anyone want to start a Kindy thread? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 01-28-2007, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally got around to reading this whole thread, and I've enjoyed it, but I also get a little intimidated. That's just me - for some reason I am always afraid that I'm not doing enough for dd. Anyway, I've just kind of made up an informal schedule of m-th picking a letter for each day and then doing activities based on that letter. We were doing a lot of phonics work in the fall, but she has actually started reading and seems to do better just practicing, practicing and more practicing. She likes the Spot books, and I have many family members who teach in the ps system and have given us many of these type of books. Then we do math from some old math workbooks that have been donated, and in the afternoons I read to her. This is the most important thing for me, reading good books to her and having her use her imagination while listening. We are reading Sarah, Plain and Tall, right now, then I think we'll start the Little House series. All of this works around the nap/play schedule of my 2 year old, who thinks that he should be able to do exactly the same thing that his sister is doing at all times. And finally, we play a lot of games. Cards, Candyland, Shutes and Ladders and Dominos. Then she has dance on Tuesdays, Daisy (a hs pre-girl scout kind of thing) meetings on Thursdays, a hs craft club that meets once a month and gymnastics on Sundays. Okay, I see what you all mean, when you type it out it does look more substantial. I feel better. And I like the idea that one pp was saying about working on phonics/reading for one term and switching to a more math based schedule the next term. Anyway I've gotten some great ideas from everyone. Good thread.

Tara
#32 of 52 Old 01-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Don't feel intimidated. Every homeschooler I know has days, weeks, sometimes months of being on a roll and doing lots and then days, weeks, and sometimes months of doing less than what they think they should probably be doing.

#33 of 52 Old 01-28-2007, 02:38 PM

yep! Last week we didn't get much done!

We took a field trip day on Tue to go sledding and on Thur my son was too sick to do school. So.....

Some weeks we really churn out the work and some weeks we don't and that is ok!
#34 of 52 Old 02-06-2007, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

so what's everyone doing this week?

ds has suddenly started detesting writing his spelling lists. so, we got a magnetic white board and he uses it with magnetic letters instead of writing the words. then he picks song lyrics, a page in a book, a poem etc. to use for practicing writing. (great idea from my sister) this little change has made a big difference in his attitude towards spelling and writing. he's cruising with reading and i'm thrilled he's finally getting it!

we've been playing with a stop watch and timing everything we do. trying to get him to grasp time better, so far it's still just a game which is fine. we are going to start fractions soon.

we tried doing money- pennies, nickels, and dimes. he wasn't really into it so we put that away for another time.

he's adding and subtracting really well. he loves using his stuffed animals. i'll write a problem down and he'll do the problem in his head, and then put down that many animals.

he checked out 20 books on dinos, snakes, and penguins. he is fascinated with animals in general.

he's been crafting up a storm too.

blogging.jpg 
#35 of 52 Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 AM

Well I first posted to this thread in week 1 of our homeschooling, now we are in week 3. We're starting to figure things out, but not quite all the way there yet ; )

I learned quickly that I need to be a lot more flexible. I no longer have a schedule going by the clock. We go by my son. We watch Curious George at 8 AM and then we either play for a half hour or do phonics. Somedays he is more eager to get it done than others. Then we do another 30-60 minute break before we do math. Those are the only two things I am diligent about getting done first thing. We are doing a Bible story a week with some hands on projects to go with it and I have my list for history and science of topics I will bring up, if he is interested in something we will do an internet search and go to the library.

As far as what his lessons involve. A lot of the games in the curriculum (abeka) are, well, boring. Kieran needs to move. He sits on my old birth ball instead of a chair and can bounce when we ARE sitting with a chart or writing on the white board or something. Otherwise we're playing games. Hopping in the living room, a treasure hunt for letters and making a word, and anything else that he can M O V E for. Moving is the key word here, with my son.

We've fit in a couple of art things that go along with what we're doing, but mostly in beetween his lessons in the morning that is what he does - creates whatever. glue stick, paper, scissors, crayons. He has a blast. I told my husband with part of the tax return im getting a big supply of art stuff for all the kids.

We're going to try to go to the musuem once a week, sometimes in the mornings sometimes late afternoons. We have a membership. We are FINALLY not sick and checking out the local homeschool park day this Wednesday!! And when the weather is good (THIS WEEK! tommorow is supposed to be 70) we'll be outside playing. a lot.

aisling
#36 of 52 Old 02-06-2007, 08:34 AM

We follow a very loose "lesson plan" and this week we are painting to music, finishing reading Kirsten, looking at instruments, listening to music (we always do this but mommy has pulled out new varieties), going to story hr, and one field trip.

Next week, we will hopefully get out to walk to village and look at different achitecture. We will discuss building, bring out building tools, introduce real tools (I'm getting brave) for building and pick out a new chapter book.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#37 of 52 Old 02-06-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post
Don't feel intimidated. Every homeschooler I know has days, weeks, sometimes months of being on a roll and doing lots and then days, weeks, and sometimes months of doing less than what they think they should probably be doing.

