Waldorf HS Support Thread January - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few people suggested we start a monthly thread for Waldorf hs support, so I thought I'd take the initiative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 02:42 PM

Yeah! I'm in on this one. This year there is a lot changing in our home and getting on track with school is one of those things. I'm going to need support to keep things going through our new home search, move and settling in time. If all goes well we will be moving into a place with a fenced backyard so that the kids can go out all they want and if it is too colod out for me (I have circulatory problems) I can watch them through a window with out having to worry as much that my SN Dd1 is going to dissapear. (she's developed the little problem of wandering off and dissapearing!) With a fence I'd be able to send our dog who basically acts as a therapy/assistance dog for Dd1. Our dog sticks very close to Dd1 and has always acted as a second set of eyes for me and will herd the kids, Dd1 specifically, back to where they are suppost to be.

This week is art for us as we slowly work ourselves back into a routine. Instead of starting our day with circle time we have found that ending our day with circle like time (bedtime rhymes and story time) works best for us.

I can't wait to have this going for us!
Old 01-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmum View Post
Instead of starting our day with circle time we have found that ending our day with circle like time (bedtime rhymes and story time) works best for us.
That is what I am aiming for too. Mornings are just not the best time to try to do anything structured in this house. LOL

I just checked out Moontellers from the library. I think we will read those stories each night before bed.

This month we are studying the various creation stories in A Children's Book of Myths & Legends.

We are also going to be talking this month about where New Year's Resolutions came from and start coming up with things to put on our Resolution Tree.

Since we are in Florida, Arbor Day is this month, so we will be planting a tree in honor of my grandmother who died last year.

I am really trying to embrace the Waldorf approach to math but I am finding it hard to let go of Math U See.

We are also going to start letterboxing. It sounds like a lot of fun and we will get to do more outdoor activities this way!!
Old 01-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Subbing ... I am determined to get our routine figured out. For those who have a daily quiet time and sing the transition to quiet time, do you mind sharing your song?

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 01-02-2007, 03:55 PM

I'm new to these boards, but I've been on Annette's Natural Childhood and Feasts and Festivals list for, um, forever ;-) I'm always on the lookout for Waldorf homeschooling support, and when I saw Annette's blog and newsletter that this conversation was starting up, I definitely had to join in.

I'm Rebecca, mom to two girls--a fourth grader (Mara, who just turned 10 last month!), and Daisy (a 6yo Kindy-plus-er who cannot *wait* to be 7 and start "real school"). I live in VA and have been homeschooling with Waldorf pretty much since the beginning. We did a few years in a Waldorf parent/child program in Ornage County, Ca, then 3 months at the Waldorf school in Washington, D.C. for kindy, then decided to strike out on our own. We never looked back.

This month's plans for us are a Human Being and Animals block (which means lots of trips to the zoo--perfect for both ages), as well as math review. I'm thinking about doing some beautiful math using, "Geometry Lessons in the Waldorf School" (if I can find my copy), then adding some practical worksheets in as well. We need math *practice* over here. We also need to get sewing on Mara's apprentice clothes if she's going to start working at the nearby colonial farm as a "farm child" in February. They have very exacting standards for their clothing--certain fabrics and dyes, what must be handstitched and what can be done on the machine, etc.), and it's time to get this project started.

Looking forward to sharing the journey with you all!
Old 01-02-2007, 04:01 PM

Has anyone used this book
http://www.waldorfwithoutwalls.com/books/math1-3/
Or can you recommend any like it. Or any websites. Help me give up my Math U See crutch LOL
Old 01-02-2007, 04:20 PM

We decided to take it easy today and do some activities from the Living Values Peace curriculum unit. It's COLD outside, so we're in and cuddly.

AM - I just wanted to say that there's no reason you have to drop Math-U-See altogether at all. Even if you want to teach the math blocks, you can still do Math U See for extra practice between blocks. We did that with the Cuisenaire Rods and Miquon. And Moontellers sounds neat, please share more!

