I think I'm a curriculum junkie... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2006, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is not even 3 yet (he'll be 3 in October)... and already, I see a problem forming. I want everything!! Everything looks too cool... I want all of the different math programs (Schiller, Miquon, the one with the abacus), I want all of the little art projects, I want it all. I think it's because my teachers were so crappy, that I self-schooled myself. I can't help myself when things look interesting and fun. Thank G-d, I'm broke I can't afford any of them right now.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2006, 04:42 PM

Hey, been there done that big time.

My hobby used to be reading curriculum catalogues and reviews (no internet then) and looking for the best prices. I had a monthly budget of what I would spend on my finds and frequently bought "the latest and the greatest" years ahead.

Then exy stopped paying child support, we got evicted and excommunicated from our church, 9/11 happened, and a whole bunch of other reasons and events and unrelated coincidences toppled me from my comfortable life as a "nice middle class white lady".

I remember a well-meaning burt rather horrified friend saying, "Have you ever heard of charter schools?"

Charter schools aren't my cup of tea for reasons I don't want to discuss here. Neither was putting my kids in public school.

Gradually we transitioned to library books, internet swap boards, the internet itself, and now that they're older we find excellent older high school and college level texts at thrift stores, campus book stores, Amazon's "buy it used or new for", and this year our public library's fundraiser book sale resulted in the curriculum of my dreams for a high school freshman (plus some pleasure books for my college student and myself) for $20.

In retrospect, I think my kids are getting a better education now than they did during my Curriculum Junkie days; I have less money and less ego invested in each book, so I'm more likely to shrug and move on to something else if a particular text doesn't work with a particular child. I'm less likely to fall for some cultlike "agenda" by a particular publisher, since by necessity we use many different publications by many different authors originally intended for many different audiences and written at many different periods of recent history. My kids' research skills have improved from tracking down predictions made at the end of the 20th century in their older texts to see "what happened" and why the predictions didn't come true.

Enjoy your research, but do be aware that everything will change by the time your ds is old enough to benefit from any of that stuff and don't worry about not being able to afford it; all you really need is a library card and love.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:49 PM

I've limited myself pretty well I'd say. My ds is 4 1/2 yo so we're not officially HSing yet, but yet we are

So far all I've bought are Before Five in a Row, alphabet cards w/pictures to hang on the wall and a laminated 100 chart.

But I look and look online. I peruse HS catalogs when I don't want dh to think I'm addicted to the internet.

Luckily I'm limited to using only paypal or personal checks. I don't have cc's anymore so that helps....A LOT!!!

But yeah, I see something and think that's got to be what I need. Then when I really sit back and think about it, I don't. There's so much available online or at the library. I truly don't think I'd have to spend a dime if I didn't want to. I could HS for free if I put my mind to it

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:58 PM

Gee, I wish you could have seen all the largely unused but yummy materials I've passed on to charities and to our state homeschool conference recycled resource room over the years! I even wrote an article about it after posting about it in an email list awhile back:

Reflecting on the Value of Materials and Classes.

You're right - it's good you don't have the money for them just now. - Lillian
Old 06-27-2006, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am forever fillingout imaginary order forms. totalling them up, laughing at my self and deleting them or trowing them away. even my kids get excited when cirriculum catalouges come in the mail. I think we have only ordered once or twice.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List