How many are members of HSLDA?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering how many people are members of the Homeschool Legal Defense Association?

We are new to homeschool this year, and when I was talking to the one mother I know who homeschools, she kept telling me that I need to join and almost made me scared to begin our year without thier protection. I haven't joined yet, but it's still in the back of my mind that somebody is going to come knocking, and I won't have the legal protection I need. Please give me peace of mind on this - or tell me if it really necessary to join!! Thank you
#2 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 02:49 AM

No way. Their politics scare me and I don't agree with many of their ideas.

-Angela
#3 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 03:55 AM

I'm not in to signing or joining anything that uses fear as a tactic. Read what these guys say about HLDA. They say it better than I ever could.

This is from Home Education Magazine a few years back.

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/185/sotch.html
#4 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 03:58 AM

I agree totally!! How are the laws in colorado??- thats where you should start. In michigan they are great!! and there is no need for such a memebership. I have heard negative things about this group. Google them you will find all the info you need
#5 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 04:01 AM

You might want to check out the Homeschooling is Legal site to learn about some of the many reasons people choose not to join HSLDA.
#6 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 04:05 AM

nope and we're homeschooling in CO and the laws aren't strict here.

I wonder why your friend thinks she might need legal protection?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 AM

#8 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 AM

I'm not and I don't plan to be. On the off chance that I'm ever challenged (not likely) I can hire a lawyer on my own. I don't fit the HSLDA's profile and I'm not keen on giving $ to an org whose policies I disagree with and that doesn't even guarantee they'll defend me.
#9 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 AM

No, we're not members. For all the reasons listed above.

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#10 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 11:20 AM

I'm not a member either and don't plan to be.

In the unlikely event that I had legal trouble, I would hire my own lawyer and work with him/her in my family's best interest, not in the best interest of the HSLDA.

I agree with the previous posts that using fear to get people to join turns me off.

The best thing you can do for yourself legally is to know your state's homeschooling laws inside and out, and follow them.
#11 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 11:42 AM

They will never get a penny of my money.
#12 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 01:11 PM

Same here, nope, never. I make an effort to know and understand the laws in the state I'm living in. I abide by the law, and if ever challenged I know I'm in the right and will be fine. I'm not a Christian and I am not about to be told HOW to home educate my children. Last I read, they require one that signs up to be a Christian and to follow a cirriculum, no thanks to both.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#13 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 PM

No way.
#14 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 01:14 PM

not a member either

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#15 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 01:18 PM

Absolutely. $8 a month.

And it isn't what they do for you personally. They protect your right to homeschool in this country. That is HUGE as there are tons of attacks trying to take your right to educate your children.

They have protected rights and lobbied for rights that have positively affected my right to homeschool AND my rights in general.

For instance, in my state, homeschooled children could not fulfill their driver's education requirements at home. HSLDA lobbied the state gov't and legislation passed so that our children can now get their driver's licenses.

And the destruction that Social Services can do is a whole other story.

Also, we personally know a family that the school board/county went after for homeschooling. The legal battle to keep their children was phenomenally expensive. They lost their house and had to live in a very broken down house with the lifestyle to match, in another state for many years. They have finally turned things around financially, but it took them almost 15 years to do so. Tens of thousands of dollars.
#16 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 02:11 PM

Didn't they support recently enacted legislation that allows the armed forces to "define" homeschooling for potential candidates? If that doesn't open the door for further "defining" of homeschooling at the federal level I don't know what does. Not at all in the best interests of homeschoolers nationwide.
#17 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
Also, we personally know a family that the school board/county went after for homeschooling. The legal battle to keep their children was phenomenally expensive. They lost their house and had to live in a very broken down house with the lifestyle to match, in another state for many years. They have finally turned things around financially, but it took them almost 15 years to do so. Tens of thousands of dollars.
Just wondering how HSLDA helped this family?

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#18 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 02:17 PM

Never joined and never will, for the reasons stated by others. I've even heard (probably in one of those articles) that "legal insurance," which is what they are trying to sell, might not be legal in some states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyus3 View Post
I was just wondering how many people are members of the Homeschool Legal Defense Association?

We are new to homeschool this year, and when I was talking to the one mother I know who homeschools, she kept telling me that I need to join and almost made me scared to begin our year without thier protection. I haven't joined yet, but it's still in the back of my mind that somebody is going to come knocking, and I won't have the legal protection I need. Please give me peace of mind on this - or tell me if it really necessary to join!! Thank you
#19 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 03:14 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Some years ago, I succumbed to their scare tactics, and joined the HSLDA, without researching their political positions, I confess. Didn't occur to me they had a larger agenda. I soon started receiving emails about their potical and religious beliefs, making the assumption that I was also a conservative, Republican, Christian (none of the above). I wrote back and asked if I couldn't please have the legal support they promised without the propaganda. Basically, no. So I cancelled my membership. As loudly as I could.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#20 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 03:29 PM

I wouldn't touch HSLDA with a 10-foot pole. I don't like the way they mix causes and assume they speak for all homeschoolers.

