Question: Why homeschool preschool children? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 205 Old 08-06-2006, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauracd
Linda Dobson is no relation to Dr. James Dobson...
And she thinks very differently from him. Lillian
#182 of 205 Old 08-06-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J

And she thinks very differently from him. Lillian
Do you know, in all seriousness, I have avoided her books because I assumed (oops) that she was his wife or something? I am not a Dr. Dobson fan and I didn't want to read any Dobson homeschooling advice. I guess I have missed out; she seems to have several comprehensive books.
#183 of 205 Old 08-06-2006, 12:17 PM

I have to admit that when I saw the last name I thought "UGH ohh man!" ( not trying to offend anyone that does like the other Dobson) I am going to see if I can find on of her books today.
#184 of 205 Old 08-06-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftField
I guess I have missed out; she seems to have several comprehensive books.
Well, at least your children are still very young, so you have all the time in the world. Linda is such a sweetheart, and her books are wonderful. Most of them - all but The Art of Education (which is all her own writing) - are collections of input from homeschoolers all over the country from all sorts of backgrounds, woven beautifully together by Linda.

Here are some short pieces from her books:

Homeschooling: The Ever-Changing, Never-Ending Story
An essay from The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child

Early Years Child's Learning Assets
From her Early Years column that used to be in Home Education Magazine.

Top 10 Gems - "What I wish someone would have told me during my first year of homeschooling."

Here's an old interview Helen Hegener did with her for Home Education Magazine:
Interview with Linda Dobson

Lillian
#185 of 205 Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 PM

2 books that I like are The Homeschooling Handbook and The Unschooling Handbook both by Mary Griffith
#186 of 205 Old 08-07-2006, 08:03 PM

Oooh, I missed the fun. Well, I'd say we're homeschooling now but its unschooling. That's how preschool should be in my opinion, playing playing playing... he's even picked up a few letters and numbers somehow. I guess its the letter magnets on the fridge. But mostly I call it homeschool preschool because its in our minds and hearts already, and because when people start asking me about preschool I'll just say we're already doing it.

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#187 of 205 Old 08-07-2006, 09:52 PM

Isn't it annoying when EVERYONE asks you when he your little one going to preschool...UGH!
I don't think "learning" at this age is all that important. We are learning more social skills and the concept of just being nice!
#188 of 205 Old 08-08-2006, 01:27 AM

It is pretty funny now that the school year is starting and we are "officially" not doing preschool.

I get a lot of: : and and
and even

#189 of 205 Old 08-08-2006, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
some of us do homeschool preschool because we are homeschooling our older children and the younger one wants to get involved. My 3 yr old can count by 10s to a hundred and spell, write, and type her first name. I didnt actually do any of that, she just picked it up. And now she's getting curious about this school thing I do with Grace every morning. Probably not a genius, just a curious sibling

I did not formally start teaching Grace until she taught herself to read at 4. I would imagine I will do the same with Lily, but she may learn a little earlier.
#190 of 205 Old 08-08-2006, 07:38 PM

My 2.5 year old son always calls green purple. And we were at the store today and he called something green purple and this lady turns to me and was all "don't worry once he goes to preschool he will figure out his colors." I smiled and said ohh I'm not worried about it or him going to school. And she told me that I was RUINING him and he would never get into Harvard homeschooling!
#191 of 205 Old 08-08-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBayGrayMad
I smiled and said ohh I'm not worried about it or him going to school. And she told me that I was RUINING him and he would never get into Harvard homeschooling!
The nerve of that wench!

And, as someone who went to Harvard and met quite a few ex-homeschoolers -- she's 100% wrong!
#192 of 205 Old 08-08-2006, 08:03 PM

I think she almost died when I told her that my child going to Harvard wasn't my goal in life.....
#193 of 205 Old 08-08-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Isn't it annoying when EVERYONE asks you when he your little one going to preschool...UGH!
I don't think "learning" at this age is all that important. We are learning more social skills and the concept of just being nice!
I just tell em we do "preschool" at home. IMO...this is just parenting. We did learn letters, numbers etc...but mostly in everyday settings, more liek unschooling.

