Dr. Phil homeschooling show... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 105 Old 10-21-2006, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear from one of my Florida homeschooling boards that the show was a very negative experience. I think it airs next week. They are having a meeting in Orlando about it on Thursday and the show airs next Friday. Anyone else heard about the show?
#2 of 105 Old 10-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Oh, Dr. Phil!!!!

I look forward to seeing what he has to say about it.
He has seemed very neg about it whenever it was talked about. Makes me upset as alot of people watch Dr.Phil and they think he is "smart" and now they will think what ever he says. I just hope none of my family watches it becuase I will get "well I heard from Dr.Phil A, B and C!".
#3 of 105 Old 10-21-2006, 07:20 PM

I did a Google search and found that almost exactly 12 months ago, Dr. Phil had a show on homeschooling.

http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/article_m...200128,00.html

I wonder what was said this time
#4 of 105 Old 10-21-2006, 08:06 PM

I started disliking Dr. Phil when he came out against cosleeping. I don't have much hope for his views on hs, but it'd be nice if he came up supportive. Not gonna hold my breath though.
#5 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 10:23 AM

Generally speaking Dr. Phil has seemed to me, over the years, to be pretty hostile to anything AP-ish. He seems to be a very rigid, rules-oriented guy...pretty sterotypical of our father's generation instead of our dh's.

It's a shame too, since I think that his straight-talk can be useful sometimes. But his bias against things I'd consider to be AP staples (extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, gentle discipline) makes it difficult for me to respect his views on other matters.

Of course I'll not watch this episode...don't need the stress of fussing at the tv. I'm just glad that my MIL never watches anything remotely informative...so I know she'll not watch it and attack us for homeschooling.

Maryhippie.gif

#6 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 12:00 PM

Dr. Phil = a loud-talking, self-appointed guru on things about which he doesn't have a clue. Why do people put their trust in this man? Oh yeah...because he speaks confidently and is on TV.
#7 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine View Post
Dr. Phil = a loud-talking, self-appointed guru on things about which he doesn't have a clue. Why do people put their trust in this man? Oh yeah...because he speaks confidently and is on TV.
ITA
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#8 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 02:20 PM

Sigh....

Here's an account from a homeschooling mother who was invited to be a part of Dr. Phil's audience during the taping. No, it's not a supportive or informative episode.

Quote:
Okay, let's start with all the things that are wrong with how this episode was handled. Here's what discourages me the most, and what was the most explosive. It was how the show was taped, how the homeschoolers were treated, and how we were all misled.
The Great School Debate
#9 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 03:01 PM

Wow! I knew it would be bad, but reading about how exactly they do their dirty work is unbelievable!!

Awful!!
#10 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 03:52 PM

: Thanks for posting this info. It's nice to know the 'details' of how things come to be on some shows.
#11 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 03:55 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#12 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post
Generally speaking Dr. Phil has seemed to me, over the years, to be pretty hostile to anything AP-ish. He seems to be a very rigid, rules-oriented guy...pretty sterotypical of our father's generation instead of our dh's.

It's a shame too, since I think that his straight-talk can be useful sometimes. But his bias against things I'd consider to be AP staples (extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, gentle discipline) makes it difficult for me to respect his views on other matters.

Of course I'll not watch this episode...don't need the stress of fussing at the tv. I'm just glad that my MIL never watches anything remotely informative...so I know she'll not watch it and attack us for homeschooling.

ITA! I know that there were people talking about sending in apps to appear on that show (not sure if they were from here or not though ) but I declined. Like stated above, I don't need to stress myself out spending time disagreeing about things that I have SEEN the benefits to.
#13 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 04:45 PM

unbelievable.. :

He needs to be called on it. We should get another show to 'expose' him and hold a real informative show

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#14 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 04:55 PM

wow. I think I'll send that story around to everyone I know.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

#15 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Somehow, I'm not suprised.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#16 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 05:50 PM

that is so weird. i saw the homeschooling episode last year and he had really positive things to say about homeschooling ... that is up until i think it was grade 7 or 8 after which somehow all the advantages of homeschooling no longer applied :

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#17 of 105 Old 10-22-2006, 06:06 PM

It's funny people think homeschooling is okay for elementary years but not middle and high school because I think it's vastly more important during the later years! Last week a 17yo stabbed a 15yo at a high school near me. It was the 16th act of school violence since school started here last July 31!!!

