anyone want to start a Kindy thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 01-24-2007, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We can share ideas and tell what things we're studying about etc. It would motivate me to keep better records of what we're doing!

blogging.jpg 
#2 of 52 Old 01-24-2007, 05:33 PM

Good idea!

We're doing Five in a Row, reading "Madeline" this week. We're doiong geography today and so far we've:

-studied a map of France, talked about why major cities are on rivers, looked at locations of Paris and a small town we visited when dd was wee
-looked up pictures of architecture featured in Madeline and compared them to illustrations in the book. We also read a bit about each location (the Louve, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, etc.)
-looked through a photo album of dh's and my trip to Paris (many, many years ago)
-colored and labeled the French flag and talked about how every country has a flag
-talked about the Chunnel between England and France
-talked about the distance between our city and Paris and how we would travel there
-pretended to sail on a ship to England and France

We'll probably practice some handwriting later and maybe do some math worksheets if dd wants to. I've got a nasty chest cold, so I'm trying to encourage a lot of silent reading time on the bed

I feel like we've been so much more productive now that I've written this down!

peace, Beth
#3 of 52 Old 01-24-2007, 05:49 PM

I have one in Kindy but he follows along with what his brother does. We are doing a unit on the Human Body for science, studying the origins of numbers for math/history, studying ways to protect the earth for spirit, nusery rhymes(why can't I spell that word: ) and creation myths for social studies and planting a garden. DS1 goes into everything a bit more indept than DS2, except for the garden. DS2 has more seeds starting then I do, LOL.
#4 of 52 Old 01-24-2007, 07:13 PM

We're kind of unschooling, but kind of not. I'm not really sure. Anyway DS is 4.5. We're working on Letter of the Week. We just started this week with A. This is mommy led. Other than that anything he works on is child led.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#5 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 12:18 AM

I have 2 kidergarden kids this year- DS is 6, DD is almost 5. We are using My Father's World Curriculum in a secular manner (basically we just skip all of the suggested bible verses, etc.).

This week we're learning about dinosaurs. We've read about different dinosaurs. Tomorrow I'm planning to have the kids make dinosaur models out of clay.

Both of the kids are starting to decode and learn how to read. Several times a day, one of my children begs me to sit down with them and listen to them read a book. We were gifted a big box of Bob books, and both kids are really excited about the fact that they are able to read a WHOLE book

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#6 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolapunk View Post
We can share ideas and tell what things we're studying about etc. It would motivate me to keep better records of what we're doing!
We're unschooling, but I started a blog to keep records. I kept trying to write in a journal, but I never stuck to it. Now I just post interesting/fun things that we do on my blog. It's about the whole family's learning journey. Someday i'll print it out or something- make a "memory" book for the kids.
#7 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 01:03 AM

We've been doing mostly unschooling up until this point. We've been doing some Alphaphonics and the Singapore workbooks when DS wants to. We also do the Leapfrog DVD's and some Bob books.

I just ordered My Father's World and we'll start that as soon as it gets here! I'm really excited about it!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#8 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 01:11 AM

My 5 year old is a bit advanced but he just finished the 2nd K math book for Horizon math. We will be starting the 1st grade book next week. He is on book 2 of Explode the Code. He is reading through the "Little Bear" books and the Sing, Spell, Read, and Write readers from the 1st grade kit. We also are doing a botany study with Sonlight Science and doing the Vos Story Bible New Testament. And he writes a page of words or letters everyday for handwriting.

I know this sounds like a lot but he does most of this on his own while I teach my 3rd grade niece with ADD. He is very self-motivated and almost self-taught. He is a joy!
#9 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 03:52 AM

We just started with Abeka this week. Two things. #1 I'm starting him over from the start of the year (even though he already went through it all in school) and #2 we're putting lessons together since right now it IS all review (except handwriting, which we're going slower with, i've also decided to give it it's own seperate time rather than right after phonics as the curriculum suggests, because he rushed through the page today anxious to play. Too much at once for my spirited son!)

I am also not following the curriculum completely. Some of the games seem more classroom focused. Some are just boring. I am supplementing with more hands on things, and things I KNOW he would prefer to do that would reenforce the letter sounds just as well as the ones in the curriculum (if not better, for Kieran, given the way he learns). Rather than sitting and playing I Spy with a few objects I got a whole table full and let him sort them into which vowel he hears in the word. He LOVES sorting things, he will pull out all of his castles stuff and sort the knights, horses, dragons, then resort each individual pile by color, etc. Count them. He is SUCH a learn by play kind of child. And anything he does, he likes to be HIS idea otherwise he rejects it.