Although my oldest loved preschool worksheets....in the same way other kids love coloring We did it because he liked it and liked the special time with mommy

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#194 of 205 Old 08-08-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
And she told me that I was RUINING him and he would never get into Harvard homeschooling!
The nerve ! Anyway, just for the record, here's an article for you for future reference. It's called, interestingly enough, Homeschoolers Are at Home at Harvard, by Nara K. Nahm, Published 1989 in the Harvard Crimson.

I know you're not worried about any of this, but here's a whole page of good articles that touch on college and other concerns - just in case you ever find yourself in the position again of dealing with rude remarks from strangers:
Teen Years, Homeschooling High School, College & Career Information

Lillian
#195 of 205 Old 08-08-2006, 10:51 PM

Thanks!
#196 of 205 Old 08-09-2006, 01:47 PM

posted to the OP:

I use "homeschool" "unschool preschool" "not in school" and "totally not ready for preschool" to describe what we do, depending on the audience.
Truth is we don't do any schooling at all, just parenting, and we are commited to homeschooling later on (method undetermined).

http://www.universalpreschool.com/ar...l_pressure.asp

I think this article explains it well:
" I've learned that today's young parents are under so much
pressure to not only send their kids to preschool at age 3, but to
start preparing them ("readiness") even earlier than 3 that they
feel they must call themselves homeschoolers so people won't think
their little ones aren't being educated."

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#197 of 205 Old 08-09-2006, 01:57 PM

My cousin who is a kindergarten teacher told me that she gets upset when her students don't know their upper case and lower case letters before starting kindergarten.....
I don't know about anyone else but I didn't learn to read until first grade. I only started letters in kindergarten!!! Now even before starting school kids are supposed to know them?
With my son(s) we are not starting any "formal" education until the toddler years are over. You only get to be 2 once and why not live it up?
#198 of 205 Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
My cousin who is a kindergarten teacher told me that she gets upset when her students don't know their upper case and lower case letters before starting kindergarten.....
I don't know about anyone else but I didn't learn to read until first grade. I only started letters in kindergarten!!! Now even before starting school kids are supposed to know them?
With my son(s) we are not starting any "formal" education until the toddler years are over. You only get to be 2 once and why not live it up?
My friend's little boy had a similiar experience with kindergarten. It's the wierdest thing, the teacher gave them journal work which sounds like it would be fun except that they were expected to write in their journals. This little boy is a bit of a perfectionist and he was totally heartbroken that he couldn't properly write. It seems that the teacher expected that the children were entering kindergarten already knowing how to read and write.
#199 of 205 Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
It seems that the teacher expected that the children were entering kindergarten already knowing how to read and write.
And how are they supposed to do that, if parents aren't supposed to be able to teach them and it's "necessary" to send them to school in order for them to learn anything? How ironic!
#200 of 205 Old 08-09-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrissyy
I think this article explains it well:
" I've learned that today's young parents are under so much
pressure to not only send their kids to preschool at age 3, but to
start preparing them ("readiness") even earlier than 3 that they
feel they must call themselves homeschoolers so people won't think
their little ones aren't being educated."
This article bummed me out on several levels that I consider relevant to the present discussion and the present forum. Let me say, as background, that I would have sent my child to preschool just before age 3 not because it's what's done, or because I was concerned that she'd fall behind other kids (I'm far too cocky for that ), but because I believed in it. I used to be into Montessori, which is just one of many deeply thought out methods of early childhood education. Even the standard "high quality" non-academic nursery school is not well characterized as "just play play play" (a phrase I often read). It is a prepared environment with self-conscious facilitators, and it's the product of deep thought and research over many generations.

When I went through my mini-preschool crisis, I reached life-altering conclusions about education and became a committed unschooler. Contra Barbara Frank, not only don't I believe that my child needs a formal program at age 5, I don't believe that she needs one, ever, unless she chooses it for herself.

What strikes me about anti-preschool rhetoric is how patronizing a lot of it sounds. And not just to those misguided young parents. Barbara Frank does not appear to think with the mind of a child. What's a "lazy" afternoon at the park, again? I guess I lost it in my 4-year-old's furious dash from one physical and mental challenge to the next: climbing, running, jumping, playing ball, socializing, experimenting with the water fountain, examining the plants and animals, asking about the grounds equipment and other people's customs and motivations and what causes the weather. Why finger paint specifically, instead of using brushes? My 16-month-old can do both with tempera paint, and she also experiments with other ways of applying paint: pouring, dripping, tossing. She is engrossed in the visual and textural aspects of what she is perceiving and creating. It drives me crazy when I hear people making what young children do sound little and cute: "just" play, nothing serious. That kind of language is completely adult-centered. Sure, to us, it might feel lazy to stay at the park instead of getting home and working, and it might look cute to play with dolls. But the child is doing the child's work, and while it is joyous and ebulliant and motivated by a wonderful sense of humor, there is nothing in the world more serious!

