Waldorf HS Support Thread January - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 230 Old 01-24-2007, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
That's a good idea, to have the paint pre-mixed. This might be a stupid question, but do you store it in the fridge or just keep it out?

I think part of the trouble is that I've tried to make too much of a ritual out of it. When we did the parent-child class at the waldorf school, it was this big lovely deal of a ritual. But here at home, it just gets to be too much. I was thinking fondly today of the days when I was the lead teacher in a preschool and I had an assistant who did all the prep work and cleaning up.
I keep them out - I hope that is okay. They are the stockmar water colors. Oh and our painting is so not a ritual. : I'm working on making one day a week painting day consistently - we are not even there yet.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#182 of 230 Old 01-24-2007, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

annettemarie~ We do wet on wet water color. Not every day! After dinner and dinner clean up we have a family activity. This usually consists of art, but not always. This is a very special time for our family. Try doing it at night. If night does not work for you try a different part of the day. Start with just one day a week.

I wanted to let everyone know a couple of things that we have been doing that have been very exciting:

I have been printing the values posters for my dc. Everyday they get a new value poster. We all read them together and then tape them to the wall in the play room. Since my dc are 4 and 10 they each get their own. Except Freedom. It is only available for the 8 and up range. The dc love this so much.

Here's the website for those just recently entering this thread: http://livingvalues.net/posters/Posters2.htm#8-14

Also, I found a great book at the library today. It was written in 1938 and it is called The Complete Book of Games: Over 1500 Games Helpful Diagrams and Illustrations It is written by: Clement Wood and Gloria Goddard.

There were several books like this at the library. Check your library to see what you can find. My ds loves it very much and shared some of the games with his neighborhood friends tonight, which they enjoyed very much.

I also picked up a water color book, and a drawing book. I started the drawing exercises tonight. It was fun.

Question: Why do Waldorf teachers take a name other than their own and how is it chosen?

Loving the Golden Beetle Books. I love his references to anthroposophy. Who else is good to read about Anthroposophy? I don't like to read Steiner.
#183 of 230 Old 01-25-2007, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Just found this free newsletter. I can't wait to read the issues.

http://www.waldorflibrary.org/ClearingHouse.htm
#184 of 230 Old 01-25-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I have a question. How many of you really do wet-on-wet watercolor painting? I mean to--heaven knows I mean to--but it's such a PITA that I've been getting out the tempera lately because I figure it's better than not painting at all.
Annette,

We do wet on wet painting at least once a week, on Wed or Sat. I used to feel exactly the same way. But, at some point I decided I was going to really give it a try and got rid of all my other paints (well except a few tempera paints that I save for coop - I'm not wealthy enough to share my stockmar paints ). We do have a little ritual for setting everything up, but the girls seem to like the set up now almost as much as they like the painting. They each get their own jar for water and their own brush and their own little towel. I do keep leftover paint in small mason jars in the fridge, but I really enjoy mixing the paints and I only mix a small amount at a time so there is usually not alot left over.

It took me a while to figure out how wet to get the paper and the brushes and how dark to mix the paints, but now that we do it regularly I find the tempera paints just too flat. The watercolors are so much more lively and interesting. We easily use an hour or more everytime we paint and it is a very calming activity for us.

I am sure that is TMI....
#185 of 230 Old 01-25-2007, 08:36 PM

Hey guys! I love hearing about the different approaches to watercolor! We use the tubes, just because it's so easy, and then we mix up quantities in baby food jars and paint about once a week. We store it in the fridge. A few months ago DH cleaned out thr fridge and "threw away all of that moldy baby food!" OK, so now I know to take off the labels first and apply new ones!

