Does anyone use the Core Knowledge series for their main homeschooling curriculum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-17-2006, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you structure your studies around it? Do you try and do certain parts at the same time as others? It seems like a lot of it is all over the place- random trivia without drawing lines between related information.

What kinds of supplements do you use? I'm tempted to just read aloud and discuss, and trust that eventually having that background knowledge will help the kids later in life.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#2 of 5 Old 10-17-2006, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The state thinks I do since I used it to crib the curriculum synopsis they require.;

Seems like we are hitting most of what is in there *accidentally* as we read/play/work/live. I think I will get it out and see how we are doing.

Not very helpful, sorry.
#3 of 5 Old 10-17-2006, 02:54 PM

We do use the Core books mostly as read alouds. We use a handwriting curriculum (Handwriting Without Tears), a math curriculum (Math U See) and Headsprout for reading.

I will pull the book out to read from sections. In that use it's short and easy, sometimes it gets their intrest and we explore more at the library. Like you said, for read aloud and discuss, I like it.

I think we moved on because it was easier for me to have something that was more prepared, for some subjects. In the curriculums we use now most of the planning is done and we follow along.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#4 of 5 Old 10-17-2006, 03:54 PM

A friend of mine uses it. She bought the planner and the sequence from Core Knowledge, both of which provide lesson ideas, and she also found a few websites that provide lesson plans.

Core Knowledge Lesson Plans

Baltimore Curriculum Project Core Knowledge Lesson Plans

My friend likes the idea of the CK series but she doesn't like that it has her two boys (6 and 9) doing completely different things most of the time.

Namaste!
#5 of 5 Old 10-17-2006, 08:46 PM

I was really disappointed reading the What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know. In one of the early books, the have the George Washington/Cherry Tree story in the history section of the book. The book has a fable section. The cherry tree story was in the history section. That kind of makes me twitch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page