Telling parents to "just play" with their kids is doing them a huge disservice. It implies that no special thought is required, anyone can just intuitively provide everything a young child needs. That's not true at all. For example, many of us were raised in such a way that our kneejerk response might be to discourage a 16-month-old from "misusing" paint, or to think that a 16-month-old was too young to benefit from painting, or that it was all too much mess and trouble. Many of us were raised to value representational art over non-representational, to try to teach young kids how to draw representationally, to make various kinds of comments that stifle creativity. Understanding how children generally relate to art as they grow, forming ourselves in truly observing, appreciating, and responding what they are doing , is incredibly important, and it is by no means intuitive for most parents. I've seen tons of parents parenting intuitively, both as a child and now as a fellow parent, and I can tell you it never looked anything at all like remarking casually that the toddler seemed to be making curved lines on the (heavyweight, 12 x 18") paper with her tempera paint. It looked a lot more like asking the child, who had been struggling with discount tray watercolors on newsprint, "What's that supposed to be?" Maybe some of you travel in more sophisticated circles than I do, but I'm just sayin'.

By the way, at the end of the day, I am by no means saying that kids need a formal program, or that parents who think of their role prior to age 6 in terms that do not involve phrases like homeschooling, unschooling, early education are doing them a disservice. AT ALL. I FULLY support whatever rationale people want to use in finding a self-description that feels comfortable for them. However, it really and truly bothers me that I have to wonder, when I take my dd to a homeschooling group event so that she can meet other kids who aren't starting school (unlike EVERY kid in her neighborhood), or when I come on here and consider taking the plunge and posting in an unschooling thread, whether parents of older kids are, like Barbara Frank, feeling "bewildered" and wondering, "What's her hurry?" and speculating on what I must have been conditioned or pressured to think. I just don't get it: Homeschoolers are already a tiny minority. Why create even more exclusion and anxiety for people who are trying to find support and comradery?

Oye Yemaya oloto
#201 of 205 Old 08-11-2006, 09:45 PM

I think that there are times when you can play to just play. Like to day we were just jumping in a puddle just to jump. Nothing else and isn't that the best thing about being 2? That you can do just to do?
#202 of 205 Old 08-12-2006, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
What an odd thread. I don't usually open threads with the word "preschool" in the title but this one has gotten so long I was curious.

I found the time when my kids were 3-5 to be when I needed the most support and had the most questions. I was reading everything I could find and trying to find a path that felt right to me. All the kids we knew disappeared into preschool and other activities, and the homeschooling groups were open to us, but really not suited to our needs as all the activities and the focus was on older kids.

I hated to place a label on what we did because the labels all seemed wrong for reasons others have gone into. I still haven't worked out the underlying question of when homeschooling begins. When people ask me how long I've homeschooled, I don't know what to say. My oldest child is nearly 10 and has never been to school. I'm not sure how to calculate how much homeschooling that is. There was never a day we started -- life just gradually changed as the kids got older.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#203 of 205 Old 08-12-2006, 01:06 AM

Sure. Although you can do it at any age, not just 2.

ETA: That was in response to BecBayGrayMad -- cross-posted with Linda.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#204 of 205 Old 08-12-2006, 01:11 AM

We are trying to figure out if we should do it with dd or not. She's 4 and has been reading for about 6 months and slowly progressing. Its actually pretty impressive as she's just picking it up on her own from playing computer games like http://www.starfall.com
I want to encourage her interests so I'm thinking of doing more things with her and maybe using some type of structured curriculm.

I'm a little lost to be honest though. I feel like I should start in a month or so if we do to keep to a traditional schedule. I could just be over thinking it though.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#205 of 205 Old 08-15-2006, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Very intersting article about Harvard and Homeschooling.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=512786

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page