Celebrity homeschoolers? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 41 Old 08-21-2006, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could the "Smiths" be working around being legal? California isn't the most homeschool friendly state...but I think part of that is because they have so many working kids and past history of abuse they are tighter to protect the kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 08-21-2006, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass
It looks like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are going to homeschool.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200...oraglobalcause

I think this article is expired. Here's a peice of it though.

From the article:
Jolie says she broke her silence with the media to further her latest cause: educational opportunities for children worldwide.
When she looks at her son Maddox, 4, from Cambodia, and daughter Zahara, 1, from Ethiopia, she says, "I just think, especially my daughter, there's no possible way she would have gone to school. She is so smart and so strong. And her potential as a woman one day is great.
I think she was just talking about Zahara being a female in Ethiopia which would equal no school and no education. I know her son Maddox goes to school, they show pics of her and Brad picking him up and taking him to school all the time in the celebrity rag mags and stuff.

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#33 of 41 Old 08-21-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel
I do. I'm sharing homeschooling duties with my mom. She works with the kids during the day while I'm at work and I work with them in the evenings. We're mainly unschooling (for now anyway), but DS likes flashcards.
I do as well. I go to school full time and my mom watches and helps homeschool my girls a LOT. Since when does homeschooling mean that only the parent can homeschool? My kids learn from many people, there is no way that I can teach them everything they need to know.

#34 of 41 Old 08-21-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom
Could the "Smiths" be working around being legal? California isn't the most homeschool friendly state...but I think part of that is because they have so many working kids and past history of abuse they are tighter to protect the kids.
I homeschooled in CA for many years, and worked as a volunteer for the HomeSchool Assn. of CA most of that time. It was a very friendly state for homeschooling during the whole time I was homeschooling - in spite of having a couple of successive state attorneys that had tried subtly and unsuccessfully to make it otherwise with their interpretations of the law, and they're both gone now. There were a few incidents here and there, from time to time, that involved misinterpretation of the law by isolated officials, but we all got those things quickly straightened out together. There was one case that unfortunately got a lot of publicity a few years ago in which one county was hassling a few homeschoolers - but they couldn't get the district attorney to prosecute because they clearly didn't have a case, so that dissolved. Homeschooling in CA is very simple and hassle-free. My family began with a public program through our local school but soon switched over to establishing our own private school - which only involves filing a simple affidavit once a year and keeping on hand some paperwork that no one ever sees. The myth that CA is not homeschooling friendly is a result of publicity getting overblown about the few high profile hassles that had come about but quickly got resolved. When you hear about someone being hassled, it's generally someone who failed to use (or refused to bother with) one of the simple legal options. Lillian
#35 of 41 Old 08-21-2006, 12:41 PM

I do think that the Smiths are consciously homeschooling - even if they get help - I wish I could hire a chemist next year!

And I think we should be careful about generalizations of any kind...but I agree with UUMom that someone who is essentially working ther kids and getting a tutor so the kids can audition/work is not really homeschooling - especially if they are not as involved with the educational choices.

My acquaintance is fully involved in the girls' education. I don't think that all stage parents are as focused on the educational aspects as long as the child gets a certified tutor with whom they get along .

(Will someone please define the correct uses of who/whom?)

Anyway, I would very leery of using celebs as role models - my own son chose Sammy Sosa to look up to and well, he still did great charity work and was a great player and possibly set up - who knows - but either way, it wasn't easy when my son got the cork story in the little league dugout.

Best wishes,

Lucie
#36 of 41 Old 08-21-2006, 01:06 PM

Thanks for clearing things up on Angelina and Brad.

I don't know a single homeschooler that does not take some type of outside class like a sport, music, co-op, or tutor of some type. Even if you hire tutors exclusivly you are still homeschooling. It just may not be the syle of homeschool you or I use, but it is still homeschooling.
#37 of 41 Old 08-21-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass
Even if you hire tutors exclusivly you are still homeschooling. It just may not be the syle of homeschool you or I use, but it is still homeschooling.
I dont know...this may be a terribly unpopular opinion, but I respectfully disagree.

When someone hires tutors for everything - and they aren't unschooling or teaching their child in any way - then I would consider them really to have their child in a private school. Homeschooling may be a legal status they use, but if they truly are not involved in the education themselves, then it just isn't the same - especially if even the tutor has been chosen by an outside entity - like the 2nd assistant producer (translates to gopher) on a movie.

I'm not saying one is better than another - lots of people think since I have no teaching degree that I am truly unqualified and my kids would be better off with a tutor.

I'm just saying that that person is truly not homeschooling and most likely they wouldn't choose to identify themselves as a homeschooler anyway - except legally.

Best wishes,

Lucie
#38 of 41 Old 08-21-2006, 03:10 PM

Slightly off topic: being an Ethiopian girl does NOT = no education. I have been to Ethiopia, my DS was born in Ethiopia. Now I will admit that I only visited Ethiopia's capitol, Addis Ababa, and I don't know what the situation is in other cities or rural areas. However, not only did I observe TONS of kids (appeared to be equal numbers of boys and girls) going to school, I also talked to people about the education available. The poorest of the poor did not attend school. However, there are public schools, and if parents can afford to buy a school uniform and books (perhaps a small amount for tuition), their kids go to public school. If they can afford it, parents will send their kids to private schools because public education is viewed as inferior. Quite often, especially for younger kids, school is half-day. Younger kids go in the morning, older kids go in the afternoon. School there is mostly about rote memorization. However, in high school (which many kids don't attend), most if not all classes are taught in English. There appeared to be somewhat of a generational gap- older women were not as well educated, but I spoke with some women in their 30s who were lower class by Ethiopian standards, but still spoke English.

That said, kudos to Brangelina if they decide to homeschool their kids.

And ITA about the Smiths. I have yet to find out something about that couple I DON'T like. They just seem to be good people, kwim?

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#39 of 41 Old 08-21-2006, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, what Angelina was talking about was the fact that Zahara was in an orphanage and I guess the odds of completing school are pretty low for children who grow up in orphanages in Ethiopia. I had originally read or see the interview that the quote came from and that was the general context of it.

As for celebrity homeschoolers, I don't care to emulate what celebrities do, but they do tend to be trendsetters, meaning if celebrities start doing it, more of the masses will often consider doing it, too. I hear that some homeschool children get teased by institutionally schooled kids (we haven't had that happen yet, my public schooled nephew wishes that he could homeschool) and if they had a ready set answer, like, "well all of these celebrities were or do homeschool....", it might be a helpful comeback.

As for whether having tutors is really being homeschooled, well, that's a complex issue. I think it also depends on whether or not EVERY single subject is led by the tutor/teacher. Personally, I wonder if "virtual school" is really homeschool, seeing as the child is still in the school system and is learning someone else's curriculum, but this is a diverse forum and I think it's great if EVERYONE chooses their own way to go about it.
#40 of 41 Old 08-21-2006, 09:58 PM

Wynonna homeschools her children- herself. She wrote about it in her book, saying how she loved it and how it worked so well for them.
#41 of 41 Old 08-21-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz
Slightly off topic: being an Ethiopian girl does NOT = no education.

That said, kudos to Brangelina if they decide to homeschool their kids.
?
They don't homeschool. Not at all (unfortunatly).

My point about Ethiopia was that their dd Zahara was born to a mother with AIDS and who died and was from a VERY poor part of Ethiopia, she would not have gotten an education where she was from, in an orphanage and such. She was horribly sick when she came to the US. Sorry, I should have been clearer, I was referring to the previous post about why Angelina said what she said. I don't want anyone to think I was generalizing about Ethiopians! Just their situation.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page