This is so true. We haven't done anything in a while.

We had the flu this past week, so we're still recovering from that. I tried to take the kids out yesterday (it's been a week, we're not contagious at this point but we feel exhausted). My 3 year old threw a huge fit about getting in his car seat so it's put me off the idea of taking him out in the car again. I can't wait to leave my house again, however. I feel so house-bound.

Right now, ds2 is doing a puzzle upstairs. Ds1 is making a puzzle. He's drawn the frame and he is drawing a picture inside. I need to let them use scissors and fun craft stuff today. My Kindergartener is completely trust-worthy. My 3 year old is very competent with scissors but I still worry he'll cut his finger-tips off. I don't feel awake enough to sit in there with scissors right now. But we'll do it later today. I might pull out a math worksheet later and see if ds1 wants to do it. I really need to organize my homeschool papers.
#38 of 52 Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM

The past 4-5 days have been rough for us, so I've been focusing on more fun stuff. They got to paint yesterday and today I pulled out the large box of duplos that we have. My 1 year old is wrecking havoc for the older two. They are getting very frustrated with her tearing down everything they do. I'm going to have to figure out what to distract her with.
I'm hoping that in the next day or two we will get back to doing some more worksheets. Eric is doing good with understanding the money and was working on counting by 5's and 10's. Daily he tells the time to the hour just fine. He also is doing addition. I gave him a sheet with math problems on it and told him to draw a picture on it. He insisted on doing the math problems. He did a really good job with them and got all the answers right! I didn't even know he could do that! LOL

Leigh

#39 of 52 Old 02-06-2007, 03:52 PM

I really enjoy the flexibility that homeschooling offers and most of all, I appreciate the fact that my children are learning through play!

I just got back from dollar tree...I'll post in another thread but I found lots of great things. I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to buy more stuff in the winter due to not getting out as much.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#40 of 52 Old 02-06-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighann79 View Post
The past 4-5 days have been rough for us, so I've been focusing on more fun stuff. They got to paint yesterday and today I pulled out the large box of duplos that we have. My 1 year old is wrecking havoc for the older two. They are getting very frustrated with her tearing down everything they do. I'm going to have to figure out what to distract her with.
I'm hoping that in the next day or two we will get back to doing some more worksheets. Eric is doing good with understanding the money and was working on counting by 5's and 10's. Daily he tells the time to the hour just fine. He also is doing addition. I gave him a sheet with math problems on it and told him to draw a picture on it. He insisted on doing the math problems. He did a really good job with them and got all the answers right! I didn't even know he could do that! LOL
would you mind sharing how you went about teaching money and time-telling? just curious, mine is struggling with it and he might just not be ready but i always wonder if it's just my approach too.

blogging.jpg 
#41 of 52 Old 02-06-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
"Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons" is a phonics-based reading method. I like it, but the problem I have with it is that it introduces sounds bit by bit, so if your child burns out halfway through, you've only got half the phonemes done. It is scripted, but we just use it for the stories. And it's cheap! Just one fat book.

DS2 just decided that he wanted to read. We were at the library and he announced that he wanted a book to teach him to read. So we picked up 100 easy lessons book. He is not interested in all the scripting. Each time a new sound comes up I tell him what it is and he goes through and reads the words and sounds but we do none of the activities. So far he is doing great with this method, LOL. He will pull it out and go through a few pages at a time. Today he even started sounding out words in a book.
#42 of 52 Old 02-08-2007, 10:13 AM

This is our first "official homeschooling year" i guess you could say and we are doing "K", dd is soon to be 6. It has taken a while but I am soo glad I can relax about the schedule and getting things done and am more flexible than I thought I could be....being a bit nervous about out decision.
I went ahead with a curriculum ABEKA. "K". We are whizzing through it ....we are almost done with the reading/phonics part...I was taking it slow thinking it is a bit advanced with the cursive writing (were not going to do but she begged to do)....her reading is great, math/numbers/adding/time and money great. I just feel like I am not challening her enough, but it feels "so early" to be doing all these things.

She loves the Magic Treehouse series of books and my SIL (a public school teacher ) gave us a bunch. I am trying to do my crafy things and waiting for the weather to break so we can get OUT!!!
This week she had art class and h.s. gymnastics class and Sat. we are going to a friend's house.

Next week will be nuts with daisy scouts, art, 4-h, gym, gymnastics, valentine parties and so forth. Though I have met some people that seem to be nice and all I am thrilled to have at least met one that is interested in doing "other things" i.e. getting together with the kids and all and we all went bowling a few weeks ago we get along, the two kids seem to and the dh's. I will keep my fingers cross .

:energ y
#43 of 52 Old 02-09-2007, 03:44 AM

We just started a new approach. My intention at the beginning of the year (DD 1st grade) was to put together my own math, phonics, read-alouds etc. I really liked the idea of FIAR, but putting it into practice was a stumbling block for me. As much as I didn't want to go with a pre-packaged curriculum, I soon found that having something laid out in front of me was going to be necessary this first year or so while I figure out what we're doing!

