Magic Treehouse Books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I purchased books 1-4 awhile back and we just pulled them out on Friday night to start reading for bed time and WOW! My 5 year old son cannot get enough of them! We read the first book in one sitting and it was late last night so we only read just under half of the second one, but the first thing he asked to do this morning was to continue reading! They are such great books! I just love finding something that he gets so excited about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 10:19 PM

My ds loves them as well, I'm surprised he's actually wanting to read a chapter book! Were on book number 4 now and we have more ordered...we just cant get enough.
Jackie
Old 10-16-2006, 12:54 AM

We started them last fall when DS was 4 3/4, and finished through #35 by spring. We're reading them again as we speak as we wait for #36 to show up at our library (released in Sept). They are wonderful, indeed! I remember thinking that I'd skip some of the ones he may not understand: Civil War, Revoultionary War, The Titanic, etc., but skipping wasn't an option for the arching story line and for DS, as it turns out, not problem to read them all. Osborne has a way of presenting even difficult subjects such as war, and sinking ships in a way that is educational, inspiring and workable even for the very young reader (or listeners as it were ). DS was so taken with the Titantic Book (#17 I believe) that we ended up studying it quite voraciously for a month or more. He handled the more devastating information sensitively but also matter of factly, and we spent mucho time reconstructing the ship with blocks, drawing, and we even turned our house into the Titanic and redramatized the whole event.

Not every book takes us this deep mind you (no pun intended) but one thing I know for sure is that I never know where an MTH book will take us. So far, many good times have been had thanks to Jack and Annie. "OH, MAN!"

At any rate, I'm thankful for our local libraries having copies of these books and having an on-line capacity to place them on hold in order (sometimes we have to wait a spell but not usually).

Happy reading!

Em

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
Old 10-16-2006, 04:36 PM

Hi! Does anyone know where I can get (or have fsot) cheapest books #10, and all after #13 (exceot 16 and 28 which we have...). Thanks!!! I checked Amazon used, but the per book shipping is so high might as well buy new...
Old 10-16-2006, 04:38 PM

We are getting ready to start them. I also ordered this book...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/043...772812?ie=UTF8

They also have research guides for most of the the books. I haven't looked at them yet but they sound neat if you want to expand on any of the subjects covered in the book.

Sky, mama to dd 10/00, dd 3/02, ds 7/04, dd 3/07, ds 7/10, stork-girl.gif11/12 & married 11 yrs

Old 10-16-2006, 04:43 PM

Amazon right now has a promotion that lets you buy 4 eligible books (dvds or music too) and get one of them free. I'm pretty sure all the MTH books are eligible. You can also get a two month free trial of Amazon Prime that gives you two day shipping free without having to spend a certain amount. I decied to use the trial since I use Amazon for a lot of Xmas shopping. You can cancel anytime. HTH someone (I'm a bargain hunter so any way I can get things cheaper I find it, lol)!

Sky, mama to dd 10/00, dd 3/02, ds 7/04, dd 3/07, ds 7/10, stork-girl.gif11/12 & married 11 yrs

Old 10-16-2006, 09:33 PM

Oh yes, the research books are great! My 4 and 7 year olds love the entire series. And our homeschooling kids book group is going to be reading High Tide in Hawaii next.

: I am a woman of faith; a mother; a writer. :
Old 10-16-2006, 11:58 PM

My DS loves these books to! And so far, its been a great way of introducing new topics to him. Especially since history most times is very dry....this presents it in a very easy to understand way.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 AM

My 5 yr old DS liked the books as well. I read up to book 5 or 6 I believe. I've actually stopped for now. I'm going to start reading the Little House series.

One thing I do not like about the MTH books is some of the language. I found myself skipping lines or changing them. For example when Jack says, "I'm going to kill her." I don't like the term "shut up" either. I was dismayed to see that in a children's book for such a young audience.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
My 5 yr old DS liked the books as well. I read up to book 5 or 6 I believe. I've actually stopped for now. I'm going to start reading the Little House series.

