Mothering Forum banner

Math Ideas - for me?

596 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  SusannahM 
#1 ·
I used to do very well at math - excelled in high school and college calculus, etc. I really enjoyed it. It's been a lot of years, though, and I'm starting to feel my brain go to mush. So, I'm looking for workbooks, etc., that provide math problems - those that do so in a fun way would be ideal, but I can make my own fun, too.

I figure on starting with algebra and geometry and working back up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
I teach test prep courses, and I really enjoy a lot of the the pratice problems in the books we use... I would think any test prep book would have some. GMAT, DAT, OAT, GRE, SAT, ACT....they all have math problem-solving sections.

I think they're fun, anyway.

dar

#6 ·
I agree with Lillian's recommendation of Jacobs' Mathematics book, and will also add his Algebra one. He presents things woven into the fabric of a larger appreciation of the role the ideas play in the world, rather than in that sequential, skill-oriented way that most curricula do. My own math background sounds similar to yours; I excelled at math and loved the symmetry and connectedness of the ideas, but because of the way it was all taught in a discrete, linear fashion, and because I hadn't used it in 20 years, most of it had disappeared. Jacobs' books were a really fun discovery for me.

Miranda

#7 ·
I bought myself the Math U See Pre-algebra program. Math has always been my weak point, and I'm going to college in January. I'm not taking math my first quarter, but I wanted to start doing some math on my own to get comfortable with it, and when I take a class I won't be so afraid. I got the DVD too so I have the actual person explaining things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.