Any Waldorf-insprired HSers looking to get back on the wagon? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2007, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dear Everyone,

I am just so grateful for this thread. You know, we all seem to "think" better when we're together and I have missed this type of support. The past few days I have been doing some planning/writing out lessons and this group has been a total inspiration to me.

Mimiharshe- That does sound like a wonderful day, and very inspiring. You'll have to share more about BriteMusic.

Everyone-I would totally love a monthly thread! Thanks for starting it Annette and congrads on feeling upbeat about the transition back at your house. I probably normally won't write so terribly much - sorry. I've enjoyed this break from our routine while DH was home, and I've gotten SO much done: chemistry, Ancient Britain, Rome, and Geometry are planned out for my sixth grader; and nature study, blends, movement,and my winter/spring gardening curricula are ready for my first-grader.

Best wishes,

Lucie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara View Post
I certainly second this! We recently did a big toy de-clutter, slowly replacing the non-quality toys with more natural open ended toys and cleaning out the playspace. It was a big eye opener to me because a) her play changed considerably (it seems just less "aggressive" to me if that makes sense ... gentler, more peaceful, with more involved and detailed stories to it) and b) she actually plays IN the playroom. I think before it was SO cluttered and there were SO many toys to choose from that she was overwhelmed. Scaling down has been one of the best things we have done so far on our Waldorf journey.
This is great! I too have been downscaling toys and putting a lot in the closet to rotate out. I just wanted to ask if you have any kind of or specific toys you recommend? Anyone else? Being new to this, I'm trying to identify what is non quality and what is good quality?!

I too am more of a spontaneous person and I don't think it's trivial at all that you are pointing out how you go w/a rhythum instead of a timed schedule. I'm sure alot of moms here are the same. It just depends on our personalities. Some people thrive off a time schedule while others just get stressed over it and vice versa (sp). We too are working on a flow and getting away from the schedule dh and my friends were telling me I had to be on!

Thanks for the link, I will check it out!

January
Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 AM

Annette...thank you . This thread has inspired me to finally be ok, ready and happy to h'school. Thank you for starting it! BTW how did you approach this heart to heart w/dh. My dh is great and on board, but I'm still trying to understand Waldorf myself and get a flow. How do I get hime "on board" w/me?

Lucie, thanks! You were a big part of why my day went the way it did! Oh, Brite Music. https://www.britemusic.com/default.aspx I forgot how I heard about it, but I was having a hard time w/dd listening (the only thing I really have a hard time w/her...plenty of sleep, good diet help and hands on work help). Anyways, I bought the whole set b/c I thought it would help and it did. The Land of Obey and Gratitude cd especially is seems. The Land of Obey takes you on an imaginary train ride w/ "mr Did" and "Mr Didn't" to this Land of Obey. It was a great thing to relate to when trying to communicate to her. The Grattitude on had taught my kiddos (yes, my 19 mo. old too...he loves it and sings the songs) "grattitude attitudes" as we call them. Oh, there's also books that come along w/the cd's. They love them and it gives me different ways of relating what I want to say to them. I believe they were done in the late 70's, early 80's so there is some cheesiness but we love them. Also, I thinkk they were done by a Christian woman, but there is nothing in them "Christian" for those of you who are not, except good values trying to be instilled, which I think all of us are trying to do, right?:

Sorry if this is too long, I just wanted to address your question!

J

Edited b/c I had more time to think and there might be mention of God in the Brite Music, so don't quote me on that!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Also, do we want to make this a monthly thing and start a January thread? I'm really digging the comradery and friendship here, and would love to make this an ongoing this!
Yes, let's! Everytime I start thinking about how to get organized and really serious about hs, I just get overwhelmed and say in my mind, we can always just send her to public school. Ugh. I know what is the best for her, I just can't seem to wrap my mind around how to go about it, yk? I am finding this thread so inspiring and so motivational. I've been thinking ever since she was born, I have time to figure out how to do this, but here she is, 4, and so ready! I guess part of my problem is trying to figure out where to find the time to get organized! Really gotta do it. And coming here helps me. I just kinda throw in "lessons" when I see something interesting. The other night, dh had a carbeurator (sp?) in the house, (clean, of course) and so I started telling the kids how it works and what it is for. Dh jumped in and took over, (he loves all things cars!), and by the end, dd was naming different parts (boosters, air bleed valves, float), and what things went where (gas goes in here, air goes in here). It was fun and we just kept going until we lost her interest. AND the other day, we made yogurt (for the first time ever) and were talking about why we scald the milk, add starter, keep it warm... the next day, the kids got to eat it. That was fun. Hmmm... I guess I feel like talking today! We are organizing art supplies today, that's my main objective. Then perhaps a bit of painting. Oh! And I am going to dig out the kids brooms and dustpan. Haven't seen those in a while!! I almost forgot we owned them.

