How do your kids get exercise? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering what you moms do with your kids for exercise. In my mind, the absence of gym class is one drawback to homeschooling which I'm not sure how to overcome.

I guess the obvious answer would be "take a walk to the park," but as winter is quickly approaching I have to admit, we won't be going to the park as often. Canadian winters can be very cold!

I am probably going to check out the nearest community centre next week and see if they have any activities my daughter might be interested in (martial arts, dance maybe) but if they don't have anything inexpensive that's feasible for us I'm not sure what I'll do.

Does anyone know of any kids' workout videos? Yoga maybe? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 01:12 PM

Honestly, we don't plan exercise. But, my dd has thinned out since dropping out of school. The sitting in a chair all day thing was horrible for her. That and the getting crap snacks from other kids every day.
#3 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 01:20 PM

We don't plan exercise, either. We go to "park day" once a week, and will be having an indoor "park day" now that winter is coming (renting a space at a community center).

My 14yo plays DDR on Playstation, which is a ton of exercise. My 11yo is a can't-sit-still kid. He wiggles, squirms, bends, and wears his Heelies just about everywhere. He's taken gymnastics and karate here and there. We like to hike and stuff. Every so often we'll do calisthenics or something, but I think that just the general running-around of life is enough for my family. They aren't parked at a desk all day.
#4 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Dar

Currently, my daughter spends 16 hours a week dancing. I think she's got it covered. She also walks and bikes around town...

When she was younger, she played soccer for many seasons, and softball for one, and did a lot of musical theatre, and swam, and played...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#5 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 02:06 PM

Drawback to homeschooling--how? I think it is a drawback to PS...those kids sit all day long at their desks for the most part, for a lot of students sports and gym time are not funded anymore sadly.

My kids just play like kids do. Any child in their natural environment is not going to just sit on their bum ya know? In the summer we swim a lot, go for walks, go to the park, zoo, just normal things. Winter can be harder but they play inside with each other a lot...hide and seek, in the snow, they don't care if it's cold out so I just bundle them up!

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#6 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 02:07 PM

My guys are always on the move! I cant keep them from running everywhere. For elementary age kids I have a few ideas. We made an indoor swing attatched with climbing carabeeners. They detatch easily , and we made a trapeeze attatchment too. A mini trampoline is fun. We also get kids workout videos from the library and also have a good selection of kids yoga books that we have found at the thrift stores. Winters are VERY wet here , but we still get out for a 3k + walk every day. It keeps us sane!

:
#7 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 02:40 PM

They run around outside. We live near a park and have a fenced in backyard. So I just bundle them up and throw them out in the snow. In nicer weather they play in the front yard, riding bikes and scooters.

Ds also takes martial arts classes once a week.
#8 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 03:02 PM

Jump rope, roller skates, nature walks w/hsing group, park days, swimming at the Y in winter, and we meet frequently to roller skate inside at a local rink. We have also gotten together to go sledding when it snows. I am also thinking about getting the children some used cross country skis. Also, never underestimate the value of pick up ball and other games with the nieghbor kids when they come home from school.
#9 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 04:15 PM

My wife does aerobics and belly dancing (videos) with all the kids. Even my three year old son gets in on it. (No one has told him "it's only for girls", so he jumps and hops and stretches and leg-lifts (etc) with all of them...)

The kiddos also take walks (1-2 miles) every pretty day. On days that it's not so pretty, we sometimes go to the mall or Costco just to walk. (I like teaching the kids that you can go to a store, look around and leave without purchasing anything.)

If mamma hasn't felt like doing her aerobics/belly dance, she'll make the kiddos run up and down the stairs 10-20 times.
#10 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 06:00 PM

DS dances 12 hours a week, we do homeschool PE and swimming at the YMCA (M & W), and has gymnastics and a PE class (T&TH). It is a lot but his bio dad's family has severe obesity issues and all the health problems that come along with that.

DD dances only 4 hours a week. Homeschool PE & swimming at the Y (M & W) and Gymnastics on T &TH. She also plays soccer and baseball when the season for it comes around.

