Waldorf HS Support Thread January - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 230 Old 01-07-2007, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
Well, since Jessica brought up the movies, that goes along w/my question. Do all of you do ZERO tv?
We don't do zero TV. I know the TV is not how I want to parent, but it slips in. I think the only way to honestly do zero TV is to not have it in the house, and I'm not willing to do that--I like TV for me And I would looooove to tell you that I only choose quality, educational shows for the kids. Nah, they like Kim Possible just as much as Zooboomafoo.

What I do do though is limit TV during the week. When we're humming along, the girls watch no TV M-F. They may watch TV on Saturdays and Sundays (though during football season, my need to watch the COWBOYS trumps all (oh how those 'Boys break my heart : )). On Saturdays and Sundays, I try to limit it to either a movie or 1-2 half-hour shows.

Having the TiVo has really helped, because if there's something the girls really want to watch, they know we can record it and they can watch it on their TV days. It helps.
#62 of 230 Old 01-07-2007, 11:20 AM

MLW, Thanks for sharing so much! I love the idea of using fingerplays etc for end of quiet time and settling in time; I've been stumbling a bit there. And the family meeting sounds great, it would help my 5 yr old a lot to talk about the week ahead together so he knows whats coming up. Thanks again!
#63 of 230 Old 01-07-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Question: what do your weekends look like? <snip> Does anyone else keep their basic rhythm even on the weekend when dp/dh is home, but just add in other activities that match the flow?
Nah. We totally relax on the weekends. We have some structure provided by Mara's ballet (she has two classes on Saturdays), and Dave usually has some sort of band practice on either Saturday or Sunday most weekends. Sometimes we get together with friends and go bowling or something fun. Or we might hit the bookstore as a family. Or this might be my day to sneak out and hang out with my sister and get pedicures I do love pedicure day with my sister!

I will say that, if I feel we haven't finished what I wanted to get done during the week, we will certainly work on a Saturday or a Sunday. I guess that's the benefit of homeschooling (and of having a Dave who sleeps late most mornings--we can get work done before he wakes up!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by konamama View Post
just wondering - when folks on this thread are speaking of "doing waldorf at home" they are talking about circle time, rhythm, crafts. are folks also offering academic subjects via a waldorf method (if kids are old enough)? <snip> and if folks do introduce formal academics do you use a waldorf curriculum? oak meadow, live education!, waldorf without walls, or piece different things together that are waldorf based OR do you take a variety of homeschooling materials and adapt it to the waldorf method.
Kona, we do academic lessons with my fourth grader (Mara) and kindy-plus with my 6yo, Daisy.

Most days I try to do some kind of warm-up activities, even if it doesn't look like what any Waldorf teacher would call "circle time." The intent is to get the kids moving, and if that's a morning nature walk whilst we sing a few seasonal songs, so be it. If that's a quick game with the beanbags (age appropriate) and a morning verse, that's cool too. Honestly, it's hard to do circle time with only three people!! And my youngest doesn't like circle time when it's just the three of us. She's much more responsive/better behaved in our homeschooling co-op's circle time than she ever is at home. I've got to respect that she wants to run around, yes, and then sit and read a book with me.

Curriculum... I put together my own with bits and pieces from:
* The Chiron Waldorf Homeschooling Intensives (week-long training up in Toronto in my specific grade--fabulous!)
* Path of Discovery
* Millennial Child (for the block schedule)
* Marsha Johnson/Waldorf Home Educators list
* Donna Simmons's Overview and grade-specific audio download

We also use the occasional worksheet (usually math practice/drill/review), and we love our Tuesday Tea Time with Ambleside Online's art appreciation prints/guidelines.

I will tell you, it took me years to be able to wrok up to piecing it together myself. The first year I had Enki grade one--the first, three-binder, two boxes of masters, horribly organized, terribly expensive, experiment from Beth and Enki. I understand it has gotten better now, but working with it taught me that no matter if you use a box curriculum or not, there's always going to be more prep than you imagined. The second year, I did PoD, Donna Simmons, Chiron (it was my first year at the Intensives). Third grade was more Chiron than anything else, and this year feels the same. I feel really in control of what's going on in our hoeschool, and unlike when I was following someone else's curriculum, I don't get surprised--I know what's coming next

OK, I've written a book LOL
#64 of 230 Old 01-07-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
Hey Guys,

Does anyone else here have two in different grades? That to me is the greatest challenge in this homeschool journey. At times, I do feel a bit like a tennis ball during our school time - we share some things, but now they are truly in different stages of childhood and I have to teach them separately.