Sincerely,
Debra
#18 of 105 Old 10-23-2006, 12:00 AM

Huh. Well, no offense to those who may actually like this doofus but IMO, if Phil thinks there's something wrong with homeschooling, it makes it seem more RIGHT to me.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#19 of 105 Old 10-23-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
Huh. Well, no offense to those who may actually like this doofus but IMO, if Phil thinks there's something wrong with homeschooling, it makes it seem more RIGHT to me.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#20 of 105 Old 10-23-2006, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkypoet View Post
Sigh....

Here's an account from a homeschooling mother who was invited to be a part of Dr. Phil's audience during the taping. No, it's not a supportive or informative episode.

The Great School Debate

oh wow. that sounds awful. He is definitely very close-minded about homeschooling and that makes me mad to think of how the show will go especially since it may be the first time some parents consider homeschooling..

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#21 of 105 Old 10-23-2006, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Somehow, I'm not suprised.
Yeah, what she said.
#22 of 105 Old 10-24-2006, 09:12 PM

Well, the show isn't on this week's schedule. I was clicking around the site and noticed that Dr. Phil's wife is scheduled to speak at some "Women of Faith" conference on the 27-28th. I'm wondering if the homeschooling show was rescheduled or cancelled so she wouldn't have to deal with irritated conservative Christian homeschoolers.

I don't care what he thinks of homeschooling. I don't watch his show, but looking at what he does have scheduled (House of Hate, Homewreckers...) on the show that is his livelihood, I don't think he has any right judging how I live my life.

ZM
#23 of 105 Old 10-24-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
looking at what he does have scheduled (House of Hate, Homewreckers...) on the show that is his livelihood, I don't think he has any right judging how I live my life.
Good point.
#24 of 105 Old 10-24-2006, 09:49 PM

Not to highjack, but just to comment on what someone said about him being anti-AP....

.... did anyone see the episode a few years ago about over-scheduled babies? There was an AP mom on there and while there were some things she did that I very much didn't agree with, Dr. Phil like totally ripped her a new one. It was pretty sad. Pretty much the only thing they had good to say was that her DC was very well fed. :

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#25 of 105 Old 10-25-2006, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gag!!!

We've been TV-free for 12 years now. Still, I haven't missed this inexplicable Dr. Phil craze. Perhaps he's somehow related to Paris Hilton and Tom Cruise as they are also constantly in the media for doing, um, nothing. I'd much rather read about some nice person who reads to her children and is trying to do her best in the world. Oh, that would be MDC.

I notice in any interview with Dr. Phil -- such as one in Ladies Home Journal a couple of months ago -- that he talks down to people. He seems smug. He seems very mainstream Americana. I think of him and mainstream TV as I do of all of the unappealing strip stores and restaurants which are all the same, nothing special, cardboardish cutouts of cultureless America. There is, on the other hand, so much rich, real, and wonderful culture in America. It's just not on TV.

Maybe Dr. Phil is planted by the GOP to subdue the masses.

peace,
teastaigh
#26 of 105 Old 10-25-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teastaigh View Post
Gag!!!

Maybe Dr. Phil is planted by the GOP to subdue the masses.

peace,
teastaigh

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#27 of 105 Old 10-25-2006, 10:41 AM

Since it was cancelled for showing or date rescheduled would someone please post when they get news. I would like to watch the show if it is aired.
#28 of 105 Old 10-25-2006, 12:33 PM

maybe there was a pre-emptive letter writing assault by homeschoolers as word about another Dr. Phil vs. homeschooling got out?
#29 of 105 Old 10-25-2006, 05:45 PM

My curiosity has been aroused.... I guess I'm going to watch Dr. Phill on Friday.... I never watch day time TV.... but I have to at least see part of this.

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#30 of 105 Old 10-25-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkypoet View Post
Sigh....

The Great School Debate

This is exactly the kink I got from my local (uber tiny) hsing group. There is a parent from RI who was invited. The state might be tiny, but the hsing community is large and connected!

I do not know what the hell this man is thinking!?! Does he honestly think millions & millions of hsers are just going to roll over and acquiesce to the likes of him!??? He must be the only one who ever got the memo where hsers are told to be lemmings.

What a load of horrible Karma for him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page