I think the YMCA is a good resource to have. They have all of the things you listed. Hope that helps.
#11 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama View Post
Drawback to homeschooling--how? I think it is a drawback to PS...those kids sit all day long at their desks for the most part, for a lot of students sports and gym time are not funded anymore sadly.
I guess it depends on the school...in our area kids in elementary school are required to get 20 minutes of strenuous exercise every day on top of gym class and recess. So my daughter was getting quite a bit of exercise at school. But after reading all the suggestions I realize there is no shortage of ways to get kids moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellorian View Post
If mamma hasn't felt like doing her aerobics/belly dance, she'll make the kiddos run up and down the stairs 10-20 times.
Haha! I like this one--we have a 3 story house, so lots of stairs!

#12 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 07:01 PM

My DD cheers, which right now consists of a 2hr cheer practice, a 2hr tumble practice and lot of practice/conditioning done in between. she also take a 45min aquafitness class at the YMCA. My DS usually has something going on (soccer, gymnasitcs, swim) plus he's always running around the yard and riding his bike and such.
#13 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 07:39 PM

We don't own a car. If she wants to go anywhere, she has to walk (at least to a subway or tram stop, if nothing else). Walking is part of our daily lives. We also go swimming once or twice a week for two to four hours each time. We don't plan "exercise." It just happens.
#14 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 07:48 PM

My kids take ice skating lessons and go to a 2-hour homeschool swim and gym each week. Between those things and chasing the dog around, I think they get plenty of exercise.

Lots of community centers have drop-in or family gym times. Lots of them also have a homeschool gym class. Those would be worth looking into.

Namaste!
#15 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 08:07 PM

From mid April to mid October/November we bike just about everywhere. We spend literally hours hiking, playing at the river, climbing trees, running around. My kids are outside running around every day for at least an hour, often several.
In the winter it can be a bit harder as the outside time can be limited. On days when it is reasonable to do so (ie temp/windchill not below -10) we still hike/walk and the kids love street hockey or skating at the outdoor rink, going sledding, etc.
For most of the winter months (Jan through March) we do try to plan some regular indoor exercise in case the weather has been bad. We do skating lessons and community skate every week for an hour each and we try to walk there and back. My youngest 3 are in dance for an hour a week. The kids do various combinations of swimming lessons, hockey, and are looking at indoor soccer for one of my kids. We can go to a monthly gym night at our local school which is hosted by the community group. There are lots of options.
My sister is a teacher. Sometimes the strenuous exercise in her class is jumping jacks. It's not hard manage at least that in homeschool setting.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#16 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
From mid April to mid October/November we bike just about everywhere. We spend literally hours hiking, playing at the river, climbing trees, running around. My kids are outside running around every day for at least an hour, often several.
That sounds really lovely! I wish we had a place to go hiking. There is a park and open field across the street from us, but beyond that is a huge Ford plant with enormous smokestacks spewing stink into the air. If we go more than two blocks in the other three directions it's busy roads and heavily commercialized areas. We don't live in a very walking-friendly area, that's why I was looking for other ideas. The only park that I know of with anything like hiking trails is about a half hour drive away, and I hate using so much gas just to take a walk...

#17 of 53 Old 11-24-2006, 11:45 PM

Swimming and karate at the Y and our Y also has a big indoor playground that we frequent. Ds jsut leanred to walk to staying up is his exercise

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#18 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
That sounds really lovely! I wish we had a place to go hiking.

Yeah - we are very very blessed that way. I love where we live.
I know I am a broken record but have you hooked up wtih a homeschool group locally? They may have some ideas or activities to offer.

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#19 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 01:00 AM

For the days when we don't get outside, I've hung a swinging rope ladder in one room in our house, and we have a mini trampoline. It helps a lot !

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
#20 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 04:41 AM

We get some fairly cold days here in Colorado too. My guys are very outside active in the warmer months and in the winter they still get out and ride their bikes if the sun is shining and the roads are clear of snow...they just wear warmer coats is all. We also have a treadmill in the house that they both walk on fairly regularly on those way too cold or biting of a windchill to get outside. Every so often they pop in the Tai Chi DVD or Pliates and see if they can do the workouts. I'm nearing the point of disability with kidney disease that I'll be ordering a low impact workout for myself...and I can bet you anything both kids will be doing those DVD's with me. My 12yr old dd also used to go to Curves with me when I was still able too....doctors have nixed that until after I get my transplant though due to weird blood pressure issues on my part.
#21 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 06:30 AM

It's been a very rainy month so we haven't been going outside much, but my kids definitely are still getting excersize. They invented a game that involves chasing each other at high speeds up and down the hallway. I am so thankful that our downstairs neighbor has two children and understands the noise.

