Homeschooling Preschool Aged Children Support Thread, June 06 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The old thread has been revived! I thought it might be nice to start fresh. Anyone want to post a quick intro while I go nurse my baby?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 11:53 AM

I would like to join this time! Can someone tell me how to sub to this thread?

My name is Brit and I have been homeschooling my 3 3/4yr daughter since January. I am going to be starting homeschooling my 6 yr son as soon as he is ready (just finished public kindergarten last week) Not sure what all you want to know. I was using a curriculum with dd until I learned through research of better options for our family. Now I am strongly leaning towards unschooling or unit studies for our family. I am really interested in learning everything that I can about homeschooling...things that have worked, didn't work, that you wanted to do more of, that once was enough, etc.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:59 AM

Thanks for starting the new thread- Eilonwy!

I'm Laura, Momma to Mya who is 3.75- will turn 4 in July. I guess we've been homeschooling her whole life. I guess our style is ecclectic- we pull from unschooling, unit studies, montissori and whatever sounds good that day. Right now we are doing some of the Five in A Row program. For us though, it works out to be about 3 in a row, but it works for us. I had gotten Peak with books, and though we've done some of it, I really like the Five in a Row program better. (for all of you wondering)

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 06-20-2006, 07:11 PM

hello My name is Ann and I have 2 DDs (3y4m and 17m). We were planning on private preschool and public after that until about a month ago. Once we opened our minds to the idea of homeschooling it just felt right. Leah was going to start preschool this fall, but I am about 95% sure we aren't going to do it. We are filling our days with the usual kid stuff and watching the light bulbs go off is amazing. We will probably use some curricula in the future, but for now we are just doing little bits of different things. They both love the Talking Letter Factory and Talking Words Factory videos. Leah is fascinated with numbers and volcanoes right now. It was such a great feeling to come home from the library last night (by myself) with a book about volcanoes and she lit up like it was Christmas. We had to read it twice before she could go to bed. I am trying to figure out how I can expand on that, because she is SO excited. She also wants to count. She gets to 29 and then says twenty-ten... Reasonable thought, but not quite

Thanks for starting a new thread. I read through the WHOLE other thread yesterday, whew :
Old 06-20-2006, 07:27 PM

Hi! My name is Teresa and my son Daniel will be 2 years old next month. I recently started to research the homeschooling world. The more I delve into it the more excited I get. I am a planner and organizer, so I wanted to start early with becoming familiar with all the available resources so I can have ample time to evaluate and decide.

I too have been teaching him from birth. We do sign language and I have been exposing him to French in the car. I've also done a lot with word cards and number cards although we have taken a break from them for now. At his age we of course are working on basic skills and concepts. No rocket science here...yet!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:11 PM

I guess mine is too young to even count as preschool, but what the heck, this is the closest thing to a thread for me. I have a 15-month-old whom I'm planning to homeschool as soon as he's old enough to be interested in doing anything "schooly." And a big "ditto" to the person on the original thread who claimed their toddler was swtiched at birth with the child of Cirque du Soleil acrobats. Our little monkey is mostly interested in climbing and taking things apart at the moment, but I'm eagerly looking forward to the day when we can do more educational things with him.

I don't want to be tied to any particular philosophy before we're doing it for real, but I like some aspects of WTM and some aspects of unschooling, and we will almost certainly have a relatively unstructured, eclectic "curriculum" instead of buying something prepackaged. Considering that we have about 4,000 books in the basement ranging from textbooks to picture books to scholarly nonfiction to SF/fantasy, I think we can do without any extra purchase.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:30 PM

Ooooo... sign me up for this thread!

I have a 2 year, 1 month old DD and an 11 month old DS.

I too figured that we'd be doing private schools but after delving into HSing, I cannot think of doing anything else!

I use ASL with my children a lot. I'd like it to be their first "second language" and we're also trying to learn some Muzzy German. I also have use a mailorder "curriculum" for preschoolers when I feel like it.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:31 PM

Forgot to sub! :

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:48 PM

I guess I belong to this! DS probably would have gone to preschool if we could afford it. We can't, so I've been working with him at home. What we do is very informal, I wouldn't even call it "school" really, but I do have some counting and sorting sets for him (the Mini Motors and Three Bear Family sets) and he plays with those all the time. We read before bed every night, and generally just hang out and have fun!

My next phase will be to get a letter set and work with him on letters. He knows a lot of letters already, so it's clear that this is a good time to work with him a little more.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:28 PM

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 06-20-2006, 10:58 PM

I'm joining as well!