MamaKass, I have to say that I hit my limit on Steiner in How to Know Higher Worlds, though I did enjoy Anthroposophy in Everyday Life. Not many people can charge up anthro ideas better than Alan Whitehead, IMHO. Dennis Klocek is one who has actually made sense to me at times. Here's an article he wrote on Consciousness Studies online:
http://www.goetheanstudies.org/whati...nnisintro.html

Maybe Caroline von Heydebrand too...but most of the time the anthro writers speak way over my head, or way deeper than my soul - I'm not sure which? Perhaps I will grow into their work as I develop into a more conscious person or the kids grow out of interrupting, whichever comes first.

Everyone, please share if you find someone anthro who's very accessible to a mom who's interrupted about every 5 minutes when she actually gets the time for personal reading!

Lucie
#186 of 230 Old 01-25-2007, 09:29 PM

So, does the paint, once mixed with water, have to be stored in the fridge? Will it "go bad?"

#187 of 230 Old 01-25-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
So, does the paint, once mixed with water, have to be stored in the fridge? Will it "go bad?"

yep. once mixed it should be in fridge.
also doing wet on wet once a week here.
#188 of 230 Old 01-25-2007, 09:39 PM

Ok, so I think I'll toss what's made up right now (luckily not much), mix some new, and keep it well labeled in the fridge! : Thanks for letting me know.

#189 of 230 Old 01-25-2007, 10:21 PM

sorry painters, need to go back to breathing in and out - not sure how it will manifest in our day to day but it is our weekly rhythm - MWF out in the world, TTH at home - did this week for the first time and really enjoying it! today we had a gardening/cleaning day and it was wonderful. we have been going out a lot as of late and it has been stressful, i figured that i just needed to be more patient - which i am sure i should do anyhow... :-)) - but not a hiccup today, a beautifully calm day full of imagination play, outdoor time, cooperation in chores, etc.
back to painting... i need to dig my wet-on-wet paper out with our painting boards... think she would like that...
#190 of 230 Old 01-25-2007, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, another weird painting question (sorry to interrupt your breathing konamama, LOL!) but what about non-Stokmar paints? Are they OK to use?

And we had a poopy unrhythmic day today, which is probably just the sort of day where I should have forced myself to stick with the rhythm. Everyone was out of sorts.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#191 of 230 Old 01-25-2007, 11:52 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just got thru reading all 10 pages ... I have been thinking we (dd 18 mos and I) would benefit from a daily rhythm as I find it very depressing to be home all day and not know what to do with myself and then feel unmotivated to do all the wonderful things we could do. I think this would really help.

So any ideas for a nice Waldorfy day for a very young child? I figured after breakfast we could do a circle time and then free play or help me with chores and then story time (she LOVES if I will read 5 books or so to her mid-morning and I was thinking we could do a weekly theme). Then some free play time again before lunch. After lunch maybe some outside time b4 more stories to wind down for her nap. Maybe when she wakes we could do art (or maybe reverse the art/outdoor time). Just some ideas... what do you all think?

Also what are good simple things to do with her to incorporate waldorf ideas at such a young age? She loves to color with her beeswax crayons and is great at pretend play. I was thinking maybe we could make some playdough...

We did a parent/child group, but they didnt' really do too much in it.

I loved reading all of your inspiring ideas and enjoyed all the great links (now I have to read them all too )

TIA ~ Rebecca
#192 of 230 Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Rebecca~ Your ideas sound great to me. May I suggest singing? I sing all day long. I sing to wake my dc and put them to bed and everything in between. Also, start making meal times special. Set the table and make it beautiful. Light a candle, say a blessing, and have a candle snuffer present to let your dc snuff out the candle after you are through eating. Have a tea time once a day. Herbal tea of course! Make toys together, garden, paint, draw.

