Mothering Forum banner

can we talk about preK and K math? anyone used Shiller?

596 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  catgirl 
#1 ·
My 4 yo seems more interested in numbers than letters/reading at this point. He is really into coins, shapes, and counting things out. I don't feel the *need* for a math curriculum for him at this point, but thinking about homeschooling and introducing concepts later on, I am considering purchasing Shiller Math, as I know they have a pre-K component. And I am a planner.
I like to have books in hand ahead of time.

I was wondering if anyone had used Shiller. I know they have a lot of manipulatives, but I really don't want anything that is a "workbook" for pre-K or K.

Would it be better to just get a bunch of manipulatives? If so, what kinds of things would you recommend? (other than stuff at home like coins and other household objects?)

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a4yo very interested in math too.
I haven't heard of Shiller...I'll look into it.

We use our fingers a lot (how many ways can you say you're 4? Then she'll hold of 2 on one hand and 2 on the other...then 3 & 1, etc.) My FIL actually lost a finger in an accident so she got the idea of subtraction too.

We use regular household manipulatives mostly...sea shells, buttons, rocks, etc.
Count, group them, etc.

I have the Singapore math workbooks for pre-k. I know you aren't looking for workbooks...but my dd loves them. It's just one piece of what we do when we explore math.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHiddenFees
I'd recommend taking a look at RightStart as well. They have a very gentle K level (A) that has some Montessori elements a la Schiller. The RightStart abacus is the single best math manipulative I have ever seen.
I've also heard great things about RightStart. I wish I'd seen it when we were starting out. We have just started their Geometry program (after 4th grade math) and really like it so far.

#7 ·
Someone (here, I believe) posted a link to a pre-Miquon program that a mother designed for her four year old. It looked like lots of fun. If nobody's found it by the time I get home, I'll link it (I saved the link at home, but I can't for the life of me remember the URL
).

BeanBean did Singapore last year and he really enjoyed it. This year we're doing Miquon, because that's what I"m planning to use with my nieces and Bean is quite flexible in his learning style at this point. I think that he'd rather be doing what his cousins are doing, and I know that BizzyBug would be distracted by Singapore, (the pages are *much* busier than they are in Miquon) rather than amused.

#8 ·
Sorry, about Shiller: I was talking to someone in the homeschool resource center about this program, and she said that what bothered her the most was having to buy several years at once. That makes it really expensive, and more irritating than usual if it doesn't quite work for your family (because you feel like you should use it until you've gone through every year). One more great thing about Miquon (and Singapore) is that they're very inexpensive.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eilonwy
Sorry, about Shiller: I was talking to someone in the homeschool resource center about this program, and she said that what bothered her the most was having to buy several years at once. That makes it really expensive, and more irritating than usual if it doesn't quite work for your family (because you feel like you should use it until you've gone through every year).
That's what bothered me about it before I got it, but I liked it so much that I went ahead anyway. It's certainly not MORE expensive per year than most other programs if you do stick with it - it's just that you haveto pay up front.

Actually I think you can buy the workbook separately, but you'd still be going for the manipulative pack, I suppose.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slightly crunchy
I was wondering if anyone had used Shiller. I know they have a lot of manipulatives, but I really don't want anything that is a "workbook" for pre-K or K.

It's not a "workbook" in that sense. It has the activities explained (and scripted, but you can ignore that if you choose) for the parent. There are a few fill-in type things but they're the exception rather than the rule and I often had ds do them orally in the first kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.