We're only doing basics with Abeka. I have What Your Kindergartener Needs To Know and opened up to the history & geography page today to start covering social studies a little. I taught him the continents song (my older son learned this in Montessori school), talked about where we live, and he wasn't too interested, so I showed him the photo of the earth (pg 117) and he asked me about whats INSIDE the earth. So this afternoon we grabbed a book about the earth from the library, and I have bookmarked a couple of pages. We will go over that tomorow and take it where ever it goes from there. I am willing to go day by day, and go where ever his interests lead us.

We're going to add a poem and Bible in the mornings before starting any lessons, I think that will help with focusing and getting him calm. I have learned quickly that he rushes through school papers the same way he rushes through everything in life - ready to get it done and move onto the next thing. THAT is why he wasn't doing well in school. I really believe he can do this stuff, it's just a matter of him slowing down long enough to listen to directions and well listen in general (to the letter sounds).

We're still on the goal of back to school by 2nd grade, but I did bring up bringing our older son home next year and hs'ing through the elm years with my husband (thats the highest he is willing to even consider at the moment - and i'll take it for now. A year at a time right?!) So. We'll see.

Sorry I totally just wrote a book ; ) This is the only place I have to talk about this stuff in such detail!!!

Aisling
#10 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou View Post
We're unschooling, but I started a blog to keep records. I kept trying to write in a journal, but I never stuck to it. Now I just post interesting/fun things that we do on my blog. It's about the whole family's learning journey. Someday i'll print it out or something- make a "memory" book for the kids.
Me too! Sometimes, the grandparents read it too. I will definitely print it out into a book one day.

My oldest son is 5 1/2. He would otherwise be in kindy this year. We are unschooling, although lately, he's been looking for more structure. I don't know if it's still unschooling or not and I don't really care, as long as it makes him happy. He wants us to create a Science Club at home each week. I think the two of us are going to sit down together and make weekly chunks like, "Tuesday afternoon: science, Wednesday afternoon: outing, Thursday afternoon: math". We're all introverts so our days tend to run together sometimes. No one has the strong desire to leave the house and the kids go off and play together for most of the day. We lose track of time. So I think a loose schedule will keep us from forgetting to do certain fun things. RIght now, they're on a Moon expedition. We really need to go to the library and return some books, but it will be difficult to get them to leave the house before lunch. We all need something on the fridge to give us loose structure.

In terms of what we're working on...Ds1 has starting reading but is still in the sounding out phase. He also likes to write. He enjoys Miquon math worksheets when I think to print them out. We have a chemistry curriculum that we're supposed to be working through, as science is his most passionate interest. I personally struggle with keeping a tidy kitchen and that gets in the way of doing experiments. Plus, I have a 3 year old who likes to be intimately involved in everything we do, so it gets a little messy and challenging. Ds1 is very into art as well, so we are frequent visitors of the Art Museum. He's recently finished a watercolor class and he starts a clay class next month.

That's us!
#11 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

wow, it is so neat to hear what everyone is doing!

i HS'd my son for pre-school last year, but i took it too seriously, became overwhelmed and felt like it was too hard. so, we put him in K at the public school this year and i had fight after fight with the teacher and principal about various things so we ended up pulling. i'm working very hard at being more relaxed about my approach and going with the flow...

We use spell to write and read and it's FABULOUS. DS is taking to it really well, he is reading pretty darn well on his own, although if he's not in the mood, he will make silly mistakes. he's writing very well too, as soon as we switched from the big giant lined paper to regular notebook paper, his handwriting improved dramatically.

We are using math-u-see for math and LOVING that as well. Last week he couldn't count by two's, this week he can count by twos, fives, and tens, AND is adding and subtracting like a pro.

we just joined theyoungscientistsclub, they send you a kit with activities and nic thinks it's so cool to get a box of science stuff. between that and our ridiculous book collection, we read a lot about science, that seems to be what he's most interested in.

I just ordered some books on different cultures and religions, as soon as they come we will start reading about those.

