What is your QUICKEST response to the Socialization question? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I mean, besides "no".

For example, a woman dropped something off at my house and was walking out the door to an appointment (didn't have time to sit and chat), but was asking questions like "Why did you decide to homeschool?" "For my DD, I would just worry about the socialization". I would love to give a nice lengthy answer to this, but can't think of a short, to-the-point, not-sarcastic response... one that can make her walk away thinking, you know? I seem to get this alot, where I need a very short response.

All I could think of was "we do plenty of stuff with other kids"... just didn't seem to make the point of "your head is screwed on backwards if you think ... blahblahblah"

any help?

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#2 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 12:52 AM

For DS1, who was pulled out of PS half way through first grade, "Yes, I worry about socialization, too. That's why I pulled him out of school."

For DS2, who is HFA and never been to school, "Ridiculed(sp?) for being different ISN'T socialization!"
#3 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 AM

Oh! Sorry, I just saw you wanted non sarcastic, . I'm not real good with those!:

You could laugh it off and say "If we socialized anymore we wouldn't have time for school work!"

Or is that sacastic too ?
#4 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

I know! I can't think of anything that's not sarcastic! I am kind of dealing with moms who feel a HUGE need to defend their choice of public schooling, which makes me wonder if they're really wanting to homeschool deep inside? I thought sarcasm wouldn't go over well, and seems like there's a response that would be more thought provoking... hmmm...

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#5 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 01:03 AM

Perhaps we just need to coin a term for the type of socialization homeschoolers get. You know, make it more "official"!

How about "whole life socialization"?? or "an interdisiplinary approach to social correctness"??

:
#6 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
"an interdisiplinary approach to social correctness"??

:
I think that's enough coffee for you tonight!

#7 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 01:13 AM

DH is know to quip "Oh, we steal their lunch money and make fun of them at least once a week!" or "We don't lock them in a closet, they get pleny of social interaction".

I always got in trouble for "socializing" in school.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#8 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 01:16 AM

It depends on the person but I usually say something like "a lot of the socialization at school is negative" and people rarely disagree. Sometimes I go into more depth and explain our very busy life full of varied social commitments.

What gets me is that often a stranger will meet one of my kids, comment on how articulate and sociable they are then ask that old question about socialization.

Sam in Sydney
#9 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 01:19 AM

I dunno, why don't you just list some of the ways your kids socialize, i.e. - friends, neighbors, relatives, playgroups, church, other homeschool groups, etc. etc. etc.

That way you've answered their question. Otherwise, how would they know?

P.S. - I know a homeschooler and her kids probably get more "socialization" than my two non-homeschooled kids do.
#10 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 AM

I say that we have so many socialization opportunities that we could be busy every day all day socializing if we wanted to be. (Of course that means absolutely nothing, but either does the question about socialization.)
#11 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 01:46 AM

I just make it about me, hoping to diffuse their defensiveness.

"My kids live in a small house with 6 people. If they aren't socialized at home, the problem is bigger than we all think."

Usually people think that's funny and true.

If they say, "My child is an only child so that wouldn't be true for me," I just laugh and say, "when it comes to education methods, I only have to worry about my family. This is working for us!"

I just am tired of the question. "It works for my family" is often not good enough, they want to challenge me to see how I could make it work for their family. When they don't even want to do it!

I want people to understand that it is not my job to solve America's education crisis. Not on a national level, not case-by-case. I'm just one mama, making choices for the best life for my own children. I might try to fix the world when they grow up but I'll probably be too tired.

oops, I'll get off my soapbox, sorry (can I have some of frog's coffee?)
#12 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagewinna View Post
DH is know to quip "Oh, we steal their lunch money and make fun of them at least once a week!"
:
#13 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 02:00 AM

i was asked this morning if i was afraid my kids would be 'social retards'...

i said that there are kids that go to public school their entire life and are STILL 'social retards'. i also think that if my kid is going to be shy, then she's shy, if she's outgoing, she's outgoing regardless of how many playgroups she attends. it's a personality trait kwim?

blogging.jpg 
#14 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 02:02 AM

I think someone who uses the term 'retard' should have maybe had a different education. In a homeschool environment it is a little easier to model kind behavior and lack of name-calling.
#15 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 02:28 AM

I usually say, "Actually, I find the socializing aspect way better since we started homeschooling. The kids have a lot more true friends out in the real world who they choose to be with - instead of being forced to tolerate the same 27 kids for 35 hours a week in a cramped classroom".

Shuts 'em up every time.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#16 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townmouse View Post
I think someone who uses the term 'retard' should have maybe had a different education. In a homeschool environment it is a little easier to model kind behavior and lack of name-calling.
i couldn't agree more, i was pretty disgusted.

blogging.jpg 
#17 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My favorite:
"I just love being with my children" said with a beaming smile and then just
walk away.

