Mothering Forum banner

Trying to make the decision

383 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  callmemama 
#1 ·
A year ago at this time I would have said without a doubt in my mind that I would definitely homeschool my kids for as long as possible, preferably through graduation. However, certain circumstances in my life are making me seriously reconsider this decision.

1. I have gone back to school full time and am now going through a divorce. I may be needing to take on some part time work too, in order to make ends meet.

2. My ex is moving into one of the best school districts in the state (all the schools in this district have won national blue ribbon awards), a school district that I am also very familiar with, because I am a former teacher who was employed there before having children. He feels that neither of us will have the time to properly devote to hsing and that we should send our oldest dd to the school district he's moving to (she will be 5 in April) next school year. He feels that it's the best school district around and since I know many of the teachers and how the schools are run, I could better foresee what potential issues might be.

3. My oldest is quite probably gifted and I wonder if I will be able to sufficiently challenge her to her fullest potential. I've thought that perhaps cyberschooling would be a good compromise, since the curriculum would be designed and I'd only have to do implementation , which would be less time-consuming. However, I also feel I need to be realistic about whether or not I'd really be able to keep up with it. Because I am due to run out of federal loan money for college by the end of next school year, I have to cram in 19 credits each semester from here on out in order to finish, and I am earning a rather demanding degree (physics and astronomy).

I am a huge supporter of hsing, but I'm really not sure I'm going to be able to pull it off. How has anyone who is in a shared custody or working/school situation handled juggling homeschooling with everything else in their lives? Am I a hypocrite if I throw in the towel on the idea and send my dd to school next year?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that the hypocrisy of it all is debatable.

I'm not "homeschooling for excellence," though my older boy is what the schools call "gifted," too. We have always been relaxed and eclectic hsers, and now we are unschoolers. My kids aren't HSed solely because I think I can do a better job at educating them (although I think I could if I were so inclined), but because I don't agree with the way schools "educate." So, if I were to send my kids back to school, I would feel a bit like a hypocrite, as the way my boys learn is part of a bigger lifestyle.

My kids' dad and I split up a couple of years ago. I had just started back to school (full-time) when he decided he didn't want to be part of our family anymore. Rather than put my kids in school, I quit school and got a job. Before I know it, they'll be grown and on their own, and I can go to school then.

I'm not saying that's what you should do. Your reasons for homeschooling may be drastically different than mine. Your own schooling is obviously something that's very important to you. Doing whatever's best for your family doesn't make you a hypocrite. I think that being a SAHM would be in my kids' best interest, but that's not going to happen, and we make do.

#3 ·
Sarah, so sorry to hear your life has turned upside down. I just wanted to point out a couple of things.

1. We tell people they don't have to decide to homeschool forever. Well, you don't have to decide to public school forever, even if you decide that will work best for right now.

2. In my state, compulsory school attendance begins at age 7. Depending on the rules of your state, you could have some more time to make this decision. On the flip side, if funds are tight, school is free childcare.

3. We all have different ideas about how children, more specifically our own children, learn best. My family has adopted an unschooling approach, but that definitely doesn't mean ignoring the child! If your oldest is gifted, the freedom to follow her interests (with your active participation) might really allow her to blossom to her full potential.

That was more than a couple, wasn't it?
Seriously though, I can empathize with your situation, although it does not match mine exactly. I am currently looking for work and making weekend/night shifts a priority in my job hunt. Some companies even pay health benefits which is a big savings in itself. Good luck with whatever you decide! And remember, what you decide now can change later based on your circumstances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.