staying sane - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I could search the threads for this topic but I am a homeschooling mama with NO TIME --and its been so long since I had a moment for this lovely groups support....

so how do you all do it? i mean balance the cleaning, the 2 yo standing on the kitchen table while you try to do felting with the 6 yo?!?! and then accept the fact that the family business is becoming really sucessful and yes that's good but no its bad since DH is rather absent lately... its all good stuff, but I am just spinning...

i love life but just wonder how its all possible to fit in...

thanks

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#2 of 18 Old 09-28-2006, 11:01 PM

by picking and choosing our priorities. Is it more important for the kitchen to be clean or my son to learn multiplication tables ?
Is it more important to focus on the home business today and get paperwork settled or should we concentrate on grammar lessons ?

Sometimes it's day to day...sometimes it's weeks...
#3 of 18 Old 09-28-2006, 11:07 PM

I've no idea but I can definitely see myself in your shoes in year or so. DH and I are talking of starting a business but he still needs to work to pay the bills for now so I'll be the one doing all the cooking, cleaning, schooling, and business stuff. : If you do figure it out, let me know!

I already feel crazy most days and we are only in Kindergarten! I agree about priorities though. My house is a mess. I haven't dusted in so long, my house looks like a haunted mansion but hey we are cruising through a new workbook and my DS is learning to type! It's really exciting stuff and I get to be right in the middle of it everyday!
#4 of 18 Old 09-28-2006, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

funny that reply -- i am thinking about the LIFE that happens when we aren't DOING THINGS. the looking at the trees as they change, the bunnies that come to the bird feeder, the girls as they watch daddy pull into the driveway.

that and the fact that i need order in this little house to feel peace. damn i am really venting now. i am wondering how to let go of it --the needs the wants all of it --to really be inthe moment with our families...

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#5 of 18 Old 09-28-2006, 11:32 PM

I have a 2 yr old standing on the table all the time too! I don't have an answer for you but I hear you loud a clear. We're in the same boat.
Some days are better than others is all I can say.
I keep thinking of the saying that it takes 13 times of doing something that makes it a habit. Problem is that I can never do something 13 times before the sequence (like doing schoolwork before anything else, chores at a certain time, etc) is broken by something that can't avoided. I laugh with my friend that I can't get past the #6 time! LOL
So I've let go "just a little" and yes the house is messy and we're living out of piles of clean clothes in my room since they don't seem to get put away....but everyone is pretty darn happy lately so that makes me think something is working right.
I do hope to get things a little more organized-trust me-it's my dream! But I realize that I have to take baby steps-first one is just having the kitchen counter clean each night-so far so good.
Good luck to you!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#6 of 18 Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 PM

My kids are happy, very happy, but my house is a WRECK.....they are happy & learning and inquiring and enjoying and exploring and I'm going nutso with the chaos, wondering if I can really do this (more will be revealed), struggling to find enough child care (and at which times of day??? we're trying to figure out our rhythm) to cover the 10 hours of work I need to do each week to help out my husband's business and take care of my one graphic design client (the new Quaker school in town, oddly enough).

I just wonder if it will ever calm down. I don't want to live in squalor. Is the choice here squalor and freedom or a clean house and dealing with school??

Today I was musing that we really need FT live-in help, because it used to be me filling that role and now I'm facilitating my kids' education and working a bit for hire as well, and whatever mediocre housewifish things I used to do have gone utterly by the wayside Actually, when I realized I needed FT live in help I got a smile b/c suddenly it explained all the chaos.

I guess I needed to vent--thanks for the thread!
#7 of 18 Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlemom View Post
I whatever mediocre housewifish things I used to do have gone utterly by the wayside
Granted I'm only doing kindergarten right now, but I see those "mediocre housewifish things" (love that line ) as part of my children's "education". I think that it will continue to be a key part of their day as they get older.

We start the day by getting it ready, making beds, sweeping, etc. they participate in baking, cooking, general cleaning, laundry, etc. they learn as much from that as anything else.

Still, I am spinning today...less from cleaning/chaos than from dd (18 months) driving me bonkers. It's so hard to get a moment, just one itty bitty moment...Yesterday I was singing the praises of hs-ing, how fantastically it's going, blah blah blah; today I wondered many times, "Am I mad?".

I have to remind myself, that's exactly how any job usually is for me; some days I love it, other days I don't want to be there at all. I have to stop expecting perfection from myself.
#8 of 18 Old 10-04-2006, 11:40 AM

You have to find the humor, is what I've found. If you can't laugh about all the little stuff you go insane. I like to choose my priorities, but the landlord has decided to pick some for me and DH and I spent the last wee cleaning nonstop. The only way we made it through was to crack jokes about the craziness of what was going on.

Sometimes when I get really stressed Dh has to be the one tossing jokes to get me out of it. But you have to look at how funny it is.
#9 of 18 Old 10-04-2006, 01:08 PM

House cleaning?? What is that??? :

The children are REALLY loving HS! The oder ones are learning like never before and the little ones are so happy to have their older siblings home!!