We have our homeschool playgroup today, we'll see how everyone feels this afternoon. We'll probably do a reading lesson, math lesson, and read some books.

blogging.jpg 
#12 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 12:21 PM

I'll have to add this thread to me favorites...we're going to be started in the fall (my ds turns 5 in April), but ds is almost reading, he just took a huge leap last week and started sounding out words! It's so exciting to see him learning. I'm just following his lead and answering what he asks. I did buy him a reading blaster computer game. And I'd like to get some Bob books, but I'll have to wait until next month. I'm fairly unschoolish but dh isn't comfortable with it so I'm trying to figure out what kind of curriculum we're going to have on hand...whether or not we'll really follow it is a whole nother story. lol.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

#13 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabohl View Post
And I'd like to get some Bob books, but I'll have to wait until next month.
See if your library has the books. I never would've bought them, we were given a set from a family member who is a school teacher. Before we had our own set, we checked them out from the library. That was MORE than enough for my oldest child- he really didn't enjoy the books at all. He prefered the regular readers from the library.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
#14 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll jump in! We do a Waldorf-inspired/unit study/whatever we want approach. We're also detoxing from k12.

Right now we read a chapter from Little House in the Big Woods each afternoon, and I center whatever we do at main lesson time around that.

We've also been using A Reason for Handwriting and the Family Math book.

In the afternoon, we have "You Read to Me and I'll Read to You" time. She reads me an early reader, then I read the Little House chapter.

Other than that, lots of crafts, handwork, and baking.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#15 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 04:47 PM

I'm homeschooling my DD (7.5) and DS (5). DD was in 2nd grade when I pulled her out. DS turned 5 after the cut-off-date so he wasn't in school yet. Since we are homeschooling now, he's in Kindergarten. (our school has different rules )

We are mostly unschooling, but he enjoys work books quite a bit. For now, we are just doing pages I print off or that catch his attention in the books we got from Wal-Mart. Later I plan on trying Singapore math and the Italic type handwriting (click here). That's the only structured stuff we plan on for now.

We also get science kits from here. These we do as they show interest and DH and I have motivation. LOL They have loved most of the ones we've done so far. We are up to #6 (Volcanoes) but might start skipping around some. We have up to #19. We just haven't had the time/space/supplies to make the volcano yet. Anyway, we love the kits.

Leigh

#16 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 06:05 PM

Ds is 4 and he has been doing some of the calvert worksheets from dd's left over K curriculum.He prefers the math ones.Not at all interested in reading yet.We read a lot of books on the universe since we are heading to a planetarium tomorrow.Lots of bugs books.Caring for the mealworms,superworms,and frogs.Preparing for the mantis babies,and whatever comes out of the cocoons we have.Doing plantings inside.They are starting gardens this spring,and will help me build a pond.We set out a variety of bird feeders and water.We got books to ID the birds that come.He loves playing JR.monopoly,but still gets a bit mad if he loses.

Dh insists I put him in ps,but I am putting it off till he is 6,and he can either go into K or grade 1.Hopefully by fall 2008 dh will have a change of heart,and will let ds hs too.

We just started a crystal garden as I finally found some bluing liquid the other day at the store.I have some blown eggs(poke holes in either end and BLOW) and cracked ones that well will use to make some things.Walnut shell halves will be used to make boats and picture holders.Clay for creatures and pots.
#17 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 06:18 PM

Each day DD 5 and I read 1 story from 100 Easy Lessons, do 1/2-1 page of Singapore Math grade 1 (I have them do 1A for kindy and then repeat it with less help the next year) and 2 letters in a handwriting book. Takes about 20 minutes.
#18 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Each day DD 5 and I read 1 story from 100 Easy Lessons, do 1/2-1 page of Singapore Math grade 1 (I have them do 1A for kindy and then repeat it with less help the next year) and 2 letters in a handwriting book. Takes about 20 minutes.
not familiar with the 100 lessons book, what is it like?

blogging.jpg 
#19 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 08:35 PM

DD is 5 and would have been starting 'prep' on the 29th. (I think prep is equivalent to your K.) My friend whose dd is staring prep was told they mostly learn letters and numbers this year. My daughter is only just starting to become interested in learning letters or numbers so only knows a few of them so far. That will be our goal for the year to learn all the letters and recognize the numbers to 10. Mostly we play some letter and number games. Some days we do a page of Math-U-see. We have Five In A Row and have rowed a few books but not for awhile now. I don't think she is ready to write yet except for what she freely does herself. She is just starting to move from a fisted grip to a more mature one but likes to hold it right down at the nib. I bought her some grade 1 lined paper thinking it would help but that seems to make her letters far more wonkey. So am holding off on anything formal and just encouraging her to draw. Her own free drawings are quite detailed like she draw a picture of me complete with ear rings and eye lashes :
#20 of 52 Old 01-25-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

In the afternoon, we have "You Read to Me and I'll Read to You" time.
I LOVE this book. It's way above the abilities of my kindy-age children, but it's at just the right level for my 7yo.