Best wishes,

Lucie
Old 01-02-2007, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
For those who have a daily quiet time and sing the transition to quiet time, do you mind sharing your song?
The Moon is Round from Sing a Song with Baby by Mary Thienes-Schunemann

All of her book and CD sets are excellent!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM

I'm feeling great about this! So, today we got up and had our breakfast and clean up time and went to "run errands". I got the kids brooms, dustpans and mops like some of you suggested and we bought some nice wood toys, including the shoe w/the shoe lace one. We picked up produce and came home to eat lunch where we will relax then make bracelets later. I took any opportunity I had to "teach" while we were out. Like telling dd what the letters were on the front of the Toys R Us store and what colors they were (she asked).

Thanks again for this thread it really is supportive and motivating!

BTW we do reading time before bedtime as well.

January
Old 01-02-2007, 07:25 PM

Today was our first day "back". We are doing alphabet stories and fairy tales. Also story telling about the math gnomes. Lots of exercise and giggles.
It's hard to get back inthe swing of thigns-and we are totally relaxed!
Michele
Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 PM

Today was our first day trying to ease back into a rhythm after having DH home for nearly 2 weeks. Before that I had surgery and an extended recovery time (still recovering) so it has been awhile since there has been a solid rhythm to our lives, although we started back in with a short morning lesson in December (until DH's break).

Tuesday, however, is an "out" day for us because of our hs park day. Today was also the day to get online and try to reserve a week at the state beach in July (at 8 in the morning). The morning wasn't as smooth or joyful as I would have liked (one of my goals is to meet each morning with joy), but we are back on track now. We've had lunch and the boys are starting their quiet time.

This is still a really easy week for us. We're reading and drawing W/TH/F mornings, and will set up small projects for after quiet time. I personally have the office in a state of chaos as I reorganize everything, which I plan to finish this week, and I have some main lesson planning to do for our block starting next Monday.

Still, I feel so relaxed. I have finally let go of the idea that I have to do anything the way someone else says to do it, be that Rudolph Steiner, Donna Simmons, or even Beth at Enki. After nearly 2.5 years of HS (since the fall that DS#1 was 5YO) I am finally settling into something that works for us, and even more importantly, I understand that what works for us changes from week to week, month to month, season to season.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:43 PM

back for more - dd is not yet 4 (end of april) so no organized introduction of information at this point - will spend 2007 researching endlessly, as i have for the last 2 years :-)), just kicking it up a notch... but am looking at the new year as an opportunity to introduce new rhythem to our life, seasonally, monthly, weekly and daily - am enjoying it.

this morning we woke up and read books, then fed the animals, outside to water the ornamentals (big dry spell here in hawaii), in for banana pancakes, clean up the house and then out for a few errands and story time at the local bookstore.

about to have lunch, then nap (a short one for me followed by knitting, a long one for her) and not sure what hte afternoon holds...

feeling good and real excited about this thread!!!

Q: are most of you involved in a hs group? if so, is it waldorf or not? if not, is that tricky or a non-issue b/c it is more for community than academics?

am always keeping my radar up for other homeschoolers, especially with a waldorf slant...

mahalo!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konamama View Post

Q: are most of you involved in a hs group? if so, is it waldorf or not? if not, is that tricky or a non-issue b/c it is more for community than academics?
I am part of a secular HS group. We don't get into philosophy much. There are school-at-home-ers to unschoolers.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:50 PM

Yeah! Waldorf homeschooling thread. I have been hanging out at the school site on the Waldorf area just to get info. I am very very new to Waldorf. I have been homeschooling the kids for years now, but my middle son is now "school" age and I have been looking into Waldorf as it seems it would suit him in so many ways (along with my youngest son who is two).
The rhythm of the day is the hardest for me. I am so all over the place, but I really wanbt to get better at that, as it seems when we do have a way the day goes everyone (from my 12 year old to the 2 year old) seems to have a better day.
If anyone has any water color books or free form drawing book ideas I would love to hear some titles. I have no idea really what to do with that.

Thanks

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 01-02-2007, 10:33 PM

I had promised ds we would get back to school today. Since school for him pretty much equals math we did. With the holidays I didn't have tons of time to prepare so I got this from the library. It's math problems with various animals. We started writing out some of the math facts from it and will probably use all of our school days this week finishing the book. My goal is about 15-30 min of school 3 days/week.

We didn't get outside playtime in today (we live in a city) so that was a disappointment. Play outside everyday is my big goal.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:02 PM

those math books look really cool and very complementary to the waldorf way... will mark those for the future!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to come in and say that I really love to hear about everyone's days. I love to see that we are all getting inspired. We are too!

konamama~ I have been involved with Waldorf schools and groups as well as secular and inclusive hs groups. They have ave all embraced us. HS'ers are great people to be around. No worries. HS'ers have been very intrigued by my style just as much as I am by theirs.