Any input on improving this is helpful:
We always start together with a walk or movement activity. Then we often do bean bags or tongue twisters together. Then I do spend a good 40-50 minutes focused on the first grader while the sixth graderr does independent work. After lunch, I work with the sixth grader on our main lesson while the first grader plays. Then, a break. Sometimes, we get a separate art lesson - and sometimes we just don't because I'm tired of school...and there's usually some sort of art in their main lessons. I think to improve this Spring, we'll just do afternoon art block on Mondays and Fridays - when we have no other activities. Maybe then I won't beat myself up about not having art 4 days a week. (We take Weds off)

Dear Konamama-
Lucie,
It sounds to me like you are doing a great job. I too, have two different grades. My youngest is only four while my oldest is 10. I find that it is easy for me to do a lot of things together and ping pong between them for things that they need individually. I set the youngest one up with a play scene while the oldest and I work together. While the oldest is working independently, I will put on a puppet show, read a book, or whatever I need to do for the little one.

We all do handwork together, circle time, music, walks, gardening (Spring/Summer), nap/quiet time, and chores. The oldest is building things right now, and the little one helps by holding pieces together. It's really sweet. We have art or baking as our evening activity after dinner clean up before our bedtime ritual.
#65 of 230 Old 01-07-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

faerierebecca~ Really inspiring post! Thanks.
#66 of 230 Old 01-07-2007, 12:21 PM

Hi all I'm new to this thread. I've been doing some digging into Waldorf and have bought AM's Seasons of Joy winter set and am getting ready to start some basic hsing w/ DS (he's not quite 3 yet). I'm drawn to Waldorf for the beauty and respect for nature and would like to at least start DS off this way. I'm wondering if anyone has any resources on developing your rhythm? Maybe some guidelines? DS is VERY *spirited* and I need some "structure" to our day so that we both know what's coming next.

I'm excited to take this next step in our lives I look forward to all the advice and support you mamas have

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#67 of 230 Old 01-07-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Question: what do your weekends look like? I'm hoping, especially since our Tuesday-Thursdays are prescheduled in the mornings, to keep our rhythm going on the weekends, but instead of doing more hs'ing stuff, use the expansion/contraction to do family things - like trips to the aquarium during our contraction/adventure time or roller skating and Farmer's Market during our morning excercise time. Does anyone else keep their basic rhythm even on the weekend when dp/dh is home, but just add in other activities that match the flow?
I can't kep any rythym when hubby is home.
#68 of 230 Old 01-07-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
Do all of you do ZERO tv?
The TV is programed to not come on before 3pm during the week. Typically the boys get so into doing other things they don't even ask for it. Even hubby is getting better about it. I realized the other day that it hadn't been on for over two days. The computers are off until they have finished their work for the day. I am starting to limit them to one hour increments after that. (hour on, hour off) After reading "Raising Your Spirited Child" I am realizign that even though K seems to be calm while on it he is actaully becoming over stimulated.
#69 of 230 Old 01-07-2007, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good afternoon, mamas! I'm finally feeling almost-human. Hooray!

So, last week was a bust with all the illness and snot and all. This week is our big rededication to routine. Except we're leaving town Tuesday after we pick up Michael, spending the night in Lancaster, and taking the older two to NYC to see Mary Poppins on Broadway!!!! I know, Holy Overstimulation, but DH and I are both theater geeks and we are so, so, so excited to share this with the kids. So it will be peaceful only 4 out of 5 days here.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#70 of 230 Old 01-07-2007, 05:12 PM

Hi! I am here...we are doing Kindy homeschooling right now...I just ordered our spiritual syllabus winter book by Susan Whitehead. I also like the Wynstones seasonal books and A Child's Seasonal Treasury. A lot of our homeschooling right now is just being outside... getting lots of movement watching the seasons change...

