Mothering Forum banner

Where do you get these workbooks IRL?

839 views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Teensy 
#1 ·
My son has recently been asking me for "schoolwork". Out of desperation one day, I drew up a quickie worksheet for him and he loved it. Now he wants more. I have a Miquon Math workbook that I can give him if that's what he wants. But where do you find all this stuff IRL? I ordered the Miquon math book online. Where have you found stuff like "Explode the Code" and Singapore Math IRL? I thought about going to a teacher supply store but I'm not sure if that's the right direction. He just desperately wants to sit and do some worksheets and as long as he wants that, I'd rather they be good ones.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Explode the Code- Local University bookstore (and with a teacher discount--yay! homeschooling friendly bookstores!)

Singapore Math- Local Math Store

Call around to the bookstores- I have been suprised what bookstores actually do carry! You can also check out Singapore math site, I believe that they have excerpts online.

#4 ·
You can find wonderful things in the FUN-Books catalog - and they carry the Keys To Math series, which consists of simple and clear workbooks.

You can also find lots of things online to print up. Look through these links - Learning, Teaching, & Online Tools. One of them is Artist, Jan Brett's site - lovely stuff! By the way, I don't know how to calculate the cost of printing things - does anyone here know?

- Lillian

#8 ·
If I were you, I would browse through different books in an actual book store so you can decide what works best for you, and then I would order them online (usually cheaper)

Here in the UK is almost impossible to find good workbooks in real book stores (they only seem to sell "homework suplements") so I did an online search for publishers that sold books to schools and found great things!!

As to Math, we are using Singapore and loving it! Someone advised us to also get the homework and test books, and I am really happy we did: the children find that there are not enough exercises for each subject in the workbook.

ETA - Last time I looked, there wasa great sale going on at www.singaporemath.com

#10 ·
It's not unusual for young kids to really get a kick out of worksheets - my theory is that the format helps them make sense out of their new skills.

A google search on "free math (letter, reading, science, whatever) worksheets" or "free math (letter, reading, science, whatever) printables" will yield more than you could ever imagine. Using resources like this will buy you some time, too, to help you figure out what approach is best for him and what you think he might respond to in the long-term.

** It's just occured to me, too, that you might try perusing the "free sources" sticky at the top of this forum. It's not organized by subject, but I'm willing to bet you find lots in there that you'd find useful right now. **

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaos_pie View Post
Last time we discussed singapore math, someone put this out this link
http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm
I did! It is a GREAT 100% free and complete Math curriculum!! It does a lot of "thinking outside the box" type stuff. I am using Singapore primarily, but I often print out things from that website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand View Post
Sorry to OP.

Polihaupt- we live in the UK. Which publishers did you find that were useful or any words to 'google' to shorten my search time. Thanks xxx
I am sending you a PM now with all the info

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by polihaupt View Post
As to Math, we are using Singapore and loving it! Someone advised us to also get the homework and test books, and I am really happy we did: the children find that there are not enough exercises for each subject in the workbook.
We skip many of the workbook exercises and do Intensive Practice instead. When DD1 hits 3A, we'll start Challenging Word Problems as well. Both have more challenging problems than the regular workbooks.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHiddenFees View Post
We skip many of the workbook exercises and do Intensive Practice instead. When DD1 hits 3A, we'll start Challenging Word Problems as well. Both have more challenging problems than the regular workbooks.
I almost bought the intensive practice books but then did not. Are the intensive practice exercises similar to those in the workbook? Are there a lot more of them? Maybe I should order them... we are going through BOTH the work and homework books a bit too fast - DD needs a bit more practice.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by polihaupt View Post
I almost bought the intensive practice books but then did not. Are the intensive practice exercises similar to those in the workbook? Are there a lot more of them? Maybe I should order them... we are going through BOTH the work and homework books a bit too fast - DD needs a bit more practice.
IP problems cover the full range oh workbook problems, but it is assumed that the work is revision so slope is steeper. However, about half the IP problems go beyond the workbook (without introducing new material). Some are more challenging, some are easy IF the student completely understands the material.

I'm not sure whether there are more problems. Perhaps. They are presented in a straightforward way; no games and a bit less white space in the early books.

Have you looked at the CDROMs? Those are great for extra practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.