DS is only 2, but he already has his colors, shapes, and animals down so I thought we might slowly add more and more. Right now I'm looking into Enki and Waldorf styled curriculums, though we're not actively using any sort of curriculum.

This fall his cousin who is the same age will be starting a pre-school that's ran by a local church, whcihc DH and I do not want him attending. So I'm hoping I can show the inlaws that he won't be deprived of an education because we're not sending him there. And hopefully I can show DH that I can homeschool him and be just fine.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
Old 06-20-2006, 11:10 PM

My daughters are 4 and 2.5yo. I'm homeschooling them now and in the years to come.
Toady we did Pool School...in other words we spent a lot of time swimming!! My older one just learned how to jump in and go down the water slide. My younger one is just learning to swim...taking her first independent strokes! I do seriously value these lessons.

I think I'm a bit of an unschooler...and I like unit studies too, I think.
I like to follow their lead and then expand and offer various activities and resources around that area of interest.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:48 PM

I suppose, you could say that we're homeschooling/unschooling preschool. I have 3 yr old twins & as with most kids, I couldn't keep them from learning if I tried, they're constantly asking about new things & wanting to know how things work or why we do thing, etc. etc. etc. We're not doing anything "formal" but then, we plan to unschool, so in alot of ways we're doing as much "school" now as I figure we'll be doing when we they're "school age" main difference being I'll have to record things such that the yearly evaluator will think we're doing school

Current interests include, dinosaurs (though that seems to be lessening for now), free-art (coloring, drawing, cutting, gluing, stickers . . .), and LOTS of imaginary play, generally either both are mommies taking their babies on various adventures, or visiting each other for "playdates" or one is mommy & the other is baby . . .
Old 06-21-2006, 12:07 AM

Hello! I'm Genie, I have a 4yo ds and a 20 month old ds. My 4yo ust finished pre-k 3 last week, that experience cemented even more in my mind my determination to homeschool. For the pp who said she was 95% sure she wasn't going to send her dd to preschool, don't send her! Don't don't don't!

Anyways, I'm not really sure how we're going to go. I like the idea of unschooling but will probably have some more structured stuff too. Right now we do enough learningjust answering my ds' questions!

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

Old 06-21-2006, 12:08 AM

My kids are 4.75, and 15 months (so pookel; I'm right there with you in perpetual motion machine land ). Grace is now at the age where people are assuming that she'll go to kindergarten in the fall, and looking puzzled when they find out otherwise. It's funny, therefore, that I feel soooooo much more confident in my decision now than I did when I decided not to send her to preschool, at 3yo. I remember that my first post to the Continuum list, while Grace was in utero, concerned my feeling that literate culture was not a part of "natural" human social development and therefore needed to be learned formally. I have gradually changed my mind completely and am now a committed unschooler.

Because I'm not only very relaxed about our homeschooling status but also in the middle of a career change, I haven't been thinking as much about how dd is learning lately. I do notice her seeming much more mature all of a sudden. Dh and dd have been working on our seedlings -- we have the makings of a quarter-acre garden on the windowsills of our 1BR apartment . Also dh got a highschool-type microscope and shares with dd. We go to the library once a week. (Her narrative comprehension is one of the aspects of her I've noticed maturing.) We go to the park often. (And I'm excited to notice that dd now has full-blown conversations with other kids and plays organized games, like tag.) Dd helps around the house, esp. with food, and starts many deep discussions. My personal favorite thing is that lately she has started to wake up to music. She used to say that she hated music, and she seemed to have absolutely no ear at all. (That's not really criticism, because I mean it literally. Simply NO awareness of music.) The other day I put on Yo Yo Ma playing Bach's cello suites and dd started doing this expressive dance and said it was river music. The next day, she wanted to sing together, and I could hear some scale emerging. She is very much a light-switch developer. It's amazing.

Enough detail!!! Sorry.