Where are you staying in Lancaster annettemarie btw? That's where I live.
#71 of 230 Old 01-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Oh really? I grew up in Lancaster! My parents and my in-laws are still there. We're spending the night at my inlaws in Manheim Township.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#72 of 230 Old 01-08-2007, 02:26 AM

subbing
#73 of 230 Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Lucie, I just had to pop in really quickly and tell you THANK YOU for the link to the Living Values site! We downloaded the free "Peace" unit over the weekend and did a handful of the lessons over the past few days - really wonderful stuff there I think we may be getting the whole book as both dh and I really like what we've done so far. So, thanks!

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! Best Wishes!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#74 of 230 Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#75 of 230 Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM

Whoops! Posted this on the December thread, LOL!
Hey, we're doing The Mitten this week too!

I hope this doesn't sound snotty or anything, but I've been revisiting my own stuff and I keep catching myself by surprise, like, "Wow! I forgot I came up with that idea. That's sort of good!!"

We had a lovely day. Some highlights were
--making a bird feeder from an OJ carton
--making a little grey felt mousie for a nature table, which we changed from Epiphany to a Winter Woods theme today
--sewing and singing together while we made the mousie
--starting "Little House in the Big Woods" as a read-aloud

I also have a dilemma I was wondering if you all could help me with. We were doing k12 : and Katie Grace has actually tested out of the kindergarten math curriculum and was doing first grade math (we were up to grouping tens and ones). She's also reading, she has all the letter sounds and short vowel sounds and we've done a few digraphs (th, sh, ch, and wh). I feel like now that we're there we can't really unring the bell. And I don't think it would make her happy if I just said, "Whoops, sorry, no more math, no more reading."

So, I think I want to come up with little "mini-main lessons"--less than an hour, including circle, lots of hands-on stuff--that still weave in what we've done and maybe pick up some new stuff, but at a much less frenetic pace. I know this is completely outside the scope of the Waldorf curriculum to have main lessons in kindergarten, but I was wondering if you all could help me come up with some ideas anyway.

Sweet story of the day--I ordered a few things from A Toy Garden (which I highly recommend; I've been nothing but pleased with them!) and one item was a new tin of stick crayons for her. She was thrilled. I don't think she's ever been so grateful in her life! She drew a beautiful rainbow and rainbow fairy and a ladybug (Sonya at The Toy Garden includes this tiny ladybug stuck to the invoice, and Katie Grace moved it to her tin of crayons) and when Daddy came home she was all over him with, "Thank you, thank you, Daddy, for my new crayons!" It was very sweet.

Oh, I also ordered the Waldorf Kindergarten Snack Book, partially for inspiration and partially because one of the ideas I had for a Seasons of Joy book was a recipe book and I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be too similar (it's not). It's a really sweet book with some great ideas and insights. AND we know the author! She's from the Susquehanna Waldorf School, which is where we went for parent-child classes when Michael was a toddler.

#76 of 230 Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
She's also reading, she has all the letter sounds and short vowel sounds and we've done a few digraphs (th, sh, ch, and wh). I feel like now that we're there we can't really unring the bell. And I don't think it would make her happy if I just said, "Whoops, sorry, no more math, no more reading."

So, I think I want to come up with little "mini-main lessons"--less than an hour, including circle, lots of hands-on stuff--that still weave in what we've done and maybe pick up some new stuff, but at a much less frenetic pace. I know this is completely outside the scope of the Waldorf curriculum to have main lessons in kindergarten, but I was wondering if you all could help me come up with some ideas anyway.
We're in a similar place in that my daughter taught herself to read this summer. Hubby and I have been joking that this is what happens when a new baby comes along and there's not as many free grown ups to read to you: you teach yourself

Like you, I've had some concerns, but I also feel like this is where she is right now and what benefit is there to homeschooling if I can't tailor it, even Waldorf homeschooling, to my individual children? So, yeah, we're doing some reading, too with a little bit of math as well, again just following her lead. I'm torn because I know there is a fear of too much, too soon but I don't want to hold her natural learning back either (I think maybe you talked about this with your son on the other thread?) and she already has a great love of reading and writing and I feel in my heart I should be encouraging. I imagine throughout her learning there will be an ebb and flow ... times we'll be going ahead of traditional Waldorf order and perhaps times we'll be slowing?

