Any Waldorf-insprired HSers looking to get back on the wagon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2006, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, I've been pregnant and sick and sort of grouchy and have left a lot go. One of my New Year's resolutions is to get back on the Waldorf wagon. I want to get my newsletters going again because they really kept me grounded, I want to get back into the habit of circle time (we've been hit or miss lately), I want to get back in a weekly rhythm. Anyone care to join me in a supportive thread?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2006, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm kind of waldorf-y. Kind of unschool-y. Yes, I know those are really different things. Best description: we have a value of having a "real childhood," value play and time spent outside. We learn a lot of real things together and tell each other wonderful stories.

I'd love to be supportive/get support from other families doing this!
Old 12-21-2006, 06:39 PM

:
Old 12-21-2006, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Just bumping...

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 12-21-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
I'm kind of waldorf-y. Kind of unschool-y. Yes, I know those are really different things. Best description: we have a value of having a "real childhood," value play and time spent outside. We learn a lot of real things together and tell each other wonderful stories.

I'd love to be supportive/get support from other families doing this!
Us, too!

Trying to get things going here with my kiddos. Today we have cabin fever...rainy, yucky day...no gas to go anywhere

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
Old 12-21-2006, 09:30 PM

I'll join your support thread! We still use your preschool materials almost every week. In fact we just had lots of fun making up jack frost stories trying to get jack frost to visit a bit more (it has been ridiculously warm here).

I am planning to begin a scaled down first grade with my 6yo in Jan, and still continue with the preschool stuff for my 3yo, so I could use the support as well. I need to tinker with our rhythm a bit to fit in the first grade main lesson and still do circle.

Oh, and we have been pretty hit or miss with the circle since about halloween. I am planning my Jan circle now, and will post it as soon as it is finished.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:13 PM

almost 4 year dd, also lean towards a waldorfy-unschooling method of madness... would love to join this thread.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:42 PM

I've actually just recently been trying to research waldorf and unschooling methods. I find it all completely overwhelming and I'd love to have a place to come and get ideas!

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

Old 12-22-2006, 04:03 AM

We are Waldorf/Unschoolish too. I would love to chat a bit and have some ideas and support getting more rhythm in our day.

Denise

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
Old 12-22-2006, 06:29 AM

Dear Annette,

This is a great idea! We've been sick - first me for over a week, then my eldest, now my husband...and my extended family arrives tomorrow! Despite our efforts to stay in rhythm, we have fallen into a sort of sloppy daily rhythm with only a couple of elements staying firm through the holidays. Our weeks have totally been off as we've had to miss almost all of our activities.

We'll be needing support as we work our way back into a healthy rhythm.

Lucie
Old 12-22-2006, 12:11 PM

Old 12-22-2006, 01:45 PM

We had a lovely waldorfy solstice celebration last night that the kids just loved (much of this is inspired by and "stolen" from Lucie's wonderful site).

While we were at ballet, dh turned off all the lights, laid out a cold supper, and lit one candle in the living room. When we got home we all gathered in front of the fireplace and the girls, dh and I each lit another candle and said a solstice prayer. Then we read the festival of lights story from the tiptoes lightly Festival of Stones book. We have been reading these stories throughout the advent season. We did not do the advent spiral as described in the book, but maybe next year I can get my act together to do it. Then we had a cold supper by candlelight from the advent wreath. We kept all the lights out until the girls were asleep, so they got to take a bath and do their nightly stories by candlelight.

This morning we made pumpkin/squash muffins and watched the sun come up. They each got a felted sun necklace from the christmas elf.

So thanks Lucie for all the inspiration!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:08 PM

Dear Jessica,

Thank YOU. You know, people are always sharing such beautiful ideas with Wonderfest, I just feel really honored to be able to host it. I have learned SO much from all of the reverent family experiences...sort of like learning from each other here, but in a different vein. I am so grateful! Grasping something sacred so regularly is my fave part of Waldorf.

Happy Solstice for those of you celebrating today! Happy Hanukkah for everyone who's celebrating tha miracle, and Merry Christmas!

Lucie
Old 12-22-2006, 04:39 PM

I would like to begin again too! I think the first of the year is a perfect time. We have been doing mostly crafts all day for the last week and I want to get into telling more stories and having the children chime in with their beautiful imaginations. I would also like to have a morning dream circle time where we can share anything or our dreams together with a candle for illumination.

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Jessica, that was beautiful!

