Anyone homeschooling using Montessori? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-04-2002, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone was using Montessori methods? We just started this year and are always looking for suggestions on making materials, lesson presentations, etc...

- Chelsea
#2 of 5 Old 02-11-2002, 07:20 PM

there are several *great* books you could check out. My favorites are "Montessori Play and Learn" and "I Can Do It! I Can Do It!" The second is not actually a Montessori book but it contains Montessori-type exercises. Some of my personal experiences-washing doll clothes is a favorite activity in our home; making sandpaper letters is a pain in the ass, you can buy them fairly inexpensively; I used "m-n-m mini" tubes to make sound tubes, they work great. A *fabulous* catalog is Montessori-n-such, the have a website too.
#3 of 5 Old 02-11-2002, 08:51 PM

We are just starting. I am in need of great ideas of things to start with kids that are just two, and I also need any tips on where to find a music "curriculum" and arts and crafts curriculum for Montessori for 3 and 4 your olds.

-- Rachel
#4 of 5 Old 02-13-2002, 03:05 AM

http://dbmen.com/MSinfo.htm
I have some links on our family website, we do Natural Structure/montessori at home.
#5 of 5 Old 02-19-2002, 12:57 AM

We have been in the process of making some materials for several months now and introducing exercises informally and inconsistently within that time. We have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. I found the book "Teaching Montessori in the Home, The Pre-School Years" by Elizabeth Hainstock useful for making materials but a little unrealistic -- like cutting out those small letter and # stencils to trace onto dark balsa paper (you have to use the back of the paper and make sure the letter# is reversed when tracing so it turns out right). i liked her suggestion for color tablets: going to a paint store and asking for free samples of the colors, then mounting them to poster board or balsa.

the montessori-n-such catalog IS fabulous!

i'd love to hear more details from people about how exercises are being introduced, how the home environment is set up, how a child's interest is captured, how to have 'school' time while a baby is around (since we're often out of the house when the baby does take a nap), etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page