I'll be taking notes to see what others recommend to you.

Today we worked a bit on the UN Peace lessons (thanks again, Lucie!), changed out our Nature Corner, and made a Fairy paper chain from the Usborne book How to Draw Fairies and Mermaids, and did a bit of watercoloring on coffee filters (fun!) We also hung laundry together and made dinner together (bow tie pasta and red sauce with a big salad - she helped chop the veggies for the sauce & the salad and set the table for us)

All in all, a very nice day

Best Wishes!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#77 of 230 Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 AM

I'm looking for a fun teacher's resource for Spanish...spanish songs and games, etc. to teach to the children....so far I've only found like workbook-y type things and children's books written in Spanish...any ideas?
#78 of 230 Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttermama View Post
I'm looking for a fun teacher's resource for Spanish...spanish songs and games, etc. to teach to the children.
http://www.naturallyyoucansing.com/books/cante.htm

I do not have this particular book, but I have a few of her others. This is one of my favorite and well used Waldorf resources. The books are beautiful with instructions on how to do finger plays, circle games, and the like. The CDs are high quality. Mary has a very lovely voice. I know you would be pleased.
#79 of 230 Old 01-09-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

So, I think I want to come up with little "mini-main lessons"--less than an hour, including circle, lots of hands-on stuff--that still weave in what we've done and maybe pick up some new stuff, but at a much less frenetic pace. I know this is completely outside the scope of the Waldorf curriculum to have main lessons in kindergarten, but I was wondering if you all could help me come up with some ideas anyway..
How about doing Waldorf first grade?

We love A toy Garden also. Sonya has been great to work with on several occasions. I second the recommendation to order from her. Besides that $5 playsilks. Who can beat that!
#80 of 230 Old 01-09-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I placed an order with Bob and Nancy's and they were wonderful! Shipped everything right away, except one book is back ordered and they will send that when they get it in. They did a great job packaging it nicly with bubble wrap and the like so that my books reached me safely. Plus they included a free novel for me.
http://www.waldorfbooks.com/

They included an ad for Renewal magazine. Does anyone here get that? I think I'm going to subscribe, but I would like to hear a review. I am also interested in learning about any other Waldorf periodicals out there.

http://www.awsna.org/publicationsren.html
#81 of 230 Old 01-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass View Post
They included an ad for Renewal magazine. Does anyone here get that? I think I'm going to subscribe, but I would like to hear a review. I am also interested in learning about any other Waldorf periodicals out there.

http://www.awsna.org/publicationsren.html
I get Renewal, and I really love it. Great articles, book excerpts, teaching ideas, and since it's geared towards both parents and educators, there's something for everybody.

Today's our busy day. We have German in the morning (already done) at an outside class. The same teacher is also an artist who does homeschool art classes, so both girls are at art this morning whilst I have time for guilt-free internetting I'm picking them up early to go to DC for the ballet--we're seeing American Ballet Theatre's mixed rep program today. With two budding ballerinas, ballets are a must. And here in DC, we have a great educational program through the Kennedy Center where we can go see open rehearsals for $5 a ticket. We're seeing the Bolshoi next month!!

Tomorrow, though, we're back at the school table!
#82 of 230 Old 01-09-2007, 10:58 PM