I ordered My Father's World first grade and kindergarten for my kids. We are having a blast, it doesn't take all day and the read-alouds/hands-on activities are such that my 2yo. can join in! It's relieved so much of my anxiety about teaching my kids and the feeling that I'm not doing enough. We're generally done w/ school in no more than 1 1/2 hrs. Of course, there is plenty of learning going on otherwise, but at least the tangible stuff I can say we finished!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#44 of 52 Old 02-09-2007, 10:40 AM

DD decided that she wants to learn about dinosaurs, so I scrambling to gather materials for her.

I tend to go between following her lead and creating lesson plans.

I love the project approach to learning so I will try to use that when Bella shows interest in a subject.

#45 of 52 Old 02-12-2007, 10:57 AM

We've changing from total unschooling to something relaxed that is something else. Basically, I think my son is looking for something else with more substance. Currently, they play all day, which is awesome. But I forget to suggest things and he forgets to ask. Sometimes it comes up at the end of the day that he wanted to do science or something and it's too late. So, we sat down together and designed a loose weekly schedule. He chose a subject for each weekday. There's no time limit on those days, but it will serve as a reminder to us to do something in that area.

Thursday (I think) was math day but he lost interest after 10 minutes of worksheets (he loves worksheets) so that was it. I'm trying to brainstorm alternative ways of doing subjects. He loves to build things so I think there are lots of possibilities there.

Today is "painting and art day" per his design. We'll definitely pull out the paints and such later today. But I think I'm going to incorporate a simple study on an artist on this day as well. He loves the art museum and so I think he would be open to learning about different artists, even if it's only superficially. We'll start with Leonardo da Vinci, simply because I have a bunch of books on da Vinci, including a children's book.

I had also thought about introducing a musical composer periodically, just to tell the simple story of his life (e.g. Mozart was a child musician) and to play some music. The kids love different types of music, including classical. I started reading the Ambleside Online free curriculum yesterday so my head is full of random ideas now. I think I'm going to read some of the poetry Ambleside lists on our language arts day, because it seems fun.
#46 of 52 Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 AM

I have a dd in K. we use the free unit lessons from the core knowledge website (the Baltimore Curriculum ones). THen for math I use Saxon, and for phonics I use Explode the Code Books 1,2, and 3 and Happy Phonics. Then there is the library of course...my favorite resource of all )

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#47 of 52 Old 02-12-2007, 11:06 AM

Dd just started showing interest in doing phonics. I have lots of games.

I also started making her some math games and such. We aren't technically K yet (per school yr) but DD is 5 so we are kinda doing pre-k/k depending on her interest.

#48 of 52 Old 02-13-2007, 01:16 AM

I just picked up some great Disney Princess ABC and number work books at our local dollar store. These will work perfect for my DD that is 5. We are just starting to learn the alphabet and numbers by site, name, and sound.

We are using the letter of the week program http://www.letteroftheweek.com/

We also do circle time weekly where was study our Bible verse, storytime, music, flash cards of the letters that we have covered so far (A-D), and play board games to work on numbers.

We are starting a ballet/tap class this week, attend a bible study once a week, and we try to get to the library once a week. We also have computer time daily.

I've been working at adding art projects to our weekly schedule as well.

We just received our books on Friday: Singapore Math 1A and 1B and Writing without tears. These look like great books. We started 1A this weekend and she is loving the workbook.
#49 of 52 Old 02-18-2007, 01:26 PM

Leftfield,
Starfall.com has a section with composers...they have a jutebox with Mozart and others. It would go along well with your idea.

At our house we follow the girls lead mostly. I introduce stuff too though...like telling them about Saint Valentine and suggesting we make cards and making glitter, glue, stickers, paper doiles, scissors, markers, etc available.

We're getting into science projects lately...pouring, mixing, making things bubble, etc.
#50 of 52 Old 02-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subscribing!

Desiree

#51 of 52 Old 02-19-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post
Leftfield,
Starfall.com has a section with composers...they have a jutebox with Mozart and others. It would go along well with your idea.

At our house we follow the girls lead mostly. I introduce stuff too though...like telling them about Saint Valentine and suggesting we make cards and making glitter, glue, stickers, paper doiles, scissors, markers, etc available.

We're getting into science projects lately...pouring, mixing, making things bubble, etc.
i haven't looked at starfall in a long time and was thrilled after this post to find the artist and music sections, can't wait to show my boy!

blogging.jpg 
#52 of 52 Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Unschooling here .

Ds has been enjoying playing with numbers, basically doing addition and simple multiplication. Stuff like "Hey mom, four 2s are eight!"

He's drawing more and more interested in being read to.

We put up a birdfeeder yesterday and are waiting for the birds to find it.

He plays a lot of computer games and has a lot of associated sight words.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page