Mothering Forum banner

art supplies?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  stormborn 
#1 ·
Hi! I hope this is in the right forum. I want to get my 2.5 year old some art supplies. Are there any reasons I need to buy natural and/or organic paints, etc. for him to use? There seem to be crazy carcinogenic chemicals in damn near everything
and I'd rather go ahead and buy the natural stuff now if I'll have to worry about that anyhow. I hope I make sense!

<MG>
~Nay

See less See more
#2 ·
As far as I know the paints and art supplies I buy for the kids art studio that I run are clearly marked non toxic. Just don't be buying her things like oil based paints and such. Get her some good quality water colors and good brushes. Some decent paper and if you want to get paper that is not bleached for drawing you can always get newsprint.

Here is a link for some fabulous good water colors and brushes
that wont break your wallet.

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...=cake%20temera

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...eyword=brushes

#3 ·
I like most of discount school supplies stuff. I wouldn't get their brand of tempera paint though. It has been flaking when drying. They sent me a different batch of paint and I had the same problem.
: I have used most of their paints in the past and never had a problem.

Once we are out of caryola crayons, we are going to invest in the stockmar crayons.

I just orderd Squishy, Squashy, which is an olive oil based playdough for the tub. (
art in the tub is always fun)

I try to use scrap paper for painting but I really believe that kids need big paper to paint on, so I did order big paper from them.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon View Post
I I wouldn't get their brand of tempera paint though. It has been flaking when drying. .
Not to highjack but brendon, do you know of a good brand of tempera paint? I did not care for Discount's brand as well. I wish I could find something as good as Apple Barrel (Wal-mart brand). Any ideas?

#6 ·
: That play dough sounds awesome!

#7 ·
Hmmm...I think we ended up with crayola because it just doesn't seem to flake. Yes, we did switch to crayola.

For awhile we were using water colors because the paint mess was driving me nuts. (big disks from discount school) and the colors were so vivid. girls love water colors.

also fun: shaving cream (colgate brand from dollar tree, with aloe)

I tend to buy from constructive play things as well. (I worked in a daycare center up till this fall)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.