Learning at home groups in the Seattle area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-16-2006, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you know of any groups that meet up for daytrips etc. on a regular basis? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-16-2006, 01:29 PM

Seattle Homeschooling group or SHG
Not religiousely affilited, sends out a monthly newsletter/calendar with field trips, gatherings, and such. I just joined but have not yey gone to any of their stuff. Just google them for the web address. Michelle

, mama to DS(7/)22/02) DS (8/14/04) , and an angel (3/10/10)nursing a broken heart...loving my boys.
#3 of 9 Old 08-16-2006, 05:32 PM

Federal Way Scoop is south of Seattle. We are a new, non religious based group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fwhscoop/

We do potlucks, and trips mostly, with some park dates, mom led yoga and occasional sharing of talents ( next week I am teaching some crochet).
#4 of 9 Old 08-19-2006, 03:29 AM

If you are north of Seattle, there is a non-religious group in the Everett/Marysville/Snohomish area called learning adventures, it is a yahoo group. We do fieldtrips, a once a week science class for older kids, a once a month book report/pizza lunch, we are starting a book club, I think we are going to start up a craft class again this fall (once a month) .
#5 of 9 Old 08-26-2006, 05:26 PM

Nini - I looked on yahoo groups and the only group I could find with Learning Adventures was a HS group for LDS familes. Is this the same group? Thanks.
#6 of 9 Old 08-26-2006, 11:35 PM

Oh golly gee wilikers no,,,, no religious affiliation with this group, which is exactly the reason I joined it. I am one of those that feels religion should be learned at home with the family and not pushed thru the schools. (I was traumatized growing up in public schools in Utah).
If you send an email to this address asking to subscribe, they should be able to send you the right link,,,, [email protected]
The list owner is a lady named Des.
Karen
#7 of 9 Old 08-27-2006, 02:09 AM

I am planning to join this one on the Eastside. I'm not sure how many trips they do, though.

http://www.washtpa.org/
#8 of 9 Old 08-27-2006, 05:15 PM

Thanks, Nini. I sent in a subscription e-mail. I'm also planning on joing Trestle. I *may* join the Washtpa, as it's about 20 minutes away... but going to take a while and see how things progress.
#9 of 9 Old 08-27-2006, 11:22 PM

you will have to let me know how those go. I looked several times at Trestle, but they seem to duplicate several things with Learning adventures, and they cost money, (presently my DH has been unemployed for 6 months so we have to watch every penny until we have an actual positive cash flow again,,) and I am also very interested in the "lego days" from the Washtpa.org, but need more info before I can commit the finances to that...

Right now, it is really saving us that we have already paid memberships to the museums/zoo/aquarium and are able to do so many free things thru the library. Also, I had just paid for the plays for this season before my DH lost his job, and had just bought our organic 1/2 scottish hoghland cattle for the freezer. Having a fully stocked pantry and these other things paid in advance has really saved us during this monetary dry spell.

Karen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page