One thing I do not like about the MTH books is some of the language. I found myself skipping lines or changing them. For example when Jack says, "I'm going to kill her." I don't like the term "shut up" either. I was dismayed to see that in a children's book for such a young audience.
That's why I quit reading the Little House series. I didn't like my children hearing how Laura and Mary received spankings for being little children (playing on Sunday or something like that) or the song in the one book with the racial slurs. Yes, I am aware that that was the times but still, to me, it was really no different.

And sorry to have hijacked. Going back to my little corner now.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*SugarMama*~ View Post
That's why I quit reading the Little House series. I didn't like my children hearing how Laura and Mary received spankings for being little children (playing on Sunday or something like that) or the song in the one book with the racial slurs.
My kids are with you! They HATE the little house books. In addition to the things you listed, they also find them to be very sexist.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 10-17-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed with boys View Post
...we just cant get enough.
We loved them, but I definitely got "enough"! I was so sick of them when we got through them, because they followed such a predictable pattern (crisis chapter 8, resolved chapter 9, home chapter 10....it's been a while, so maybe I have the chapters wrong). Maybe we read them too fast. We were reading 2 a day for a while :.

I agree with PP that they are a wonderful way to introduce difficult concepts, like war and natural disasters. The Civil War MTH book started a serious exploration for dd.....we went on to read about Abraham Lincoln, later civil rights heros, and the Addy books in the American Girl Series.

Dd has been asking me to read them again. I told her she can read them herself when she is reading at that level :.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:00 PM

I have a question, do you need to read them in order? I see them in the library and we have read a few but stoped when we couldnt find #5.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

Old 10-17-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
We loved them, but I definitely got "enough"! I was so sick of them when we got through them, because they followed such a predictable pattern.
Yes! I read 2 or 3 of them out loud before declaring that the girls could read them to themselves! It's not a bad thing to do -- they are written at a very easy level and are perfect first chapter books.

And no, you don't have to read them in order.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*SugarMama*~ View Post
That's why I quit reading the Little House series. I didn't like my children hearing how Laura and Mary received spankings for being little children (playing on Sunday or something like that) or the song in the one book with the racial slurs. Yes, I am aware that that was the times but still, to me, it was really no different.

And sorry to have hijacked. Going back to my little corner now.
Geez, so what books are out there that are good literature *and* follow AP standards?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Geez, so what books are out there that are good literature *and* follow AP standards?
If they work for you, great. My kids found them very distasteful, and I respect that.

There are tons and tons of books and not everyone is going to like all of them. My kids don't have a problem with violence or sexism being in a book as long as the point of view of the author is that those things are wrong, or at least that violence should be avoided if possible but it is OK to fight evil (such as in Narnia, Lord of the Ring, and Harry Potter.)

I think your DS is 5, right? At that age my kids things like Paddington (the old ones), Winnies the Pooh, Wizard of Oz, and Black Beauty. We also read a lot of myths and fairy tales.

They found the Little House books freaky. Little House in the Big Woods wasn't too bad, but they really deeply hated Little House on the Prairie, and later we tired Farmer Boy and we didn't get to far with it at all. It really surprised me because I liked these a lot as a child, but my kids have been raised very differently than I was and they feel differently about them.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
If they work for you, great. My kids found them very distasteful, and I respect that.

There are tons and tons of books and not everyone is going to like all of them. My kids don't have a problem with violence or sexism being in a book as long as the point of view of the author is that those things are wrong, or at least that violence should be avoided if possible but it is OK to fight evil (such as in Narnia, Lord of the Ring, and Harry Potter.)

I think your DS is 5, right? At that age my kids things like Paddington (the old ones), Winnies the Pooh, Wizard of Oz, and Black Beauty. We also read a lot of myths and fairy tales.