Oye Yemaya oloto
Old 06-21-2006, 12:11 AM

mostly : here. DS is only 2 right now so we aren't doing anything formal.. But he sure is a little sponge and eager to learn new things each day. He is learning his letters and can count to 10, and also signs a bit (I am so lax with this though latley!) right now he is big into arts and crafts which is fun. he likes the Kumon books too. otherwise we are starting a little garden all his own and plan to grow ladybugs (from a kit). I am looking for other ideas for a young(er) toddler/ preschooler so I will be following this thread.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:19 AM

Hi! I guess we belong here too! I have a dd, almost 4 and ds, 21 months. I can see us becoming a little more structured as time goes by, but right now, we are definitely unschoolers! Dd is creative and imaginative and I want to give her room to explore. We will be getting a homeschool membership at the scinence centre, which both kids LOVE, and we'll go there a lot and participate in the workshops. We'll also spend a lot of time at the library, (structured story hour and unstructured book-finding and re-arraning the stuffed animals-ing). I'd really like to find a similar family to do things with, because both Dc really need to be with people. I'm really excited about this!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:24 AM

Here are some of our favourite "unschool" activities

Baking
planting, watering, weeding, eating garden
going for walks in the bush
organizing toys (dd's fave)
going for walks downtown
helping mummy sew
doing things for others
any interaction with other people is a huge education!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:27 AM

Yay!

I am Denise, mom to Aidan, 3, and Gavin, 18 mo. We are homeschoolers, even if we are not of 'official age' yet. We read, play, and read and play. I have wanted to homeschool for many years (before I knew I would even have children) and am excited. I have been reading and researching for years - and I know my spirited little people will definitely benefit.

Now I just feel like I want to find my tribe, so to speak. All of my sons 'friends' from the neighborhood are going off to preschool...I want to feel like I am a part of the homeschooling world online here, and also find families in my area, so as he becomes more aware of the world right around us, he feels like he has compatriots and I feel supported too!

Thus far we do groups of things based on his interests, as he is just 3. For example, we went to a museum and he LOVED the insects exhibit, so we did a diorama craft project with insects, made an insect mask, got a few books about insects from the library, and a bug sticker book. He wants to know 'all the facts'. We go on nature hikes, he helped me grow all our veggies and herbs from seed this spring and is now helping me care for them, etc. We have lots of fun. My toddler loves being along for the ride too! We are just now getting into imaginary play (dinosaurs, insects, construction machines, farm machinery, etc.) and measuring/cooking.

I am very happy this thread is revived!!!!

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
Old 06-21-2006, 07:56 AM

I want to join! DD is 3.25 and is so full of questions that it makes me absolutely nuts somedays!! Some of them are still the very typical "why?" after everything variety, but many are very insightful-"what would happen if...." kinds of questions. I have this secret fear that maybe I'm not cut out for this because sometimes I just want a temporary off button to the questions, but then I think it might have a little to do with being pregnant as well and well, just generally irritable.

I suppose that we could be described as unschoolers at this point because we have no formal anything. We cook together, we visit farms together (LOVES,LOVES,LOVES animals), we check out books from the library on the topic of her choosing, we dig in the dirt to find bugs and worms, things like that. I asked her one day if she wanted to learn some of the letters and numbers and she looked at me and said "No" along with this look that said "WHy would I want to do that?! There's all these fun dinosaurs to play with!"
Old 06-21-2006, 09:09 AM

Oh i could so use this right now. I actually had a brief thought of sending my dd to preschool but talking about it to dh we decided not too.

I have 2 girls, 3 yrs and 20 mths old. My 3 yr old is reading and we are working on learning spanish and sign language. I actually started doing some addition stuff with her, just objects and adding them and she was so cute say "2+1 equals" but that was it, she just liked saying that part, lol. It was fun. She's also trying to do things by herslef lately, so we are working on that. She's knows how to put on her clothes but needs some help from time to time, she's all proud of herself. I even let her pour some of her own yougurt, which was a big step for her.

Now i'm digging in some of my books looking for activities to do. Just got two big boxes and gonna make a playhouse out of it and let her decorate it, so that should be fun.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:55 PM

Hi all!
I have a 3 yr old dd that is currently into butterflies, and reading. She's become pretty good at it the last few months, so each week we get some easy readers from the library that she can handle. Bob books were a good start as well. I had signed her up for traditional preschool in the fall, but cancelled it when I just made the definite decision to hs. Now I've been checking out anything I can get my hands on about the subject. I suppose we're leaning more towards unschooling, but who knows, I'm open to where she leads me.

I should also say my son (at this point) just likes to roll, smile and drool..those teeth are just about to come in!

Glad you're all here..
Old 06-21-2006, 02:40 PM

My ds is 3. We are just doing the usual baking, crafts, role playing, playing with trains, etc.