We have had circle time for three days in a row and it has been really beautiful. I have worked really hard on rhythm. My oldest is working on wood working projects. I have incorporated regular days of baking, painting, and drawing which we all love.

Now I have a question: For those of you that use Golden Beetle who do you buy from? What other titles do you find you need to buy in conjunction or other materials?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
If anyone has any water color books or free form drawing book ideas I would love to hear some titles. I have no idea really what to do with that.

Thanks

H
Have you ever looked at this website? http://www.waldorfbooks.com/

They have some form drawing books. Just type in form drawing in the search to find book results.

Also look here for online resources:
http://www.millennialchild.com/FormDrawings01.htm
Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Can I join? I'm doing Enki Kindergarten but can learn a lot here. We're easing slowly back into our rhythm with our morning circle and some projects; baking belated gingerbread men today. Next week I'll bring in the stories and crafts.

Groups: I've tried a couple of waldorfy hs groups and they have not worked for various reasons. I go to the local hs park day when I can and some of their field trips. I probably get along better with them than the waldorf groups, funnily enough, but Ds doesn't enjoy it so much; he likes to be part of a group doing the same story, circle and craft as him. So it's been an ongoing issue. We meet now and then with other Enki folk and wish that could be a more regular thing. I fantasise about starting my own group; for all kinds of hs-ers but following an enki/waldorf rhythm.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
AM - I just wanted to say that there's no reason you have to drop Math-U-See altogether at all. Even if you want to teach the math blocks, you can still do Math U See for extra practice between blocks. We did that with the Cuisenaire Rods and Miquon. And Moontellers sounds neat, please share more!

Best wishes,

Lucie
I will definately share about the moontellers book once I crack it!!!!

I completely fell in LOVE with Living Math www.livingmath.net . I found the link on one of the recomemded websites (Wonder HS I think) and immediately fell in love with the approach. I am going to check that out and use MUS as a supplement if one is needed.

AM
Old 01-03-2007, 02:49 AM

It's so great to see so many of us being inspired and supportive of one another! I am not part of any h'schooling group as I just decided for sure 2 days ago that I was going to h'school for sure and dd is only 3 and ds only 19 months, so we are at "pre-school" level. It's been a fun 2 days though!!! Sorry I can't give any insight on math or any other subject material as we have not gotten there yet. I'd look at Lucie's website though...it's great!

Here's my question moms...what exactly is circle time and how do you do yours? Also, I of course get baking, artwork, etc, but what do you do for handwork?

Thanks for all the support and insight,
January
Old 01-03-2007, 08:07 AM

Our circle time is very informal. We will start to light a candle once we move back to the states, but at this point, I don't want to have anything else that I need to pack up. Know what I mean? We say our morning verse, do fingerplays, nursery rhymes, a poem that DS has memorized and likes to share, we say a prayer, do our letter verses for the week, sing a song that we are working on etc. Closing verse and that's it!
Michele
Old 01-03-2007, 12:45 PM

Hello, all! I am heading out to a used bookstore this afternoon. What are your favorite titles I should look for? I'm very new to this and have practically no information on Waldorf in my house. Hit me!

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

Old 01-03-2007, 02:26 PM

I too am new to Waldorf! I have read "Waldorf Education A Family Guide" although it seems to focus on the school aspects (like what to expect) it is pretty broad and easy to read and gave a good over view.
I am wondering how many of you have read anything on anthroposophy. I have read nothing and it confuses me alot.
Also, how old are your children? I have a 12y dd, 8y ds#1, 5y ds#2, 2y ds#3 and I am pregnant with #5.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 01-03-2007, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome, Rebecca! (And hello to everyone else! ) Yesterday was a bust, as I have a double ear infection and a sinus infection and was barely vertical, but so far today has been lovely. I'll jump back in later.

Oh, and I'm loving all the resource links, and hearing about everyone's days!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 01-03-2007, 04:36 PM

We're having such a great time with this that I wanted to shareAll this week, we're working on UN Living Values Peace Curricula - I'm sort of combining their two different curricula - and as part of the 8-14 curriculum we're baking a World Cake.