They found the Little House books freaky. Little House in the Big Woods wasn't too bad, but they really deeply hated Little House on the Prairie, and later we tired Farmer Boy and we didn't get to far with it at all. It really surprised me because I liked these a lot as a child, but my kids have been raised very differently than I was and they feel differently about them.
ITA! I started reading them to my children because I had loved them when I was younger. I never even noticed some of the things that my then 3yr old was pointing out to me (like the spanking for being too noisy...the crack about "black Jim"....and there was another one but I don't even remember it now)

To be honest, my DD has strong opinions on MANY books that most other children would enjoy. So, for me, I am not really sure what books out there would fit a more AP theme. Because, I don't tend to TRY to find books that suit that, but she does.

We have tried the classic fairy tales but she makes me create new endings for them (its not fair that the wolf shouldn't eat the children in the chinese version of Little Red Riding Hood but its ok for the children to kill the wolf....its not "right" for the little mermaid to drown herself just because someone else didn't like her...its not fair that Cinderella's step mom made her do all the work, that should be everyone's job in the family)

With that being said, she is a fan of Harry Potter and she seemed to like what little bit of Narnia I have read to her. She is a fan of Roald Dahl too. Especially Mathilda and The Great Glass Elevator.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich View Post
I have a question, do you need to read them in order? I see them in the library and we have read a few but stoped when we couldnt find #5.
Not necessarily, but it does help. There is an arching story line overall and smaller ones that use a 4 book series format. For instance, Books 1-4 are a set, 5-8 are a set and so on. Now, on our second time through, we're picking and choosing our favorites.

Interesting discussion about the content of books btw. I'm finding that most of the material we read contain passages that surprise me and sometimes offend me. DS has displayed shock and anger and sadness at things he finds hard to swallow. Alas, we've managed to enjoy the LHOTP and MTH series, along with Pippi, Oz and many others despite this. I've found that it's difficult to avoid the "questionable material" and have hence decided that it offers an important opportunity for discussion. LHOTP for instance had DS asking about everything for MONTHS on end, "did they do this back then?" He was very much tyring to understand life back then as opposed to now in every aspect from cooking, to cleaning, to hunting and yes, the treatment of children and women. Frankly, he was taken aback at times but somehow knowing of the way it used to be has given him great perspective and I believe, respect for how people have the power to change things that aren't right.

One thing in particular about the LHOTP books was the treatment and feelings towards native americans. I was aghast and times and found myself trying to cover things up, change lines, etc. However, DS was very interested in this particular, the difference of Pa's reaction (which was respectful and kind) and Ma's which was to be fearful and even hateful. This initiated long discussions about "fear" and how fear can change the way people act. And that mostly people fear things when they don't know them. This was huge for DS who has a tendency to become aggressive when he is fearful and feeling unsafe in some way. He has a huge fear of those things unknown and in particular, people who are unknown to him. Very illuminating for him, and for me and since, I've noticed him slowly being able to not judge before he's had a chance to get to know someone.

Of course, like Linda mentioned, there are tons of books out there and not all books are for everyone. We seem to come to books or series of books because something outside of the books has sparked an interest. We rarely pick up books off the shelf with no prior "spark" having occured. LHOTP for instance became an overnight obsession for DS after attending a birthday party which used LHOTP as a theme; complete with dress, pass the parcel games, three legged race, walks through the woods, and fresh baked pies and bread (I mainly just stood at the food table the whole time). However, we did burn out on the book series by book number 5 or so. DS wasn't so interested in Laura beyond the childhood years because that's where he related to her. OTOH, MTH's first book hits DS where he lives, "dinosaurs" so that one was a no brainer and we liked the format and couldn't stop until we'd made it to the end.

My .02 for what it's worth.

The best,
mb

Old 10-18-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I remember that first line was in the very first book and it surprised me too. Thankfully, it never appeared again in the subsequent 35 books. I wonder if another concerned parent made it known to Pope Osborne and she cleaned up the language. I do remember using this phrase as a kid, with siblings quite a lot. Like when my brother took money from my piggy bank! "I'm going to kill that Larry!" It seems strange to me now, but at the time, it was a pretty "normal" thing to say. The first book was written about 15, 16 years ago. I think people are much more careful about langauge in today's world, and I'm all for expanding and improving on vocabulary.

The best,
Em

User Tag List