Dr. Phil homeschooling show... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow. What a terrible clip. He's yelling at the unschooler mom, and the unschooler kids are made to look like they are running around like animals.

Niiiiice, Phil. Real nice. I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Wow. What a terrible clip. He's yelling at the unschooler mom, and the unschooler kids are made to look like they are running around like animals.

Niiiiice, Phil. Real nice. I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked.
I don't watch daytime tv, but from all I've read about Dr. P. : , anyway. To yell at his guests, no matter how he views the situation, invalidates his pov imo. Not to mention his sheer ignorance on the topic. How does he know his mind would be mush if his parents allowed him freedom to learn as he wished as a child? He speaks as a person that doesn't think he would be willing to learn on his own if allowed to. Reality is, we don't know, under differen't circumstances what choices he'd (or anyone else for that matter) would make, but my $$ is on searching out information on his own. Then again, his views seem to be very tunnel vision, so maybe I'd loose my $$.

I'm reading the comments in the message board : with a few good sound thoughts inbetween. I find it ironic the ones that choose to make broad sweeping anti-home/unschooling statements admit they don't know anything about it in the first place. Making comments on something they don't know about=stupid, stupid=choosing to be ignorant. :

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#63 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseccup View Post
Making comments on something they don't know about=stupid, stupid=choosing to be ignorant. :
Ah, if only I could put that in my siggy line. Isn't it amazing how many people freely comment on things they know nothing about? Astonishing really. Yet, somehow, when you get enough people who do that, they suddenly become the 'informed majority'.
#64 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
Ah, if only I could put that in my siggy line. Isn't it amazing how many people freely comment on things they know nothing about? Astonishing really. Yet, somehow, when you get enough people who do that, they suddenly become the 'informed majority'.
I don't care what ones opinions are, as long as they come to their own conclusions after researching all spectrums of the subject at hand. Making regurgatated comments (when the speaker/writer is spewing rhetoric on a topic they think they agree on, but have never really researched it from all angles), simply annoys me, even if I agree with the commentor.

was I against the agreements by making my original comment?

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#65 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
was I against the agreements by making my original comment?
What comment? I don't know what you're talking about. I don't think it was actually. I think you might get off on a technicality, IMO.
#66 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 04:47 PM

Just checked out the video and then went to look at my local listings. It doesn't even air here (Austin) because, apparently, college football trumps all else. Never thought I'd be glad to see football on!
#67 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 05:17 PM

Well, that will be something I will NOT be watching! We will be at my folk's house. I don't need them seeing that and getting all nuts! LOL Sad really. It could be such a great chance to educate people on a different lifestyle. I think people are afraid of different and that they see it as an attack on them if someone does something different and it works for them.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#68 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
How does he know his mind would be mush if his parents allowed him freedom to learn as he wished as a child?
Maybe he watches *UA violation deleted*
#69 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 05:40 PM

If what he says is true, you'd think he could find an adult unschooler whose life has gone to s**t, yk?
#70 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 09:12 PM

Well, I saw a clip for friday's show. Yucky. I think unless you want to spend an hour yelling at the TV you should stear clear. LOL It looked bad.
The header was "Parents who refuse to let their kids go to school" Instead of "Parents who choose to homeschool" or something like that. UGH! And then they showed him bullying the parents and saying things like "No dead lines?" the mom says something like "They make their own deadlines" which Phil says "If my parents would have done that I would have been applesauce" and not in a joky sort of way. Like mean and serious. Now it may well have been true for him, that if he had been allowed to have no dead lines that he would have just been a mess. But just because that was what he would have been like doesn't mean EVERYONE will be like that. And what the heck is so important about deadlines? I feel like I am trying to raise individuals (which the school system is always saying they are doing, yet they cont to push out drones). Will they need to learn about deadlines? Sure at some point, maybe. But not at 8! or 12, or 5 or whatever.
He also yelled at the mom who said she would let her kids go to school if they wanted to. He said how can they know to want it if they never are exposed to it. Is he serious? SCHOOL is everywhere. It is always shoved in your face. I think unless you lived alone in a cabin with no tv or contact with the outside world would your kids have no idea that school exsited. Plus is any school ok with Phil? I mean there are a heck of a lot of choices. Is he ok with Waldorf, Montossori (sp sorry), Sudbury? I mean is anything ok as long as the kid is not at home with the parents? (Not that I have a problem with any of those, just an example).
We have a liberal free newspaper here and they have one guy who will write a homeschool sucks article once a year or so. His whole thing is if he isn't comfortable enough to do it, and he is soooo educated (he has a masters and all, and his wife is working on her PhD) how could some "average" person be smart enough to educate their own children. I think people forget they are their children's first teachers.
I know homeschooling isn't for everyone. But instead of making it out to be something no one should do, it would be nice if it was presented as an alternative, as something that is an option out there. I guess that is too much to ask in this day and age. Sad.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#71 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyLLL View Post
The show was not pulled. Check www.drphil.com on Saturday to see when it is scheduled to air. (I am assuming Monday or Tuesday of next week. 10/30 or 10/31.