And thank you all for being supportive. I feel like such a hypocrite lately. I believe so much in this, but I've been so, so sick that I just haven't been able to devote the time and energy. We've been using k12 for Katie Grace because I felt like it was the only way I could keep her home, and now I just want out. And I want to get back to the gentleness and mindfulness of it all. I want this baby to have the gentle infancy and toddlerhood the other two have. I want the TV and computer to be less of an influence. I was things to be peaceful again.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Jessica, that was beautiful!

And thank you all for being supportive. I feel like such a hypocrite lately. I believe so much in this, but I've been so, so sick that I just haven't been able to devote the time and energy. We've been using k12 for Katie Grace because I felt like it was the only way I could keep her home, and now I just want out. And I want to get back to the gentleness and mindfulness of it all. I want this baby to have the gentle infancy and toddlerhood the other two have. I want the TV and computer to be less of an influence. I was things to be peaceful again.

Our wants seem the same.

Do you have any links to learn more about some of the concepts of waldorf? Honestly....I haven't looked into a lot because it kinda spooked me out. : I think I am ready now though

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-22-2006, 08:36 PM

I'm also hoping to do waldorfy/unschooling with dd. So far we just try to spend a ton of time outside (we are in FL so it's about 80 degrees right now!) and doing our daily chores inside together. I try to use as little mechanical help as possible, like sweeping vs vacuum, cooking from scratch on the stove/oven, ect. She's only 21 months now, so we aren't really 'doing' activities other than living life yet! I am stumped sometime as to what a day in the life of a waldorf/unschooling house looks like....I'd love to see a list or link of things to do with toddlers/3's-5's that are Waldorfy...
Old 12-22-2006, 11:25 PM

Us, too! We are Waldorf-inspired though we don't practice much of it. We mostly unschool but the boys are at a friend's Waldorf-homeschooled house 2 days each week so they get in some great nature walks and creative play there. At home we mostly just live life. They are active participants in the housework and cooking.
I would like to get a little more Waldorfy in that we have to prepare a portfolio for the school board review and that will be Waldorf inspired work.
Great idea for a thread!

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
Old 12-23-2006, 01:25 AM

AngelBee, a good place to start for Waldorf homeschooling info on the net is www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com and the link to wonderactivist's page in her signature.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:25 PM

I've just visited Winter Winderfest! Yay! I love it and so will my babes!
ETA: I love, love, love the Winter Spiral!

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

Old 12-23-2006, 03:35 PM

I'm subbing ... we are Enki Homeschoolers, but I also have Waldorf leanings (and love your PreK materials!). I am just starting Enki for my kinder and elements of the waldorf PreK materials for my middle son after the New Year, and am such a newbie with it all! So, I'm going to be reading and learning. (That so sounds jumbled to me; I'm trying to type with a very whiney 5 year old behind me! )

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 12-23-2006, 03:56 PM

We are Waldorf-Unschoolers too. I had no idea that there were so many! Waldorf is something I always incorporate, but sometimes I am more heavy into it than others. Something about it always draws me back. Then once I get to far into Waldorf I am drawn back to unschooling. I guess that is waldorf all in its own since it is rhythm, and unschooling all in its own since it is moving between interests.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:06 PM

I'm interested in getting back into a Waldorf inspired homeschooling program. We had originally planned on using Oak Meadow curriculum which is Waldorf inspired but then sent our oldest DD to public preschool for some behavior issues (classic "ADD" type symptoms, just like DH and I). She was tested "positive" for the special needs program. Her first teacher we didn't like, but she retired, so we got the hippy teacher we had heard great things about. She did a lot of circle time and finger plays and crafts with the kids. She was awsome! But she just moved so DD got transfered to the preschool near our home (which is in a middle school, ugh!). The teacher seemed nice enough but DD started bringing home worse behaviors than the ones we had originally sent her to school to get "fixed".j : So we pulled her out and I'm looking at getting started with some kind of Waldorf curriculum after the new year.

Question though. Can Waldorf inspired learning work with Christian parenting? I'm fairly liberal and do love to honor the seasons especially since I'm into natural/outdoorsy stuff and DH and I have very deep Celtic roots (Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English, French blood), but we do deify Christ in our home. Many orthodox Christians I know would see many aspects of Waldorf as "Pagan" based. I guess I don't see it that way, but am really looking to have a happy medium between our faith and the type of imaginative Waldorf based homeschooling curriculum I want to use. Hope that makes sense!

