated back. You should've seen the look on his face when he figured it out for the first time.

I too have been inspired by the discount art supply link. THANKS. I haven't ordered yet, but will in the near future.

Marie
#140 of 178 Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 AM

We learned and read books about cows last week and they now like to randombly tell people the facts about cows. We colored pictures of cows and worked on the letter A. This week we're slowly moving to a jungle theme (though the books won't be ready for me at the library until next week.) Although I throw in a bit of unschooling--or child directed-- too because yesterday DS 1 wanted to talk about trains and color pictures of trains so we did that and then I had him write his name on the pictures and it is getting to where the name is legible enough for anyone to read it though the lower case h still looks a little like a pitchfork. Today it is raining so I went to Big Lots and bought two huge bag fulls of craft supplies (for under 20 dollars!) and we're going to color pictures of jungle animals and then glue construction paper grass on them to "hide" them and then probably do some painting and maybe some dot to dots. I also try to read to them during our learning craft sessions and since we can't go outside we'll probably watch Leap Frog Letter and Word Factory this afternoon to keep working on phonics.

#141 of 178 Old 07-07-2006, 11:18 AM

our paint came yesterday! I had ordered the set of 10- 1lb (each color) tempera powder (which will make 1/2 gallon of each color) it was $21 I think anyway I think we are set for quite awhile now! btw I found this link recently and thought some of you would enjoy it here! www.kinderart.com

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#142 of 178 Old 07-08-2006, 12:47 AM

so I have more questions for you wise preschooler mamas (since the last one worked out so delightfully ) -- what are your favorite read-aloud books? And why?

I have two favorites:
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and
In the Night Kitchen.

I believe that Grace kind of agrees with me on #1, but doesn't really get why I'm so into #2. She likes In the Night Kitchen, whereas I get flooded with warm feelings every time I look at it. We haven't read Alice lately, yet out of the blue...

ME: (yawn) Wow, I'm sleepy.
GRACE: Why?
ME: I don't know, I guess because it's so hot.
GRACE: You mean just like Alice!
ME: Huh?
GRACE: The way Alice felt sleepy because it was hot.

Our best library books from last Monday were Kate and the Beanstalk (Mary Pope Osborne), Lillie's Purple Plastic Purse (Kevin Henkes), and Arthur's Glasses (Marc Brown). I like to come up with a few to suggest to Grace. I'm running out of the library Summer Reading book list, so I need recommendations!

Oye Yemaya oloto
#143 of 178 Old 07-08-2006, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauracd
Today it is raining so I went to Big Lots and bought two huge bag fulls of craft supplies (for under 20 dollars!)
I miss Big Lots so much!!! Our local one closed last year so now I have to drive an hour to find one. We're loosely following LOTW as well, we're mixing it up some and doing trains next week because ds has been obsessed lately.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#144 of 178 Old 07-08-2006, 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=rainbowmoon]what is everyone up to this week?

We have been reading a lot lately. My 3 yo finished his 40 books for the summer reading program at the library, so he got his goodie bag!

I found caterpillars eating my parsley and discovered they are eastern black swallowtail butterfly caterpillars, so we made a lovely home for 2 of them safe inside, and have been caring for them this week. We got books about caring and feeding them, and have taken pix every day of the growth. I think one is very close to chrysalis time! Yay! It has been very fun. I cannot wait to see a butterfly emerge and have my 3 year old release it outside!

We got several audio books on cd. Leo the Lightening Bug and Ellison the Elephant are the favorites this week.

My boys help with the garden (we grew from seed lots of herbs and veggies) and they water, help prune, pluck and pick. We check plants every morning, and my oldest can identify most of them now. We also planted a sunflower house (from S. Lovejoy's book), and it is taller than the boys now, but no actual blooms yet!!!!

We joined the Organic Valley kids club online (not sure of the name). They sent some cute worksheet types of things and activity ideas, so we have done those.

Other than that, lots of coloring, play doh, sidewalk chalk, bicycle riding, sprinkler fun, sticker workbooks (butterflies), train table playing, etc.

I discovered this week that many moms in my neighborhood (and on my block) have been forming playgroups based upon what 'class' kids will be in when they get to kindergarden...so the parents and kids will get to know each other several years before the kids are in school together. So, we are of course not included in that. My son realized the kids had a playgroup, as about 10 kids live within 2 houses of us and we know everyone quite well, so he was disappointed to know that he was excluded. Makes me realize we should find some local HS families for our own playgroups. My son already talks about the kids who all go off to daycare and preschool, so...he is old enough to realize everything around him, so we should start our own community as well!

Denise

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
#145 of 178 Old 07-08-2006, 07:30 PM

My dd's favorite books right now are anything Berenstain Bears, or Dr. Seuss. Eric Carle has written a bunch of great books that lend well to story extentions, too. Have fun at the Library.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#146 of 178 Old 07-08-2006, 08:55 PM

I added some of the Mothering mag's recommended books from the current issue to my next Amazon order. DD was all amazed that bear cubs were nursing in her nature mag last month. I cannot wait to see her face with BOOKS full of babies nursing.

#147 of 178 Old 07-09-2006, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch_dc
I discovered this week that many moms in my neighborhood (and on my block) have been forming playgroups based upon what 'class' kids will be in when they get to kindergarden...so the parents and kids will get to know each other several years before the kids are in school together. So, we are of course not included in that. My son realized the kids had a playgroup, as about 10 kids live within 2 houses of us and we know everyone quite well, so he was disappointed to know that he was excluded. Makes me realize we should find some local HS families for our own playgroups. My son already talks about the kids who all go off to daycare and preschool, so...he is old enough to realize everything around him, so we should start our own community as well!

Denise
That sucks! I hate it when people get exclusive with young kids. It's not like they won't see each other in the afternoons, weekends and summers over the years. But it is a good idea to find some other homeschoolers. You'll probably be able to find some yahoo groups of hsers based in your area with a little internet searching.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#148 of 178 Old 07-09-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch_dc
That's totally bizarre; they're already trying to section the children off by age?! Wow, I'd be really vocal in my opposition to such an attempt...

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#149 of 178 Old 07-09-2006, 03:19 PM

Some of my book recommendations that are current favorites with my DCs...

Something for Nothing by Phoebe Gilman

Beatrix Potter Books (Peter Rabbit is Rhys' favorite...I got the first 12 books at Bookcloseouts.com for $25 (warning there is only 1 left LOL) and we are mostly enjoying them though I do find myself "editing" the spankings and such.

Curious George Books

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#150 of 178 Old 07-09-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell
Some of my book recommendations that are current favorites with my DCs...

Something for Nothing by Phoebe Gilman

Beatrix Potter Books (Peter Rabbit is Rhys' favorite...I got the first 12 books at Bookcloseouts.com for $25 (warning there is only 1 left LOL) and we are mostly enjoying them though I do find myself "editing" the spankings and such.

Curious George Books

Steph
Another editor for Beatrix Potter!!

I had forgotten how "mean" the books actually are. The pictures are so gentle and then the story will say something like, "Then Father Rabbit became Farmer's stew the next day."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page