The Unschoolers on the show think it went well and got a lot of good stuff out there in the mainstream!! The positives of the show balance the negatives! Extending breastfeeding, family bed, respecting children...all of these topics are promoted and although Dr. Phil doesn't agree with all of them, Attachment parenting is out there and people are hearing about it! The show will make a difference!

~Dayna (the Radical Unschooling Mom on the show)

Just bumping this up from earlier in the thread. Dayna is the mom he's yelling at in the clips, it seems.

She says she feels it went well, so maybe there is more than the clip suggests.

Dayna, are you out there?
#72 of 105 Old 11-22-2006, 02:01 AM

I came to this forum to post a link about this dang show of Dr. Phils.
I had no idea that there was already a thread going strong, although I am not surprised.

Really more than anything this whole thing makes me sad. A long time ago I saw a show he did on co-sleeping and was very dissapointed. Something that comes so naturally to us and really is very important to us as a family... well, really it is just hard to watch such a thing and have it turned into some kind of freak show.

We are relatively new to homeschooloing and we are unschoolers. We chose this for a whole list of reasons after reading many many books and researching homeschooling to death.
If only people saw what my dd went through in school or any of the other issues or reasons people homeschool. For most of us it is a very well thought out, thoroughly researched decision.
It's hard to see it dismissed so easily into some weird stereotypes.

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
#73 of 105 Old 11-22-2006, 02:42 AM

Well, go figure that I was reading the new replies on this when Dh asked what I was reading.

I got to telling him about the clip and he had a few good choice comments. something about someone's grey matter being mush and trying to get ratings the Jerry Springer way.

But, yeah his feelings towards Dr.phil haven't changed any.

Yup not watching it here. I bet for those who can't get it and do want to watch it that someone somewhere will be putting it up on youtube.com
#74 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 11:55 AM

Dayna/BradelyLLL-- are you out there?
#75 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 12:56 PM

It won't be airing here. We get FOOTBALL instead. I'm pretty sure that's the case for the entire state of Iowa.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#76 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 03:22 PM

Well, I read the summary on this website, and I reeeeaaaallllyy shouldn't have. I'd better go tear my 11 year old away from reading to his baby sister so he can get some of that incredibly superior public school socialization. I mean, after all, his 12 year old public schooled cousin, who has no friends and is bullied incessantly, is clearly the one getting the super valuable life skills he's lacking. :
#77 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 04:29 PM

I am watching a tape of the show now. : I have to say that although Dr Phil is trying really hard to derail Dayna she is coming across as smart, well researched, and has a positive comeback for everything he is saying. To me, and granted I am already pro-AP , he is just going over his same canned lines and not making much sense. Dayna appears calm and is presenting very good arguments even though he just comes back to "but you have to have boundries and let them have experiences". She just keeps telling him they do get both of those things just not in the traditional sense.

Probobly if I was a sheeple though I would see Phil as the good guy here and just repeat his same baaaad advice. :

Now he is giving some of the same treatment to the lady that thinks that public school is awesome. She is coming off as pretty horrid actually.