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

Old 01-02-2007, 02:10 PM

Today is day on of our restart and we're going to take it one step at a time. It's art week!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseiler View Post
One of the things I love about the Waldorf approach is the arts/crafts/drawing emphasis. What do you do if you have a child that just doesn't like to color/draw/paint? I don't push but I keep hoping. So far he does a few craft progects here and there but nothing that would be average for his age (which is 5 BTW, and he does very little that is "average" for his age, LOL). He is very creative but not into hand on crafts and art.
Have you sat down with you child to teach drawing, painting? Maybe the problem is he is intimidated by the idea of making a whole picture? Start with getting him familiar with colors. Like set up painting for blue. Then allow him to experience blue water colors using various strokes and different sized brushes.

What materials are you using? I have found that using beeswax crayons, nice colored pencils, good quality paper, brushes, and water paints makes a huge difference.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
This part is what I'll have a hard time w/. We go stir crazy w/o outside activity/play. Maybe doing the daily walk will combat that. Plus, my first thought when I read this is "and then what? what about all the fill in time that my kids want to be doing something?" i guess that's when i encourage them to play, use their imagination, or do activities/crafts at home?!
Your activities should go back and forth throughout the day between expanding and contracting. Outside play is very important for every child everyday. Keep reading all you can and implement a little more every week. Waldorf will be just as nourishing to you as it will be to your child. I'm really excited for you!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:23 PM

Here's a link to the Waldorf hs support thread for January.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...43#post6895843
Old 01-03-2007, 01:29 AM

Hey Mama Kass [& other experienced "Waldorf at home" moms]--
I'm really interested in this thought of yours: "Waldorf will be just as nourishing to you as it will be to your child." Can you tell me how this has been true in your life? I'd love your thoughts and specific examples. Thanks! --Nancy
Old 01-03-2007, 12:32 PM

Hi Nancy,
I'd love to share!

Through Waldorf I have learned how to spend really peaceful, joyful days with my children. Our home does not have chaos. It has rhythm. I have learned that through rhythm our home flows peacefully and we live in harmony. It is a beautiful way to live.

Waldorf education has taught me to be a better homemaker, mother, and teacher. I have become a very good house keeper and this feels good. I've learned to knit. I've learned to felt, paint, and draw. I have become a regular baker. I have always enjoyed singing, but now have learned hundreds of songs. I have become a great story teller. Through Waldorf I have become an artist! I am always learning new things and working on myself. The Waldorf way of life is a journey for my own soul. Best of all, since it is Waldorf at home I can use what I want and leave the rest.

When I am engaged, my children become engaged and this is soul-enriching to us all. I wish I would have been raised in a Waldorf home. It is nourishing to me to give my children a way of life that I would have loved.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:43 PM

MamaKass,

That was pure poetry - what a great way to start today's prep. It is so reaffirming to hear that others feel the same way I do, though I have to admit that I'm still working on the housekeeping end, but I'm doing much better than before. Waldorf has nourished my soul and healed my creative impulse. There is nothing more magical than watching the faces of young children as you tell a story from the heart.

Lucie
Old 01-03-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass View Post
Hi Nancy,
I'd love to share!

Through Waldorf I have learned how to spend really peaceful, joyful days with my children. Our home does not have chaos. It has rhythm. I have learned that through rhythm our home flows peacefully and we live in harmony. It is a beautiful way to live.

Waldorf education has taught me to be a better homemaker, mother, and teacher. I have become a very good house keeper and this feels good. I've learned to knit. I've learned to felt, paint, and draw. I have become a regular baker. I have always enjoyed singing, but now have learned hundreds of songs. I have become a great story teller. Through Waldorf I have become an artist! I am always learning new things and working on myself. The Waldorf way of life is a journey for my own soul. Best of all, since it is Waldorf at home I can use what I want and leave the rest.

When I am engaged, my children become engaged and this is soul-enriching to us all. I wish I would have been raised in a Waldorf home. It is nourishing to me to give my children a way of life that I would have loved.
That is awesome! Now it's just a matter of us newbies learning exactly what Waldorf means as a whole...how to apply it to our daily rhythm w/our kids.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:21 PM

Holistic education has given me a way to continue the journey of attachment parenting and natural family living. It has slowed me down, helped me weed out the non-priorities, and taught me to find meaning in each day. Enki, in particular, has brought me to the place where I actively seek to find the wisdom, vitality, and compassion in myself and others.

