long ramble with question for you amazing mommas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-23-2006, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if I could hear your thoughts? I have a 3.5 dd with speech delays. She is currently in a preschool program 2 mornings a week and is learning and having so much fun. We've recently moved which is why I put her in the school, we don't know anybody and she is supposed to be around other childen to model their speech. I've always kinda planned on homeschooling her but I haven't done any serious research well because she's not "school age" yet. She is and has always been a delightfully difficult(I hate this but I don't know how else to word it with out making this even longer) child, taking pleasure in doing things her own way or purposly not enjoying some fun activity or something. I've read The Spirited Child and I believe part of this applies to her but really her behavior isn't bad it's more pertaining more to learning things. Like I've never been able to ge her to sing a song or play a game with me, she'll just get this impish look on her face and totally ignore me. Well since she has started school she is singing songs on her own and came into the living room and counted for hide and seek. I was wondering if anybody has had similar experience with something like this? It's like its a big game to her to purposly not learn anything with me but she is obviously learning and enjoying at school. I was just wondering if somebody could point me to info about hsing a child like this. There is just such an overwhelming amount of information and it seems like I am trying to find a needle in a haystack. Do you think I sm just overanalysing and she'll eventually figure out that's it not fun to deny yourself things? I'm just scared she won't ever let me teach her.
Anyway, thank you so much if you've made it this far and have any info or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-23-2006, 06:36 PM

I have a spirited child who can be very challenging in her own ways, though different from your exact experiences. I recommend starting now doing some reading about homeschooling, the time between now and school age will fly by and you need to feel good about your decision long before you have to make things "official".

Personally, with this type of child, I prefer unschooling. I follow dd's lead about what we learn about so as not to have those fights. Also, remember that your dd is probably learning a lot from you, even if she doesn't "perform" for you. You counting her toys and such will stick in her brain, even if she doesn't say it out loud. And most likely that is part of the reason she's now counting- not because of a handful of hours at preschool.

I would also look for classes/activities with other children that you will do when she is school age, as it sounds like she enjoys learning in a group. There are dance classes, music lessons, some times local children's museums, or nature centers will offer classes.

Hope this helps!
Peace,

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#3 of 6 Old 10-23-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma View Post

I would also look for classes/activities with other children that you will do when she is school age, as it sounds like she enjoys learning in a group. There are dance classes, music lessons, some times local children's museums, or nature centers will offer classes.

:

You don't have to do all of the teaching--you have to allow her to learn! Expose her and she'll get it, in her own way, in her own time. Also, in many places, you can get speech therapy through the schools if you so choose. Not to worry!

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#4 of 6 Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies and advice, sometimes we all need gentle reminders don't we? I stayed up waaaay to late last night reading and I feel more confident now. It's funny I can remember when I was pregnant the indignation I felt against the pushing of preschoolers and now that I've been here for a little while I fold and forget everything. I love all the information provided up in the stickies and will keep reading and reminding myself she's only 3. Thank Goodness for Mothering.
Rae
#5 of 6 Old 10-26-2006, 03:14 PM

My daughter is like that. I can't tell you how many times I have been frustrated because she woudln't copy MY words but then would pick up a bad word from a classmate. UGH. She also was very delayed in speech-not saying many words at all until 3 yrs old.

We are still trying to kick the LOSER habit she has been on since hearing it in school. : She now says it at all the wrong times--when she meets a new friend, etc. Wonderful! NOT!
#6 of 6 Old 10-26-2006, 04:19 PM

Your DD sounds just like my oldest DD(minus the speech issues - that would be my 2nd DD). At age 9, she is to the point of actually enjoying what I'm trying to teach her, most of the time. When she was in school, she wouldn't listen to anything I had to say if it was the least bit educational, but her teacher could teach her anything. If I tried to show her how to do something that she wasn't understanding, she would FREAK that her teacher said it was this way. She needed a good bit of deschooling after spending 2.5 yrs in school(Montessori, then PS for 1/2 yr). Over the last 2 yrs, I have learned how to work w/ her and approach things from a better perspective, and she has learned that learning from mom isn't the worst thing in the world. It's a give and take.

You will be able to HS her when the time comes. Allow some time to get to know how you both work together and let go of the stuff that really doesn't matter. For instance, getting my DD to do creative writing or practice handwriting was like pulling teeth. Her handwriting has greatly improved just by letting her write stuff she wants to write when she wants to write it. She will also write a story on her own, but trying to get her to write creatively for a lesson was incredibly painful for both of us. It wasn't worth the fight, and now she is actually enjoying writing.

I agree w/ the PP that mentioned classes. Those would be a very nice complement to HSing, especially for a child that loves learning w/ a group.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page