we had a great day - we met with another family at the beach - our families have both been around, aware of each other, etc for the last yearish... my dd will be 4 in april, their oldest will be 4 in july (also a 4 month old girl who my dd loves already), they are both sweet, sensitive, caring, gentle girls with a love ot nature - first time playing together and it was a hit. we have a 10 acre organic farm, they have a 10 acre organic farm. we have a lot of the same goals, ideas, etc and they are open to homeschooling if it organically falls in place for thier family :-)) we (the mamas) talked about it a lot today; of sharing a curriculum (oak meadow or live ed! or waldorf without walls, etc.), creating a co-op homeschooling group (i could teach art, the other mama could teach spanish), taking field trips together, joining in on a group horseback riding class, etc i could go on and on, it was amazing and feels like a real connection that could lead to a lot of positive things for all family members - way cool. good day....
we are going over to their farm on friday for another play date and then our farm next week - cool!
#83 of 230 Old 01-09-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konamama View Post
we had a great day - we met with another family at the beach - our families have both been around, aware of each other, etc for the last yearish... my dd will be 4 in april, their oldest will be 4 in july (also a 4 month old girl who my dd loves already), they are both sweet, sensitive, caring, gentle girls with a love ot nature - first time playing together and it was a hit. we have a 10 acre organic farm, they have a 10 acre organic farm. we have a lot of the same goals, ideas, etc and they are open to homeschooling if it organically falls in place for thier family :-)) we (the mamas) talked about it a lot today; of sharing a curriculum (oak meadow or live ed! or waldorf without walls, etc.), creating a co-op homeschooling group (i could teach art, the other mama could teach spanish), taking field trips together, joining in on a group horseback riding class, etc i could go on and on, it was amazing and feels like a real connection that could lead to a lot of positive things for all family members - way cool. good day....
we are going over to their farm on friday for another play date and then our farm next week - cool!
Can I come live on your 10 acre organic farm?

We are doing well ... like all things, we haven't stuck 100% to our rhythm, but I sure feel good having it there as our backbone and for me to fall back upon when needed. Both boys have been very receptive with both circle time and our main story (for our folk tale we are reading The Bojabi Tree ... it really gets their attention; later this week we'll read a story about bear hibernation for our winter nature story). Ds#2, especially, loves circle time, singing, and fingerplays. Man I wish I knew about all this back when ds#1 was still little. Fortunately he has adapted much more quickly than I thought and I think he will thrive.

Dh and I are planning on making the boys a wooden play kitchen and then ordering them some things from For Small Hands. They are very excited and want it done yesterday! Ds#1 (5 1/2) can't wait until his best friends get to come over and play with him in their kitchen.

So, overall I am very happy ... and at peace ... with our choice for hs'ing and my only wish was that I had discovered it sooner.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#84 of 230 Old 01-10-2007, 03:12 AM

I do Waldorf at home with my kids too.
#85 of 230 Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

konamama~ That is so wonderful that you have met another family that you click with. I hope your meeting blossoms into a great friendship.

Our days are going very well. I have been very busy reading and planning on my down time. I love to research.

I really love The Golden Beetle Books that I just received a couple of days ago. I have already written plans for blocks. I have heard so many mixed reviews of people either really loving these books or really hating them. The fact that some people really hate them made me shy away. I said before that I don't like to read anthroposophy too much. Well, as always it's just because I can't stand to read Steiner. Whitehead writes a lot about anthroposophy and I love the way he does it.

Thanks Lucie for helping me make the decision to give Spiritual Syllabus a try. So glad I did. Do you know of an email list or message board for those that use these books?
#86 of 230 Old 01-10-2007, 01:06 PM

Mama Kass..thank you!!!! I had forgotten that Mary had a spanish book...I have two of her others and love it! Are you on the Waldorf Homeschooling list? We discuss the spiritual syllabus books over there sometimes. I don't know of a specific list for it...I only have the kindy Susan Whitehead books and love them! I am hoping the ones for the older grades are just as good...
#87 of 230 Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 PM

SO What are these Golden Beetle Books of which ya'll speak??? I keep seen references to them and I feel so out of the loop.
#88 of 230 Old 01-10-2007, 05:46 PM

OK I'm frustrated right now! Kind of looking for advice from any other moms. Ds (not too far from being seven) is pretty on the ball with school-ish stuff *when* I can get to doing it with him. Dd# has just hit a *big* developmental spurt and since she is turning 3yo in about a week I would like to start doing rhymes/hand games with her as a schoolish kind of thing. She already basically does art with Ds and Dd1. My problem is with Dd1, currently diagnosed with SID and is in the 8long* process to find out if she is autistic or on spectrum. I have people trying to push me and Dh into sending Dd1 to "school". Knowing her personality, sensitivities and how the school system veiws her after trying to get OT services for her there is no way in you know where that we will even think of sending her since those who don't really know her think that she is a perfectly normal kind since she is such a social chameleon! But, on the other hand she says she wants to do "school stuff" but then when the time comes balks and will literally walk away saying that it is too hard even if it is things that I know she can do and have seen her do on her own. She will say that she wants to do *fill in the blank activity* and unless it involves running around in circles or jumping on the couch it's a no go by the time that I get the stuff together for it.