Waldorf...Enki...Holistic Education: whatever you call it, I find that it is about relationships. Relationships with each other, relationships with plants and animals, really, relationships with the world. It is about spending your life focused on relationsips instead of superficialities.

The crafting, singing, and baking...that was already part of who I was; Waldorf helped validate me. Waldorf really helped me to connect to the person I was when I was younger and so alive, and not jaded from the work/money treadmill. I have a new sense of purpose, a way of connecting with others that keeps the flame in my heart burning bright.

It has given me tools that keep me attached to my children because I understand them so very well.

Enki brought it all together for me, more so than Waldorf. Waldorf was much more about method for me, ideas about environment and rhythm. Anthroposophy didn't do it for me though - there was a disconnect. After a couple of years immersed in Waldorf, and then more than a year immersed in Enki, I have assimilated the philosophies and changed them to suit me.

Holistic learning and living has brought me peace.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberMama View Post
Waldorf...Enki...Holistic Education: whatever you call it, I find that it is about relationships. Relationships with each other, relationships with plants and animals, really, relationships with the world. It is about spending your life focused on relationsips instead of superficialities.
I love this! Yes, it is true for me too.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:39 AM

I'm jumping on the wagon!

I'm so happy I stumbled across this thread! We use Oak Meadow and DD (5) and I love it, but I'm ashamed to admit that the past six months have been void of any real rhythm and consistency. DS just turned five months and I need to get back on track. I don't understand how I got this far off....:

Our lives were much more calm and peaceful when we followed our daily and weekly routines. The house was always clean, DD and I were both happier, and life seemed so much less chaotic. Starting tomorrow I'm going to quit beating myself up about how much I haven't gotten done and do what I can and enjoy it.

Thank you all for your inspiration!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:47 AM

could not find the quiet time I needed this week to plan, so how's about you help me "cheat" here . . . give me one or two great ideas for a fairy tale/story this week? I have Seasons of Joy (winter), plus a great library at my disposal. I will get there, but I figure this easy "push" from one of you in the know might jump-start us this week. can't hurt to ask, right? thanks! --Nancy
Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 AM

OakdaleMama...last week we did The Story of the Snow Children by Elsa Beskow and we made snow children pictures and did snow children dances and hung the pictures on our front windows welcoming the snow children to our home.

As far as getting into things again after a month of holidays and sickness here, I created a chart with our days and hung it up in our dining room...I started with the week days...Monday Baking Day, Tuesday Painting Day, etc. for each day of the week. Then next to that I wrote down a general daily rhythm that I would like to follow again....breakfast, circle time, play time, art time, nature walk, etc. That way it is right in front of me and my dd and I've always found that helpful when we are seeking a new rhythm or getting back into one after some time off....

It really helped me this morning when I woke up because I don't have to expend effort at 7am to think about what we are going to do that day and I don't feel overwhelmed and lazy just thinking about all that I want to accomplish. I truly am working on being mindfully focused on the task in front of me and giving my children true focus so they feel mama has given them proper attention and not just "flighty" attention.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakdaleMama View Post
could not find the quiet time I needed this week to plan, so how's about you help me "cheat" here . . . give me one or two great ideas for a fairy tale/story this week? I have Seasons of Joy (winter), plus a great library at my disposal. I will get there, but I figure this easy "push" from one of you in the know might jump-start us this week. can't hurt to ask, right? thanks! --Nancy
We are doing "The Mitten," which is in Annette's winter book and is great to act out with winter animals. We are also doing "The Shoemaker and the Elves," which is a continuation of the christmas spirit. The Russian folktale "The Snow Child," or the book The Snow Children are also great for Jan, although we have been calling King Winter for Snow and he has not responded. That reminds me, Elsa Beskow's book Ollie's Ski Trip is another nice winter story.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wrong thread, LOL!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 PM

Annette, that sounds great We've been sloooooowly getting back to our roots here. I am beginning some FIAR with Ben this week to incorporate into our circle time, puppet play and handwork. This week we are doing Owl Moon. I wonder if FIAR or Story Stretchers would have some math or LA lessons to try? I also ordered your Winter curriculum and am figuring out if I should just print it or keep coming back to it online. I really like it so far.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 02-07-2007, 02:20 AM

I would like to join this group. I have recently been thinking of sending my daughter to pre-school but what I would really like is to form a co-op. I haven't found too many other Waldorfy people in my area - South Texas.

One of the things I have a hard time with Waldorf in Texas, is the seasons - we only have one - HOT!

Also, I'm kind of new to message boards - only on one other - so hopefully I'll do ok!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Come join us over on the February thread!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=607524

And welcome to MDC!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

User Tag List