Student Mama of Three
Old 12-23-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo_mom View Post
Question though. Can Waldorf inspired learning work with Christian parenting? I'm fairly liberal and do love to honor the seasons especially since I'm into natural/outdoorsy stuff and DH and I have very deep Celtic roots (Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English, French blood), but we do deify Christ in our home. Many orthodox Christians I know would see many aspects of Waldorf as "Pagan" based. I guess I don't see it that way, but am really looking to have a happy medium between our faith and the type of imaginative Waldorf based homeschooling curriculum I want to use. Hope that makes sense!
The spiritual basis of waldorf is anthroposophy, which is a spiritual science developed by rudolph steiner. That said, I find waldorf, especially waldorf homeschooling, compatible with and adaptable to a variety of religious traditions. I am a Unitarian, so we are used to borrowing from many religious traditions - Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Pagan, Buddhist. Our waldorf coop has a couple Jewish families, a couple Christian families, and some mixed secular, Pagan and Christian families. I do think it is important to learn a bit about anthroposophy, because the development of the waldorf curriculum was based on a spiritual understanding of the child. But, the beauty of homeschooling is that you can take what works for you and leave what doesn't.

For example, we celebrate Christmas, but we also celebrate solstice. I love the way the celebrations of this season meld together so well, with the celebration of the return of the sun, the light of Christ, the Chanukah miracle of lights... To me, it is no accident that all these traditions celebrate light in darkness this time of year, both literally and metaphorically. And it helps me to remember that Christian traditions and beliefs developed surrounded by pagan beliefs and traditions. So, I suppose it's a matter of what you are comfortable with.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:46 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I live in a fanatically religious area. People here are either Mormon or anti-mormon. LOL I'm exmormon and sorta kinda Christian (liberal) and I really don't want my kids growing up viewing people as labels - Christian/non-Christian, Mormon/non-Mormon, Jewish, Muslim, etc. I really just want them to grow up and see people as people, if that makes sense. I think that is why I'm always drawn to Waldorf, because it seems to do just that. Thanks again!

Student Mama of Three
Old 12-27-2006, 02:51 PM

We're holistic learners too...influenced by Enki and Waldorf and Unschooling! I love Enki, but it has limitations in terms of resources available. Philosophy-wise it is a better fit for us than pure Waldorf. I do have to move outisde of Enki to get the resources we need, so I have lots of Donna Simmon's materials. I recently ordered and am awaiting the arrival of Sonrisas Spanish Curriculum.

However, not matter what we try to do, I find myself always spinning around unschooling. Even Enki and Waldorf adapted to home learning has school elements that seem so unnecessary to me. So we are probably the most relaxed Enki homelearners on the planet. We aren't radical unschoolers...I strew the path with Enki and Waldorf and then take my children walking on that path.

Anyway, we're moving back toward a better daily rhythm...or we will be as soon as we get DH sent back to work!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Good morning, Mamas!

We are ditching the charter school! I am so thrilled.

So, do you have any goals for January? Mine are:

1. Go on a short walk every morning before we start "school".

2. Get back into the circle time groove.

3. Get back into a weekly art routine (Handwork on Monday, color on Tuesday, paint on Wednesday, model on Thursday, seasonal craft on Friday)

Old 12-27-2006, 03:09 PM

I'm confused. (What's new?) You are ditching the homeschool? Please help my sleep deprived brain.

Oh, and the next 1 1/2 weeks is for me to establish our daily rhythm so that when dh goes back to work we can get our groove on. Squirming babe is currently in arms so I'll post more of what I'm planning later.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 12-27-2006, 03:09 PM

January Goals:

Daily walk for movement; I'd love for us to learn a few verses while we walk. The walk is so important on so many levels: physical activity, nature exploration, getting the dog out of the house, experiencing weather....

Do a short morning lesson 3 days a week with Enki materials. We'll be starting a 7 week block cycle, with 3 weeks of humanities and 3-4 weeks of mathematics, all within the container of African/American culture. So we'll read an African trickster tale and study MLK Jr. as our sage for the first 3 weeks, then move to reviewing the four processes.

Create a balance between guided and non-guided projects. We just received new Lyra colored Ferbys (in colors other then the basics we use for Enki), so drawing can be a "new" independent project (they were kind of burned out on crayons). I ordered them Lyra blackboard chalk and will move chalk drawing to an independent project. I need to set up a wax warming station. I move heavily into my own handwork this time of year, so rather than forcing specific handwork I am going to see where their interests lead them. I received a small handloom for Christmas and I imagine they will want to help with that.

It's all really evolving for me. I know I'm not going to be as structured as a traditional Enki family would be, and that I will be blending in a lot of my unschooling philosophy. I give my children permission to not knit or play recorder until they are ready to and interested in either one.

The big January goal for me is to work on environment via decluttering and organization, as well as arranging our spaces to be inviting and functional for us.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I'm confused. (What's new?) You are ditching the homeschool? Please help my sleep deprived brain.
Whoops! Pregnant brain. We're ditching the charter school.

User Tag List