It's very positive, gets them thinking, and also kind of lets people know that we homeschool because we love our children and also like them.

I have some variations on this theme for when I get the often, dismissing, "Oh, I could never homeschool." If it isn't said nicely, they get, from me, "Well, it isn't for everyone, but it is for us. I just love being with
my children."

By the way, it's true. I do love being with my children. I'm one lucky girl.

peace,
teastaigh
#18 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolapunk View Post
i was asked this morning if i was afraid my kids would be 'social retards'...

i said that there are kids that go to public school their entire life and are STILL 'social retards'. i also think that if my kid is going to be shy, then she's shy, if she's outgoing, she's outgoing regardless of how many playgroups she attends. it's a personality trait kwim?
"Social retard?"
I would have replied, "You learned that in public school didn't you?"

My favorite retort for the "socialization" label is-
The type of social skills I learned in school and that are still taught today are not something I would want my kids exposed to.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#19 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 05:12 AM

I usually say something like "If we had any more socialization, we wouldn't have time to sleep. Ds is one busy little guy!"
#20 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 09:54 AM

My *quickest* answer to "what about socialization?" is "They are socialized." My kids are very polite and they play very well with other children. So, from my point of view, they are socialized. If someone clarifies that they are asking about social opps, I would tell them that we belong to a homeschool group with lots of kids.
#21 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 11:23 AM

Well, I have generally found the quickest way to move on from something I don't want to talk about is making a statement "I don't see that as our problem" and then asking them a question ("my ds is loving this karate class, what about your dc?")

I have also answered with, "well, that was also a HUGE concern of mine (not really, but showing sympathy to the questioner), but then I did the math. At school ds had a bit less than 5 hours or recess time, now that we homeschool we have playdates during the week that easily exceed that 5 hours". And, sometimes, I say (if I am feeling cranky), "You know, I really like that I am at least in the same space when those playdates are occur, I have noticed that sometimes smaller children need help working out frustration, anger or other issues when they play" (let those people connect the dots about socialization during recess!)

And, because I am on a roll, one thing that just came up, is that well, at school kids can see their best friend every single day (sit with them at lunch, stand in line, meet up during recess). To that I simply say, you are right that exact type of socializing does not occur in our homeschooling life.
#22 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 03:35 PM

: Love these responses.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#23 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 04:30 PM

If her statement was "I worry about socialization," then I might just say, "I don't worry about that" and leave it at that.
#24 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
"Social retard?"
I would have replied, "You learned that in public school didn't you?"
I love it!! (and probably oh so true)

I'm the type to come back with one of the earlier sarcastic responses.
#25 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM

Actually, I usually just tell them about homeschool groups - lots of people have no concept that we actually do spend as much time out as in...but I try not to be too negative as I'm in a small town. Sometimes what comes off as confrontation is truly curiosity...just on a subject that we're all tired of.

Oddly enough, these usually come up on flag football sidelines, scout meetings, and other places whre my children are "socializing."

Lucie
#26 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 05:37 PM

My snarky response is, "Have you talked to my daughter?"

My less snarky response is, "Actively participating in the greater community every day is more socialization than any school child gets."

I mean, the kiddo is only 2 and will happily carry on a full conversation with an adult once she knows them. She says "please" and all those polite words, often without prompting. She takes turns talking and likes to make new friends. How much more "socialized" should any child under, say, 10 be?
#27 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 07:41 PM

my personal favorite response:
I don't know about YOU, but every single day of school I was reminded, "you're not here for socializing"

Lucky for us, our whole life is about socializing -- my formerly-schooled self is making up for lost time

~diana
P.S. Whenever anyone uses the word REtard around us, I assure them we are merely "tarded" it stuck the first time and have no need to have it done to us again!! (hence re-tarded)

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#28 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 07:52 PM

I tend to ask, "How much time do children get in school for socializing?" I know in our school here the children have one 15 minute recess, aren't allowed to talk at lunch, and most teachers don't allow much talking in the classroom either. They usually agree with this and let it go.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#29 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 10:01 PM

Didn't read all the post but my short answer to folk is, "Socialization? Oh, that's never been a problem. My kids know how to socialize with all ages and backgrounds being not in a school setting". And if they are referring to having a group of friends near their own age, I just tell them the truth. "They have a great group of friends, schooled and non schooled.
#30 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby View Post
I usually say something like "If we had any more socialization, we wouldn't have time to sleep. Ds is one busy little guy!"
That's pretty much the route I go down. I exclaim that he has about 50 friends who are homeschooled (which is true) and we see some of them every single day. He socializes with people of all ages, much more so than schooled kids.

I do SO get sick of this question. My own father kept saying, "You are going to ruin him; he's so social..." But I just took him to our homeschooling co-op for a kick-in-the-pants, and now he leaves it alone. He sees that my son is RARELY without another child/adult by his side.

Marie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page