There is a playground at our apt. complex, so when we do get outside we frequently walk down to there. We also like to take walks around the neighborhood.

We also have a Pilates dvd that the kids think is a hoot ~ they love to put it in and try to do the workouts. Dancing is another fun indoor excersize ~ put in a cd and break it on down together.
#22 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 AM

we live in thr tropics and don't have a car. we're less than a 10 min walk to the pool. dd1 also takes gymnastics 2 hrs a week, and tennis 1 hr a week.

year-round warm wather does make it easier to go outside spontaneously.

although, to be fair, we just got bacj from vacation in a cool climate, and it was so neat, that that was the most tomr we;d spent outide in a while. vur i'm from a place with cjanging seasoons, so iknow the novelty wears off,

pkease rxcuse typos. nak

wow there are a lot
#23 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 10:03 AM

We have park day and a huge backyard so that helps we go for family evening walks weather allowing!

Alexis is in Dance and Karate
#24 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
Yeah - we are very very blessed that way. I love where we live.
I know I am a broken record but have you hooked up wtih a homeschool group locally? They may have some ideas or activities to offer.

Karen
Yes I have joined a local NFL message board where there are some homeschoolers who organize group activities like daytime swimming lessons and gymnastics (although no new activities on the horizon for now). I also have the phone number (from the OFTP website) for a lady who heads a different group--I'm not sure if this one is still "operational" but I'm planning on calling her next week.

Jessielove I had thought of putting in a CD and dancing with the kids--I'm sure they would find it HILARIOUS to see their ol' mum "break it down."

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas--I'm sure now that I won't have any problems keeping the kids active.

#25 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 12:42 PM

Exercise is not a problem for my 4 year old. Sitting still for 5 minutes is. If he were in school they would be drugging him for sure just to get him to sit still. He runs and jumps and does cartwheels and somersaults all the time.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#26 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 03:04 PM

My daughter dances 5 days a week. She also cheers at games a couple weekends per month. In the spring or summer she'll likely pick up gymnastics again when we have more $$.

Both the kids do a homeschool swim and gym class once a week through the Y. I suggest looking into your local Y or community center if you need something for your kids to do.
#27 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 06:12 PM

We go to a homeschool gymnastics class once a week (next week is the last week until January....<sigh>

I agree that with winter coming we Canadians have a tendancy to hibernate LOL so I decided to get a paper route for my 4.5 year old this year. I am actually the one "in charge" of the route obviously but he and his little sister go with me every day when we do papers and Rhys delivers the ones that he is actually able to reach. It means that we have to go outside for a walk every day for about 45 minutes (its only 18 papers but kids walk slower than adults LOL).

Overall I must say that it has been a very positive experience. Rhys gets a small amount of spending money every week and the other half we put into a savings account for him. The savings account money isn't ever touched until you get married or go to school or apprenticeship or training of some sort (that is how DHs parents did it and I really liked that idea).

So its a win/win...plus no matter how yucky it is outside I know we *have* to go for a walk each and every day!

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#28 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I was just wondering what you moms do with your kids for exercise. In my mind, the absence of gym class is one drawback to homeschooling which I'm not sure how to overcome.

I guess the obvious answer would be "take a walk to the park," but as winter is quickly approaching I have to admit, we won't be going to the park as often. Canadian winters can be very cold!

I am probably going to check out the nearest community centre next week and see if they have any activities my daughter might be interested in (martial arts, dance maybe) but if they don't have anything inexpensive that's feasible for us I'm not sure what I'll do.

Does anyone know of any kids' workout videos? Yoga maybe? Any ideas would be appreciated.
PS doesn't have gym class anymore so I don't see this as something I need to replace. Just the fact that my kids are allowed out of their seat and to move around when they want is more "exercise than PS kids get around here. Anything else is just extra. I don't push exercise. I encourage them to be active and allow them to interpret how they wish. I would prefer they grow up being active than being taught the MUST exercise.
#29 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Jessielove I had thought of putting in a CD and dancing with the kids--I'm sure they would find it HILARIOUS to see their ol' mum "break it down."
Oh, it is. All of us usually end up in a big heap on the floor, giggling. It's so much fun.
#30 of 53 Old 11-25-2006, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, where do you live that they removed gym class from school? That's pretty bad...:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page