Homeschooling and working full time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-17-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this possible? Has anyone done it?

My work is very flexible and from home... but I still have full time hours (though I can rearrange those hours if need be).

DD is only 16 months so we're a long ways off, but it seems like we never have time for anything anyway.

DH is DD's caregiver during the day while I work. It would be a beautiful arrangement if he could homeschool her, but I don't think he is the right person for that.

Thoughts?

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-17-2007, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm more of an unschooler so don't see the need for much structure. I would say that arrangement could work fine, especially if dh is willing to take her on outings to museums or parkday gatherings. Even with a more structured approach, schoolwork doesn't take that much time, an hour or two per day, tops.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 8 Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 PM

Im doing it. There is a yahoo group for work and homeschool.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#4 of 8 Old 01-17-2007, 06:14 PM

In about 2 weeks, I will be attempting it. I just switched jobs. I am going from working Sat and Sun 8 hours each shift to Fri-Sun 12 hours each shift. Since it is mids, we should be able to swing it. I will be home most of the week and if I have to nap, we can always do lessons in the evening or something. At least that is the plan DH can do some pick up lessons on the weekend as well. Our schooling only takes 3-4 hours, so it should be doable. I just may never have a clean house again
#5 of 8 Old 01-18-2007, 12:59 AM

I am doing it.
#6 of 8 Old 01-18-2007, 03:27 AM

I'm a single mother and work 30-40 hours a week. When ds was younger I worked less, worked weekend evenings with babysitters and an overnight daycare. Now that ds is 13, I've taken a job managing a restaurant with very irregular hours. I spend a lot more time planning than I used to. I've found that unschooling doesn't really work well when I'm not home as much, and I have to really plan out meals and my time, so I don't waste time I could be spending with ds. It's not the ideal situation, but we're both really happy not to be totally poor anymore. Lentil soup and free shows in the park get a little wearing after 10 years or so, lol. The trade off is less time and a somewhat more structured lifestyle, but we both think it's worth it right now.

You don't necessarily have to homeschool during "school" hours, either. When ds was younger we did most of more meaningful work in the evening, when we are both much more alert and enthusiastic (neither of us are morning people), and daytime was mostly for field trips and museums, and going out for long, leisurely lunches.

My 1st choice would always to be at home with ds all the time, but that has just never been possible, and working has had some benefits for us as a family (besides the money), in that ds is much more independent and self-possessed and confident than most other 13yo's that I know, because he's had to try to figure stuff out for himself (like what to do when the toilet overflows and mom isn't home!) He knows how to buy groceries for himself, how to make meals for himself, he has a tremendous amount of confidence in himself, and is constantly amazed by how much his friends don't know about what he thinks are basic things, like taking care of money, fixing household items, making himself a meal (and even more amazed at how many of our *adult* neighbors will ask him for help with fixing toilets or putting up shelves because they don't know how to use tools, measure accurately, and think their way through a problem).

Ali
#7 of 8 Old 01-18-2007, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
DD is only 16 months so we're a long ways off, but it seems like we never have time for anything anyway.
I work full-time OTH, but my kids are older.

Just to let you know, you will feel like you have more time for things when your child is more self-sufficient.
#8 of 8 Old 01-18-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tadpoles View Post
I work full-time OTH, but my kids are older.

Just to let you know, you will feel like you have more time for things when your child is more self-sufficient.

Ah, that is so good to hear.

I think maybe it's even more of an issue for us than most parents of 16 month olds, because she has some mild physical development delays, and therefore someone needs to be right there with her at all times or she'll fall hard and hurt herself (more than the average baby). Fortunately it seems we're within a month of her being able to walk independently - and while for most parents this means a whole new set of challenges, I think for us we'll be relieved to be able to be in the same room with her but not actually spotting her. And therefore we'll be able to do things like fold laundry, pick up, sweep - all these things that right now we need one person watching the baby while the other does the chore.

Well, that's all way off topic, but just responding to that comment.

My DH is very open to homeschooling, but he doesn't see how we can do it with us both working, even with the vast amounts of flexibility. Currently we're considering ALL options - public school, homeschool, Catholic school, private school. I'm pretty sure that private school will be a HUGE strain on our finances, and maybe Catholic school too. I personally think of all the options, homeschool is the best, but I realize we will have to put a lot of effort into it (and the extracurics). I'm not sure if I'd be a "strict" unschooler but I also don't lean the other way either, with lots of structure and stuff.

Anyway, we're not anywhere near that, I just wanted to start this thread to ask if it was even possible, and it's good to hear that it can be.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page