It's been quite some time since I read all the anti-HSLDA material out there, but I'm under the impression that HSLDA is actually responsible for the restrictive homeschooling laws some states have. Sure, they "fought" for the legal right to homeschool; and the states compromised by creating individual statutes that are less than friendly in some areas.
#21 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 03:32 PM

Not a member, never will be. I can't support any organization that discriminates against homosexuals and religions other than Christianity.

If I feel the need to get legal protection, I'll join an umbrella school like Clonlara. Then my kids would technically be in private school, but in reality they'd be at home with me, and we'd have complete freedom to homeschool (or unschool) however we wish.
#22 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeresse View Post
Didn't they support recently enacted legislation that allows the armed forces to "define" homeschooling for potential candidates? If that doesn't open the door for further "defining" of homeschooling at the federal level I don't know what does. Not at all in the best interests of homeschoolers nationwide.
Yes, they did. Here's a great blog about it. The links on the right are very informative. For anyone who's interested, Helen, the editor of HEM, also had quite a few great blog posts about it (read them in reverse order - from the bottom up).
#23 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tadpoles View Post
It's been quite some time since I read all the anti-HSLDA material out there, but I'm under the impression that HSLDA is actually responsible for the restrictive homeschooling laws some states have. Sure, they "fought" for the legal right to homeschool; and the states compromised by creating individual statutes that are less than friendly in some areas.
That's the impression I'm under as well. I know that the statewide homeschool org is affiliated with HSLDA (you have to be a member of HSLDA to be a member of the org) and their requirements for assesment go WAY beyond what the law requires. They want things like curriculum lists, an outrageous number of work samples, quarterly progress reports and talk about how they need to make sure that "records were kept according to State requirements" : Umm...state law no way requires all that stuff!
#24 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
Just wondering how HSLDA helped this family?
They weren't members. They lost so much.

They are now. And now are living back in the state with no problems.
#25 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
They weren't members. They lost so much.

They are now. And now are living back in the state with no problems.

They could have just as easily joined an umbrella school (one with no discrimination issues) and been fine as well. There are ways to bypass inconveniences without compromising integrity.
#26 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! I had no idea people felt this way about them. Thank you for all of the reading and imput. I really don't see why I would have any problem with social services or otherwise. My only concern is that I homeschool my neice, who's parents are both currently in jail/halfway house. She lives with me part time, and with her grandmother the other time. We are following all of the state laws, we had some trouble taking her out of the public school system last spring, and that is when I was most concerned. I just really don't want to put my children's chance to homeschool in jeopardy.

So, nobody has had any issues with social services at any time so far??
(aside from the couple that had a friend in trouble)
That's great to hear!
#27 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 05:51 PM

I wouldn't join HSLDA, even if they were the only hs group! Which they aren't.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#28 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 06:04 PM

Nope here too.
#29 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Not a member either, and I wish they wouldn't pretend to speak for me.
#30 of 55 Old 01-04-2007, 09:29 PM

When I first started hsing, I felt very nervous cause of the laws and the public school system. Being a single mom, I was really worried someone was gonna knock on my door and say, prove that you're schooling your kids or something like that. Of course, it never happened.

We've never joined HSLDA and probably never will. Even though I've never been a member, I will say this though. From time to time, I would go to their website and just check on things for my state. About 2 yrs or so ago, their was a law that was changed regarding testing. It was a new school year and they had misinformation regarding my state with tests. I called them and told them about it. The lady said we haven't heard about it and blah blah. I think a couple of weeks had passed and I saw that they STILL had the wrong info regarding tests. I decided to email them and tell them yet again and I also gave them the homeschool education dept's number and contact person. Anyway, they finally corrected it. The only reason I did all of that is cause I was worried that hsing families might get in trouble regarding tests.

My point is, (yes, there's a point LOL) be careful with dealing with HSLDA cause they don't always have the right info. They sure as heck didn't for our state. I lost a lot of respect for them after that.

I think people who are new to hsing should check out the state dept of education (hsing part) to find out the right laws and such BEFORE you go shelling out money. JMO

I'm a single, self-employed, homeschooling mom of 2 great kids. Girl 9/95 and Boy 3/99.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page