Magic Treehouse books? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what do you think of the Magic Treehouse books?

There is a show being offered based on this book series...they go to the moon. Thinking of taking ky kids to the show and thought we'd read about them first.

Hoping our library will have some.

Do your kids like these books? Do you?
#2 of 18 Old 01-09-2007, 11:50 PM

We like them here...my son (6 almost 7) who loves to be read to has about 25 of the books. We have read him pretty sophisticated stuff, but he still likes to go back to these. We are re-reading them currently as a "homeschooling" activity and we will read more about each subject they cover.
I like them because they are tame, not scary and about kids who are interested in exploring and learning.
Some of the books are better than others and they get more sophisticated as the series goes along.
I am hoping my DS1 will read them to DS2 (18 months) when he is ready for them. We started reading them to DS1 when he was 4 or maybe three.

Hope this helped.
Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#3 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 AM

Is it a planetarium show? If it is, we saw it and thought it was great. We hadn't read the books before we went, but it didn't matter at all.

We enjoy the books now as well.
#4 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 05:30 AM

The stories are fun.

The first few though, I really don't know how they made it through the editing process; they're pretty bad. If you're reading to the child, you can verbally edit on the fly. I don't know what to do about an independant reader except let them know that there are a lot of mistakes. I mean, I learned how to write properly, through reading. These books can not be used for that purpose.

The later ones are better though.
#5 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 11:57 AM

These books are by no means great literature; they are formulaic and simple.

However, my kids have learned VAST amounts from these books and they have been a springboard for learning about, among other things, the 1906 SF earthquake, volcanoes, constellations, paper-making, Native Americans, the rainforest, the Arctic/Antarctic, Egypt ...

The kids LOVE them. Jack and Annie are definitely friends in our household.

Namaste!
#6 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 12:28 PM

My first child liked the first few books I read to her when she was about 4 or 5, not reading on her own. But she quickly tired of them, and I was glad because they were torture to read aloud. The writing is less than wonderful.

She will tolerate the non-fiction books that go along with the fiction, but even these don't light a big spark for her, so we generally pass them by.

I know other kids who improved their reading quickly and enthusiastically by reading these books, and the books can be used to introduce a history topic, for example, but they aren't popular in our house.
#7 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 02:03 PM

We like them. I'm amazed at how much DS (5 yrs old) remembers from these books. He calls them "Jack and Annie books" so even though the French versions call the kids Tom and Lea, I keep them as Jack and Annie if I'm reading one in French. For now my DS is an only child but I still appreciate the positive sibling relationship that Jack and Annie have.
#8 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM

Reading them drove me batty, so my kids have enjoyed listening to them on tape. They are a terrific springboard for learning about all sorts of people and places.
#9 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 03:08 PM

We just got 4 of the stories on tape from the library. My DS, young 4, sits through listening very intently. He'll listen for up to an hour! (What a nice break for me!)

I haven't seen the books yet though.

Does anyone know if the taped version is read straight from the book?
TIA

Janet is life learning and loving life with: Devin (10/02) :nana and The Littles through Marty (04/06) and Skye (05/08)
#10 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 03:13 PM

My oldest ds and I love them.....my ds them reads out loud to me.
#11 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 03:46 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I find them such poor literature that I couldn't stomach reading them aloud. I gave up after one or two. However, they were fun and enjoyable for a couple of my kids when they were stuck at the 'not-quite-ready-for-real-chapter-books' phase of reading acquisition. I would save them for new readers myself, because there's so much better-written stuff for young children to listen to.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#12 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 04:01 PM

I echo the sentiments of almost everyone here. My DS loves them. DH picked up number 9 (Dolphins as Daybreak) first, not realizing it was a series. When we decided to start at the beginning, it was hard because they were so much worse than the later ones. However, DS has learned so much in from these books. He loves the books and has great affection for Jack and Annie. I have learned to mentally tune out when I read them.
#13 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 04:25 PM

We have rope ladder in tree we call our Jack and Annie ladder....It's led to wonderful imaginative play.
#14 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama View Post
These books are by no means great literature; they are formulaic and simple.

However, my kids have learned VAST amounts from these books and they have been a springboard for learning about, among other things, the 1906 SF earthquake, volcanoes, constellations, paper-making, Native Americans, the rainforest, the Arctic/Antarctic, Egypt ...

The kids LOVE them. Jack and Annie are definitely friends in our household.

Namaste!
:
They have another thumbs up from my boys, but i have gently introduced a variety of other books too as the style is not great and they are very simplistic, not on for a booker or anything and there are so darn many of them that my eldest read nothing else for months...........
#15 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 04:55 PM

They are a favorite here in our houes! DS started listening to them when he was 3-4 years old. We bought a bunch from scholastic and have borrowed some from the library he eagerly awaits teh next book. (We're reading them in order) I wanted to get him the Christmas in Camelot one for Christams but DH said no caus ewe weren't that far in teh series yet and it would make him eager to skip around (and DS doesnt' want to read them out of order and it woudl but him to have ti sitting there and not be able to read it)
#16 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I got the stories on CD but they never piqued ds' interest.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#17 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 06:45 PM

I do have to admit that the voice that Mary Pope Osborne uses for Annie drives me absolutely batty.
#18 of 18 Old 01-11-2007, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have all of the books. They've been a big hit here. I read the Camelot one aloud and found it to be interesting. My children find them entertaining, and they've led to some map-questing and more reading in nonfiction books. I think they've provided both enjoyment and also some spark. They also kept my older child very content when I had a high-need and ill baby and toddler who needed almost all that I had for about two years.

peace,
teastaigh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page