Dr. Phil homeschooling show... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Austin affiliate postponed it because of football (thank goodness), and we all thought it would be played at 12:30 AM Saturday. Nope. It was some show about in-laws facing off. Looks like it even included a polygraph test (maybe "Dr." Phil is taking his cues from Maury, now?).

Guess we won't be able to b**** about the good doctor at the homeschooling game day next week.
#92 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 05:02 AM

I'm amused that in the poll, unschooling is beating out public schooling.
#93 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriansmummy View Post
When was it on I am in Portland, Oregon?
I looked and it was not on today.
It was supposed to air on KOIN at 3. I'm not sure if it did or not ~ we didn't tune in.
#94 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 09:01 AM

The poll now reads homeschooling 51% Unschooling 21% and the other two more traditional choices are trailing wayyyyy behind.

My mother Tivo'd the show and really wants me to watch it. I told her I didn't think I could stomach it. I used to like Dr.Phil...but this season his ego , his reality based garbage , the way he treats his guests , his cussing....it's all too much. He lost me part way thru last season. I didn't agree with everything he said , but could pick out the good stuff here and there.

Even my dad...my harshest critic...told me he was outraged and that he was going to write a letter. !!!!! MY Dad !! Seems like I've softened my father over the last seven years.
#95 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
<snip>...or to try out for cheerleading ... <snip>
hmmm last time I checked you can do cheering at most gymnastics studios...

eta: I'm not surprised that PS/Private School is trailing way behind...

Heather
#96 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The thing I don't get is why he thinks all the social benefits (which he admits there is research backing up) of homeschooling evaporate at 9th grade? Like your HS'd highschooler isn't going to continue to be involved in social activities like he suggests, and possibly find a job (gasp! But you have to go to High School to learn what the real world is like!) part time, etc.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#97 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 02:28 PM

I'm assuming, Ravin, that it would be the end of the world for a kid to miss prom, football games, and other such activities. No matter how many people tell him that homeschoolers can do prom or sports it won't matter to him. It's outside of his comfort zone so it's therefore not advisable.

I'll never understand why these shared experiences are so important to people, honestly. I would have rather backpacked through Europe or something.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#98 of 105 Old 11-25-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
The thing I don't get is why he thinks all the social benefits (which he admits there is research backing up) of homeschooling evaporate at 9th grade? Like your HS'd highschooler isn't going to continue to be involved in social activities like he suggests, and possibly find a job (gasp! But you have to go to High School to learn what the real world is like!) part time, etc.
Hey, hey, hey. Dr. Phil didn't say it..."research" said it. He's just the messenger.
#99 of 105 Old 11-27-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Hey, hey, hey. Dr. Phil didn't say it..."research" said it. He's just the messenger.
:
#100 of 105 Old 11-27-2006, 06:43 PM

I popped over to read the summary stuff. The unschooling mom can off like a rose. I think she did really well.
Those audience people though... UGH! The one woman saying she wouldn't want the unschooling kids making decision that effect her. REALLY!? Well I would sure rather have a person who could have an independant thought make decisions then one who had been trained to think only within the box.
Oh well.
I have decided to NOT go over to the dicussion board as I am sure it will make me insane! LOL

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#101 of 105 Old 11-28-2006, 05:13 PM

I had Tivo'd the show and just watched it today. I thought the two unschooling families came off looking pretty good. If I knew nothing about unschooling beforehand, I would think it sounded pretty cool after watching this show.

The mom who wanted to homeschool because she was scared of school violence I felt sorry for, but she did nothing to advance homeschooling. If you are going to drive your homeschooled children around (to museums or wherever) you are probably increasing their odds of getting killed (in a car crash) more than if they rode a bus and spent seven hours a day in a schoolhouse.

Overall, I thought the show portrayed unschooling in a pretty good light - much, much better than I was expecting.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#102 of 105 Old 12-02-2006, 02:19 AM

I just caught this, and was really suprised that he was featuring unschoolers as the focal point of his show. I am a NMY and have only heard about unschooling on MDC, and the first time I read about it unschooling seemed pretty out there. So I think it is a really great thing to just get that idea out in the mainstream. Schooling is very far of, but it was very cool to have a face to put some of the ideas I've learned about here. Dayna, you handled yourself very well and your POV came across as very common sense to me. I mean I read and research more now that I am "done" with my education. I've always been very curious and been self motivated to learn. I think despite the fairly obvious editing tricks and aggressive questions, there will be plently of people who never would have been exposed to the concept who might look into it. One thing I thought was interesting was that the girl who said homeschooling ruined her life was quite well spoken and appeared to be well educated. So her parents couldn't have had it all wrong.
#103 of 105 Old 12-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for the support and the kind words! It has been a whirlwind since doing the show! The outpouring of interest and positive words are amazing! I even had an old friend call me say she saw the show and they have decided to pull their daughter out of school (if she wants) and start Unschooling! I feel so honored to be a voice for Unschoolers!

Thanks again for your kind words!

~Peace & Love, Dayna
#104 of 105 Old 12-02-2006, 07:05 PM

DAYNA-You rock! I just aw the show yesterday and I am glad you were a voice for unschooling. You were so calm and articulate! My mom watched the show so maybe she will "get it" now.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#105 of 105 Old 12-03-2006, 12:51 PM

I only watched about five minutes of it, and even *I* (the public school parent) was offended by his attitude about homeschooling.

He did not even speak respectfully to the children who's parents have chosen to "unschool". He made fun of the young man who claimed he could answer any question on history.

I was surprised by his attitude. I wished I had watche the whole show.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page