#21 of 52 Old 01-26-2007, 01:10 AM

My Dd1 is 4 so not officially K level yet.
However, we don't really follow the schools.

We go to the library for story time and to borrow books once a week.
We go to as many shows offered at the park & rec. in the community as we can...puppet shows, plays, magic shows, etc.
We go to a gymnanstics class.
Dd1 is doing Suzuki violin lessons.

We play with friends, draw, paint, bake and cook, take walks...

We've just started reading longer chapter books. Such as, Charlotte's Web and Stewart Little, and she's hooked on The Magic Treehouse book series. Those books are very good! Even my just turned 3yo is into them!
#22 of 52 Old 01-26-2007, 03:06 AM

I'll jump in too. We are kind of eclectic. Mostly a mix of unschooling with a few unit study type things when dd asks for them. This year she has been teaching herself to read. I wouldn't have expected it from her, but she is independent and very motivated. I can't teach her (she wants to do it herself). She likes workbooky type things so we have a stack that she can do as much or as little in as she wants and she goes in phases with them.

Right now she wants to learn about fairies so we have 20+ fairy books from the library with another 20 or so on order. I think we might try to build a fairy house of some sort inside (since it's cold and snowy outside).

She does tons of art, illustrates stories and then either dictates them for me to write the words or if they are short I help her spell what she wants to say.

I think that's about it. math, science, soc. studies all kind of get wrapped into everything else although she goes through "experimizing" phases where she wants to do lots of science experiments.
#23 of 52 Old 01-26-2007, 03:11 AM
Banned

Thanks for starting this thread -- it's neat to see what other people are doing.
#24 of 52 Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
Thanks for starting this thread -- it's neat to see what other people are doing.
I know right? I am reading all these posts and loving them, just knowing you are all out there doing this too is just really great and inspiring!

We haven't done anything yet today because I worked overnight last night, but, we are going to go read some books about penguins from the library, do a SWR lesson, primer lesson, and do the hokey pokey

oh and i guess we should make dinner too

blogging.jpg 
#25 of 52 Old 01-27-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
We use spell to write and read and it's FABULOUS. DS is taking to it really well, he is reading pretty darn well on his own, although if he's not in the mood, he will make silly mistakes. he's writing very well too, as soon as we switched from the big giant lined paper to regular notebook paper, his handwriting improved dramatically.
I hear you on this one. We also use SWR and it's so amazing what teaching all the sounds right up front can do. We did it a little differently though to start. I taught my dd all the phonograms and got her reading really well. We are now going to move onto the lists in the Wise guide.

We also switched from the huge lined paper to regular 1/2in paper and her handwriting improved right away. Once someone pointed out to me that she was "drawing" her letters on the standard K paper, a lightbulb went off. lol

Sandy
#26 of 52 Old 01-27-2007, 07:49 PM

What is SWR?
#27 of 52 Old 01-27-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post
What is SWR?
Spell to Write and Read! It's fabulous!
#28 of 52 Old 01-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Subscribing. Tell you later what we're doing!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#29 of 52 Old 01-27-2007, 10:47 PM

Fun thread.

We are following Ambleside.
The 1st term, we focused on phonics. He completed the lessons right before Christmas. He's reading really well now and it's so cool to see

This term the focus is math. We're using Math U See.

We also do Bible lessons, work on his Bible club memory, learn a hymn of the month.

Listener to a composer per term.
Last term was Mozart, this term is Schumann.

We also study an artist per term. I save the pictures to my computer and have them printed as photos. We put them in an album and label them with the artist.

This week we have Matisse's The Goldfish out. It's on the fridge for a couple weeks and the screen saver on the computer.

We do a bit of Spanish here and there.

Reading--I read to him. Treasure Island right now. He reads easy readers to me and we review phonics rules.

We do craft, art, science projects but not following anything for that.

Outside time and time to be a little boy
#30 of 52 Old 01-28-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
not familiar with the 100 lessons book, what is it like?
"Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons" is a phonics-based reading method. I like it, but the problem I have with it is that it introduces sounds bit by bit, so if your child burns out halfway through, you've only got half the phonemes done. It is scripted, but we just use it for the stories. And it's cheap! Just one fat book.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page