Study, plan, implement. Breathe in, breathe out. Good Luck.
#193 of 230 Old 01-26-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
but what about non-Stokmar paints? Are they OK to use?
I can't wait until we have used up our Stockmar paints! I don't like that the red looks pink. I would like a good recommendation on paint.
#194 of 230 Old 01-26-2007, 07:43 PM

Do you think 18 months is too young for paints? I think it is for water colors but what about finger paints? She is pretty good at listening and not making a huge mess if i ask her to be careful. Any idea where i can get some natural ones - dyed with things from nature like the Stockmar watercolours.
#195 of 230 Old 01-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Answered my own question - I found some here http://store.kidbean.com/0107201.html Doesn't look like Stockmar makes any tho. oh and here is how to make your own if interested - might be a fun project for a kid older than 18 mos! LOL http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/21 and here is another http://www.howtohavegoodsex.com/fing...painting_i.htm
#196 of 230 Old 01-26-2007, 08:34 PM

Attached mama, at 18 months it is really all about them observing and imitating you; at that age my kids loved to chop mushrooms and tofu for me, clean with me, help me bake, take nature walks, sing, etc. At 2 yrs my ds was in parent toddler group where it was still mroe about free play than projects but we did a few simple ones; like leaf rubbings, painting with just one water color, pipe cleaner/wool butterflies, etc. DD is almost 2 and also likes playdoh, baking, etc but besides that she is busy in her pretend play with dolls, cooking stuff, dress up etc.
#197 of 230 Old 01-26-2007, 09:10 PM

I agree. One of DD's fave activities is to put on her apron like mommy's and help me cook in the kitchen. And she loves to help transfer laundry and help put away silverware too. But I still think she would love finger paints as she does love to colour. Or maybe I would just like them
#198 of 230 Old 01-26-2007, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today I bought three jars of organic baby food with expiration dates far enough in advance that I can save them for Babymort. My plan is to empty the food into a container and freeze it til I need it so I have the jars for painting. You ladies are inspiring!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#199 of 230 Old 01-26-2007, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Lucie,
This will take more than five minutes of reading. I'm working on it. It is exactly what I needed to come across this evening.

http://wn.rsarchive.org/Articles/Edu...Chi_essay.html
#200 of 230 Old 01-27-2007, 07:10 AM

Dear Everyone,

I just wanted to ask how y'all might feel about calling this a "Holistic Homeschooling Thread" beginning in February? I just think that most of us blend multiple methods and ideas, and the holistic tag really reflects that better than just "Waldorf."

What do you think?

Lucie

Dear Rebecca, It all sounds great to me! Maybe add a fingerplay in the middle of the storytime, like Thumbkin or Little Houses. or a clapping game. You can also make fingerpaint with yogurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass View Post
Lucie,
This will take more than five minutes of reading. I'm working on it. It is exactly what I needed to come across this evening.

http://wn.rsarchive.org/Articles/Edu...Chi_essay.html
Hey MamaKass, I've read that one! It was helpful at points and yes, took much more than 5 minutes, but I probably couldn't sleep - like tonight - hormones!

Dear Annettemarie, We have always used Winsor & Newton tube paint. The tubes stay good as long as we need them to sit on a shelf, and then once some is mixed w/water we store the baby food jars in the fridge. We've used the Stockmar with friends, but to me I just want to be able to do watercolor often...and the tubes are less expensive, purchased locally, and artist-quality. The kids are not deprived - they have Stockmar/Lyra crayons and modeling waxes. Also, I do like the really rich colors of the W&N.
#201 of 230 Old 01-27-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
Dear Everyone,

I just wanted to ask how y'all might feel about calling this a "Holistic Homeschooling Thread" beginning in February? I just think that most of us blend multiple methods and ideas, and the holistic tag really reflects that better than just "Waldorf."
For me, I don't think I would have initially checked out the thread if the word *waldorf* hadn't been in the title. Maybe "Waldorf-inspired holistic homeschoolers"?

Just an idea!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#202 of 230 Old 01-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Anyone want to share their feelings about Susan Whitehead's Golden Beetle books? I know that some love them and some not so much, but I would be interested in hearing specific strengths and weaknesses.

Also, what is the story line, for example, in "Lono and Coco Boato" (one sentence description will do) and about how many pages is it? What does one do about the songs if not a big music reader?