I agree with the PP: it is important to learn to let go and laugh at those little things. It gets REALLY crazy here sometimes with 4 children (8yo and under), but believe it or not, I have been losing my patience A LOT less than I used to before the kids were HS!! One learns a lot of self discipline in so many levels in life with this - and there is a very good rhytm in the home now.

If only I had a maid and a cook, than it would be abolute HEAVEN!!
#10 of 18 Old 10-04-2006, 01:42 PM

The 2yo sometimes leaves me exasperated by 5pm when he hasn't taken a nap and is nothing less than a tasmanian devil.

Yes, exasperated. That's the exact word to describe it.
#11 of 18 Old 10-04-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
Granted I'm only doing kindergarten right now, but I see those "mediocre housewifish things" (love that line ) as part of my children's "education". I think that it will continue to be a key part of their day as they get older.
OOPS! wrong part of speech. I hope you weren't offended! Here's what I meant to say: "Whatever housewifish things I used to do mediocrely have completely gone by the wayside." ITA learning to pick up after one's self, clean, cook, sew, etc. etc. are great and important part of education!! (these got lost somewhere in my fancy schmancy private education, along with how to balance a checkbook! )

Quote:
If only I had a maid and a cook, than it would be abolute HEAVEN!!
yes!!!
#12 of 18 Old 10-04-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlemom View Post
I hope you weren't offended!
NOOOOooo!!!
#13 of 18 Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 PM

DH and I love this song from Mary Poppins.... except my dh has his own rendition ala OUR family. : Whenever we get way stressed he sings this and it gets us laughing at the chaos of life right now.

Mr. Banks - the father - sang this. Anyone remember it?:

I feel a surge of deep satisfaction

Much as a king astride his noble steed.

When I return from daily strife, to hearth and wife

How pleasant is the life I lead

I run my home precisely on schedule

At 6:01 I march through my door

My slippers, sherry and pipe are due at 6:02

Consistent is the life I lead

It's grand to be an Englishman in 1910

King Edward's on the throne it's the age of men

I'm the lord of my castle the sovereign, the liege

I treat my subjects, servants children, wife with a firm but gentle hand, noblesse oblige

It's 6:03 and the heirs to my dominion

Are scrubbed and tubbed and adequately fed

And so I'll pat them on the head and send them off to bed

Ah, lordly is the life I lead
#14 of 18 Old 10-05-2006, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namama View Post

thanks
I just don't sleep...easy. Seriously though just over a year ago I felt very much the way you do...then a good friend of mine said "hey have you checked out this Flylady site?" It's taken me just over a year but using her methods we decuttered the house, set up routines, and now I find I have time to not only clean, do laundry, cook meals, and keep up the yard BUT I also have time to be with the kids to help them learn, sew, get my sewing business back up and running, and I steal a few moments out of my day to post here and with the kidney disease support group I help moderate. (I'm a kidney patient too so being able to keep the house up without wearing myself out was a dream come true)

Flylady methods are easy to follow, but the hard part is telling your inner brat to be quiet and listen to your new way of doing things. Mine still pops up and says "just leave the dishes you can get them in the morning" or "to heck with vacuuming today it's just going to get dirty again" I have to tell her to be quiet and if I do this stuff now it will only take 5-15 minutes...if I wait the pile will get bigger and it will take more time to do it.

Her site is free as are all her great tips... www.flylady.net
#15 of 18 Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 AM

I truly believe that every homeschool mom deserves a maid! We can't fit one in the budget right now but I dream of the day when someone else will mop my floor for me. My dream is that we go off to Friday Park Day and return to a clean house! Oh how sweet that would be!
#16 of 18 Old 10-05-2006, 08:37 AM

I do a little in the morning before the kids get up,like some laundry or sweep a floor.I clean a little in the afternoon,when they go outside.I clean and do some laundry on saturdays.I use my crockpot A LOT!

There's usually books and projects everywhere.The microscope is permenently enshrined next to the kitchen aide.The slides, beakers and other sundries are on the side board.I have several stacks of books in the living room and on dining room chairs because I've run out of space.

Our home decor is mostly science posters and "student" artwork.
You can't walk in the living room because the boys are working on a huge zome model.

It'd be nice to have a nice clean uncluttered house,but then someone else would be raising and educating my children.I don't want to live like that.

I figured out I don't have to fit it all in.Just what I need to do each day.
And yeah it goes by FAST!

"Put your ham in your lap it's gonna be a bumpy ride" Jamie at 5 when the toilet overflowed during dinner one night.( we were having ham)
#17 of 18 Old 10-05-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namama View Post

thanks

Coffee!!!
#18 of 18 Old 10-06-2006, 01:40 PM

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Mary Poppins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That song is funny now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page