Mothering Forum banner

Question for hsing mamas in Virginia

470 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  bluehalo 
#1 ·
Have any of you ever used a portfolio to report "adequate yearly progress"? What needs to be reported in there and what have you done in yours? Also, according to some sites that I've seen, VA only requires you to report for LA and Math. It that true? Is there any other first-hand info you could give me? I'll be sending out my very first NOI in August.

Thank you!!

#2 ·
We just moved to VA a few months ago, and I recently submitted my NOI. It's true, you only need to show proof of progress in Math and Language Arts. It can be through portfolio, testing, or via an "evaluation" with a private tester/evaluator. I decided to go w/ the testing option ... I sent away for a CAT, looked it over, and determined that my DS would have no problem with it. I'll administer it over the next week or so, and then be *done*
With the portfolio option, I felt like I was always putting pressure on myself to present things or create lessons in ways that would translate well to the portfolio, not necessarily in ways that were best suited to DS's interest or personality. In our case, having the *option* to take the test is working out very nicely for us. I know that's not exactly what you were asking, but I figured I'd add my unsolicited advice just for kicks

A really great source for information is VAHomeschoolers.org ... they have *tons* of details about all the legalities, etc. Also, there are a few great VA homeschooling yahoo groups ... one is called "VAEclecticHS", and another is "Homeschool-VA-Chat".

Hope this helps some!

#3 ·
I homeschooled in Virginia for three years (2001-2004).

Yes, it's true that you only have to report for LA and math. Also, if you use a standardized test, the child only has to be at or above the 23rd percentile (or 4th stanine) to be considered "passing."

I decided that, as much as I detest standardized tests, it was far easier to administer a CAT than to assemble a portfolio. Especially since my kids didn't do a lot of worksheets and other busywork.

#4 ·
I also hs in VA.

I use the CAT test for my teen and will use it for my youngers when the time comes.

I have heard lots of horror stories about the portfolios not meet up to whomever is in charge of evaluating them. They are too subjective. So testing is the safest way to go for us.

HTH

#5 ·
We hsed in NC prior and were required to test. Now that we're in VA and have options, I think we'll stick with the test since it's easier imo.

The kids don't mind the tests (DS14 finds them mundane, but prefers them to a portfolio, and DD8 finds them fun). It's also less paper work for me to keep track of and have on file. It's easier to "show proof of progress", which means no chance of disputations from the powers that be.

#6 ·
Thank you for your replies mamas!

I'm not keen on having dd take a Standardized Test. It's just not something that I feel comfortable with right now. But I thank you all very much for your input. I hope that I live in an easier county than the rest of you. LOL!

If there is anymore info that anyone would like to share, personal experiences hsing in VA, I'd love to hear them!

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvnmommyhood View Post
If there is anymore info that anyone would like to share, personal experiences hsing in VA, I'd love to hear them!
The folks in VA who hs for religious reasons treat secular hsers like they have the plague. If you are not hsing for religious reasons, I suggest being very upfront about it, else you and your child will only get hurt when you are shunned at a later date. BTDT, too many times.

If you ARE hsing for religious reasons, my intention was not to offend you. Maybe you'd be the exception to the rule.

There are several homeschooling support lists in Virginia on Yahoo Groups, which is where I found most of my hs acquaintances/friends while we lived there.

I never had any problems with my local superintendent (we lived in Suffolk). It all went very smoothly, and he never tried to ask for more than is required by law (wish I could say the same thing for Rhode Island).

#8 ·
Quote:

Thank you for your replies mamas!

I'm not keen on having dd take a Standardized Test. It's just not something that I feel comfortable with right now. But I thank you all very much for your input. I hope that I live in an easier county than the rest of you. LOL!

My intention was really not to "scare" you that some counties are "hard" to deal w/ via the portfolio option ... yes, the stories I've heard have varied widely from county to county, but still, I don't think it's anything a bit of careful planning, organization, etc. won't help with.

I'm not a Standardized Test fan, either ... which is why initially I rejected the idea totally ... but I did reconsider it later and finally came to realize that despite my knee-jerk, "anti-testing" reaction, getting a simple test over and done with in actuality left us with more time and freedom to homeschool as we wish. I totally understand that some families choose not to go that route, and I like I mentioned earlier, I'm grateful that we have *choices* regarding how we show our Proof of Progress.

Good luck

#9 ·
I agree with Christine. In my county, the gal in charge of hsers is very easy to work with.