Thanks....and sorry for all the questions. I just find the descriptions fairly vague and it's expensive to have things shipped here to Switzerland so I don't like choosing badly.

Anyone have seasonal stories that they like better?

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#203 of 230 Old 01-27-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
Anyone have seasonal stories that they like better?
*coming out of lurk-dom*

I'm not positive that this is what you're looking for - but I adore children's books, picture books especially, so when you asked... well, I couldn't resist!

I love love love Lynn Plourde's seasonal books. Wild Child is the one about autumn, Winter Waits is about winter, Spring's Sprung is about spring and Summer's Vacation is summer. Mother Earth and Father Time interact with their seasonal children, each book ends with a teaser about the next season, and Greg Couch's illustrations are great.

It may be because Wild Child was the first one I read - but for whatever reason, it's my favorite

Ok, back to lurking... :

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#204 of 230 Old 01-27-2007, 09:36 PM

Wow those seasonal books look really great. Thank you!! They are cheaper on half.com tho. Unfortunately DH says we need to wait til next month Well, he is right... sigh...
#205 of 230 Old 01-28-2007, 02:51 PM

wow i wouldve never known about this thread!!
hi mamas!! im nicole, my dd is only 16 1/2 months right now but i want to be fully prepared for HSing her so im starting my reasearch now,plusi want to make sure what i am 'teaching' her right now is in the waldorf guidlines so to speak.
at this age should i be explaining things to her or just saying 'i wonder' about everything?
thanks mamas!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#206 of 230 Old 01-28-2007, 03:36 PM

This thread is great, I'm so glad to have found it. I am working on a rhythm for my 2 yr old and 4 month old, and want to incorporate my 6 month niece when she is here, she needs some more natural/creative/involved time, at home she either sits in a walker and watches shrek or sits on her mommy's lap while she talks on the phone I'm trying to figure out our current rhythm so i know where to start Just wanted to say hello. I've been taking notes, so keep the good ideas coming

jeneca mommy to kamille, 6 lexi, 4
#3 due 2/28/12

#207 of 230 Old 01-29-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
plusi want to make sure what i am 'teaching' her right now is in the waldorf guidlines so to speak.
at this age should i be explaining things to her or just saying 'i wonder' about everything?
thanks mamas!
Please be more specific.

libranbutterfly~ Welcome. That is so special that you will be incorporating your niece sometimes. I do that with my niece, but she is too far away. I wish I saw her more often.
#208 of 230 Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
One thing I wuold do before "cementing" any rhythm, so to speak, is really watch your dd's energy levels - at least right now your 3 year old. When does she want to play on her own (or is successful at it), when does she seem to need time with you ... think of your day as breathing ... there are times you are breathing in and times you are breathing out ... there is an ebb and flow.
Yes! I cannot say enough how just relaxing, letting go of the clock, and watching for my own family's natural rhythm (and giving those rhythms room to take place) has helped create a more peaceful environment around here. We aren't on anyone else's time, even a recommended schedule by a Waldorf site or book, but our own. I have discovered my daughter's rhythm (when she's more tired, when she's more wound up, when she is usually ready for a snack, etc.) When things start getting crazy around here it is *usually* when I've tried to force something or when we've been going against that natural flow of our lives. I've also become more aware of my own rhythms ... and that sometimes these things gradually change, too.

As far as schooling and when to start actively teaching, from what I've read Steiner believes in waiting to introduce more set "teaching" until the child starts showing physical signs like losing the baby teeth, the dimples on the back of the hands becoming knuckles, things like that. Even then, from what I'm reading, it is supposed to be teaching that blends into your natural day - gently led into one activity or lesson, not so much "okay, now we'll begin our math studies for the day" kind of thing. Most consider starting anything before 7 to be too early.