How would you guys deal with this. I have been trying to be as easy going as I can about it even though it is completely driving me nuts. But as I sit here and try to take things at her pace I'm watching her slide further an further behind, and I know that I shouldn't be judging her against her brother or her NT peers but I know that she is a *very* smart kid. I try to do OT stuff with her to keep her on track but she reffuses it from me and has started reffusing it from Dh. I can't wait until all the testing etc is done since then we'll offically be set up with an OT again (the only time she's really on an even keel and can focus on the things she asks to do). Should I just keep going with the flow until we find out just what is going on and start getting services again? But, if I go that route then I don't know how I am going to handle doing school stuff for Ds and Dd2.

Ack! any advice?
#89 of 230 Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass View Post
I find that it is easy for me to do a lot of things together and ping pong between them for things that they need individually. I set the youngest one up with a play scene while the oldest and I work together. While the oldest is working independently, I will put on a puppet show, read a book, or whatever I need to do for the little one.
This sounds so similar to me...and I will consider the evening art. We currently have Boy Scouts one night and Astronomy another, but we could add art one night to bring us up to three, which feels better to me than two.

: Thanks so much for the idea.

We started Rome in Sixth grade this week, and like the Civil War last year it really involved material that my first-grader was not ready to overhear in any way. In the case of Remus and Romulus, I really didn't want him to hear the story of a brother being responsible for another's death...at two separate times! So anyway, I allowed him to play Zoo Tycoon on the computer (just SO Waldorfy!) so that he would be certain not to overhear. Usually he just goes to his room to play, but he walks through or comes in to ask questions, etc.

We did share an opening verse, then a movement game, and finally at the end, we shared some music - I am bringing in music for every block this year and totally am enjoying Xavier Sings with my little one
My first grader and I are doing Winter games/crafts and finishing a few more letters of the alphabet...I never would have bought an alphabet curriculum, but then they sent it to me so that I could post a sample track on the Wonderfest...and then I heard the rest...and instead of mailing it I just kept passing it in the hall and humming a song...and then I just sent them a check instead of returning the curriculum.
The songs interplay with nature and the rest of the curriculum so well that I'm sure we'll get a lot of use out of it.

Best wishes,

Lucie
#90 of 230 Old 01-10-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmum View Post
My problem is with Dd1, currently diagnosed with SID and is in the 8long* process to find out if she is autistic or on spectrum. I have people trying to push me and Dh into sending Dd1 to "school". Knowing her personality, sensitivities and how the school system veiws her after trying to get OT services for her there is no way in you know where that we will even think of sending her since those who don't really know her think that she is a perfectly normal kind since she is such a social chameleon! ...She will say that she wants to do *fill in the blank activity* and unless it involves running around in circles or jumping on the couch it's a no go by the time that I get the stuff together for it.
I wish you the very best with this. I do not have a special needs child so I can't really offer good advice, but I can say that for any child who ran around during hs lesson, I would (and do) make most of the lesson involve running around and other movement. There is a mom with a bipolar child who homeschooled her with Waldorf methods for a while, and she wrote this article about it (plus it links to her site). I love the support team idea she promotes, but of course I haven't been there so you will have to decide if it is helpful to you.

Also I know thet Enki does blend Sensory Integration activities into their curriculum, so you could consider that...but if it does become apparent that she has autism, I would really strengthen that team and reach out to the people and organizations on this AtoZ Home's Cool Autism resources page and especially the Glaser family page of which I've heard great things.

Best wishes on your journey together,

Lucie

PS Frogurraumi - the Golden Beetle Syllabus is a series of teaching guides fromn Australia. They are perfect for some and really not for others as they are not straightforward guides at all, but kinda quirky stories that help you to develop all of your own lessons...and they have a lot of anthro references...but they're magical for some of us and very inexpensive, and their book, "A Steiner Homesachool?" I think every Waldorf homeschooler should own. It is very empowering.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page