Now, I don't know how it would be if we chose the "portfolio" direction, but I find that doing the test, getting it done and over with, is easier for us. I'm not a big fan of testing either, but imo it's easier, quicker and less stressful than doing a portfolio. I also don't like having a bunch of paper work sitting in a file. I like that with a test, there is no arguing the child in question is above the required % (which isn't hard).

I'd go by the "feel" of any conversations you've had with your county hs person, on whether it'll be a pain or not. If anything call up that person and ask what kind of things would be good for the portfolio, knowing that you are only required to show proof of advancement in Math and Lang. Arts, and know what is considered "required" for that age/grade level in the SOL.

I wish you well.

2tadpoles
Wow, I guess it's a good thing I don't feel the need to be in a hsing group. The atmosphere in NC around hsing was very religious based, but I was never shunned for not being Christian. 'Course I never really talked about it, and I never joined any hsing groups. I've been told by the gal that does the hsing stuff for the county schools, that we have a huge hsing community here, but like NC, I figured anything set up would be very religious based and my children wouldn't be well accepted due to our spiritual paths. so why bother.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseccup View Post
2tadpoles [/B] Wow, I guess it's a good thing I don't feel the need to be in a hsing group. The atmosphere in NC around hsing was very religious based, but I was never shunned for not being Christian. 'Course I never really talked about it, and I never joined any hsing groups.
My kids and I are rather extroverted, and we also liked participating in group field trips and the co-ops that groups can offer.

We did find a local, inclusive group when we lived in Suffolk. So, it all turned out okay in the end.

#11 ·
You mamas are awesome! Thank you for being here to bounce questions off of.

I guess with me, the test option is just a PITA. I don't want dd to start to think that all that's important to learn is what's on the test, or that she didn't do "well enough" b/c of the % she received. Kwim? But, those are my hangups right now and I guess I shouldn't really worry about that unless she says something. It's up to me not to let think that way, right? Make sure she knows that there is far more to learn than just what she'd be tested on.

I think I may have lucked out in regards to the HS person in our district. She used to work with Special Ed., then moved to HSing. She sat in on my dds IEP meeting for speech therapy 2 yrs ago and still remembered my dd and I. The funny thing is, she said that judging by how involved I was in the meeting and the speech classes in general, she said that she wasn't surprised that I decided to hs too. I don't know if I'm reading too much into it, but maybe that's a good thing...what she said? Hopefully??

Another question? Where do you all order your tests? How much do they cost?

#12 ·
Quote:

I guess with me, the test option is just a PITA. I don't want dd to start to think that all that's important to learn is what's on the test, or that she didn't do "well enough" b/c of the % she received. Kwim?

Another question? Where do you all order your tests? How much do they cost?
It's so funny that I'm here posting encouraging people to consider testing as an option ... b/c I'm so anti testing deep down ... but I guess what's so nice is that here in VA, it being an *option*, and since we do have to show some kind of proof of progress, I just wouldn't want others to have the same knee-jerk reaction to rule it out (testing) that I originially did.

I ordered the test from this site: http://www.setontesting.com/ ... it's $25 and you can administer it at your pace. The other thing I really like about Seton is that they return the score to *you*, not the school district, and then you submit it to the superintendent yourself.

I really haven't played up the significance of it at all to my DS ... I just kind of showed him how to fill in the circles and have approached it as a funny thing we'll do this year so we can keep homeschooling. He doesn't even know that he has to achieve a certain score (and I think it's just over the lower 25%ile anyway...) , so there's no pressure at all. He's tends to be an anxious child, so I've been very careful to keep it low key so he doesn't pick up on any anxiety I might inadvertently be conveying.

Oh, the other cool thing about Seton is that you can order the test, peruse it, and if you don't think it will work out for you guys, you can return it w/in 45 days for a full refund.

It sounds like you might have a really low key, low pressure person to report to w/ your portfolio, so that might be the best option for you guys. I'd just really encourage you to examine all of your options. Given our style of homeschooling, it was just feeling really contrived constantly coming up with "portfolio fodder", and that stress is what eventually led me to consider the testing option. For example, we do "Language Arts" while we read together, just pointing out things, grammer issues, literary devices, etc. He does keep a journal, but aside from that, I don't have a lot to "show" for proof of progress for Language Arts. Now I don't have to worry about it. I would have hated to have to print out a bunch of worksheets for DS to do just to "fluff up" our portfolio, yk? But, if you guys are already doing that kind of stuff, and it's working for you, then that's cool too

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.