Teaching an Older Child to Read - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Does anyone have any suggestions for easy beginning books to read that are interesting for a 10 year old boy? Ds has major learning disabilities, but we are continuing to try. But all the early reading programs are geared to 4-5 year olds, and he finds it humiliating and condescending. I read to him a couple hours a night, from Harry Potter and adult science fiction through college textbooks, and it would really be a step backward (in his eyes) to regress to Dr. Seuss. When I tutored adult literacy many years ago, we had novels written with limited vocabulary and simpler sentence structure, but I don't know how to find such things now. Any clues?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#2 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What about comic books? They are intended for older kids but have pictures which would help him puzzle out some of the words.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you watch television at all? Maybe he'd be interested in shows that he likes with closed captioning?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#4 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
What about comic books? They are intended for older kids but have pictures which would help him puzzle out some of the words.
I was just going to say that
#5 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for easy beginning books to read that are interesting for a 10 year old boy?
Calvin and Hobbes came to mind immediately for a start! Many boys that age have unconsciously pushed themselves in order to read these for the sheer pleasure.

And you'd probably have better luck with non-fiction books rather than fiction for your purposes - they can be very good even if not read smoothly or completely accurately. Check out Vicki Cobb's books for that age group:
Vicki Cobb - Kid's Fun Page. You can click on titles and look inside them on this site. I'd bet he'd enjoy her Bet You Can book, for instance - you can see a page from it on this page.

Lillian
#6 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Dar

If you google "high interest low vocabulary" you'll find the sorts of book series you mentioned before. Here is a nice collection of links for them, too.

Although I think comics are a great idea, too!

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#7 of 7 Old 09-28-2006, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thank you all so much. Email notification didn't work with this for some reason, and I hadn't checked back in a couple days. Great suggestions! Off to go shopping; at least window shopping, or the online equivalent.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page