Baking a World Cake

We started by figuring out the best human qualities that would bake a great "cake" - a better, more peaceful world,

...then how much of each we wanted to add - the right proportions - well, the ingredients quantities got kinda huge because the sixth-grader wanted to be sure there was plenty of cake for everyone in the world!

Ingredients -
(this is totally from the kids with my only asking
them questions from the curricula)

2,000,000 ounces each:
Thoughtfulness/compassion,
Knowing right from wrong,
and Peacefulness

1,500,000 ounces each:
Helpfulness
and Strength

1,000,000 ounces each:
Communication,
Inventiveness,
and Helpfulness

500,000 ounces each:
Humor/Laughter (with a dash of naughtiness),
Intelligence,
Responsiveness/Quickness,
and Playfulness (with another dash of naughtiness)

Now today we're figuring out how to mix it:

Thou-ventiveness - inventing something that helps someone else
Mora-helpfulness - learning right from wrong by helping others in our life
Stre-peacefulness - being strong enough to not fight, and for grownups to be strong enough to not have war...

They decided that you have to have a lot of strength to have peace because you need a lot of communication to avoid fighting, communication requires pateience, and patience requires us to be very strong - that was our breakthrough moment.

Responsa-passion - being quick to help people in need

They've decided that to bake our cake we'll render aid to the people/animals in Colorado somehow and we're spending the rest of today trying to figure that out so we can start tomorrow.

This is such a refreshing way to start the year.

Lucie

P.S. MamaKass - We buy our Golden Beetle mostly from Bob & Nancy's Bookshop, though I think it's available from several sources including direct from Australia
Old 01-03-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
We're having such a great time with this that I wanted to shareAll this week, we're working on UN Living Values Peace Curricula - I'm sort of combining their two different curricula - and as part of the 8-14 curriculum we're baking a World Cake.

Baking a World Cake
This is great!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:40 PM

Wow, I am so happy to see all these waldorf inspired families. I don't post much on this board, because so much of it doesn't really apply to our lives. But, a waldorf support thread is a great idea. My girls are 6yo and 3yo.

We won't really get back into the swing of things here until next week. My mom is visiting, and it is impossible to keep to our normal rhythm. She wanted to take the girls to see a movie, but fortunately I was able to pull up the trailer for it online and show the girls, and she could see that it was just too loud and they were not really interested. So we dodged that bullet.

We did go to the mall yesterday to have portraits done at Sears. I absolutely hate the mall. Even on a Tuesday it is just garish and loud and overstimulating. Of course my youngest was exhausted and slept for 30 minutes on the way home and then was up until 9pm. I really don't appreciate how wonderful our daily rhythm is until I don't have it.

With regard to circle time, we keep it pretty simple: an opening verse and morning song (lighting a candle), some seasonal poems or finger plays or songs (usually with some props), something active (clapping game or dancing or something), and we end with two stories ( one for my 6yo and one for my 3yo). I posted the details of my Jan circle in the other waldorf "on the wagon" thread.

We are involved in two homeschool groups, one is waldorf and the other is not. There are real benefits to both.

I am thrilled to have a sounding board for beginning our first grade mail lesson. I have been doing waldorf kindergarten for the last two years, but this will be my first go at a real main lesson block. I am enjoying the prep this week and hope it runs smoothly as we get started next week.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I love the look of this and it fits so well with one of our long-term goals for our boys - the art if communication. I think I am going to buy the one for 3-7 year olds and incorporate it into our weekly/monthly rhythm. Thanks for sharing!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 01-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Lucie...thank you for sharing. That is wonderful! When I read things like that I can't wait until my kids are a little older. We can do things like that on a much smaller scale though.

Well, since Jessica brought up the movies, that goes along w/my question. Do all of you do ZERO tv? We did no tv for a while, but we are back to about 30-40 minutes a day. Usually in the late afternoon when I'm getting tired and burnt out...we pop popcorn and I put on a dvd and let them watch like 2 20 minute episodes. Don't attack me here! We used to watch 3-5 hrs of tv b/c this was one thing I didn't care about until dh came home from school one day and told me about the lesson his nuerology teacher gave him about kids watching tv. So, do you let your kids watch tv or movies and how much if ever?

January

User Tag List