Now, that said, my daughter is only 5 but has taught herself to read in the past few months and knows a lot of math functions (though she doesn't know that she's adding or subtracting) from day to day life. Kids really are little sponges and even though she isn't showing all the "Waldorf" physical signs of readiness, *I* believe she is ready and so I'm encouraging her own natural pace of reading and learning. I'm not drilling her or anything like that, just answering her questions, letting life flow at it's own pace, and giving her the room she needs to build these skills. I don't believe in waking up that learning instinct too soon ... but I also don't want to stifle it once it has begun, even if it is before she looses her baby teeth, ykwim? :

That said, I also believe that Waldorf can be more than just a teaching method but is also a way of life and parenting. I really like the Waldorf Curriculum site (it has free preschool units and if you follow each unit sort of step by step takes you through building a Waldorf playroom, building a library, adding new toys, learning about coloring, form drawing, watercolor painting - when I first discovered Waldorf I felt like I had to rush out and buy everything and convert our household at once! Slow & steady really is the key ... and I like the WC preschool materials because they reinforce that slow, gradual change and build up toward Waldorf education) and I also like Annette's materials (her books even have suggestions for Babies & toddlers - which my dd and I have loved making & doing together for her baby brother!) and the Christopherus materials another mama suggested earlier. There is also the Waldorf in the Home site which has a lot of articles about Waldorf parenting and setting up a Waldorf home, which I think relate especially to the early/ preschool years.

I also really like the Seven Times the Sun and Beyond the Rainbow Bridge books. I wouldn't say I embraced them both 100%, but I did find much in both that I felt reflected our lives and that I could take and apply to my family. Our library has copies of both, but I did find them worth purchasing, too.

Sorry to have been out of this thread for so long, but wow! What great discussions have been happening here! It has been a real pleasure to go back and read - wonderful!

I've been still doing a lot of cleaning, organizing, and decluttering ... I can honestly say that now I'm at a place where I can tell this is making a difference in our home life. It is a little daunting sometimes how much this rests on me and what an effect I have on the rest of the family when I get out of sorts or let things slip ... but at the same time very rewarding when the little steps that I am taking also ripple out and benefit us all as well. Children learn so much through play and I feel better knowing that I am setting up a richer, more peaceful play environment for mine. (well, one baby step at a time, anyway! Gotta start somewhere, right?)

I bought a blank, high quality paper, spiral notebook to use as a blank main lesson book and Boo and I have been loosely using Oak Meadow's kindergarten materials, blended with AM's Seasons of Joy, and also some of the things I'm picking for us from the All Year Round book. We've finally had some snow, so we've been doing more King Winter stories and have changed our Nature Corner over to reflect the snowy Winter going on outside. We've been reading Harry Potter together at night, too (okay, no so Waldorf LOL) and Boo was so tickled by the "Hogwarts" song that the first school year starts off with that we've been singing it to each other before we do our OakMeadow language or number lessons Sorta Hogwarts/Steiner

Okay, I've rambled, so off I go ... welcome to all the new folks!

Best Wishes!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#209 of 230 Old 01-29-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass View Post
Please be more specific.

libranbutterfly~ Welcome. That is so special that you will be incorporating your niece sometimes. I do that with my niece, but she is too far away. I wish I saw her more often.
hmm im not sure if i can be!! i dont know much about waldorf,only htings ive picked up here and there.
my friend who used to be a waldorf teacher told me that they never explained things to kids in the classroom,instead they would say 'i wonder' to the kids to make them try and figure it out on their own. with my DD being 16 months, should i be doing this with her? i mean she doesnt alk so she cant ask questions but she still gives me things and waits for me to say something about them, plus right now i have a tendecy to explain things to her a lot, im not sure why i do it... :

as for what i'm teaching her.. im not really teaching her anything,but should i be? or is she just mimicing me right now?

#210 of 230 Old 01-29-2007, 03:46 PM

oh and please xplain to me the whole rythm thing..what is this and how do we do it?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page