Since, most kids go to preschool I want to find a preschool homeschool support group to do fun stuff with around where we live.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:01 PM

My ds's are almost 4 and almost 2. We just kind of go with the flow so to speak. We planted a garden abt a month ago, and grew some mushrooms on the windowsill. My almost 4 year old loves reading Magic Treehouse books, and playing with trains. We swim and do gymnastics once a week, go to a playgroup once a week. We bake together a lot and do art projects. I think most of the time they just do free play which right now involves dressing up in costumes and playing with trains. I just kind of follow their lead, although I am not confident that I am doing enough. I haven't totally decided to homeschool. I am not sending ds to preschool, but I am on the fence abt K.
Michelle

Oh I forgot: we spend a lot of time travelling and camping and hiking, so ds knows all his native plants and berries. My dh teaches him that stuff

, mama to DS(7/)22/02) DS (8/14/04) , and an angel (3/10/10)nursing a broken heart...loving my boys.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:02 PM

Can I join in!

I am Becky, Mummy to Ella, almost 3 years, and Jacob, 6 months.

We are unschooling at the moment. I am happy to follow DD's lead as to what she wants to learn and what she is interested in. I am thinking about starting some unit studies in the fall when she turns 3 but I am also very keen on continuing unschooling.

At the moment DD is fascinated by trains. It started out as a Thomas the Tank Engine thing but it has developed into all trains. DH takes the train to work too.
We have - taken a train ride to the next town and back again
- riden on a steam train
- read countless Thomas books
- made trains big enough to play inside out of large cardboard boxes
- made small train models
- played trains (DH is better at this one - he can build track better!)
- sung train songs

DD can count to 20 although she always misses out 15!lol She is just starting to be interested in letters. She can recognise an E for Ella, M for Mummy, D for Daddy and T for Tigger. She can read her own name and Kipper. If we are reading a Kipper story she can show me on every page where it says Kipper!

DS is just coming along for the ride! He loved the trains too! At the moment he is working on rolling fast from one side of the room to the other and grabbing everything that comes within reach.

I love reading these threads, getting ideas and realising we are not alone in our adventures. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-21-2006, 05:11 PM

Hi :

I'm Sara, mom to RayeAnne (5) and baby lanugo is on the way, due in OCT

RayeAnne started her piano lessons today! She is so excited! They are once a week for a half hour. The teacher said Raye did several things that shocked her today, including pointing out something vague in the workbook and counting the keys up to 36 (at which point the teacher stopped her)

I'm so giddy about it Glad to see the thread is back, even though I do a lot of lurking now . . .

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

Old 06-21-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllasMummy
Can I join in!

I am Becky, Mummy to Ella, almost 3 years, and Jacob, 6 months.

We are unschooling at the moment. I am happy to follow DD's lead as to what she wants to learn and what she is interested in. I am thinking about starting some unit studies in the fall when she turns 3 but I am also very keen on continuing unschooling.

At the moment DD is fascinated by trains. It started out as a Thomas the Tank Engine thing but it has developed into all trains. DH takes the train to work too.
We have - taken a train ride to the next town and back again
- riden on a steam train
- read countless Thomas books
- made trains big enough to play inside out of large cardboard boxes
- made small train models
- played trains (DH is better at this one - he can build track better!)
- sung train songs
It sounds like you did a unit study on trains, Becky!!! "lol

Old 06-21-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_mom

Since, most kids go to preschool I want to find a preschool homeschool support group to do fun stuff with around where we live.
This is exactly what I am searching for right now. I live kind of in the middle of nowhere though, and I don't know anyone at all that homeschools, much less with preschool aged kiddos. How do you go about finding/starting a group?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
How do you go about finding/starting a group?

I found another mom of preschoolers who will be homeschooling through a yahoo homeschool forum for my state. She is in the process of starting a preschool homeschool co-op in the fall. I am very excited about it! We are looking for members to recruit now. I started with putting some announcements in my MOMS Club newsletter as well as the newsletter for our sister club.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:55 AM

Hi,
Marissa just turned two on Monday. She seems to have picked up on all her colors and wants me to count things for her. She isn't connecting quantities or order of the numbers or anything like that though. She has really gotten into recognizing letters and what sounds they make. It started with the letters on the fridge a while ago but she seems to have a renewed interest in them.
Does anyone know what's the easiest/best order to introduce the letters? When I taught preschool I remember we didn't introduce them in the same order as the alphabet although I don't remember why.
We put up a bird feeder and hummingbird feeder and have been catching fireflys at night.
We've been occasionally working on pages out of the Kumon First Steps workbooks. She loves doing her "papers" and showing them to Daddy when he gets home.
I've been thinking about getting "Little Hands to Heaven" curriculum to have for ideas although have been unsure about spending the money on it. Has anyone used it?
I love reading what everyone else is up to and getting ideas for when DD is older.

Pam

User Tag List