Go Dayna!! You rock! I am just filled with admiration for you for going thru that to get the message out. You did such a fabulous job in the face of a hostile host. I think some people will be influenced positively by what you were able to say. Thank you for putting such a smart, nomal, sane, face on what mainstream America sees as a radical choice.
#78 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 05:16 PM

Why did I do this?? Why did I read the summary??? :

Do many of the things he said ought to p&^* off a great chunk of his audience! He has said in previous shows that he is not against HS during the primary years and middle school: well, saying that "teaching is science" and that a person without a "certificate" is not as prepared to teach their children, shows what he really thinks :

OMG - and what about that lady who was "scarred by HS!" Of course he has no interest in interviewing adults who had been unschooled! Talk about a "debate"!
#79 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 05:21 PM

WEll, Dr. Phil comes on three stations here, one is a subscription channel and I aint paying for it! The other two channels, one that comes on at three is preempted by football and the one at nine is preempted by basketball! So I guess no one here will be watching it.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#80 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 05:46 PM

There is a small poll on his site
in which you can vote for what you believe to be the
best form of education. All indications are that
this guy is going to have a lot of negative
presentation about homeschooling - here is your
chance to put in your two cents and tell him what
you think.

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/796

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#81 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 06:15 PM

I don't know if this link has been posted here. It makes VERY intresting reading! The so called audience were highschool kids bused in so that the ps side would be heavily weighted.
http://localhs.com/scuttle/2006/10/g...ool-debate.asp
#82 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 06:51 PM

I didn't think the show was that bad. The ideas of radical unschooling and attachment parenting *are* ideas that are out of the mainstream. There is a lot of ignorance and misconceptions surrounding both. I didn't think that the show was as negative as it could have been. The first family, especially, I thought presented themselves very well.

I mean, at least Dr. Phil let them speak and wasn't interrupting them or constantly cutting off their remarks to go to commercial.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#83 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 08:04 PM

"If the child’s not interested in what they’re being taught, basically somebody talking in the front of the room, it’s like throwing marshmallows at somebody’s head and calling it eating."

Priceless.
#84 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
"If the child’s not interested in what they’re being taught, basically somebody talking in the front of the room, it’s like throwing marshmallows at somebody’s head and calling it eating."

Priceless.
It's from here.
I love it too. Somewhere on the blog she tells that it came from a discussion board I think.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#85 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 10:44 PM

i thought the mom did great! i didn't think any of his concerns were valid but then again i'm an unschooler too. i would like to see that research he keeps bringing up ... and what the heck? that 26 yr old girl on there who said homeschooling made her socially retarded? she wished she could've had the high school socialization to make fun of other kids (one of her examples) or to try out for cheerleading and how all her current friends talk about high school adn she feels left out. at 26?! lol

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#86 of 105 Old 11-24-2006, 11:57 PM

I thought that too, Mandi. I'm 27 and when I walked out of my graduation (which I didn't want to attend--I wanted to go to California with my cousin but my mom insisted that I attend graduation) I never looked back. I don't pine for the 'good old days' of high school, nor do I consider them the best years of my life. In fact, I recognized then that they were preparatory, that my 'real life' hadn't yet begun.

But what do I know? I just think it's odd to be so focused on what you missed out on, rather than recognizing that you got this opportunity while others were doing something else. I think of it this way--we live in the country on a farm. My kids get to do a lot of things that kids in the city don't get to do. OTOH city kids likely have more exposure to theater, museums, and other such things. Neither experience is better or worse, they are just different.

But I know in Dr. Phil World different = bad.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#87 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 12:07 AM

I too want to see the "research."

I went to a Fundamental Baptist boarding school, much like the ones DP refers parents to when they have "troubled" teens. We didn't have prom either, or boys for that matter, but I'm pretty sure I got over it well before age 26. In Portland, OR, we have a homeschoolers' prom! I can't wait for dd to be old enough! 7 more years...:
#88 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 12:22 AM

When was it on I am in Portland, Oregon?
I looked and it was not on today.
#89 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 12:59 AM

Ohhh...I read it on the website...we don't have a tv, but I had a hunch the "civil war" might take precedence over dp.
#90 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 02:48 AM

The game interrupted the first 5 minutes of the show but then it was on. My 11yo dd was really irritated by the girl who said her "life was ruined" by homeschooling.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page